• News
  • Celebrities
  • Finance
  • Crypto
  • Travel
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Others

The numbers are in: income gap has become a vast chasm since 1979

Mother Jones is running a series of infographics in its most recent issue that follow income trends in the U.S. Among other findings, they show that the top .01 percent of Americans make 875 times what the bottom 90 percent make, and that the rich have gotten richer and the poor poorer to such a degree that if pre-1979 income trends had continued from 1979 to 2005, the top 10 percent of Americans would now be making between $4,912 and $597,241 less than they do now each year, and the remaining 90 percent would be making $3,733 to $10,100 more.

Some of the more shocking charts, after the jump.

When adjusted for inflation, the top 1 percent have seen runaway increases in average household income since 1979 and the top 20 percent have seen a steady rise; everyone else saw stagnation or decline:

*Image has not been found. URL: http://images.americanindependent.com/inequality-p25_averagehouseholdincom.png

Image courtesy of Mother Jones*

A Harvard study shows that Americans have a hopeful but highly inaccurate concept of wealth distribution in the U.S. The vast majority of respondents to the Harvard poll also said they wish it were even more equitable:

Image has not been found. URL: http://images.americanindependent.com/inequality-page25_actualdistribwithlegend.png

Image courtesy of Mother Jones

Tax rates for those making a $1 million in 2010 dollars are half what they were in 1945; meanwhile, corporate tax rates have plummeted such that corporate taxes went from covering nearly a third of federal tax revenue in the ’50s to under 10 percent today. Payroll taxes have skyrocketed to make up for corporate tax cuts:

Image has not been found. URL: http://images.americanindependent.com/inequality-taxrate_3.png

Image courtesy of Mother Jones

Discussion & Comments (0)

    Recent Articles

    • Things You Should Know about North America

      Things You Should Know about North America

      Get to know more about North America.

    • Eurovision 2010 Paula Seling Unpredictable Contest

      Eurovision 2010 Paula Seling Unpredictable Contest

      Paula Seling's experience on the Eurovision stage led her to declare that "Eurovision is an unpredictable contest". Which may explain the success of the young Lena from Germany, about whom the predictions before the event did not offer much chances for victory.

    • VIPRow.me - The Best Sports Streaming Website Today

      VIPRow.me - The Best Sports Streaming Website Today

      Have you ever contemplated creating a user-friendly site dedicated to sports-related free live streaming channels?

    • Learn How To Download, Install, And Use The Xnxubd 2022 Frame App

      Learn How To Download, Install, And Use The Xnxubd 2022 Frame App

      XNXUBD 2022 Nvidia users are able to watch thousands of videos and other contents online. XNXUBD 2022 Nvidia New is a piece of software that enables people to watch videos online without having to pay for memberships. On a graphics card, the XNXubd also provides some of the best gaming and virtual reality experiences.

    • Xvideostudio Video Editor Apk Free Download For Pc Full Version In 2022

      Xvideostudio Video Editor Apk Free Download For Pc Full Version In 2022

      A new edition of the Video Editor Apk for xVideostudio.Video Studio has all the latest features, including support for multiple video download formats in HD, FHD, and even 4K resolutions.

    • 9 Best Lotion For Masturbation - Popular Choice For 2022

      9 Best Lotion For Masturbation - Popular Choice For 2022

      Masturbation is a common activity for men and women. It's a natural and risk-free way to explore your body, experience pleasure, and release sexual tension.

    • Reasons Why You Need To Stop Watching Movies From Sflix

      Reasons Why You Need To Stop Watching Movies From Sflix

      Without having to sign up or pay anything, you can watch movies online for free with SFlix. It has more than 10,000 movies and television shows.

    • Coi Leray Mom And Dad's Family History & Wife, Explained

      Coi Leray Mom And Dad's Family History & Wife, Explained

      Coi Leray Collins (born May 11, 1997) is a rapper from the United States. Leray started publishing songs to SoundCloud in 2014, and in 2018 she released her breakthrough track "Huddy" as well as her first mixtape, Everythingcoz.

    • Listen And Download Music On MyFreeMP3 For Free

      Listen And Download Music On MyFreeMP3 For Free

      Are you in a bind and looking for a place to obtain free mp3 songs? Never again will you need to bother, since this article has everything necessary to obtain your solution. Download free music from MyfreeMP3.com, one of the world's most popular websites.