Florida six in the morning: Your state legislators are richer than you
A six-pack of noteworthy tidbits from this week’s news: #
- **Your state lawmakers are most likely richer than you: **See this report from the News Service of Florida.
- **Only in Florida: **A former governor’s fraternity brother gets embroiled in a legal battle with a businessman tied to the Jordanian royal family over a lucrative Pentagon contract.
- **Adam Hasner on the Truth-O-Meter: **False. The Florida Senate doesn’t seem to be all that fond of E-Verify requirements.
- **Little-noticed bill provision of the day: The one that allowed expedited permitting of new biomass projects, including a new gas-powered power plant in Port St. Joe (The Florida Current).
- **Number of the day: **26 percent — Size of the revenue decrease expected by the St. Johns River Water Management District, which is preparing to lay off employees and halt purchases of conservation lands (Orlando Sentinel).
- Quote of the day:
“We believe that (federal regulators’) aim is to control the fish and wildlife, in addition to the use of the land that surrounds this area, and the people that live here and visit. … As most of us know, this all ties in to the United Nations’ Agenda 21 and Sustainability.” — Edna Mattos, leader of the Citrus County Tea Party Patriots, on new regulations intended to protect manatees in Kings Bay. ** **(St. Petersburg Times) #