Thursday, July 08, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Gov. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) can legally call a 2010 special election to replace the late Sen. Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.), state Attorney General Darrell McGraw (D) ruled today.

The ruling moves forward what has become a bipartisan push to move the election from 2012 to this year. Shortly after Byrd’s death last week, Secretary of State Natalie Tennant (D) announced that current state law only allowed for the election to occur in 2012. McGraw’s written opinion referenced the odd situation that would arise from delaying a special election until then.

In this case, the Secretary of State’s reading of [West Virginia election law] creates a situation which, while perhaps not absurd, would certainly be awkward and unintended: two elections in November 2012, one to fill a Senate vacancy of (by then) a few weeks, and another of a full term of office.

McGraw’s ruling contradicts earlier judicial rulings, meaning it could be challenged in court, The Washington Post’s Aaron Blake reports. There are no such challenges at this point. If the ruling were to get thrown out, Manchin could ask the state legislature to change the election laws as he announced during a presser yesterday. The AP reports that while McGraw ruled Manchin has the power to call for the earlier special election without legislative approval, the legislature will need to decide on filing deadlines and other related rules when it reconvenes later this month.

Manchin can now move forward with picking someone to temporarily replace Byrd in the Senate, as he said yesterday that he would wait to appoint someone until McGraw gave him legal guidance. This will undoubtedly ease the fears of national Democrats who believed further delays in the appointment process would stall passage of the long-delayed unemployment benefits extension. Representatives from the White House and Congress had apparently been pushing Manchin to move forward with all deliberate speed.

Updated at 5:12 p.m.

Follow Jimm Phillips on Twitter

Comments

Tweets that mention 2010 Special Election to Replace Byrd Moves Forward; Unemployment Benefits Extension May Result « The Washington Independent -- Topsy.com
Pingback posted July 8, 2010 @ 4:19 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kate Sheppard, USAction and others. USAction said: via @TWI_News WV AG's decision may pave way for #unemployment extension to pass: http://bit.ly/c0gUjF UI can help ease pain of #jobs crisis [...]

Independent Lens | THE HORSE BOY | Trailer | PBS
Pingback posted July 8, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

[...] 2010 Special Election to Replace Byrd Moves Forward; Unemployment … [...]

Election Politics
Pingback posted July 8, 2010 @ 5:14 pm

[...] the rest of this great post here Comments (0)    Posted in Election Politics   [...]

Election and Candidate News
Pingback posted July 8, 2010 @ 6:18 pm

[...] the rest of this great post here Comments (0)    Posted in Election Candidate   [...]

WV-Sen: Special Election will be held this year, temporary appointment immediately | Bloggers For Change
Pingback posted July 8, 2010 @ 7:12 pm

[...] The fast turn-around in McGraw's decision is important, meaning that Manchin can now appointment someone immediately to fill Byrd's seat. Which is critical: [...]

Oak Harbor Chamber moves into its new digs :: Interior Remodeling Ideas
Pingback posted July 8, 2010 @ 9:14 pm

[...] 2010 Special Election to Replace Byrd Moves Forward; Unemployment … [...]

John
Comment posted July 8, 2010 @ 9:04 pm

Thank goodness. Realistically, after selection, how soon could we expect the new Senator from WV to be in Washington ready to break the Republican filibuster on this issue? Any idea? I'm sure the WH is itching for passage of the financial regulation bill, but we also need the UI extension!

Minichstrategies
Comment posted July 8, 2010 @ 9:17 pm

I agree completely!

Bjamintrotter
Comment posted July 8, 2010 @ 9:26 pm

Hopefully soon, tier 1 expired for me a month ago : ( There are 3 different bills for the unemployment extension, get the new guy in by next week and vote that day, should be over with!

Brian
Comment posted July 8, 2010 @ 9:51 pm

I sent the following message to Senator Reid: Others should follow suit to whomever they feel inclined to write to!

Senator Reid,

It is imperative that you and the democrat party agree to extend unemployment by utilizing TARP or other funds that the citizens of this country have already given the government. To deny this funding of unemployment extensions based on disagreements with the republicans is just as arrogant as the republicans themselves.

Americans with nothing can not afford to wait out the West Virginia Governor or his states special election to replace Senator Byrd! We are paying attention to this hourly! Any news is good news and while the media has nothing to report, the citizens that are hurting are blaming you. Not everyone blames the Republican Party for this as their stance is understandable. The refusal of the Democrats to agree to the extension based on not wanting to use “Bailout” money is not a good decision in the eyes of millions of Americans.

If you really want to win the election in November, I suggest that you take the lead by bending (for a good cause) to show you are not the bad leader so many people think you are!

Please give us some hope and help us by doing what needs to be done and not what you want to do!

Respectfully,

Brian Parks

Mark
Comment posted July 8, 2010 @ 10:22 pm

Once the Selection is Made. The replacement can be sworn in the Morning they arrive and be voting that very afternoon. There is no delay. Sworn in, start voting. Period.

Get-it-straight
Comment posted July 8, 2010 @ 11:13 pm

Thanks Jimm. This is good news.

WV
Comment posted July 8, 2010 @ 11:18 pm

It will probably be the beginning of August before someone is sworn in to Byrd's seat to be realistic.

TT
Comment posted July 8, 2010 @ 11:23 pm

Thanks – very well written. I'm sending one too.

Dan
Comment posted July 8, 2010 @ 11:49 pm

hopefully he picks a democrat

K9859
Comment posted July 8, 2010 @ 11:55 pm

hey brian whats the e-mail address for this senator

Anonymous
Comment posted July 8, 2010 @ 11:58 pm

Senate goes on vacation again AUG 1…..so it WILL have to be done before then……TO BE REALISTIC……and I am sure, as he is a democrat, that he will pick a democrat that shares the beliefs of the people and party that he represents..

WV-Sen: Special Election will be held this year, temporary appointment immediately | World News
Pingback posted July 9, 2010 @ 1:02 am

[...] meaning that Manchin can now appointment someone immediately to fill Byrd’s seat. Which is critical: Manchin said during a presser yesterday that he would wait to appoint someone until McGraw gave [...]

Paul
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 12:04 am

Wow a possible glimmer of hope in what has been a horrible month. I am praying for the millions!! of us who are unemployed . I am guessing though that the GOP or better known as the GOBP will find some way to to slow it down , screw it up , give us the shaft etc.etc. I am trying to stay positive but with all the GOP negativity and just plain cruelness it is very hard. The GOBP will be surprised in November when they lose 15 million plus votes. Oh well they know everything anyhow.

Guyfaz
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 12:11 am

Nothing getting done, except vacationing that we are paying for.

Michael
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 12:34 am

Unfortunately, there will NOT be a selection to replace Sen. Byrd. All that was debated and finally determined is that W.V does not have to wait until Nov. 2012 for a special election, they can hold it Nov. 2010.

You will only get a response from YOUR state senator. All of the Senators have disclaimers on their web sites that they will only respond to their own constituents.

Yquemayra
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 12:36 am

I'm hopeful but very scared. I only had enough money to pay for rent for July. I've been unemployed for a little over a year and I've gone on soo many interviews and then nothing. I've always worked and done well for myself and then this downfall started. From the moment I wake up I'm looking for a job and I've never had this hard a time finding a job, its truly unbelievable. I'm on my own and have no one to turn too, so either they pass the extension or I'm homeless. We'll see how all of this works out, or doesn't.

GODGOD
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 12:46 am

The republicans are known by the WORLD AS VENDICTIVE PEOPLE AND WOULD RATHER GET HIT BY A TRUCK THAN TO SEE THE BILL PASSED TO EXTEND THE BENEFITS. WHAT A SHAME THAT OLD MEN ARE ACTING REBELLIOUS AND REALLY HAVE BEEN SHOWING HIZZY FITS, KICKING AND SREAMING WITH EMOTIONS… MY GOD GROW UP. I THOUGHT PUBITY ENDED IN THE TEENS. HOW OLD ARE MOST OF YOU?? 70 +!!!!!!

Reclamationplus
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 1:05 am

It reads like Manchin can appoint an interim Senator until the special election. Hopefully he will take haste. In Boise, ID I have been taking day labor unloading trucks, I have two college degrees and am 48 years old with arthritis. I am not to proud to scratch worms with the chickens but there has to worms to scratch. I found a discarded steam table made from stainless steel, I was paid $.60 a pound. Seems ridiculous the senate is allowing the country to turn into a ghetto while they are in the lap of luxory.

Robinenedy
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 1:11 am

We need to stick together and vote these crazy republicans out of office. My husband is one of the 99ers and totally out of benefits. He has been on so many interviews and its always him and 100 or so other applicants. Try being almost 60 looking for a job. It sucks! So, now we have to spend what life savings we have before we hit the welfare line. I never in my life dreamed this would be our only resource. I was laid off and lucky to have just found a job that pays so much less than I was making before. That is hardly going to pay the utilites much less cobra insurance and a mortgage. We need help now before we loose our home! These nasty uncaring Republicans need to go and the sooner the better!

Psexton
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 1:50 am

The President has NOTHING to say about this I wonder why? Does he not have tv or did they diconnect his cable I can not believe he is letting this go on. He has to know how the people are takeing this

hopeless
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 1:56 am

well at least you found your steel that you got money for. our son went and stole some so we could eat.

Cherokee
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 1:58 am

Hmmm… Let's see here … I have been unemployed off and on for almost 2 years now. Notice I said OFF & ON. That would mean that I have been putting in serious effort in seeking employment. I lost all of my health benefits along with my “decent” paychecks. I had an emergency surgery (life threatening) last year that put me so far in debt, I couldn't see straight. So I had to claim Bankruptcy in order to have some sort of sanity (by the way, I didn't have a single credit card debt on my bankruptcy claim … so I am not someone that is irresponsible with money or credit cards). I have worked my butt off since I was 14 years old (I'm 40 now), and I have always paid my bills on time and have paid my taxes on time. But now that our country is experiencing an all out Depression (thanks Bush Admin) I am now behind on my taxes (thanks to having to PAY taxes on unemployment benefits aka kicking an already dead dog), and now I will be losing what little I have been trying to survive on now because CONGRESS thinks I'm a crackhead with no motivation to work??? WOW!!! AMAZING!!! Thanks for punishing hardworking Americans with your ridiculous logic. SHAME ON YOU!!! I hope you enjoyed your Crystal & caviar last weekend while I drank a bottle of Pepto-Bismol to relieve the ulcer I now have, thanks to you! I'm sure you will all feel MUCH better when all the people that have worked so hard to pay your way (yeah, we the people that pay our taxes, pay YOUR wages) will be living in TENT CITIES all across the great US of A!!! Just remember that their is a nice warm place waiting for you at the end of your journey called life. Or you could change that karma and help all of the good people that have pride and care about our nation and our families. If mandatory drug testing is what is needed to get some financial help … then point me to the nearest office!

hopeless
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 2:04 am

this is beyond me how can they go on vacation when there are millions of people without unemployment, jobs, food on the table. i got the last unemployment check the first week of june, we havent had hot water in days because they shut off the gas, the truck tags are expired and no gas in it to even go look for a job. now we have a shut off for the electric. and havent had much to eat in weeks. how much longer are they going to play games. and if i knew anyone with money i would already have the hot water on. the kids have been going to friends houses to shower. enough is enough pass the damm extension now

Micbless
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 2:42 am

My family and I are going through the same as you all..You all tell our story..Trying to hold firm..I wish we had some assurance that this will pass this week..Bless everyone who is in this situation.

Rick
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 2:45 am

You think any of us unemployed really care if the funds come from the stimulus or the deficit? NO we don't care where it comes from we just want to be able to survive until we can find a job regardless of where they get the funds. Both parties are too blame for playing politics with peoples lives…amazing how they are going to pass a bill for 37b to fund the war in Iraq and Afganistan while there own people suffer…we need to set term limits on all these congressman and get new blood in there…at least if they knew they were leaving office they would do the right thing for the people they represent

DonJohnson
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 3:00 am

stupid byrd. stupid republicans…

tired
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 3:29 am

Are you proud of that? Get a job.

GODGOD
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 3:32 am

I live in AMERICA…..Is it possible at all that I never have to see mcconnell & the “NO” parties faces, ever, again…Wishful thinking, huh??? It will be a sad day for them when the redemption is asked of….What a way to go down in history…

Yankeefan9734
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 3:35 am

Yankeefan9734
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 3:37 am

Sounds like your unemployed wanting, in need for this bill to get passed.IF u want a change call senator McCain tell him your situation tell him that your encourage him into passing this bill I can only do so much but we got to stay together. He's # is (202) 224-2235

Jd
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 3:44 am

How come everybody wants to blame the Republicans for the extension not passing. Do you realize the Republicans have made it clear to Democrats they are ready to pass the extension with stimulis money that is just sitting there unspent. Why is this? Why do the Dems not want to use this money that was passed to save our dire economy. I blame both parties for the mess we are in and not just Bush. Washington is broken and ain't getting fixed anytime soon. Pressure needs to be put on Dems to accept the Republicans offer to use unspent stimulis funds to pass the unemployment extension.

Yankeefan9734
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 3:45 am

Call senator McCain in order for these bill to get passed, they will eventually break down. Encourage him to pass the bill. If we unite we can get this passed. (202) we'll get through this but together,.

mye2cents
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 3:50 am

You know why they never mention the names of the companies that claim unemployed folks turn down their offers of employment to stay on the dole? They probably don't exist! It's just some made-up BS to justify their heartless stance against extending benefits! PLEASE LIST THOSE COMPANIES!!! I'm sick of the lies! Think about it, who would actually TELL an employer “no thanks, I'm gonna milk this unemployment”…..upon receiving an offer? Probably some unambitious, lazy, good-for-nothing, who was an unambitious, lazy, good-for-nothing BEFORE they were laid off! Stop putting us all in the same category!! Educated and skillful job seekers WANT MORE…..and are LOOKING TO IMPROVE THEIR LIVES! That's how they became educated and skillful from the start!

Twistedbead01
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 3:56 am

I'm pretty confident the extension will be passed, exactly when, I'm not so sure. But one thing I am worried about, what will happen to all the enraged voices being heard on this site and others that have been outlets for this frustration? Will everybody just breathe a collective sigh of relief and go about their business until the next extension comes due? I hope not. I hope we have all learned something about how this country is actually run and I hope we continue to be angry, frustrated, frightened and demanding. There is a lot of stuff to fix in this country and perhaps, once the extension is passed, the American people will realize that they actually have the power to fix things. I personally am going on a campaign to bring jobs back to America – OUTLAW OUTSOURCING NOW!!! We can't be sure we're safe from the whims of America's lawmakers who care more about big business then the people who really SHOULD be running this country unless we fix the basic problem. If they don't want to extend unemployment the next time – they better be damn ready to give out some jobs!!!!

mye2cents
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 4:03 am

I'm trying to be optimistic, but I seriously think this vitriol will subside by November if they extend benefits next week. As long as folks feel secure, they will then focus on other issues……like trying to find work. But the Repugblicans have pissed me off to the highest level……hell, I'll vote for Mickey Mouse over ANY Repug come this November! Lets hope we ALL stay pissed.

Katipsord2
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 4:15 am

It is a fact that many have to turn down temp jobs as opposed to staying on employment…why? Because they are lazy. NO!! Because if you take a temp job/lower paying job it lowers your quarterly base therefore; you lose more than just unemployment benefits but lose even more money when the jobs end.
My problem is the lies. Not just about unemployment but everything. Does anyone know yu pay taxes on unemployment or how about the fact that you pay for this insurace both on the state level and on the FEDERAL level. And the senate acts like the unemployed are lazy….please. I challenege anyone to take as many days off as our reps do and see if you still have a job.
On another note, I own a tax and payroll company and I know that this is not just about unemployment, but the sytematic attack on the middle class and small businesses.
Plus, what happened to Obama's promise that he would support unemployment and school for the unemployed. My husband is laid off and in the dislocated workers programand has 1 year left until he recieve another degree. Now, they just cut that program and we are blessed that he was able to get in the program when he did but it is not just about us…it is about the millions of people trying to survive on what little they can. Where is the media??? There is the outrage???? Where is the “we can't let Americans fail” just like for AIG!!!!
I suggest that everyone losing unemploy apply for public aid…flood the system. Make them pay one way or another, at least tax free.
We need to start a movement…anyone know of one for the unemployed? We need a grassroots effort.

t.
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 4:16 am

I'm sure nobody would be “proud” of that, it's just showing what happens when things like this get put on the back burner. Many are hurting and, I'm sure, would love to get this job you speak of…

Yankeefan9734
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 4:22 am

I'm in the same situation as u, Honestly I don't even know how I'm gonna get by this month. Do us a favor, Please call Senator Mccain. Yeah the same Prick that ran for the Presidency not too long ago, tell him you situation (202) 224-2235.

Yankeefan9734
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 4:24 am

Call senator McCain in order for these bill to get passed, they will eventually break down. Encourage him to pass the bill. If we unite we can get this passed. (202) 224-2235 we'll get through this but together,.

Katipsord2
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 4:30 am

Isn't is sad…a platform is built on the backs of those struggling.

I do however, disagree, 90+% of the unemployed feel no security even with benefits. Most are losing over a $1000 a week more than likely more on unemployment and most of the unemployed are losing their homes,

Now, I am unique, my husband jumped on the dislocated workers program and is getting ready to finish a degree in Mortuary Science. But that is because we knew and we knew how to jump through the hoops to get into the program. Most unemployed aren't as lucky and had no idea about this program. Now it is cut so now, the uemploye have no choice but to be unemployed as they cannot even go back to school or risk losing their benefits.

Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 4:33 am

Republicans have made it clear to Democrats they are ready to pass the extension with stimulis money that is just sitting there unspent. Why is this? now a answer!!!!! Whoever said there is no such thing as a dumb question never was asked this question? k here it goes… The Democrats dont see it as unspent money. because there is no such thing as unspent money. Do you have unspent money? Money saved is money spent They are spending that money to better our country with plans of thier own. But just like Republicans they too dont see that it is only going to get worse. To many laws save to many lives and to many lives use up resourses to fast. Do away with me paying if i dont wear my seatbelt and im not putting it on. BAMMMMM You hit a car and die. Few hours later some guy on unemployment gets a call with a job that just opened up. People have to die. Quit telling people how to life and nature will take its course. I am sick of paying money or staying in jail for some ticket that exsit just to save lives. Stop making laws to create money and jobs just let live and let die. I never asked you to babysit me. now you know the answer so get in your car forget the seatbelt and die see if i dont take your job you stupid Republicans. bob harper carsonville, mich.

Lost in the shuffle
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 4:38 am

I sent a letter to Richard Lugar and he said if the Democrats would take their views on the unemployment extension, he would vote yes. He feels we can not expect our grandchildren to pay for our debt! Really? what do you think we are paying? if you do the emergency spending like the Democrats want, that will buy our economy some time to get companies up and running and provide jobs for us that can't find a job! and trust me, WE will be paying that money back, in due time. p.s. he also said that if I feel I need help now, to contact my local food stamp department for help! now he is wanting to save our grandchildren from paying our bills, to not add to the deficit, where exactly is this money coming from? US, thats where!

Ray
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 4:46 am

The “Take Are Jobs” campaign from the United Farm Workers Union is a lie, as soon as I heard of it I rushed to the UFW site and filled out the form started searching for jobs and applying for them on Cal-jobs and yesterday I finely heard from the UFW that told me to go to Cal-Jobs and search for jobs in Farming 1. it took UFW two freaking weeks to email me 2. out of the more then 100 apps I filled out for farming jobs I have not had 1 signal call I even said on the apps I would work for minimum wage not one freaking call, but on a better note this morning I got a call from a hotel and I start tomorrow doing maintenance there. Twistedbead01 I'm not going to stop because what the Senate and Congress are doing is wrong. The extension for the filing deadline for the current tier 1,2,3, and 4 should have been passed months ago these blue dog Demarcates and the Republicans should be ashamed of them selves but there not, it's to bad I live in CA because both my Senator and congress persons have always vote for the extension. November is to far off we need and election today so we can get rid of these Blue Dogs and every freaking Republican in the Senate. if there not careful one of these days there going to walk out the front door of the capital and straight into a mob holding .50 cal desert eagle hand guns. Are founding farther know the day would come where corruption in government would bring the people to a point of revolt and some of the wording they used pretty much say's We the People (us) it's are job to remove by force if need be those in government that are corrupt. What Castro did in Cuba was he lead a revolt against a corrupt government and what did the US do? Will are elected thumbed there noses at both us the US citizen and Castro and stopped trading with Cuba all because a bunch of, almost all of the citizens in Cuba grow tired and angry of there corrupt government and did something about it.

Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 4:55 am

jd retard

Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 4:58 am

the gun is more powerful then the tongue why do you think they are tring to get gun control. it isnt because guns kill duh it because guns stop stupid shit from happen.

Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 4:59 am

stupid americans???????????

Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 5:03 am

welfare will pay the rent. it is hard to push yourself as low as welfare. but atleast the rent will get paid. keep your head up till 2012. then youll still be around to see just where they led us

Henryhustle
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 5:05 am

So the government, which we pay for. Thinks its ok to bail out the banks, auto companies, and wall street. (in which our money was used again) But when it comes to bailing out the american tax payers all republicans can say is NO!? Ill remember this next time im at the polls.

gregg
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 5:05 am

When is this extension going to be passed already? We've got senators coming in and going out; will there be 60 votes or will it be short again? Does it even matter where the $ is coming from? Just get this thing passed already; it's way long overdue. We've suffered enough.

Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 5:06 am

hey hopeless!!! you are hopeless sounds like even if you get the extension. you must not be getting near enough. not even a month gone by and the utility getting unpluged come on man quit the pipe

Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 5:09 am

yeah, we the people that pay our taxes, pay YOUR wages …. how can i fire these heartless bastards? i have to pay taxes or they arrest me. so i cant just take away the money>>> i know i know got a gun?

Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 5:12 am

maybe he is too pissed to watch tv? you know he is still tring to find out why he hasnt received his unemployment check! only place he uses his work boots is walking to get the check out the mail box.

Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 5:13 am

call mccain? that guy is so dumb. sara palin? god that was his down fall im sure.

Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 5:16 am

Hey someone read the damn thing. i slute you on keeping up with the talk at hand. i say let the people vote right now see what happens

Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 5:18 am

id be proud to do whatever it took for my family damn right

Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 5:20 am

tooo old to serve time to get a bullet at 50

Michael
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 5:52 am

Where do you come up with this? The Democrats don't want to use the unspent stimulus money because it's set aside for stimulus projects through the end of next year.

As much as we need to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table in the short term, what is the point of the extension if there are still no jobs?

Joan in TX
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 6:46 am

The Republican Senators think we are stupid and naive. We teach our children to tell the truth and do the right thing, but these “adult” hypocrites will do no such thing. In all my 45 years I have not heard them complain about the deficit when we are handing money over to corrupt governments to “help” their people. However, our own people who have worked hard all their lives are kicked to the curb when they need help. They keep saying they need to make creating jobs a priority, seriously? What are they doing to create jobs? The only new job openings I anticipate seeing in the near future are theirs!

Jim
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 7:06 am

Again this country is going down the tubes. there are no jobs in las vegas and i have been out of work for almost a year and a half. i was making 6 figures and i lost pretty much everything, my house, car and now i am renting a house my benefits will end in 2 weeks, then what, there goes everything again…. imagine all the people that actually use this unemployment to have roof over their heads, forclosures in record numbers once again! just wait you will see….

Gettingtired
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 7:11 am

spoken like a true republican without a clue

Wjr_storm
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 10:16 am

Yea seriously this is the stupids thing not passing the unemployment. I would like to see the goverment work off of 30K with only 1 person working in the family making house payments, car payments, utility bills and food plus misc items needed to survive. They would pass it in a heart beat! My husband has lost his job twice now and his benefits are done for about a month now, we will have to sell our house and my car to stay above waters if that is even possible (to sell the house). How would they like to loose their homes and cars and possible be homeless. We should force them to make only 1 person check for their family even if it is just two people or 10 its the same we ALL of bills to pay. So Goverenmnet People step up to the damn plate and pass this or give us the checks we should have gotten last year instead of the BANKS!! We could have bailed out ourselves and the econo instead having to have unemployment! Kansas City

Mortgage | Media Moguls Gather | Mortgages
Pingback posted July 9, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

[...] 2010 Special Election to Replace Byrd Moves Forward; Unemployment Benefits Extension May Result &laq… [...]

ERNESTHILL1966
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

A true reptillian (Republican). We will vote you down to little or nothing. The power is our vote. VOTE THEM OUT OF OFFICE.

Ernesthill1966
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

At 44 years old, homeless for the first time. I cried all night on a park bench. This hurts. But our vote this November should show the Reptillians (Republican) Party what america want and need. Lets not go rouge, lets go VOTE. Lets show the Republican that there time is up. thanks for the up lifting words MCLBESS. I cant stop crying, I am a 6ft 5in black man, that cant stop crying. I have nothing. Nothing but my vote this November.

Ernesthill1966
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

very well said my friend!!!!

Donte_johnson25
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 5:16 pm

there aren't going to be anymore jobless benefits extensions. things are going to continue to get worse. there are not enough jobs for every person that wishes to work and because of that more poeple will continue to suffer great financial loss. people will be living on the streets inside tents and digging any and everywhere for food. but whose to blame? is it washington or is it because most of you have rejected christ and refuse to repent of your sins? Without repentance, you will face judgement, the kind of judgement in which some of you may be facing now. your only option is to turn away from your wicked ways and fix your eyes on God; for he is the only one that can and will see you through any storm if you just trust him. If you trust man instead of trusting God, you will suffer each and every time. Congress is not about saving the america people. most of you should have figured this out by now. Maybe now that your fancy cars are gone and your big luxurious house along with your bank accounts is now gone, you will wise up and start trusting the one true God to supply your every need. He is the only one that can save you at this time.

North Capitol Street » Blog Archive » Likely Byrd Successors Raked In Donations From Big Coal
Pingback posted July 9, 2010 @ 6:40 pm

[...] has revolved around what the appointment will mean for the Democrats’ economic agenda: an unemployment benefits extension and financial regulatory reform in particular. But in these areas, Byrd’s successor is [...]

Lindsay
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 7:34 pm

I do believe that God is the one to save. You really have no idea if there will be another extension, so try and not shoot down the hopes of many American people because of what your belief is.

Stuart
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 8:15 pm

Please vote Democrat in November, if only to keep Republicans out for what they have put us through. Bush beat Gore because people wasted their votes on Ralph Nader, etc. Make your vote count and keep the Repubs out!!!

guest
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 9:29 pm

I was one that have lost my unemployment money this last month. I think it is unfair the remarks that are coming out of the senate abou the unemployed that we are basically sitting around either on alcohol or drugs waiting for our checks. I have been applying to over 10-12 jobs daily for over a year. I have went to countless job interviews. I still was without work.
I live in Arizona and if they think that I am living high on 240.00 a week they really should wake up to reality. I did not want to have to keep on getting those checks. I would have rather been making more than that at a job where I fet like someone rather than feel down because I could not help my family rather than bring home the unemployment check.
I am happy to report though that I have found a job, andI will be starting as of Monday. I do not need the unemployment anymore, but feel for those that have to still depend on it. Good luck to all of you still continuing your search,and lets keep an eye on the people who did not pass this bill. It would be nice if they would have a hard time finding a job, and have a hard time putting food on the table for their families.

txindie
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 10:04 pm

Spoken like a true republican

Think_With_Your_BRAIN
Comment posted July 9, 2010 @ 10:34 pm

F U C K O F F ! ! ! ! ! Why do you simpleton Jesus-freaks come out of the woodwork for every crisis????? God didn't cause this mess, God isn't going to get you out of this, hiding in your book authored by cattle-sacrificing pagans who believe that telepathically transmitting to your master that you believe in him so you can eat his flesh and blood like some kind of zombie will ONLY MAKE THINGS WORSE!!!

IIDoves
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 3:07 am

PLEASE SIGN MY PETITION 'VOTE OUT THE REPUBLICANS IN NOVEMBER'

Cardcollector2010
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 5:01 am

really im sick of the people bashing those of us getting the unemployment checks too..for all of those that feel im just sitting here doing some drugs and some alcohol why do they think my wife and i would trade 1900.00 a week in income for 510.00. 255.00 a week is the max in the state of alabama and thats along way off from the paychecks weve made the last 15 years. it takes that plus, savings, credit, yard sales, ebay, and other odd jobs to make ends meet. im glad i dont have a drug problem- i wouldnt get very far with that little paycheck anyway. and for everyone that thinks we shold be takin urine test–piss doesnt test itsself so who will be paying for that. i love how all of you have these solutions but all the solutions side step the major problems. most drug addicts cant hold full time work down anyway making them not qualify for extended unemployment benefits.

Mortgage | Earnings Fuel Summer Rally? | Mortgages
Pingback posted July 10, 2010 @ 7:20 am

Timgerman
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 7:43 am

please help kill the theves and scams like this one

zasea
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 8:01 am

i know some people who they like unemployment cheek and all they do sitting
on their asses and drink alcohol all day. and they did not look for work not even one time.

socaguy
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 8:18 am

goverment they did good job they give 99 weeks which is 2 years of unemployment checks. so its time to go and look for a job looser…..

Deb
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 10:53 am

That maybe true for some people but my husband lost his job after 33 years the plant closed down I am disabled (I was a housewife so no benefits i can draw) and we have no income now to live. We have never drank alcohol in our life and the only habit we have is trying to help our Children so by the government denying us unemployment extention we are gonna lose our home our car and everything else and end up on the street and we are in our 50's. So the extention is necessary for some of us who have worked their entire life while those up there making the decision on our lifes have never had to do without anything.

Deb
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 11:06 am

You are exactly right, NOT everyone is on alcohol and drugs, my husband and myself have NEVER DONE EITHER.we were only drawing 235.00 a week before taxes after taxes 211.00 of unemployment which thats not much but it was better than nothing.Now they have taken that from us, by denying the extended benefits to those of us who need it and cant find jobs. The ones sitting up there voting to NOT give us extended benefits them and their families have never gone hungry as we have so they are not concerned about us. We the people need to speak up we need HELP NOW! The ones doing the voting NO unemployment extention need to put themselves in our shoes and think about how they would feel if it was them and they had to watch their children go hungry how would they feel. WE NEED THE EXTENDED UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE VOTE YES AND HELP US!

Deb
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 11:39 am

Does anyone out there notice the government is bailing out the rich like banks, car manufactures, mortgage companies etc.and forgetting about us middle class people who have worked all our lifes and paid taxes, then we are losing our jobs due to so many companies closing up and then they are giving us a little bit of umemployment because of us paying taxes then taking the unemployment completely away from us, so we lose our homes, cars, and even going hungry. I thought that was why we paid taxes so the government would help us in a time of crisis. Where is all our tax dollars gone too that was taken out of our checks all these years. There is hardly no jobs out there anymore. We need help so the Government needs to pass the bill for the extended unemployment NOW not when when we all are sitting on the street and have lost our homes, cars and watching our Children going hungry as well as ourselves.

IIDoves
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

!!SIGN MY PETITIONS 'VOTE OUT THE REPUBLICANS IN NOVEMBER'!

saddon
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 4:41 pm

GOV.U R A CROOK.I WILL NOT VOTE 4U ANYMORE>

GODGOD
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

There was a MORON that t traveled between Caif and Texas commented on another board and quoted that the unemployed leeched on the AMERICAN PEOPLE and he went on to say that everyone under the age of 35 should enlist in the armed FORCES… YOU EMBILCILE, WHOEVER YOU ARE…THE MAJORITY OF THESE UNemployed PEOPLE are over 50 and has been in the workforce for over 30 years….the reporter that post his comment is just as much of an IDIOT AS YOU…THERE ARE EMBICILES LIKE YOU THAT KEEP SOME OF THESE REPORTERS BUSY…..YOU MIGHT AS WELL SELL YOUR STORY TO THE EN#@$%@%…LOSER…

partycrasher
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 5:38 pm

The extension will pass and you'll get your 99 weeks, but there will be no tier 5 folks. When your 99 weeks are up, it's either under-employment, welfare (good luck with that), becoming homeless or worse. I read how the national unemployment went down from 9.7% to 9.5% last month too….HA!…who doctored that BS!?

I mean….pleeeeeze!

Things are going to get VERY interesting in this country starting next year….VERY interesting. If these politicians think they will be in the clear after November…better think again!

THERE'S NOWHERE TO HIDE!

concerned
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

There maybe some like out there like that, and I know a few as well, but most of us are out there trying to find a job. It is really difficult to look for work though when you have no money coming in from unemployment for gas in your car, or even to pay for your car payment. Have they not heard the old saying it takes money to make money? It is so true, you have to have money to get to the jobs to find the position, and interview etc.
Socaguy I would suppose that you have a job. For you to call someone else a loser is wrong. You have not been in the same situation. If you would have been you would understand what is going on. Also the people have not been receiving unemployment for 99 weeks that are looking for the extension. Some of us have only been on it for the basic and are waiting for the next tier. I was one of them. I was lucky though and found a job.
By the way just to let you know that you spell “loser” – like this not looser, and a check not a cheek- We can not cash a cheek only turn it away from people like you that insult people they have no clue about there situations. So next time you decide to stick it to someone with your nasty comments make sure you spell it correctly. Thanks.

amy
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 6:20 pm

And are these people as literate as you are. Who they, cheek, all they do sitting. Give me a break.

d10757
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 8:51 pm

Not everyone is eligible for 99 weeks. The different tiers are based on the unemployment rate within your state. This only takes the extensions through the November elections. Once they are elected don't count on another extension with the problems that this has had.

d10757
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 8:54 pm

Some people lost their benefits after 26 weeks of state unemployment. Please check your facts before calling someone else a loser…

d10757
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 8:59 pm

People like you are the reason people like me do not care to sit in a church on Sunday mornings. You have no business judging anyone else, try reading the bible that you are thumping sometime.

d10757
Comment posted July 10, 2010 @ 9:45 pm

I think this pertains to you.

Glenblog
Comment posted July 11, 2010 @ 1:42 am

Replace him soon please…

Sickofpolitics
Comment posted July 11, 2010 @ 4:14 am

It's called English. Learn to communicate in it or run along. Immigration might be hot on your trail.

Robert Brown_31
Comment posted July 11, 2010 @ 4:23 am

I read about that and it really pissed me off. I tried to join the military but because I have one certain thing on my record I am not able to join the military due to the Lautenberg Admenment which falls under the Gun Control Act of 1996. Believe me if I could join the military I wouldn't be worried about if this extension bill is gonna be passed. I have been unemployed for almost a year and at the same time I have been going through a divorce. I have to go to court this month for child support and I don't know how I am gonna be able to continue to pay it. If this Bill is not passed I believe the crime rate will increase everywhere. Come on just pass the damn Bill.

World Wide News Flash
Trackback posted July 11, 2010 @ 5:24 am

2010 Special Election to Replace Byrd Moves Forward; Unemployment ……

I found your entry interesting do I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog :)…

Robert Brown_31
Comment posted July 11, 2010 @ 4:26 am

What do you mean? Get your facts straight idiot! I have not been on unemployment for no 2 yrs. I have not even had one extension. Get a life retard!

Robert Brown_31
Comment posted July 11, 2010 @ 4:28 am

It sounds like socaguy is one of those people drinking alcohol sitting on his ass all day!

jon
Comment posted July 11, 2010 @ 6:35 am

i think people who recieved their 99 weeks they becoms lazy. they just want more free money comes again so they can go drink their beer all day….

Scotter9111
Comment posted July 11, 2010 @ 10:33 am

(R) ASS what else can you say.

Susan
Comment posted July 11, 2010 @ 12:17 pm

I'm sick and tired of people calling the “unemployed” lazy and addicts, (alcohol or drugs). Like most “unemployed” Americans, I don't drink and I don't do drugs. I lost my job, through not fault of my own, August, 2008. I've worked for over 30 years. I have an excellent track record. I've been recognized, more times than I can count, for outstanding performance and achievement awards. I am 57 years old. That, my friend is what is denying me from obtaining a job. I've paid taxes and still paid them on unemployment. I have not collected my 99 weeks. I would much rather have a job. I've gone through my savings and just about wiped out my 401k, (lost money in that, thanks to Wall Street). So, don't call me lazy or any other American who is unemployed. If you have a job, you better thank your lucky stars because you could be next. Then what tune will you be singing for unemploment benefits. I spend over three hours a day, on my computer, applying for jobs. No luck. Once they see you have over 30 years experience, they know you are in your 50's and your application goes to file 13. As a female, I made 60K a year. Now, I make nothing. I thank God that I was employed while my child received his college degree. I believe that the ratio of 5:1, applicants versus jobs, is much higher. I believe it is more like 10:1. The unrealistic applicant ratio of 5:1 is similar to the unrealistic unemployment numbers. They too are much higher than what is being reported. The numbers are fixed to what pleases the government. I live in Georgia and my two Republican Senators could give a rats ass about Georgians or Americans. Isackson is up for re-election and I've already e-mailed and advised him to make sure his campaign staff does not call my home or I will consider it harassment. Every incumbent must be voted out of office. The American people must “Stand Up”. They give our money away to every Tom, Dick and Harry. What about keeping it where it belongs, in the good old US of A. They bailed out the banks, Wall Street, Auto Industry but they turned their back on the citizens of this nation. Why is it taking the Governor of West Virginia so long to appoint an interim senator. He got his blessing for a special election so appoint someone who will vote in favor to extend unemployment benefits before the Republicans want to take another vote. They will want Americans to think they are interested in their welfare but know it won't pass without another democrats vote. These are sly scumbags. I don't won't my taxes paying their salary or benefits anymore. There should be a new law that America cannot afford to pay them after they are voted out or retire. Why in the hell should we continue to pay them when they didn't represent the American people.

Damianhicks
Comment posted July 11, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

Jon sound s like every asshole out there. When the elections come around, we will vote all the republicans that voted against every thing that the democrats brought up for a year and a half. What Americans are they representing. Didn't you guys learn in the last election that if you keep fucking up things, it will never turn out in your favor.If you ever need unemployment, I hope you get denied and lose all the things that you have work for through the years. Then maybe your ass will be singing a different toon then. ASSHOLE

Ron
Comment posted July 11, 2010 @ 6:04 pm

Jon, Apparently you don't have a clue to what is going on. There are many displaced workers that have spent many years working. I am one of them. Not only have I worked for over 20 years, I am also a Gulf War Vet. I fought so that you and others cna enjoy the freedoms that you currently have, and to sit here and read this garbage is a slap in the face. I want them to hurry and extend the benefits, many people are suffering, including me.

Ron
Comment posted July 11, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

Reading your post, apparently it's time for you to go back to school.

partycrasher
Comment posted July 11, 2010 @ 7:27 pm

Here are a couple of “eye opening” links that every one should see. Notice the “actual unemployment” total from the debt clock.

REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Good Political Jokes – Latest Political Jokes – Politcal Jokes | SEO and Marketing
Pingback posted July 11, 2010 @ 11:04 pm

[...] 2010 Special Election to Replace Byrd Moves Forward; Unemployment … [...]

All Around the World News
Trackback posted July 12, 2010 @ 12:34 pm

2010 Special Election to Replace Byrd Moves Forward; Unemployment ……

I found your entry interesting do I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog :)…

Jj
Comment posted July 15, 2010 @ 11:58 pm

Manchin is a Blue Dog ( a Republican who claims he is Democrat in order to get elected).

He'll appoint a Blue Dog on Friday who will vote with Republicans.

The EUC extensions will not be re-instated to the dismay of many who erroneously believe that Robert Byrd's replacement will vote Democrat.

Unemployed people who have high hopes that EUC extensions will be continued after a vote on Tuesday are in for a rude awakening.

Jj
Comment posted July 16, 2010 @ 12:04 am

Republican spokesperson Rush Limbaugh wasn't kidding when he said he hopes Obama fails. Unfortunately, his Republican friends in the USA Congress feel the same way.

Democrats do not want Labor Day to arrive with mp continuation of the EUC extensions.

Republicans want the opposite: MILLIONS OF UNEMPLOYED AMERICANS TO BE SUFFERING ON LABOR DAY.

Manchin will appoint a BLUE DOG to help the Republicans assure Obama fails.

Jj
Comment posted July 16, 2010 @ 12:10 am

Sorry, folks. There will not be a continuation of the EUC extensions because Blue Dogs, including Byrds replacement, and a portion of Republicans will vote against it.

Not all Republicans will vote against it – a few are already selected to vote for it in order to make it appear Democrats, not Republicans, are to blame.

Blue Dogs are really Republicans. They've already planned their game with other Republicans.

Jj
Comment posted July 16, 2010 @ 12:21 am

Blue Dogs/Republicans look forward to the anger towards Democrats on Labor Day when about 6 million people will have exhausted their UI benefits since June 2010.

Pelosi, McDermott and other true Democrats are trying hard to continue EUC extensions, but naively have faith that Blue Dogs will vote Democrat.

Que
Comment posted July 16, 2010 @ 5:14 am

It's not going to pass. There won't be a continuation of the EUC extensions. Blue Dogs/Republicans will defeat it on Tuesday.

Manchin is a Blue Dog (a Republican who pretends to be Democrat in order to get votes), and he will replace Byrd with a Bue Dog.

Byrd's Blue Dog replacement is probably deemed too high profile to vote against the continuence, so one or more lower profile Blue Dogs will vote against the continuence on Tuesday.

In November, Blue Dixx and Repukkk's will be happy to see over 20 million unemployed people angry at Democrats.

Don't you just hate the Blue Dixx and Repukkk's?