The $1,597.29 Tea Party Dinner

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Back in October I reported on some of the Tea Party groups’ annoyance with Our Country Deserves Better and its Tea Party Express project, a flashy effort that some original Tea Party organizers viewed as a shell game for Republican consultants. Talking Points Memo followed up on that with a look at the group’s payouts to consultants. Then, the TPE’s Joe Weirzbicki responded to Robert Stacy McCain by arguing that the “vast majority of that money was to reimburse Russo Marsh + Associates for the efforts where we fronted the money in our capacity as the organizers of the Tea Party Express.”

Regardless, TPE remains a deeply controversial project for some Tea Party organizers. Robin Stublin, an original Tea Party organizer who has quit Tea Party Patriots in order to keep that group out of this fight, is going straight after TPE, pointing out that its expenses on food and consultant fees are far out of whack with the needs of a real grassroots group. One outrage that he pointed out to me and to Stephanie Mencimer was “$1,597.29 over the summer for a meal for six at a tony Sacramento Chops restaurant.”

Stublin is working hard to get out the message about TPE’s buckraking; he even criticized Deborah Johns, a “marine mom” who has presented herself as a sort of pro-war answer to Cindy Sheehan, with a son who (contrary to Fox News) is still alive.

“I honor, respect, and appreciate every person who’s served in armed forces,” said Stublin. “But if I’m a parent and I take money like this, I think I dishonor that sacrifice.”

Comments

Tweets that mention The $1,597.29 Tea Party Dinner « The Washington Independent -- Topsy.com
Pingback posted December 30, 2009 @ 5:59 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by JulesBeaujolais, WashIndependent. WashIndependent said: The $1,597.29 Tea Party Dinner http://bit.ly/8IYWP9 [...]

uberVU - social comments
Trackback posted December 30, 2009 @ 6:13 pm

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by TWI_news: The $1,597.29 Tea Party Dinner http://bit.ly/8IYWP9...

NewHampshire
Comment posted December 30, 2009 @ 6:18 pm

Oh Piffle. This is one group who raised money for a bus. It doesn't speak for the millions of others who have nothing to do with this.

monkey99
Comment posted December 30, 2009 @ 8:17 pm

The teabaggers are chumps. This proves it. They allowed their “movement” to be usurped by the Repubs, for a different message. No, the same message. The same tired message the American people were bamboozled with, nine years ago.

So baggers…….How's it feel, to be punk'd by the same liars that screwed you?
Keep waving those stupid signs. We'll all be laughing, for some time to come. Or you could finally pluck your heads from your behinds, and join folk who fight for social justice.

The $1597.29 Tea Party Dinner « The Washington Independent IM Consultant
Pingback posted December 30, 2009 @ 8:33 pm

[...] more here:  The $1597.29 Tea Party Dinner « The Washington Independent By admin | category: independent consultant | tags: call-or-text, Consultant?, ctmh, [...]

The $1597.29 Tea Party Dinner « The Washington Independent China Best Tea
Pingback posted December 30, 2009 @ 9:15 pm

[...] Read more here:  The $1597.29 Tea Party Dinner « The Washington Independent [...]

ClayBarham
Comment posted December 30, 2009 @ 9:43 pm

GO TO PERSON
Rush Limbaugh said each family should have a “go to person” who can answer questions about political issues. To that end, I suggest starting at the simple roots that show the differences between two sides at claysamerica.com.

kagimom
Comment posted December 31, 2009 @ 2:03 am

I wouldn't know monkey 99, because I am a Tea Party Patriot, not a teabagger. And I never was a Republican. My family has been carrying “those signs” since the Revolutionary War and we will still prevail. I want social justice, I just don't want social dependence.

chrisjay
Comment posted December 31, 2009 @ 2:08 am

“I want social justice, I just don't want social dependence” would make a lousy Tea Party sign—–just stick to the Obama-with-Hitler-moustache classic

chrisjay
Comment posted December 31, 2009 @ 2:13 am

Rush Limbaugh said lots of ignorant, racist and anti-American things.
In my family, we all agree on one thing:
Rush Limbaugh is a stupid, fat idiot

marion12
Comment posted December 31, 2009 @ 2:47 am

Social Justice? Do you even know what that means? Lenin called you the 'useful idiots' Have you ever looked into the barrel of a machine gun? I have.
Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

The $1597.29 Tea Party Dinner « The Washington Independent Tea
Pingback posted December 31, 2009 @ 5:37 am

[...] here:  The $1597.29 Tea Party Dinner « The Washington Independent By admin | category: tea party | tags: country, country-deserves, express, flashy-effort, [...]

John
Comment posted December 31, 2009 @ 8:02 am

monkey,After reading your post, it seems that you might be the very person I need to explain to me what, exactly, is meant by the expression “social Justice”.. I have heard that phrase used on a new show but I dont know what it is exactly that the anchor person was trying to describe. Can you elaborate? I'll check this site again later today hopefully you can explain the point of view shared by the “folk who fight for social justice” and the meathods used in the fight.

Sexy Bikini Party Girls! | Fling Hotel
Pingback posted December 31, 2009 @ 9:17 am

[...] The $1597.29 Tea Party Dinner « The Washington Independent [...]

monkey99
Comment posted December 31, 2009 @ 11:46 am

Let's look at the healthcare insurance industry. I think you would agree, at this point, that the HII is victimizing Americans today. Reform is a joke, because they have suborned the legislative process. Not all of us agree (and I wouldn't expect us to) on how to curb their greed over doing what it is they're supposed to do. I'm not anti-Capitalist, but even the most ardent Conservative can (or should) see that protecting them instead of their constituents is the wrong answer. That is just one aspect.
Methods? Good question. All I can tell you is what has already happened. Without actually sitting in the House, watching the process, none of us can really know. I'd have to be there to formulate an idea for that one. We can discuss this at length, in future, because your query is a good one!

monkey99
Comment posted December 31, 2009 @ 11:47 am

I have, twice. Don't preach to me about what it is I should be thinking, either.

monkey99
Comment posted December 31, 2009 @ 11:59 am

Your movement has been taken over, in certain parts of the country, by the GOP.(and the number is growing) Those areas that have, are furious at what is happening. Your movement has also been seen as “radicalized” with a decidedly racist and extreme point of view. That in itself, has made the movement appear “crazy”.
Our system has been turned into a “meat grinder” of sorts. If you take an objective (remember, objective) look around, even you would have to agree with that. Social justice in this case, would mean a return to a system that SERVES the people, not feed off it.
Almost anything we can institute would be better than what we have now. The extremists have made it look as though anything we do to correct the present system is “socialist”, “communist” or any other crazy label. THAT is not constructive, and they know that. These are the people taking over your movement.

marion12
Comment posted December 31, 2009 @ 3:03 pm

I wasn't talking about military, but thank you for your service. I'm also not telling you what to think, I am trying to GET you to think. Social justice is taking from those who have to the ones who have not, with Government deciding how to distribute the wealth (or needs to be paid off) putting people at the mercy of a few in control. Remember what Thomas Jefferson said.”If you have a government that can give you everything, you have a government that can take everything away.” You also change from a citizen to being a subject. Isn't that why our forefathers left their homeland and started the greatest, most successful experiment in human history? A free country that puts PEOPLE in charge of the government?
Social justice was the battle cry in Russia, Cuba, China, Zimbabwe , pick your revolution. How did that work for them? You think they just did not do it right? Yup, Lenin knew human nature! There are always enough disenfranchised useful idiots that will do their bidding and dying for them.
If you have one of Obama's Zsars say that “The free market system is a joke, it is all about power and we agree with Mao that real power only comes from the barrel of a gun, so If you want a friend, get a dog, ” you better pay attention. (Ron Blom, I bet you can google it)
Now get a Job, or go back to school, so you can participate in the wealth of this country instead of sitting around waiting for government to give you part of of what someone else earned. ( I am retired, I have earned the right to waste my time with nitwits like yourself)
Also, rest assured, I am a Tea Party Patriot and I will fight for your freedom too. Payback for your time in the service. lol

marion12
Comment posted December 31, 2009 @ 3:16 pm

Sorry John, I did not read your post in time, I would have been interested too on how monkey defines 'social justice' LOL

Wetgrooves Sexy Bikini Pool Party WMC | Fling Hotel
Pingback posted December 31, 2009 @ 4:17 pm

[...] The $1597.29 Tea Party Dinner « The Washington Independent [...]

monkey99
Comment posted December 31, 2009 @ 5:31 pm

It is the bad rap the word “social” has gotten over the years. Somehow, it is associated exactly as you interpret. I'm not anti-capitalist, as you may infer, but it's apt you use Jefferson, because the GOP has effectively “taken away” any assistance those in this country need, in regard to healthcare.
Your “movement” is being taken over by the same clowns that almost brought on the “Depression of 2009″. Also, your “movement” has garnered racists and extremists.(seems like you are one, yourself, so no soapboxing, please)

By the way, I'm also retired, at 50. I worked for what I have, too. How long did it take you? Your feeble attempts at lowbrow humor just paint you as a crybaby that doesn't really know what they want, like all the rest of the lemmings you associate with.
So stand on streetcorners, waving those ridiculous signs, with that vacant look only an ignorant mind can bring. Rest assured, I'll be laughing! LOL!

monkey99
Comment posted December 31, 2009 @ 5:55 pm

Almost forgot….HEIL HITLER! and a happy new year!

Cannon
Comment posted December 31, 2009 @ 7:02 pm

It would be funny to go to one of those tea bagger parties with a sign that says, “KEEP YOUR GOVERNMENT HANDS OFF MY MEDICARE!” It would be interesting what kind of reaction it would get.

It is too bad that the legislators won't just lower the age to get medicare down to 40. Medicare is a very efficient government program. Ninty-five percent (95%) of medicare dollars goes into healthcare. About 60% to 70% of the money paid into the private insurance companies goes into healthcare. The private insurance's 30% to 40% that does not go into healthcare makes the insurance CEOs rich billionaires. These CEO's got there by finding ways to not pay out on claims. It's a sick industry literally.

Medicare was originally put in place to have the tax payer take on the burden of providing healthcare for the elderly, those who would cost the private insurance companies too much money. It's all about the private health insurance companies making their billions of dollars in profits. It should be illegal for private health insurance companies to make a profit. They should all be made into nonprofit businesses. Making a business of denying peoples' claims is criminal.

marion12
Comment posted December 31, 2009 @ 7:27 pm

Well monkey, you win
If your argument after reading my post is that I must be a racist there is nowhere else to go.
The economist Henry Rosovsky once said “Never underestimate the difficulty of changing false beliefs by facts.”

Also, good for you to be able to retire at 50. You are right, I am not as smart, I am older. You win on all counts,
and good call on that HEIL HITLER as well. I grew up right next to the Berlin Wall , at a time when the Russians were still patrolling it, was detained several times and could tell you stories that would make your hair stand on etch. But let me not confuse you with facts. Your mind seems to be made up.
Here's to Hope and Change.

monkey99
Comment posted December 31, 2009 @ 7:51 pm

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about you.

masonpaulson
Comment posted January 1, 2010 @ 1:18 pm

I agree. He makes his swarm of listeners angry. They love to listen to him constantly because they like to be surprised by his insane racist philosophy. What is this moran going to say next? It shows that we have millions of trailer trash people in the USA to drunk to get out to the food court. God Bless America. We need something for these tea bagger protesters, Christian Right uneducated fools who mean well but have no hope. Fat boy offers no hope just the Rush Limbaugh fart dance. Keep listening to the fat pig and you will become frozen plastic figurines.

masonpaulson