Rand Paul, Frontrunner

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 10:57 am

It’s a token of how surprised people are by Rand Paul‘s U.S. Senate campaign in Kentucky that a poll showing him 19 points up is spun this way by the pollster.

“It’s going to be harder and harder for the political establishment to ignore Rand Paul if he’s posting these kinds of numbers,” said Dean Debnam, President of Public Policy Polling.  “He has a real shot at winning the Republican nomination.”

He has a “real shot” with  a 44-25 lead over Trey Grayson, the youthful secretary of state and the party’s preferred — less controversial — choice. Six months out from the state’s primary, there’s reason to ask whether Grayson’s sleepy Rose Garden campaign is failing to take Paul seriously.

Categories & Tags: | | | |

Comments

Tweets that mention Rand Paul, Frontrunner « The Washington Independent -- Topsy.com
Pingback posted December 22, 2009 @ 10:58 am

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by daveweigel, WashIndependent. WashIndependent said: Rand Paul, Frontrunner http://bit.ly/7qZKmB [...]

uberVU - social comments
Trackback posted December 22, 2009 @ 11:07 am

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by TWI_news: Rand Paul, Frontrunner http://bit.ly/7qZKmB...

Danielstwin
Comment posted December 22, 2009 @ 11:56 am

i love this it just keeps getting better

Alan
Comment posted December 22, 2009 @ 1:12 pm

I'm going to donate to Rand Paul again. Let's get him into the Senate.

Lisa Graas
Comment posted December 22, 2009 @ 5:02 pm

Rand Paul is bad for Kentucky. There's no way Kentucky would vote for him in the general election. He's showing a lead now because of the out-of-state money that's poured in to get his name out front and center. The only real conservative in this race is Bill Johnson. If Rand Paul wins the primary, you may as well kiss goodbye any chance for a Republican win in the general election. There's also been a gamechanger which makes this poll moot – the fact that Rand Paul selected an anti-Christian racist to be his campaign coordinator. This lead won't last.

thesheriffsani
Comment posted December 22, 2009 @ 11:26 pm

I'm not sure what's more amazing, Paul's polling or his amazing ability to accidentally draw racists to his campaign. I mean, someone vetted Chris Hightower, right? Right?

Jamika
Comment posted December 23, 2009 @ 1:38 pm

Rand Paul’s opponents’ sleazy attempts to paint him as something other than a staunch social conservative just earned them a lump of West Virginia coal in their stockings for Christmas. The Concerned Women for America PAC has issued its endorsement of Rand in the 2010 GOP primary:

Joey Smith
Comment posted December 26, 2009 @ 8:41 pm

Rand Paul is great for Kentucky!!! Once his wins the primary the democratic candidates will have no shot. Democrat is a dirty word in Kentucky right now, because of the current members in congress and the administration. The green party would fare better than them.
I really liked Bunning. He had the rug pulled out from under him by McConnell and the other RINO's because he chose to be loyal to the Constitution over his party. If nothing else I'd like Rand in because it would drive McConnell nuts. Get rid of Bunning just to get Rand Paul. The irony is soooo sweat!!
Rand appears as loyal to the Constitution as his father and seems to be able to present himself to the public better than his father.
It will be nice to once again have someone truthfully swear “to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies; foreign and DOMESTIC” for a change.

robnot
Comment posted December 30, 2009 @ 1:34 pm

The “Concerned Women for America PAC” may endorse Mr. Paul, but this “concerned woman in America” will be supporting Mr. Bill Johnson. He's the farthest thing from a D.C. “politician” we have going, and that's unbelievably refreshing.

Dr_David
Comment posted January 1, 2010 @ 5:00 pm

I find it interesting that the weaker the candidate, the more the verbage from his or her supporters. Rand Paulers', a dangerous empty suit proliferations are a feeble attempt to hide the fact that he is an empty suit.

Bill Johnson? Duty-Honor-Country! Education, experience, leadership, integrity, grit, and character.

geketa
Comment posted January 1, 2010 @ 8:54 pm

I find it interesting that a Libertarian like Paul is running as a Republican here in Kentucky ! Oddly enough he is pandering to those that don't know the difference! I suppose hiring racist and rudeness is a part of his weak platform,too .
Bill Johnson, on the other hand would be a statesmen for Kentucky looking out for our best interest and not cave under the pressures in Washington.

Joey
Comment posted January 1, 2010 @ 11:49 pm

I find it interesting that people still believe that party affiliation says anything meaningful about a candidate. For too many years Repubs and Dems have been two sides of the same coin. As far a Libertarian running on a Repub ticket….I have no problem with that, even though Rand falls somewhere between where both parties are currently headed. I'm currently registered repub, but I'll change it in a heartbeat depending on what I'm looking at in a primary (since Ky has a closed primary system). Party affiliation is a lost cause, each must be evaluated on their own merit.
Dems and Repubs have so much control over the election process and fundraising that it is nearly impossible for new blood to be elected if they don't have an R or D after their name.
I'm from Western Kentucky and I like Johnson. I don't believe that Dr. David or geketa's slanders reflect Johnson properly. Both are good candidates and certainly the fresh non-establishment blood we need. All the same, Johnson showed up too late for this party and I'll pitch my lot with Paul. Now down the road when McConnell is up re-election….I'd certainly like to see Johnson take him on early and hard in the primary (because Mitch will NEVER get my vote again). I think it would be great to have both our Senators coming from Western, Ky, for a change.

geketa