Bacterial strain found in Detroit dogs could harm humans, reports suggest
A dangerous bacterial infection that can cause serious disease and death in dogs, and can spread to humans, has been identified in an outbreak in Detroit.
MLive.com reports that the disease Leptospirosis has been identified in 20 dogs in Detroit. The disease is caused by the bacteria leptospira. Once the bacteria infects an animal, it lodges in the kidneys. Some animals do not become sick from the infection, but spread the bacteria through urine, while other animals develop fevers, vomiting, and ultimately the shutdown of organs.
The disease is usually found in stray dogs, but in this outbreak experts from Michigan State University say it has been found in animals that are family pets. Ten of the dogs have died or been euthanized as a result of the infection.