What Congress Should Ask McChrystal Tomorrow & Wednesday

Monday, December 07, 2009 at 2:25 pm

As mentioned earlier, tomorrow morning Gen. Stanley McChrystal and Amb. Karl Eikenberry begin two days of hearings on the revised Afghanistan strategy. I’ll be providing up-to-the-minute coverage on this blog. And to that end, I was thinking about writing some preview questions about what to look for, as I typically do. But luckily for the both of us, Danger Room’s Noah Shachtman has already written that post!

With luck, staffers for the House and Senate armed-services and foreign-affairs committee are slipping printouts of this post into their bosses’ briefing books. There are too many good questions here for me to excerpt them all. Here’s a few I’d focus on, though:

You’ve said the primary mission of ISAF forces should be to secure the population. So why are 9,000 of the 30,000 surge troops headed to largely rural Helmand province? Why are Marines now assaulting the largely abandoned city of Now Zad?

I’d even take this one a bit further. General, which population centers will we secure, and which areas will we neglect? What’s the measurement? And how do we mitigate against insurgents taking hold in the places we’re not going?

Despite your rules on air strikes, there have been several instances of ISAF bombing runs killing large numbers of civilians. What are the results of the investigations into the September 4th air strikes on Kunduz? The November 6th air strike in Baghdis province?

Do you expect the rules of engagement for air strikes to change, with the escalation of the war?

Great queries. By now, you can probably guess the question I’d add. General, ambassador: will we hand over security responsibilities to Afghan soldiers and policemen while the safe havens for al-Qaeda still exist in Pakistan?

Update: But maybe you can do better! Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) is asking you to tell her what she should ask McChrystal tomorrow. Hit up her Facebook wall.

Follow Spencer Ackerman on Twitter

Comments

Tweets that mention What Congress Should Ask McChrystal « The Washington Independent -- Topsy.com
Pingback posted December 7, 2009 @ 2:28 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by attackerman, WashIndependent. WashIndependent said: What Congress Should Ask McChrystal http://bit.ly/6rj2ZE [...]

Frank Hope
Comment posted December 7, 2009 @ 4:29 pm

I'm surprised (and disappointed) that neither you nor Noah Shachtman are asking questions about the role of JSOC and Blackwater in Pakistan as reported by Jeremy Scahill in The Nation. I'm concerned that there has been a news blackout by the MSM on this issue. It's the duty of our representatives in Congress to oversee the military. They cannot simply ignore this duty by turning a blind eye.

“All the news…” – except Blackwater

“All the news…” – except Blackwater

Frank Hope
Comment posted December 7, 2009 @ 9:30 pm

“All the news…” – except Blackwater

What Congress Should Ask McChrystal (Updated) | Martial Sciences
Pingback posted December 8, 2009 @ 5:08 pm

[...] Spencer Ackerman wants to know “which population centers will we secure, and which areas will we neglect? What’s the measurement? And how do we mitigate against insurgents taking hold in the places [...]