Latest In

News

Prince Harry And Meghan Reportedly Given A Netflix Ultimatum

Even though their Netflix documentary did well after it came out last year, it looks like Harry and Meghan reportedly given a Netflix ultimatum with the full £81 million ($103 million) they were supposed to get. Only half of what was promised was given to them, and it is said that the royal couple will have to work to get the rest.

Daisy-Mae Schmitt
Jun 27, 2023243 Shares34769 Views
Even though their Netflix documentary did well after it came out last year, it looks like Harry and Meghan reportedly given a Netflix ultimatumwith the full £81 million ($103 million) they were supposed to get. Only half of what was promised was given to them, and it is said that the royal couple will have to work to get the rest.
This streaming ultimatum hasn't been talked about by Prince Harry, Meghan Markle, or their reps yet. The Duke of Sussex, on the other hand, has a series coming out in August called Heart of Invictus.

Harry And Meghan Reportedly Given A Netflix Ultimatum

Netflix demands Harry and Meghan make more content if they want to get paid

It is said that Harry and Meghan have been told to make more "can't-miss" shows for Netflix if they want to be paid £40 million in overdue fees. The couple's soul-baring six-part series was the most-watched program on the streaming giant.
But it is thought that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex only got paid half of the £81 million they were supposed to get. A source in the business said that they will only get the rest if they make interesting content. The US giant is pleased with how many people are watching the Harry & Meghan series. It shows that they can be box-office hits if they are made in the right way.
Having to make content in order to make money seems like a pretty normal way to run a business. But the couple has only gotten half of what is said to be a $100 million deal, and they won't get the other half until they make "content of real interest."
That's the hard part because the first Harry & Meghan docuseries did well for the streaming service, but the Sussexes have had trouble with the second one, just like they did at Spotify. The Wall Street Journal says that Netflix turned down several of the couple's ideas, and it's unlikely that their contract will be extended when it ends in 2025.
Netflix said in a statement that it was "pleased" to sign the Royal couple and that it was still looking forward to some "great ideas." This was different from what was said last week when a streaming giant insider said that the "lemon has been fully squeezed" and that there were no plans to make a sequel to the documentary.
Netflix was pleased to sign Harry and Meghan and is looking for some great ideas going forward. But the remainder of the deal relies on them producing those good ideas. The deal’s continually under review which is normal for ones of this magnitude.- Netflix
This streaming ultimatum hasn't been talked about by Prince Harry, Meghan Markle, or their reps yet. The Duke of Sussex, on the other hand, has a series coming out in August called Heart of Invictus. Markle's cartoon show Pearl had been dropped by the streaming giant as a way to save money. The Netflix situation comes after Meghan and Harry were kicked off of Spotify because Meghan's show wasn't doing well. The company's head of podcast business, Sahar Elhabashi, said in a statement:
We have made the difficult but necessary decision to make a strategic realignment of our group and reduce our global podcast vertical and other functions by approximately 200 people, or 2% of Spotify’s workforce.- Sahar Elhabashi
With the docuseries about what life was really like behind palace walls and Harry's memoir, Spare, the Sussexes have done a great job telling their side of the story. However, they've had a harder time getting people interested in their other projects, like the Live to Lead series about influential people in the news.

Conclusion

It's been said that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have been told to make more must-watch shows for Netflix in order to get the rest of their huge deal. In late 2020, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex signed a deal with the streaming giant that was said to be worth $150 million. However, it is thought that they have only been paid half of that amount so far.
The most exciting part of their work together was the six-part series Harry & Meghan, which became a worldwide hit and was the most-watched documentary on the streaming giant. Their company, Archewell, only made a documentary series called Live to Lead about global leaders and activists, and Harry's video about the Invictus Games, Heart of Invictus, will come out later this year.
Jump to
Latest Articles
Popular Articles