After criticism, Bachmann removes veterans benefit cuts from proposal
Rep. Michele Bachmann took a lot of heat last week from veterans groups that criticized her plan to trim the deficit by cutting back on veterans benefits among other government programs. In a statement on Friday, Bachmann said she has removed those cuts from consideration.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars vowed to fight Bachmann on the issue. “No way, no how, will we let this proposal get any traction in Congress,” said Richard Eubank of the VFW last week. “There are certain things you do not do when our nation is at war, and at the top of that list is not caring for our wounded and disabled servicemen and women when they return home.”
The uproar seemed to have caused Bachmann to change her tune.
“One point on my discussion list was a $4.5 billion proposal that would affect payments made to our veterans,” Bachmann said in a statement. “That has received a lot of attention and I have decided that it should be removed from consideration. The problem of government spending must be solved, but not on the backs of our nation’s war heroes. I have always been a proud supporter of the United States military and I continue to stand with our veterans. In the months ahead I look forward to working with our Veterans Service Organizations to ensure that we fulfill our commitments to those who sacrificed so much in their brave service for our country.”