Report: 1.2 Million Set to Lose Unemployment Benefits in June

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Having unveiled their plan to extend unemployment benefits through the end of the year (not to be mistaken for a plan to create new benefits), Democrats will no doubt be racing to pass the measure before June 1, which marks the current deadline to file for the next tier of jobless benefits. Budget hawks, however, are already balking at the price tag, leaving the fate of the current package in question, particularly in the Senate.

Today, the National Employment Law Project, an advocacy group, noted the consequences of congressional inaction, estimating that 1.2 million jobless Americans would exhaust their benefits in June alone if the deadline isn’t extended.

“Here we are, five days out from the Memorial Day recess, and Congress has yet to act on one of the most crucial pieces of legislation affecting the unemployed in 2010,” Christine Owens, NELP’s executive director, said in a statement Monday.

Under current law, unemployed folks have access to 26 weeks of state-sponsored insurance benefits before four separate tiers of emergency federal benefits kick in. Confusing the arrangement, recipients must exhaust their current benefits before filing for the next tier. Yet that option disappears at the end of May, when the filing deadline for all tiers arrives.

Complicating the timeline, Congress is scheduled to leave town at the end of this week for their Memorial Day recess, which puts them out of action until at least June 7. NELP estimates that 300,000 jobless folks will exhaust their UI benefits by June 12, the Friday after Congress returns.

Owens, for her part, thinks lawmakers should prioritize the UI extension legislation over their scheduled vacation.

“Unemployed Americans are pulling their hair out — and they are looking to Congress for help,” she said. “Even if it means staying in Washington as the Congressional recess approaches, the unemployment bill must move forward. Taking a break without extending the unemployment program will break faith with the millions of jobless workers Congress is leaving behind.”

Stay tuned.

Comments

mc
Comment posted May 24, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

Dear Congress, Unemployment in my Wisconsin county is 16%. There is so much focus in the media on how much to blame Bush, Obama, Congress. There is no attention on corporate CEO's who have layed off thousands of their workers as their company stock dropped from $50 a share, to .50cents a share like my former employer. Now their stock is back up to $13 per share and climbing back up, yet they work the 2/3's of staff they kept working double-time. No new hires in a year. Pay raise & 401k matching funds freeze continues. Business is coming back, but they are now being greedy, waiting until the morale problem on staff explodes. Don't criticize an extension of unemployement benefits. Ask the CEO who earned $25 million in 2009 when they plan to hire back the thousands who helped build their business but now left jobless for over 18 months, while working their age 20 & 30-something staffs 60-75 hours a week with no overtime, and no help in site.

It's not government. It's not the unemployeed. It's greedy CEO's who ran this economy into the ground and now refuse to put people back to work until they abosultely have to.

sam
Comment posted May 24, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

We can't let over a million people lose their unemployment insurance, not in this economy. For job searchers, I've been hearing some great advice on http://www.jobtalkamerica.com, a new internet radio show.

Jennifer G
Comment posted May 24, 2010 @ 7:24 pm

I could not agree with Ms. Owens more. I am one of those 300,000 whose benefits will be exhausted. I worked 23 years at the same company and was laid off 6 months ago. I want to work. I want to have a job but there are none! I look and apply day in and day out. Just to get an interview is an achievement. I'm either over qualified or the volume of interest is “too high.” I am not a blood sucker, or a leach on society as those people who oppose the bill claim. I've paid and continue to pay my taxes for 47 years. PLEASE PLEASE think of the 300,000 other Americans that will be without any income while you board your private jets and enjoy your bbq's in Martha's Vinyard if the bill does not pass by Friday.

RBMVL
Comment posted May 24, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

With a nominal unemployment rate of 9.9% and the genuine U6 rate of 17%, we do need to extend unemployment benefits through 2010. The upcoming end of Census work and the entry of new high school and college graduates into the market is going to make the competition for any job more fierce than ever. However, ANY extension whatsoever need s to contain a Tier V for the 1,500,000 Americans and families who will soon lose all unemployment benefits regardless of this proposed extension. It is short-sighted to focus solely on 1.2 million Americans, when closer to 3,000,000 are threatened with the loss of benefits. Until hiring turns around, Congress should extend benefits through the year with at least a Tier V.

rmg
Comment posted May 24, 2010 @ 9:32 pm

It is essential that Congress adds additional weeks to the current EUC program for people who have exhausted their “99 weeks” and still cannot find work. This economy is in the worst shape since the “Great Depression” and until “job creation” solves the problem for many, our elected “lawmakers” need to help their fellow citizens. Not ignore them, but help them. I think during times like this we can see the “true character” of many of these people that we have elected. Let's send them a message: if they cannot help those in need, they will not be re-elected, period.

Richard_in_Ohio
Comment posted May 24, 2010 @ 9:58 pm

One study says that about 400,000 people per month will be losing UI beneifts as we go forward into the summer. This is in addition to those 1.2 million estimated to have lost them by June. . There are millions more who are employed in part-time and temporary jobs that will not last and not counted. . Many economists are predicting a slow recovery, in no small part b/c those industries that typically lead the way out of a recession are weal or flagging, such as autos and housing. Add to that that many of the jobs lost in the past few years are not coming back, even with a return to recovery as measured by GDP. This of course means that more people will be unemployed longer due to the paucity of jobs and the need for u/e workers who have been displaced to adjust by retraining and relocating. . This is an extraordinary recession, and it requires extraordinary measures to counter it. Help is needed for the long-term unemployed so that they can survive. . * * * *

veronica
Comment posted May 24, 2010 @ 10:22 pm

if they don't extend the benefit then people will start to rob other individual to feed their family. If congress think this is a joke let them have to live on unemployement and see how they feel. we didn't ask to be out of work but for people that have work all their lives and have to depend on this income until they can find a job don't take that way from us.

SUSAN
Comment posted May 24, 2010 @ 10:28 pm

I think if all the states go like AZ we might be able to get a job or fine company with a 10,000.00 fine for each illegal they got working then we might have job to open

caya
Comment posted May 24, 2010 @ 11:44 pm

Perhaps it's time to take to the streets. Enough is enough. The unemployed who have exhausted benefits are left to rot. Adults trying to fed their family or care for aging patents are left without any help from our government. Their arrogance is appalling. They are talking about funding summer youth jobs but NO A PENNY FOR those who have exhausted their benefits. I think we have been patient long enough.

Blackmagmit
Comment posted May 25, 2010 @ 3:15 am

My husband worked for the same Company for 18 years and would forgo his vacations and sick time when they needed him. He was loyal to a fault to this company. They hired someone to come in and trim the fat. He turned 60 and 1 week later had no job. This man never even knew what my husbands' job entailed. All he saw was his age, his dislike for him as he didn't get things fixed as fast as he wanted, but with only 2 people besides himself and 41 buildings to keep running. What do you expect. Their was only 24 hours in a day, and he was their almost everyday for 16 to 18 of them, and only getting paid for 8 a day as he was salary. It has been almost 20 months and he has not been offered 1 job. As soon as they see his age they don't want him. We need this extension. We need to eat, have essentials like lights, water, a place to live. Congress please help… If not, maybe you should lose your jobs and live on $275.00 a week.

Chedar
Comment posted May 25, 2010 @ 4:05 am

I certainly agree with you. I am about you husband's age and can't even get an interview. They won't even hire you for a temp what more for long term. Congress is pathetic. They voted for tax break for the rich and yet they are worried where to get this unemployment benefit to pay for. Get them back from the rich where they get their tax break for the last 8 yrs. The rich does not need it. It is the poor and unemployed that needs it now!

ALRON
Comment posted May 25, 2010 @ 6:31 am

Remember these people come election day! Remember those republicans who keep blocking the extentions! VOTE THEM OUT !

Wonk Room » Big Corporations Lobby Against Bill Extending Jobless Benefits Because It Closes Their Tax Loopholes
Pingback posted May 25, 2010 @ 11:09 am

[...] to the National Employment Law Project, 1.2 million Americans who are currently eligible for extended benefits will have the rug pulled out from under them in [...]

jim
Comment posted May 25, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

Congress and people who squaw at paying more unemployement for the needy Americans. Yet vote with every bill to waste billions of our tax dollars, on things we don't need, on money going to foreign countries, on pork projects. Until we have a congress who outs Americans ahead of money for foreign countries vote them out. If new people continue to thing Americans are not the priority keep voting them out until we get a congress who gets that. We elect these people and they act like unemployed don't matter.

workhunt.net » Blog Archive » Big corporations work to kill unemployment benefits extension because it closes their tax loopholes.
Pingback posted May 25, 2010 @ 5:13 pm

[...] the entire multinational corporation community. According to the National Employment Law Project, 1.2 million Americans who are currently eligible for extended benefits will lose them in June if Congress doesn’t [...]

Sherrie Belken
Comment posted May 25, 2010 @ 4:21 pm

So, they are not even taking about benefits to be added? how can this be? There are no new jobs. Nothing has changed, This month unemployment rose. i have been unemployed for over 2 years now. I got 2 calls for interviews. Right at the 3 month mark of my unemployment. Someone just beat me out of the Pharmaceutical job, but that was taking $15.00 after making 55,000. It was obvious there would be issues with me I could not argue with. The next interview called me in about 56-9 months later for same situation. $15.00 hr job which I was more then willing to accept, But when I arrived for interview – I was only given a test to take, application to fill out and request for access to credit report. Was never offered a job, never got to speak with anyone, it was obvious they would be able to check my credit history make a decision and never be responsible for informing me of my rights. Never heard from them again. I was violated.

I eventually, decided to apply for school loans and go back to school. At least I would have an alibi of what I was doing while I was unemployed for so long. But this alibi would could me 60,000. I had to attend my first year part time that was all I could get funding for, but I finally received private funding to attend full time. Now I can have a degree in three years. Will there be any jobs in three years? A degree is not going to help me, degree was not why I am not getting calls for interviews. If anything most definitely I am overqualified for the positions that are available. 11.00 -15.00 per hour positions, all advertised by the local Temporary Employment Agency.

The disapproval attitude that I get when i tell someone I haven't worked for 2 years is always the same and from EVERYONE. I am disgraced, my family has practically disowned me, And of this week I am completely dependent on my father who was ready to retire, but now is afraid to and is continuing to work not sure of what I am going to actually cost him.

I need more employment benefits and soon. I am racking up student loans that I am petrified I won't be able to pay back. This cannot be. I was so successful, innovative, reliable with the highest integrity. How could I be trash to throw out. Oh, I'm 53 now.

linzloo08
Comment posted May 25, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

It goes against the republican reganomics theory to go after corporations, not unemployed workers…After all, who are they're biggest campaign contributors, “Average Joes/Janes” or corporate executives?

linzloo08
Comment posted May 25, 2010 @ 5:18 pm

Which is why I can't stand to hear neo-cons like my dad complain that people who are on unemployment are unemployed because they are “too lazy to go and get a job”…Neocons just don't get that it's not easy to find a job if you become unemployed (my dad happens to be a physicist/defense contractor for lockheed martin)….

linzloo08
Comment posted May 25, 2010 @ 5:19 pm

EXACTLY!!! This will come back to bite the G-NO-P in the butt come this november…

linzloo08
Comment posted May 25, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

Good idea except for one thing….Deporting millions of productive, tax paying citizens (yes immigrants, legal and illegal do pay taxes) during an economic recession, besides wasting a lot of taxpayer money on enforcement and deportation proceedings, would basically extend the rescession and make recovery even harder.

linzloo08
Comment posted May 25, 2010 @ 5:24 pm

My thoughts exactly…These people voted blindly for bush's tax cuts for the top 1% (while similtaneously engaging in a 2 front war), and now they're worried about the budget..It smells of partisan politics to me.

linzloo08
Comment posted May 25, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

Did you check to see if you could qualify for the lifetime learning tax credit? Because that can reduce your taxes by I think a lot ( my parents used the hope tax credit this year to deduct my college tuition and it helped get my mom about a $4500 tax refund, thanks Obama!)..I know Obama expanded the hope tax credit from the first thousand dollars of tuition up to I think $2500..I'm not sure if he did the same for the lifetime credit, but he may have included something like that in the stimulus bill. I'm sorry if I'm being rude *blushes*..I was just curious.

Big corporations work to kill unemployment benefits extension because it closes their tax loopholes. - 25 Popular Blogs - Popular Bloggers.com
Pingback posted May 26, 2010 @ 7:13 am

Big corporations work to kill unemployment benefits extension because it closes their tax loopholes. « Later On
Pingback posted May 26, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

[...] the entire multinational corporation community. According to the National Employment Law Project, 1.2 million Americans who are currently eligible for extended benefits will lose them in June if Congress doesn’t act. [...]

Wonk Room » Cantor Implies That Both Preventing Teacher Layoffs And Extending Jobless Benefits Are Not Priorities
Pingback posted May 27, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

[...] far as the extension of unemployment benefits, 1.2 million Americans who are currently eligible for extended benefits will have the rug pulled out from under them in [...]

alex
Comment posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:22 pm

WE WILL NOT FORGET!! Next election – let Congress feel the sting of the unemployment lines!!! – How many years have you paid taxes? 30? 40? Your government bails out bankers and Wallstreet execs using your tax dollars – but unemployment is allowed to expire? Congress wasn’t worried about the deficit when that big insurance company and Wall Street execs were giving themselves bonuses with taxpayer money! What happened to “by the people” or “for the people”? Or are the big campaign contributors the only “people” who count to congress? They are playing games and going on vacation AGAIN FOR THE THIRD TIME while you are wondering how to feed your kids? Figure it out! You don't Matter!! Next Election MAKE YOURSELF MATTER!!! 10% unemployment carries 10% of the vote! Use it!!

eli
Comment posted May 28, 2010 @ 6:10 am

You are right in writeing this comment I feel the same way The communties that can not find work and now no jobs but most of all work over 30 years and now with this recesion no extended unemployment for the 99er is truly sad but they are the voter and tax payers and will vote to change the current personal out just like Pelosi she miss out on so many votes and when she unemployed lets see who she takes on her lavage vacations.

Norma
Comment posted May 28, 2010 @ 5:54 pm

I here you Blackmagmit. I read your post and it is almost like you are talking about my husband. 24 years of dedicated unemployment as a company, hands on' maintenance director for a propery company, who own several city apartment complexes. He was a problem solver and free pais contrator! At 56, they suddenly let him go and hired in some young hotsot, 'know all' at a third his salary. His state unemployment ran out May 9th and he gets federal help until yeah… June 2nd! Thank you US GOV who he has paid taxes to for over 45 years! One funny note … the hotshot guy quit on Monday, May 24th… too much pressure … my husband made it look so easy. FUNNY HA HA… right before the pools are not open because they didn't know they had to be winterized and all those air conditioner calls are nowcoming in fast and furious! They are now sweating it,,,, Even contractors are scratching heads, because so many of the little quirks only he knew about. KARMA has a way of turning back at ya! People keep telling him to start up by himself ~ that is probably the way he'll go

bill
Comment posted June 4, 2010 @ 6:34 pm

Extend the UI to one year look at the numbers do you think fulltime jobs are ignored you must be stupid. If these people do not get a longterm tier 5 or extension to all unemployed the washington political long term careers need to go. People are educated and still can not find a living permanant job stop the politics and do what is right by next week june 7th.

tim
Comment posted June 8, 2010 @ 4:26 am

My first tier of unemployment benefits ran out June 2nd they say Congress is voting on it on the 7th if it passes will i be able to do my weekly registration and get paid again and do u all think it will pass. I called the unemployment office today and the said that the Senate had passed it they were just waiting on the House.

jordan shoes
Comment posted June 8, 2010 @ 9:17 am

This is a real taste of the times!

SonOfaBeech
Comment posted June 13, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

“Even if it means staying in Washington as the Congressional recess approaches, the unemployment bill must move forward.” – its now 13 June 2010…congress moved forward…forward down the runway to get home…i wonder how many people lost benefits because of the inaction of congress?!?

Jacqueline Gunderson
Comment posted June 15, 2010 @ 8:04 pm

Obviously Congress is not worried where their next paycheck is coming from and choose to take a lengthy vacation while other Americans are not receiving any pay. Really wonder where their priorities are and leaves very little faith in the government.

John Paul, Phoenix, Arizona
Comment posted June 3, 2011 @ 2:10 am

Dated: June 2 2011:
Since the year 2008, US Senator’s wages has increased by 12.5%.  In the year 2008 a US Senator (not on the floor) was making $169,300 per year, in the year 2011 US Senator’s are making $193,400 per year and are only required to be in session a total of 137 days.  That comes out to $14,116.79 per day while in session.  HOW CAN THIS amount of money be justified for our representatives, while the USA is in such a financial disparity.  Cutting the unemployment benefits of over 1.2 million people, is there way to reducing the deficit.  Yet they have added a constant deficit per year of $2.410.000 (two milion four hundred ten thousand dollars) to the annual budget at the expense of the taxpayers.  This only includes the 100 Senators we have in the Senate, it does not include the raises the House of Represenatives receive.  The Federal government by refusing to extend unemployment benefits, has now literally put the responsibilities on the individual states as the increase in welfare receipients.  An additional financial burden that states can not afford.  I do not totally blame Obama’s administration for our current financial deficit, but the US Senators who have been in office for many years, and have voted to get us in our current financial state.