Report: Reid Pushing Now for 10-Month Unemployment Extension

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Though initial proposals for extending unemployment benefits have ranged from six months (in the House) to three months (in the Baucus-Grassley proposal), Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) is now pushing for an even longer extension: through the end of the year. The AP’s Andrew Taylor reports:

Facing a Feb. 28 deadline, Reid hopes to pass two measures, one as soon as Tuesday. The first includes a 30-day extension of several of soon-to-expire provisions such as jobless aid, parts of the Patriot Act and prevention of cuts in Medicare payments to doctors.

Reid and McConnell were obviously negotiating the parameters of the second — a broader, longer-term measure — in a private conversation on the Senate floor. A top Reid aide could be overheard suggesting a full-year extension of unemployment insurance and a 65 percent health insurance subsidy for the unemployed through the federal COBRA program.

Comments

Fly
Comment posted February 23, 2010 @ 2:26 pm

What is Reid thinking-this is a band-aide fix and his breaking this up into 2 components will only hurt the unemployed as the States DOL's will just have more work to do in trying to keep up. And we the unemployed will pay the price. Fix the damn expiring EUC Law and extends the benefits tiers. Why are the unemployed always treated like the step-child? I guess the fact that millions of us losing our safety net is not as important as getting in the corporate tax breaks..get a clue DC! Over the games-these are peoples lives we are talking about.

AJ
Comment posted February 23, 2010 @ 2:55 pm

“Of note, the extension they’re considering surrounds the filing deadline for existing benefits, not the creation of a additional benefit tiers.”

I could be wrong, but this sounds like it wont affect the people whose benefits (4th tier) expire prior to the Feb. 28th deadline. If this is the case, there are going to be a lot of people left without anything. How is that going to affect the economy?

Fly
Comment posted February 23, 2010 @ 3:11 pm

Exactly-it is for the expiring EUC Law. My point was that they are going to add the extension for the expiring ARRA and they “should” add in more benefit tiers but they won't…or they won't address it right now. It's more important to address tax extenders then to throw the unemployed a lifeline.

ANGIE555
Comment posted February 23, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

We need to get a hold of their attention! Im sure all of you have been emailing and calling reids office correct? Well more and more! What about the long term unemployed I dont know when you guys are running out of the big 6 weeks of tier 4 but im done as of two weeks ago! Back in octobet they said there was over a million of us and thats why they gave this last extension well that million should beout very soon ! no? Please email the Ed show on msnbc i spoke to someone there yesterday! if we can get news coverage maybe they will pay some attention to us! thanks angie

ANGIE555
Comment posted February 23, 2010 @ 4:15 pm

HIT THOSE PHONES !!!! EMAIL THE WHITEHOUSE AND SENATOR REIDS OFFICE. MAKE UP AN ADDRESS FOR NEVADA IF YOU HAVE TO . SOME SENATORS WILL ONLY RECIEVE EMAILS FROM THEIR STATE I JJUST MAKE ONE UP AND SEND IT!! I SEND IT 100 TIMES IF POSSIBLE THEN I CALL AND LEAVE MESSAGES OVER AND OVER , BUT ONE PERSON DONTHAVE PULL I NEED ALOT ALOT OF HELP, WE NEED ALOT OF HELP! ASK FRIENDS FAMILY NEIGHBORE WHOEVER….. WE NEED TO GET A NEW TIER ASAP

uberVU - social comments
Trackback posted February 23, 2010 @ 4:25 pm

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by TMCMemberFeed: Wash. Independent: Report: Reid Pushing Now for 10-Month Unemployment Extension: Though initial proposals for exte… http://bit.ly/cELmwW...

monkey99
Comment posted February 23, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

Done.

monkey99
Comment posted February 23, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

I've called all my Representatives on this issue. I'm not sure why there isn't any alacrity in the matter.

The only help will come from the Dems. The GOP WANTS you to fail, apparently.

I'm trying to help, ANGIE.

ANGIE555
Comment posted February 24, 2010 @ 11:37 am

JOBS BILL PASSED SENATE THIS MORNING AND IS ON ITS WAY TO THE HOUSE FOR FINAL VOTE TOMORROW . IT IS SUPPOSE TO CREATE 250,000 NEW JOBS BY YEARS END!! LETS PUSH NOW FOR US AND SOME NEW TIERS DONT FORGET NANCY PELOSI, HARRY REID,A ND THE WHITEHOUSE!! CALL AND EMAIL ITS THE ONLY WAY WE ARE OGIUNG TO GET ANYTHING FOR LONG TERM UNEMPLOYED THEY HAVE TAKEN CARE OF MOVING THE DEADLINE NOW WE NEED NEW TIERS EVERYONE SHOULD BE OUT OF TIER 4 IN MARCH SOMETIME SO LETS DO IT NOW.. AND PLEASE DONT FORGET TO EMAIL AND CALL THE ED SHULTZ SHOW ONMSNBC HE A DIE HEART DEM AND LOVES TALKING ABOUT WHAT THE GOP BLOCKS THANK YOU

ANGIE555
Comment posted February 24, 2010 @ 11:40 am

MONKEY 99 DONT WORRY ABOUT THE GOP THERE ARE PLENTY OF THEM OUT OF WORK ALSO ITS NOT JUST US. HIT THOSE EMAILS UNTIL YOUR FINGERS ARE SORE. AND ASK WHY THE LONG TERM UNEMPLOYED (WHO STILL VOTE AND WILL VOTE THIS NOVEMBER) IS LEFT OUT AGAIN!!! ALSO EMAIL ED SHULTZ AT THE MSNBC LINK AND ASK HIM ON HIS EMAIL TO COVER US . THEY SAID THEY WOULD DO THE STORY IF THERE WERE ENOUGH REQUESTS THANKS MONKEY 99 AND CALL REIDS OFFIVE IN NEVADA AND ASK HIM TOO! TELL THEM WE ARE CONTACTING ALL NEWS ROOMS AND HAVE MANY PETITIONS TO REMOVE THEM IF THIS DOESNT HAPPEN THANKS

monkey99
Comment posted February 24, 2010 @ 10:14 pm

Doing my part, Angie.

I don't like seeing so many out of work. My sister is one of those, as well. It sickens me that the Senate will not earn their pay.

Paradoxical, isn't it? Those who WANT to work, can't. Those who DON'T want to work, Collect paychecks.

Hang tough, Angie, stick it out as best you can, it won't last forever. I know it's little comfort, bad always seems to last longer than good, but it's not permanent.

lostjobs
Comment posted February 25, 2010 @ 1:54 am

We are all lucky to have the Washington Independent news let us all gather here on their site to comment. It is nice people can all come here to try to help each other. And to give some moral support.

And Angie you are the real leader of this group.
And I think we would all feel lost without out you here.
You have probably worked harder than any of us.
And we appreciate all the help and support coming from you.

monkey99
Comment posted February 25, 2010 @ 3:14 am

Doing my part, Angie.

By the way, I just E-mailed Ed.

lostjobs
Comment posted February 25, 2010 @ 6:54 am

And Angie you are the real leader of this group.
And I think we would all feel lost without out you here.
You have probably worked harder than any of us.
And we appreciate all the help and support coming from you.

Jim
Comment posted March 18, 2010 @ 5:53 pm

Sign the tier 5 petition!

cheap mbt shoes
Comment posted May 8, 2010 @ 7:31 am

Thanks for you share the article.Good!

nike shox
Comment posted May 25, 2010 @ 6:39 am

Good.post.I like it.

jordan shoes
Comment posted June 8, 2010 @ 9:28 am

This is a real taste of the times!

Übersetzungsbüro Frankfurt
Comment posted October 4, 2010 @ 3:50 pm

This article is amaizing. I like your posts.

North face jackets
Comment posted October 13, 2010 @ 8:06 am

I can only inform you, but you must develop the ability to absorb the lesson.

cheap timberland boots
Comment posted December 24, 2010 @ 2:29 am

It was fun visiting here. Wishing you a great day! I wish everyone have had a great day.
asdfdsa