Prosecutors today unexpectedly canceled the first court hearing scheduled for the underpants bomber -- the Nigerian man suspected of trying to blow up a
Prosecutors today unexpectedly canceled the first court hearing scheduled for the “underpants bomber” — the Nigerian man suspected of trying to blow up a Northwest Airlines jet en route to Detroit on Friday.
The Justice Department was expected to seek a warrant to take a DNA sample from Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab,, who reportedly told the FBI that he was planning to set off an explosive on the plane, and had been trained by al-Qaeda operatives in Yemen. He’s also said that more such attacks are planned. The criminal complaint against Abdulmutallab can be found here (PDF).
Interestingly, while the 23-year-old Nigerian says he’s associated with al-Qaeda, the Obama administration did not hesitate to treat him as a civilian criminal, rather than as an “unprivileged enemy belligerent,” although arguably the attempt to blow up a civilian plane as a terrorist attack on U.S. soil could have been characterized as an act of war, as the 9/11 terror attacks were for years.
CNN reports today that Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula is claiming responsibility for the Christmas Day attack.
Dean Boyd, a Justice Department spokesman, would not comment on the decision to charge Abdulmutallab in a civilian court, saying: “At this time, we have no comment on the ongoing investigation or any prosecutorial deliberations — beyond the public charging documents that have been filed in the case.”
Those public documents indicate that the Nigerian man was charged with attempting to destroy the aircraft. He’s been charged by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Michigan, along with the Counterterrorism Section of the Justice Department’s National Security Division.
His arraignment was held in the hospital in Ann Arbor, Michigan where he is now being treated. Instead of blowing up the plane, Abdulmutallab reportedly set only his crotch and legs and seat 19A of the aircraft on fire.
MA-Sen: A Text Message From Scott Brown
BOSTON -- Having signed up for Scott Brown’s text message service for election day, I just got this text: Are you about to have lunch? It’s a great time to
MA-Sen: 150 Conservative Bloggers Fan Out, Looking for Scandals
BOSTON -- The mysterious Election Journal blog, which first released the infamous 2008 video of two bumbling New Black Panther Party members waving nightsticks
MA-Sen: Brown Wins
BOSTON -- At 9:20, the first rumors of Scott Brown’s victory in the Massachusetts Senate race started to work around the room. A moment later, Doug Flutie
MA-Sen: 66 to 19
BOSTON -- That, via Alex Isenstadt and Josh Kraushaar, is the number that defined the Massachusetts Senate race more than anything else. From the primary
MA-Sen: Out-of-Staters for Brown
BOSTON -- A surprising discovery at yesterday’s People’s Rally in Worcester was just how many people had traveled into the state to assist, in whatever way,
MA-Sen: Loyal Democrats Grouse About Coakley
BOSTON -- A little while after noon, a steady crowd of Democratic voters streamed into the Cathedral High School Gymnasium to cast votes for their party’s
MA-Sen: Republicans Celebrate Coakley’s Gaffes in Worcester
WORCESTER, Mass. - By the way, said Curt Schilling. One more thing. I am not a Yankees fan. The overflowing crowd at Worcester’s Mechanics Hall on
Menendez, Lautenberg to Continue BP-Lockerbie Investigation
Sens. Robert Menendez and Frank Lautenberg, both New Jersey Democrats, will continue to seek details about BP’s alleged involvement in the release last year of
Net Investors Bullish on Palin’s Prospects for Staying on Ticket
Just for fun, the Internet prediction Website Intrade has opened a contract on whether Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin will be withdrawn as McCain’s running mate.
No Experience Necessary
Gov. Sarah Palin’s a middle-class hockey mom, but does that really qualify her to be vice president?