ABC Sports takes legal action against Pawlenty for ‘miracle’ TV ad
Tim Pawlenty‘s presidential campaign will soon be receiving a cease-and-desist letter from ABC Sports, which believes its “Miracle on Ice” footage was improperly used in a recent television advertisement.
“It’s a violation of our copyright and exclusive proprietary rights,” Louise Argianas, director of rights and clearances for ABC Sports told reporter Jennifer Jacobs of The Des Moines Register late Thursday.
Pawlenty’s campaign launched the 30-second spot, which featured historic footage of an underdog USA hockey team battling against a more established USSR team in the 1980 Winter Olympics, in Iowa on Wednesday. Pawlenty played hockey in high school and still pushes pucks as an amateur in South St. Paul, Minn.
Alex Conant, spokesman for Pawlenty, responded that use of the footage had been reviewed by the campaign’s lawyers for possible copyright violation as well as compliance with other laws.
The ad is embedded below:
Also late Thursday, the Pawlenty campaign unveiled their latest ad, “The Only Candidate,” in an email message to supporters. In the ad, Pawlenty says he is the only one of the 2012 candidates that has a “specific plan” to address the problems he believes were created by the Obama administration — “to fix it, not just talk about it.”
The offering is very similar to the now contested ad above, but the new one does not appear to contain any hockey footage: