Thune Urges End of TARP as Part of Unemployment Benefits Extension

Monday, November 02, 2009 at 5:07 pm

In a few moments, the Senate will hold a procedural vote setting the stage for final passage of legislation extending unemployment insurance benefits. Leading up to the vote, Republicans are taking every opportunity to blast the Democrats for not allowing votes on all of their amendments.

Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) just took to the floor in wonder that his proposal to end the Wall Street bailout won’t be considered. The” natural inclination” of the Senate, Thune said, “is to allow amendments to be considered.”

Sen. Mike Johanns (R-Neb.) followed with criticisms that his provision to fund the unemployment insurance extension using unspent stimulus money has likewise been ignored.

No matter. Democratic leaders have already determined that the bill will contain only two unrelated add-ons: a homebuyers tax credit and a provision allowing businesses to turn losses into tax credits.

Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.), chairman of the Finance Committee, argued that the Republicans have simply been stalling while thousands of Americans lose their unemployment benefits. “We’ve got to get moving here,” Baucus said.

The vote is scheduled to begin shortly.

Comments

unemplyedinNY
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 5:17 pm

yes we do have to get moving here!!!

Tweets that mention Thune Urges End of TARP as Part of Unemployment Benefits Extension « The Washington Independent -- Topsy.com
Pingback posted November 2, 2009 @ 5:20 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by George Larson II and WashIndependent, TMC Member Feed. TMC Member Feed said: Wash. Independent: Thune Urges End of TARP as Part of Unemployment Benefits Extension: In a f.. http://bit.ly/y2ljj [...]

Conservative895
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 5:31 pm

I need my segway. Hurry up with the vote. I I I I I I I I

unemplyedinNY
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 5:38 pm

wow u really dont have anything better to do

karen1965
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 5:57 pm

You cannot be that stupid. Look I realize you are probably a congressional aide whose duties include taking it up the ass and swallowing but we don't want to be fucked by the Republicans. I respect your right to be a frustrated in the closet Hatch, Kyl and McConnell whore, but please maintain your dignity and stop being mad cause we don't share in your dick in ass nuts in mouth askewed view. Hey by the way are your mother and father, brother and sister. Yes it all makes sense.

By the way vote tomorrow for, whatever old white or black republican sugar daddy your oral skills and your right as an American, your demonic little heart desires. LOL And God Bless America

Sick and tired
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 6:04 pm

Ok….on with this vote. I cannot afford to sit here any longer with no hope for my future. I don't have a dime to my name any more. I am not able to find a job now that I have lost my vehicle due to not being able to any for it any longer. My unemployment benefits ran out two months ago. I am in dier need of this extension. I don't even have bus fare to ride the damn bus now. That's so bad.
I have no money to accomplish any thing. Thanks Giving is on it's way and I sit here pennyless.

Conservative895
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 6:08 pm

Another vixen that loves me. You should probably get a reality show and call it. Hunting for stallions. Let me know when you want to saddle me up for a ride. Yee Haw GOD BLESS AMERICA

greg
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 7:08 pm

I think your right Karen, that fool does sound like a little peter puffer. He has a lot of spare time to wrap his queer lips around all of congress. God bless the queers too.

Conservative895
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 7:21 pm

Well the vote was taken, 85 to 2. 14 to 20 more weeks of lazy dazy welfare entitlements. Enjoy it while it lasts. What ya gonna do when that runs out, file for welfare benefits. I think Greg needs to puff a peter. Got one for you. I'll bet daytime television rating increase as soon as the first check is released.

Who loves ya baby, Johnson

karen1965
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 7:39 pm

Another jackass that wants to be ridden. At least you know what you are. As for a reality show on a serious nonconfrontational note, this reality I am living right now keeps me busy enough. Because despite whatever you believe not all of us are happy to be on unemployment. To feel like I have worked since I was 21 and now at 44 I am waiting for my government to say you can pay your rent or feed your children soon. It is demoralizing. I don't watch tv, the only electronic appliance I run is my computer and that is to job hunt and track the news. So while this may be fun and games to you some of us AMERICANS are really hurting.

Now back to the insults. LOL

karen1965
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 7:41 pm

LOL

thune
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 7:43 pm

Conservative895,

It is quite apparent that you have extraordinary amount of extra time on your hands. I may speculate that your redneck ass JUST figured out how to get online or you lost your goat that you spent so much time sodomizing. Either way…CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You just made my point about Republicans.

suefio131
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 7:47 pm

Great News another 20 weeks of $604.00. The soaps are great in November it's Sweeps Month. Thanks loser.

Conservative895
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 8:07 pm

I'm thinking of investing my share in a segway with big fat tires. Bet you would like to ride on my shoulders sunshine. At this rate, I will have a harem. Suefio, Karen, Rosa, vagal. I could bring my naked twister game over. Oh sorry, I left you out Greggie

uberVU - social comments
Trackback posted November 2, 2009 @ 8:37 pm

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by TWI_news: Thune Urges End of TARP as Part of Unemployment Benefits Extension http://bit.ly/1DpDaa...

shininglight
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 8:59 pm

The fact that anyone believes that anyone else would choose to live on unemployment, because it is such an easy and rich free ride, shows how ignorant they are, and that they've never had to suffer the unfortunate fate of being unable to find a job. The fact that conservative moron895 thinks that we're making $604 a week, again PROVES his ignorance, and also show how much money he makes! I'm certain that he has a very nice fat cat postition somewhere that affords him to snub and wrongly judge those less fortunate. I'm guessing like most conservatives, he does this all why swearing to be a good christian, and support good family values. ROFLMAO What a hypocrite. Read those Bibles you thump Republicans, or if you're too lazy look it up on bible.com for crying out loud, find out what God thinks of the rich, and how they ought to treat the poor. Find out what your chances of getting into heaven are if you let your brothers and sisters of God go hungry! For once in your lives, practice what you love to preach when it serves your agenda by living it! Don't kill babies, abortion is murder, but killing poor people by starving them, or the working class by eliminating jobs, then giving their tax dollars to your rich buddies to divide up, and then cut off their unemployment crumbs you toss from your rich tables, so that they all starve and go homeless, then shame them and ridicule and judge them, because killing poor people (bonus if they happen to be minorities or women) is perfectly OK with these misguided souls. That's not murder at all, God condones the GOP and it's agenda, forget what the Bible says. Conservative and friends, you better hope and pray that the Bible is more like your twisted version for the sake of your eternal soul. You better hope that what it says about the rich and the poor, and loving people, and especially the part where it says Judge not lest ye be judged, and about being judged 10X more harshly than you judge your brother is all a pack of dirty lies, because if not, I think you guys are in some serious doodoo! You better hope that God is not the God of love and Mercy, but instead the God of the judgmental stingy rich white men, for your sake. Personally, I hope that you have to live a life of suffering equal to that of any man you judge. You don't know any of the people on unemployment personally, yet you're so eager to call them names and assume they are all deadbeats, ignoring the fact that big business has screwed them all, and that the rich in this country have made their money on the backs of the poor they now ridicule and try to punish. May God treat you all with the exact same amount of empathy, mercy, compassion, and genorousity that you have decided to treat your fellow, financially challenged and less fortunate brothers of God. I wonder what you will say when you are called before your king and he asks you “What did you do when your brother was hungry?” “What did you do when your brother was thirsty?” and you have to answer.

Ps. 140:12. I know that the LORD will maintain the cause of the afflicted, and justice for the poor.

Deut. 15:7. If there is a poor man among you, one of your brothers, in any of the towns of the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand to your poor brother; but you shall freely open your hand to him, and generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks.

Lev. 19:19ff. Now when you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap to the very corners of your field, neither shall you gather the gleanings of your harvest. Nor shall you glean your vineyard, nor shall you gather the fallen fruit of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the needy and for the stranger. I am the LORD your God.

Luke 3:11. And [John the Baptist] would answer and say to them, “Let the man with two tunics share with him who has none, and let him who has food do likewise.”

There are around 300 verses in the bible about how you should treat those less fortunate financially than you, apparently conservative 895 should really get to reading! Maybe they'll learn something! I'm thinking that to have that many verses on a subject, God is probably really trying to get his point across, and maybe you just ought to think about listening on that before it's too late for your soul.

olds73
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 11:02 pm

still telling GOP lies i see. i still have a johnson in my pants.

olds73
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 11:07 pm

thats hunting for stallions not gelding. so your out.

thune
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 11:48 pm

I may need a microscope to see that johnson. LOL

outofajob
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 11:53 pm

Well, one more hurdle gone…lets cross our fingers and hope that the house does the same really soon…Maybe its a bit early, but i am looking forward to paying my mortgage…and breathing a sigh of relief!
If this passes the house….any ideas how long from there to Pres. Obama? and then for this to get funded and deposited in the states fund? Anyone with info, it would be really appreciated.

U.S.Citizen
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 12:46 am

Hey shininglight, this ” want a be” conservative (895) is no conservative at all. I know him (his type), Begging for attention, (a lot like a little 2 year old) that does not feel noticed. He is unemployed more then likely. Would not be able to hold a job “if “he could get one. Never been able to qualify for benefits much less an extionsion. Likes to express his jelousy, rage, anger, and tantrums on his parents keyboerd.He likes to drink a lot in hopes of ditching lifes reality. Keeps his crack pipe on hand for when things really get out of hand and has no other means of dealing with him them. I know, that we are all a caring bunch, and I believe we should all send up prayers for him, so that the lost may be found. I would even be willing to donate money toward a counceling program for him, but he first has to realise that he needs help. Please pray for him as I have, and god bless, Thanks for your input and concern, we need more of it. : ) .

U.S.Citizen
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 12:54 am

You are being prayed for, hang in there my friend. and try looking upwards. There is hope for everyone, even someone like you. I am so glade you can recieve forgivness. Thats free too. I hope some day you can become a real conservative. Best wishes : ) .

Conservative895
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 1:40 am

It's amazing the attention I have been getting for being controversial. You people are really no better than I am. If you all were really adults, you would'nt be feeding my opinions with such hostility. Blame all the polititions, Republican, Democrat, Independant, Conservative. The House and Senate can dick around with any old bill, at the mercy of us taxpayers. Is the unemployment extension, health care really going to make any long term difference. I wonder. This Country is asleep again, just like before 911. Some terrorists are licking their chops, plotting and planning, while were all worried about unemployment and health care. I'm sorry for creating such controversial opinions on the backs of the true unemployed that really need help. I just want every us citizen to wake up and realize that this government is not looking out for uuuu. 20 weeks, make it last and good luck to every person that needs this money to help their families.
I guess I will be an asshole and say, Hugs, Johnson, Go Gop

U.S.Citizen
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 2:45 am

Let me be the first to praise you for a different tone and additude.Now your starting to sound more like a conservative, or at least like the rest of us . Welcome aboard ! :) And I am sure there are those out here that do deserve what they have worked for, a safty net, not just a free intitlement. We do give our goverment a lot We do pay for their saleries and big benefits. They do owe us something, after all it is all of our money paid in to begin with. You have a terrific day, and god bless america and all who dwell here.

U.S.Citizen
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 2:55 am

Does anybody know if this extension will be retroactive ? I am sure there are a lot of people who fell way behind and could use the past weeks to catch up before the hollidays. Everyone out there have a great thanksgiving, christmas and a happy new year. and may the good Lords blessings fall upon you all : ) .

jimyugly
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 6:51 am

the democrats suck!! this bunch of idiots are the most physically irresponsible bunch I've seen in a long time!

olds73
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 7:03 am

and it's still larger then your brain. LOL

olds73
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 7:07 am

now you want to hug my johnson.

TruePatriot76
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 9:58 am

Everywhere I look, I see illegals working American jobs. Many of the jobs would be available to U.S. citizens if eVerify was enacted. I am certainly not a racist, but come on, how about giving Americans jobs in America. Why would the Dems not consider this?? Do they not realize how many U.S. jobs are filled by illegals? Or do they simply not care?? Everyone wants to blame the Repubs, but they are actually trying to create more jobs for Americans, not just put a bandaid on the situation that will have everyone back on forums screaming and yelling about “Give us more money!!!!” If you really want someone to blame, blame all the companies that outsource services to India, China, etc. Microsoft, Adobe, pretty much any big business you can name. All the other companies that don't provide services import goods from other countries to give us cheaper goods, and now, due to the lack of hiring in the U.S., we can't even afford them and they are crying for money from the government. Ultimately, we have no one to blame but ourselves. Boycott the companies that import goods and export services. Support the hell out of companies that hire and manufacture locally. We can rebuild the economy ourselves this way, in the same way we destroyed it. I too hope they pass this extension soon, I know you guys need it and I am all for it. Let's just spend it where it counts the quarter. I'm just sayin, it's simple economics…..economic leakages with no injectiolns = major fail of U.S. economy. Support no one who hires illegals, outsources, or manufactures in other countries, and things will turn around.

Kate
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 11:19 am

I'm sorry to say, my understanding is that the benefits will NOT be retroactive. You should check your state's website, after the bill finally passes, to find out what they will be doing for those whose benefits recently expired.

Good Luck!

jbarnes7777
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 12:09 pm

We are not looking at the big picture here ! That can be addressed separately.
We needed this passed weeks ago. Every day means more homeless and hungry families. The delays are inexcusable and the republicans WILL PAY a heavy price at the next elections! Take it to the bailed-out bank !!!

jbarnes7777
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 12:15 pm

OK Larry Craig. Say hi to Mark Foley and Gov Sanford.

thune
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 12:38 pm

That's just an assumption that keeps you folks afloat. Since there is nothing else…

shirleymcleod
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 4:16 pm

MORE JOBS!!!!! Is definitely the answer. Maybe we should be insisting that all of the bail out $$$ (granted initially by the Repubs) should come from the countries where the jobs have gone. WHY are the taxes that WE have paid being used to continue big Bonuses for the execs of the companies which have off-shored our jobs! I absolutely agree these companies and banks should be BOYCOTTED! And our congress should be notified that we are fully aware of the mess they have allowed. I also don't completely disagree with the e-verify question. However, the REPUBS shouldn't be tying that vote to the extension.e. They are USING THIS BILL to RAILROAD their own agenda through, and THEY KNOW IT. They also know that the PEOPLE need this extension, and THEY ARE HOLDING IT UP by attaching another issue which should be voted on by virtue of its own merits- It's a SNEAKY, SELF-SERVING ploy to try to divert attention away from their own responsibility for this whole mess!!!
SHAME ON THEM!!!

shirleymcleod
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 4:28 pm

Wells Said, Shining Light- Now let's all copy this and send to the 2 Senators who voted no to the last vote!!!
FILL THEIR MAILBOXES!!!!

shirleymcleod
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 4:46 pm

SORRY – You are so ignorant, you don't deserve a response. But you do know who you are “UGLY” INSIDE AND OUT!!

Conservative895
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 5:39 pm

You wouldn't happen to have a big red plunger with a long handle and a bell that says democrat on it. I really wish you could come over and plung out my golden throne. My harp string also broke, got any of your golden dental floss I can use. Oopsie boopsie, Al Frankin just came on, got to go. Tunic Johnson

shirleymcleod
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 9:16 pm

SHAME ON THEM!!!

The two who voted against cloture are Bond (R) MO & DEMINT (R) SC- won't hurt to let Jon Kyl & Mitch McConnell know how you feel, either!!! FILL THOSE E-MAIL BOXES- Let them KNOW WE ARE OUT HERE, and we know who THEY ARE!!!

shirleymcleod
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 9:28 pm

FILL THEIR MAILBOXES!!!!

shirleymcleod
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 9:46 pm

Jimyugly

Conservative895
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 10:39 pm

You wouldn't happen to have a big red plunger with a long handle and a bell that says democrat on it. I really wish you could come over and plung out my golden throne. My harp string also broke, got any golden dental floss I can use. Oopsie boopsie, Al Frankin just came on, got to go. Tunic Johnson P.S. Shininglight, you need to change your batteries holy roller.

Kentucky Senator Jim Bunning Holding To His Guns « A Conservative Wanderer
Pingback posted March 2, 2010 @ 5:10 pm

[...] Statist Democrats in U.S. Congress continue to paint Bunning as the bad guy.  Why use money that is not being used anyway?  Why are the Democrats not willing to use unspent stimulus for unemployment?  Why are they so insistent on further burdening the American people with more debt?  Are the statist Democrats really that concerned about the plight of the unemployed or are they hypocritically looking out for their own self-interests [Article - Thune Urges End of TARP as Part of Unemployment Benefits Extension]? [...]