Poll: 52 Percent of Republicans Say ACORN Stole the 2008 Election

Thursday, November 19, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I wish that the results of this new survey from Public Policy Polling, via Eric Kleefeld, were more surprising.

Among Republicans… only 27% say Obama actually won the race, with 52% — an outright majority — saying that ACORN stole it, and 21% are undecided. Among McCain voters, the breakdown is 31%-49%-20%. By comparison, independents weigh in at 72%-18%-10%, and Democrats are 86%-9%-4%.

“Clinton only got elected in 1992 because Ross Perot got back in the race,” said Miller. He attributed Perot’s decision to pressure from the “Dixie mafia, Jimmy Carter’s organization — they ran half the South.” And according to Miller, Barack Obama had only won the 2008 election because of fraud by the community organizing group ACORN.

“You can assume 10 percent of Obama’s votes were fraudulent votes,” said Bench.

I’ve heard this all over the country, and there’s no basis for it whatsoever. Back in May, former Nevada GOP chairwoman Sue Lowden–now a candidate against Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.)–told me that ACORN did not have an effect in her state, one of several where Republicans filed pre-election lawsuits against the group.

On Election Day, recalled Nevada Republican Party Chairwoman Sue Lowden, the GOP watched the issue closely, alerted state officials to bogus registrations, and dispatched “trained people” to the polls to look for voters showing up to cast ballots under assumed names at fake addresses. None showed up. “Would it have made a difference?” asked Lowden. “No, none of our races were that close.”

Picture 47

Comments

Tweets that mention Poll: 52 Percent of Republicans Say ACORN Stole the 2008 Election « The Washington Independent -- Topsy.com
Pingback posted November 19, 2009 @ 12:55 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by mattdelong, WashIndependent. WashIndependent said: Poll: 52 Percent of Republicans Say ACORN Stole the 2008 Election http://bit.ly/2nvioW [...]

ACLS
Comment posted November 19, 2009 @ 1:07 pm

I have to dispute the format of the question. There are only three options, “It was legit,” “ACORN stole it,” and “I don't know.” You have to imagine that there are a lot of Republicans who think Obama is illegitimate but wouldn't necessarily volunteer ACORN as the culprit, with the alternative being “Not Sure” as opposed to “I don't know”. The question setup has it as ACORN or nothing, which is practically begging for the kind of result they got.

Yes, it speaks to the crazy that has possessed the GOP base, but for all ACORN's branding problems, I don't think you can really hang this on them. I'd be more interested to see what percentage of identified Republicans would volunteer that ACORN stole the election, as opposed to any other group.

mantis
Comment posted November 19, 2009 @ 1:53 pm

Who cares? 52% of Republicans believe it was stolen, by ACORN or through some other means, without any reason to believe it whatsoever (other than the fact-free ravings of talk radio hosts). The wording of the poll doesn't matter much. The key takeaway is that at least half of the Republican Party are insane.

matt
Comment posted November 19, 2009 @ 2:43 pm

Dave,

Considering PPP's poor performance in NY-23, is it possible their automated method attracts an unrepresentative group of Republican respondents (i.e. its skews teabaggy)?

mantis
Comment posted November 19, 2009 @ 3:09 pm

There's an interesting theory that many polls are “skewing teabaggy” lately, due to teabaggers unusual willingness to participate in polls. Most people have no interest in answering a telephone poll (average poll response rates are around 20% these days). If 50% of teabaggers are excited to “have their voice heard” in a poll, compared to normal response rates among the rest of the population, that could certainly skew results.

Will The Losing Party Ever Believe In An Election Result Again? « Around The Sphere
Pingback posted November 19, 2009 @ 3:52 pm

[...] David Weigel at The Washington Independent: Again, I’m not surprised. When I covered the run-up to the 9/12 taxpayer march on Washington, I encountered multiple conservative activists who said ACORN–then in the news for the James O’Keefe/Hannah Giles sting videos–had stolen the election. From my story: [...]

AlCum
Comment posted November 19, 2009 @ 4:30 pm

Is there even a credible allegation anywhere in the nation that there was even ONE single fraudulent vote due to ACORN? Just what in the world do the republicans think this group of poor people did?

Selected Reading (19/11/09) « The Bleeding Heart Show
Pingback posted November 19, 2009 @ 4:47 pm

[...] 52% of Republicans believe that ACORN stole the last Presidential election. Y’know, the one won by the black dude. In a landslide. [...]

GunTotinLiberal
Comment posted November 19, 2009 @ 4:51 pm

If one puts themselves in the Regressives shoes, it becomes easy to understand why they feel this way. Believing the election was stolen is a lot easier than admitting that the majority of Americans have rejected them, their leaders and their values.

smartalek
Comment posted November 19, 2009 @ 5:12 pm

“at least half of the Republican Party are insane”

We didn't need this poll to determine that.
Anyone who thinks that…
…Saddam Hussein's Iraq had WMDs
…Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9/11
…the Community Reinvestment Act caused the financial meltdown
…President Obama was born anywhere but Hawaii
…any of the HealthCare Reform bills under consideration will have “death panels”
…or that Sarah Palin is qualified for any elective office above dog-catcher
was already clinical.
And mantis, thanks for that posting. First I'd heard of it, but it makes perfect sense. It's also why I was furious at Arianna Huffington when she was pushing her “say no to pollsters” nonsense last year. Nothing like doing the opposition's work for them.

greylox
Comment posted November 19, 2009 @ 5:48 pm

**Republicans have decided that the only way to save face is to charge democrats with every horrible thing that the Bush administration actually did. They KNOW that Obama won. The KNOW that we need health care reform. They KNOW that it was really the Bush administration that destroyed our economy. They just can't man up. They're a silly, ignorant bunch, but we enjoy laughing at them.

punditwatcher
Comment posted November 19, 2009 @ 5:56 pm

I'm a little late to the game on this one, but if you reduced Obama's vote totals by 10%, he'd have still won the election by more than 2.5 million votes.

In the Electoral College, he'd have still won 291-247. It would have flipped Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, and Indiana, and NE-2 in McCain's favor — but not Virginia, New Mexico, or Nevada.

michaelheister
Comment posted November 19, 2009 @ 6:07 pm

If the Democrats were well-enough organized to steal an election, do you really think they'd have any problem passing single-payer health care reform? As it is, they can barely keep the wheels on the track for a watered-down public option.

Will Rogers said, “I'm not a member of any organized political party. I'm a Democrat.” Still true today.

debinoregon
Comment posted November 19, 2009 @ 6:34 pm

Of course it was stolen. How else would the Republicans lose? Their ideology is the majority (yeah, right) and we have been taken over the DC elite. Everything is rigged or manipulated by the media elite if it goes against their wishes. It's also true Bush's 2000 win was legitimate, even though the state in question (Florida) happened to have his brother as governor. The Republicans have become so delusion it's time for them to implode and start all over.

Adeel
Comment posted November 19, 2009 @ 6:40 pm

Nine percent of Democrats and 18% of independents think that ACORN stole the election? Not just anybody, but ACORN? Isn't this just as worrying, if not more?

RPinNV
Comment posted November 19, 2009 @ 7:12 pm

I can't trust Sue Lowden on bit. Review the devastation that she caused to her own party at the 2008 Republican State Convention:

Lowsy Lowden
Comment posted November 19, 2009 @ 7:36 pm

“Would it have made a difference?” asked Nevada Republican Party Chairwoman Sue Lowden. “No, none of our races were that close.”

its ur fault Sue Lowden becuz u were the laziest chairman Nevada ever had. Ur a RINO anyway I will never vote 4 u.

whistlerblue
Comment posted November 19, 2009 @ 7:39 pm

Silly people… ACORN didn't steal the election. I did. It was tough, but I spent Election Day 2008 personally submitting several million false votes, one by one, in key districts all across the country. I've not tried to hide it; in fact, I've told my story to every political reporter for every media outlet in the MSM, but every single one of them covers it up because of their conspiratorial liberal bias and their membership in a secret religious cult that worships Barack Obama and hates Jesus.

You may think this is improbable or even physically impossible, but that doesn't matter. My story fits with the persecution complex of modern day conservatives, so I expect the opportunity to present my story prominently on Fox News any day now.

(To make this more appealing to conservatives, I have also filmed myself giving bad legal advice to myself as I pretended to be a pimp and a whore and Saddam Hussein, who escaped death and took his hidden WMD program in France. I also have footage of myself protesting in Washington DC, where a million of me voiced my objections to the socialist takeover of our country).

sammy
Comment posted November 19, 2009 @ 8:13 pm

Actually, it wasn't ACORN who stole the election for Obama. It was the International Communist Conspiracy. Actually, the International Muslim Communist Conspiracy. This is confusing, because it used to be the International Jewish Communist Conspiracy.
And how were they able to perpetrate this evil? Because we don't all pray to Jesus in public schools.
Yesirree – let's make sure public school students have to pray to Jesus, homosexuals are denied equal rights, and we keep those brown skinned Mexicans out – then everything will be OK and we'll get back to electing morally upright true Americans like Bush, Cheney, Palin, Nixon, etc.

Re:Generator Magazine » Blog Archive » This Day in “Duh”
Pingback posted November 20, 2009 @ 11:17 am

[...] It’s important to understand how much of a bogeyman ACORN has become to a majority of the GOP. An imperfect organization that has made mistakes that should have been avoided, ACORN is nevertheless not so well-connected or capable that it could have stolen the election in 2008, a conspiracy theory that a fulsome (in more than one sense of the word) 52 percent of Republicans have internalized after forgetting their cable packages have any channel o…. [...]

Jennifer
Comment posted November 20, 2009 @ 10:56 pm

I am a longtime toiler in grassroots organizations like ACORN. Oh, how I wish any of them had the power to steal an election! What a joke. Yeah, everyone, be very afraid of the nonprofit trying to register poor African-Americans to vote. THEY'RE the source of all your problems! Not Goldman Sachs and their puppets in Congress and (I regret to say) administrations of both parties. Sigh.

Palin's Dildo
Comment posted November 23, 2009 @ 4:48 am

Sarah is so busy, she has no time for me.

scythia
Comment posted November 30, 2009 @ 5:05 am

9%? Really? Question this.

toptwome
Comment posted December 2, 2009 @ 9:17 pm

Yes, these brainless republican followers get their lies from Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, republican talk radio, and all the hateful lies in e-mails from the corrupt republican party. These are people who will believe all the lies thrown at Democrats, President Obama and any and all of the wonderful good that Democrats will be doing for the public. It is so pathetic that they are so delusional.

monkey99
Comment posted December 13, 2009 @ 4:37 pm

The right has little to complain about here, what with the redistricting they're known for in the south for quite a while, now. But if that's not the case, the same things were said of the 2000 and 04 elections, as well, except in this case, proof was proffered, and verified.
While I don't prescribe to the “stole the election” type of thinking, nobody has, or probably never will sufficiently explain why the threat level was raised shortly before the election cycle in 04', even though by some, there was no cause to do so.
It's not even clear what the Repubs want, anymore, they whine about every insignificant event as much as any others, but present nothing as an alternative, lest they happen to be stupid enough to want to go back on the same path that almost screwed this country into the ground.

monkey99