Max Blumenthal Hounded, Challenged at CPAC

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 2:44 pm

On the way in to Newt Gingrich’s speech I spotted a crowd of the size that usually clouds around a 2012 presidential hopeful. It was Max Blumenthal, who was trying to conduct a Q&A with Hannah Giles and had drawn in dozens of onlooker with video cameras and tape recorders. A combative CPAC attendee named Jeff Cappella, a graduate student who’d spent 14 years in intelligence (I happened to have been buttonholed by him yesterday, when he gave me a Socratic grilling on torture) was firing shots at Blumenthal.

“You’re using guilt by association,” said Cappella, knocking Blumenthal for having reported on James O’Keefe’s attendance at a 2006 forum on race and conservatism. “You’re here now — are you a conservative?” He pointed to his own “Draft Cheney” sticker. “Do you support Dick Cheney for president because you’re here?”

(Photo by David Weigel)

(Photo by David Weigel)

“I support Dick Cheney for the Republican nomination,” said Blumenthal.

“For president of the United States?”

It got more combative — Cappella mocked Blumenthal for turning his head away (“You can crack your neck all you want, but I’ve got you on the ropes.”) while Blumenthal mocked Cappella’s pretentiousness (“You like the word ‘rubric,’ don’t you?”). Cappella stumbled when he asked why Blumenthal didn’t worry about President Obama having a “Hamas member in his cabinet” — when he couldn’t back it up, the liberal reporter finally succeeded in getting back to Giles, offering to give her and James O’Keefe signed copies of his book if they grabbed a drink.

“I turn 21 in June,” she averred. “I could have a lemonade!”

How manic was this? As I tried to walk on, a reporter for the CBC shoved a microphone in my face and asked what we were watching. “What is this? What is happening?” he said. I pointed him to Cappella, who seemed confused that the media wanted to cover his sparring match. In the background, Blumenthal tried to move on, followed by more cameras. When you remember that Blumenthal started getting real attention for his exposes when he filmed a combative “unauthorized documentary” at CPAC 2007, this role reversal — with giddy, camera-toting conservatives trying to cut him down to size — was incredibly ironic.

Categories & Tags: | | | |

Comments

uberVU - social comments
Trackback posted February 20, 2010 @ 4:18 pm

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by TWI_news: Max Blumenthal Hounded, Challenged at CPAC http://bit.ly/9DMXtK...

mepmep09
Comment posted February 20, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

I hope Max Blumenthal wasn't so naive as to think he could saunter through the halls of the CPAC venue without being recognized. At this point his face is well known among right-wing activists, who have been his favorite targets for several years. The fact that video appears to be his main medium of choice, and that a lot of his videos include his own image (usually doing interviews), made easy recognition inevitable.

I doubt that MB was so naive, and I suspect that his tactics have 'evolved' toward intentionally being an irritant to the crowd, then getting the crowd response on video-cam. We'll know for sure sometime this coming week; I expect to see video clips on his site and YouTube in fairly short order.

Sugglife
Comment posted February 20, 2010 @ 7:42 pm

@mepmep- no way, blumenthal's a whizbang, he isn't naive in the slightest. CPAC allowed him a pass to attend. They just came better prepared, supposedly, for his allowed appearance. I can't wait to see it, though. I'm sure he still shut 'em down!!!

SteveCan
Comment posted February 21, 2010 @ 12:16 am

Like father like son ……..Elitist slime

DJ
Comment posted February 21, 2010 @ 1:46 am

Blumenthal is a sad soulless little man.

Guess what Weigel? Wou're a racist now too… 'cause race-bater Max Blumenthal said so!

TeaPartyFee549
Comment posted February 21, 2010 @ 2:30 am

I said it before, and I'll say it again: The Scary Neo-Nazi Skinhead Movement of the 1980s has been reborn in the young-republicans of today.

The manner, the rhetoric, the concentration -and subsequent free-basing- of contrived and righteous anger, the paranoia, the wacko conspiracies, the certainty that fellow Americans whothink differently are “terrorists”… it's a typical 80's boot-boy stomping ground with tuxes, ties and $20 'tini's.

Reminds me of that four hour “2-Minute Hate” that was RNC 2004, with Zell Miller threating reporters, and conservatives angry as ever even though they were, at the time, getting EVERYTHING they wanted through the Bush Adm, and their stupid war.

TeaPartyFee549
Comment posted February 21, 2010 @ 1:18 pm

Cheers to Max!!!!! He's one of the greatest assets to modern journalism, as well as to history. I cant wait for his film on this event to come to light, and I understand that, pending permission, he'll soon be adding a few highlights to YouTube.

Avid CPAC enthusiasts have already posted their versions of this confrontation on youtube…interestingly enough, in those versions, Blumenthal is practically muted out. And he is muted out both by the lunatic raving of the CPAC attendees, and (I am certain) by the videographers thmeselves (Breitbart's smear-oriented moonie cult of so-called “citizen journalists” have already learned, throught the person of O'Keefe, the media-value of selectively croping their footage for content, while harping on pointless loopholes as arguments.)

Cheers to Max for having the courage to meet these freaks on their own territory, something James O'keefe has consistently wet his pants about (read his bizarre 9-11-09 statement on BigGov as to why he wouldnt interview on CNN… what a coward!!!)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the Young Republicans of America have just been a preppie re-hash of the '80's skinhead movement… they are exactly alike in rhetoric, behavior, ideology, paranoia, anger, taking-points etc… and they are inviting their own demise by trusting the likes of Andrew Breitbart to micro-manage, manipulate, and ultimately capitalize on their incoherent and misplaced rage.

For Shame!!!!!

Swami_Binkinanda
Comment posted February 21, 2010 @ 4:37 pm

CPAC read up on the two minute hate and picked Blumenthal instead of Goldstein. Not a surprise.

TeaPartyFee549
Comment posted February 22, 2010 @ 3:49 am

So where's the audio from Max? Too damaging to include, the way Katherine Conway Russell's was? You've learned well from your masters at BigGov… just edit out what you dont like, and “viola!” you have yourself a smear job. BigGov has taught you well… but do be careful where they lead you, they arent really stable.

Look, just because you yell louder than someone else, dont give him a chance to speak, and drown him out by hollering does not make you “right”, or “correct,” it just makes you a meat-head.

For the record, James O IS a racist, and I didnt need Daryll Jenkins to point that out for me… O'Keefe & co. demonstrate that quite solidly on their own.

TeaPartyFee549
Comment posted February 22, 2010 @ 3:55 am

One more thing DJ, you ought to be entriely ashamed of yourself.

You are claiming here that Blumenthal called Weigel a racist, and then you slide this stupid video of Breitbart freeaking out on his routine coke binge… what, as proof? You know perfectly well that Max cannot be heard in this video because Max is being drowned out by that slavering madman, and his meat-headed goons. But you still post this as if it offers “proof” of something… talk about the politics of personal destruction!!!

Youre a bold-faced liar, and i'll say it again, you have learned well from your masters… and when you see where they lead you (a place far worse than where Bush Jr left you), remember what the GOP said to the victims of Katrina: “it was your choice.”

TeaPartyFee549
Comment posted February 22, 2010 @ 8:49 am

TeaPartyFee549
Comment posted February 22, 2010 @ 8:55 am

One more thing DJ, you ought to be entriely ashamed of yourself.

coffret cadeau couple
Comment posted September 6, 2011 @ 10:00 am

certainly like your web-site however you have to check the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very troublesome to inform the truth nevertheless I’ll surely come back again.