Danni Washington: The Ocean Advocate Dressed as A Mermaid
Danni Washington is known as a science communicator and avid ocean advocate aiming to share her knowledge of the ocean and other scientific concepts through TV shows! The African American is setting an example on female minorities inclusion while pursuing a path around STEM. She's fun, possesses a whirlwind of charisma, science smarts, and she's blazing a trail in the #SciComm field! Here is her bio:
Miami native with Jamaican roots, Danni Washington is deeply passionate about the oceans and science communications. She dreamed of studying the oceans since she was six years old. Growing up, she knew she was a little different but her mother repeatedly told her to follow her passions.
COPYRIGHT_WI: Published on https://washingtonindependent.com/ebv/danni-washington/ by Candice Burns on 2020-09-02T00:00:00.000Z
At age 21, she co-founded along with her mom, the Big Blue & You - a non-profit organization dedicated to inspiring and educating youth about marine conservation through the arts and media.
- Danni Washington has over 10+ years of media experience in the scientific field by being a seasoned TV Personality, Science Communicator, and Ocean Explorer.
- Danni Washington started her career as a model and ventured into the showbiz industry.
- She is the first African-American/woman of color to host her own nationally-syndicated science show which is seen in nearly 95 million homes in the US on FOX called Xploration Nature Knows Best.
- Most recently, Danni Washington is featured as a correspondent on a weekly CBS series called Mission Unstoppable with host Miranda Cosgrove who is also co-Executive Producer alongside fellow actor Geena Davis.
- Danni Washington has also hosted other STEM shows including Xploration Nature Knows Best on FOX, Science the $#!* Out Of It for Facebook Watch, and Strange Evidence on the Science Channel.
- For three years, Danni Washington served as an on-camera personality and science filmmaker with Untamed Science and Ocean GEMS.
- Danni Washington co-created and produced a new initiative called Sea Youth Rise Up, which is a collaborative effort to elevate the role of youth leadership in ocean conservation policy and advocacy on World Oceans Day.
- She's been a featured member of Amy Poehler's Smart Girls #STEM10 documentary series, a presenter at the G.I.R.L. 2017 Girl Scouts National Conference, a featured speaker at the Borneo Global Issues Conference among other conferences and summits.
"When we breathe in oxygen, one out of every two breaths was created out of processes in the ocean. A lot of people have that mixed up; they think it's just the trees providing the oxygen for us, but it's the ocean as well. I'm hoping the women coming up into this field and into marine science will be focused on expanding and sharing that message on a broader level. The sense of wonder and curiosity every time I looked at the ocean and horizon really sparked something inside me."
Upon graduating from University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science with a Bachelor's of Science degree in Marine Science/Biology, Danni Washington co-founded a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to inspiring and educating youth about marine conservation through the arts and media called the Big Blue & You. She has also wowed audiences as an on-camera personality for a variety of projects including Untamed Science, Ocean GEMS, and co-starred alongside Jaden Smith in the educational outreach video for the film After Earth (you know that "small" film with some "up and coming actors" Will Smith and Jaden Smith?). All jokes aside, this is a wondrous feat.
"Being a science communicator is important because representation matters. As the first African-American woman to host her own science television show, I think about the millions of young girls who might be thinking about pursuing a career in STEM and simply need to connect with role models that look like them to believe that it's possible."
"As a science communicator, I can be the catalyst that can help make that change for the better. Plus, it's a lot of FUN being a science communicator!"
"I became a certified scuba diver at 17 and finally had the opportunity to go under a wave and experience the magnificent world under the ocean. That fascination, that curiosity has not waned - it is full force for me all the time. And I just want to connect people to the water, to the ocean, to show them that our lives on the planet are dependent on the ocean and we're at a tipping point."
Danni Washington has a deep appreciation for the arts and seeks any creative outlet to express herself including dance, film and music. She is an avid scuba diver, passionate curly girl, stand-up paddleboarding enthusiast, MOCHA MERMAID and overall lover of the natural world, she is ALWAYS ready for an ADVENTURE.
"From the time I was very young I knew that I wanted to be a voice and a face for the ocean. The Ocean can't keep humans up-to-date with what's going on, and I realized the disconnect between academia and understanding. I wanted to get the word out and not only talk about the bad things happening, but the beauty and how to connect with the ocean in general. I believe there's a reason we all are made of 75% water in our bodies."
As we face challenges like climate change and ocean pollution, it's important that there is a real connection and line of communication between the general public and the science community. Sometimes, there seems to be a disconnect between the two and not enough conversation about what scientists are discovering today. When we have those conversations between the general public and the science community, that's when change will happen.
She does a fantastic job of sharing the world through her fun social media posts and TV shows.
- Co-Founder & Board Member of the Big Blue & You
- Co-Creator of Sea Youth Rise Up
- Advisory Board Member of 5 Gyres Institute
- Advisory Board member of North American Association of Environmental Educators (NAAEE)
- Advisory Council member with Pangeaseed Foundation
- Ocean Unite Network Member
- Advisor to The Ocean Project
- EarthXFilm Advisory Board
- Bachelor of Science (Double Major) in Marine Science & Biology at the University of Miami (Class of 2008)
- Host of nationally syndicated television show Xploration Nature Knows Best (FOX + Amazon Prime)
- Official Spokesperson at the 2018 USA Science & Engineering Festival (Washington D.C.)
- 2018 EarthX Global Gala Emerging Female Leader of the Year Awardee
- CA Technologies 2017 STEM10 Innovator
- Naturalist at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Biscayne Nature Center
- Advanced Open Water Diver (NAUI) and Open Water Diver (PADI) Certification
- CCR (Closed Circuit Rebreather) Trainee with Silent Diving (St. Croix Dec 2015)
- On-Camera Personality with Untamed Science (2008-2011)
- Toyota & Audubon Society Together Green Fellow (2011)
- Winner of the ROXY Follow Your Heart Tour Winner ($10K Prize)
- Green For All Fellow (2007-2010)