Kyl in No Real Hurry to Extend Unemployment Benefits

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Moments ago, Sen. Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.) took to the chamber floor with a strange claim about the urgency surrounding legislation to extend unemployment insurance.

“The benefits haven’t run out yet,” Kyl said. “We’re going to pass this before the benefits run out.”

It’s tough to decipher exactly what he means. Roughly 400,000 folks exhausted their federal unemployment benefits in September, with another 200,000 projected to do the same by the end of October, according to a recent study by the National Employment Law Project, an advocacy group. By the end of the year, NELP estimates that 1.3 million Americans will have exhausted their benefits unless Congress steps in with an extension. Each day the Senate dallies, another 7,000 people go off the rolls.

The crisis is due most simply to a dearth of available jobs in a down economy. But there are also regional factors. State-based unemployment benefits normally run for 26 weeks, but the federal government has stepped in during the recession with several extensions pegged to the severity of a state’s jobless rate. That disparate federal intervention — combined with the vastly different management of state unemployment programs — has created a patchwork of different benefit systems across the country. And as ProPublica has pointed out, some states have managed the chaos much better than others.

Kyl claimed that Democrats are to blame for stalling legislation to extend unemployment benefits because party leaders are resisting consideration of several unrelated GOP amendments.

“We could have been done with this bill 24 hours ago,” Kyl said. “We didn’t ask for the delay.”

But Republicans also don’t seem to be in much of a hurry. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) said the slow pace of the Senate is a blessing of design, shielding the country from de Tocqueville’s feared “tyranny of the majority.”

“Unlimited debate. Unlimited amendment,” Alexander said. “There’s no need for the United States Senate if we don’t have that. … This is the body that protects the minority view.”

Earlier in the day, Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) offered his own theory about why some lawmakers seem content to crawl toward passage of the unemployment benefits extension: they’ve simply been sheltered from the crisis.

“Not very many of our colleagues really know any unemployed workers,” Brown said. “We don’t spend our time with people who are really suffering.”

Comments

Tweets that mention Kyl in No Real Hurry to Extend Unemployment Benefits « The Washington Independent -- Topsy.com
Pingback posted October 28, 2009 @ 5:57 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Spud Roberts, Frank Cook. Frank Cook said: Kyl in No Real Hurry to Extend Unemployment Benefits http://bit.ly/a7Uni [...]

Matt
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 4:59 pm

Sen Kyl has again show that he does not have the interests of Arizona workers and unemployed workers nor any unemployed worker's welfare interests at heart.

He has earned my disgust and contempt. And his reward will be my undying efforts to see that he NEVER gets reelected to the Senate or any elected office ever again.

MK
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 5:04 pm

THe republicans jackasses are so put of touch with the reality of being unemployed. SERIOUSLY! Vote these old, ignorant elitist dinosaurs out of
office ASAP!

This nonsense is way too much to comprehend! I am saddened for all of us and for this country!

karen1965
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 5:27 pm

I for one am not surprised that Kyl made this statement. The inaction of the Senate already told me they don't care about Americans. Look we need to stop complaining and act. I for one cannot afford to go to Washington but if I could I would be there. If you live in an area in Washington and you can afford to get to the Capitol, I implore you to gather people and go, protest, be heard. I am in Pennsylvania and have been without benefits for almost 2 months. I received my eviction papers Monday and have ried and prayed every day. But I realize crying and praying is not working what will work is drastic action. If we unite and remind these people who are rich off of our tax dollars that come time for them to be reelected we will be there, maybe we will get some results. I have started a grassroots website: people4people on weebly.com. I am looking for suggestions and help in letting our government know that we the people are tired of being treated like crap.

If you have any suggestions please contact me at karen.mccutchen@yahoo.com
I pray for each of us that someone will help us. I also want to encourage evryone to keep seeking employment. I know that it is hard right now but maybe if you can connect with the right people you can find something.

Also consider getting a few people together and pooling whatever resources you have to overcome this financial crisis.

I am trying to get enough money together to get a hot dog stand or sell socks or anything. LOL

God Bless

Lizaki
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 5:51 pm

Shame on ALL Republicans for causing so much suffering to uneployed Americans and our families. Trust us, you Republicans…it will be another 20 yaears before you see the White House again.

And at the State level…start packing your bags NOW!

You will pay dearly for your criminal actions against the American people. Yes, your delaying of this lifeline of income extension is a criminal act against innocent Americans who lost their jobs by no fault of their own.

get the f…out of washington republican as—oles!!!

Pingback posted October 28, 2009 @ 6:52 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by wealthbuilder62, networkmaven53. networkmaven53 said: Kyl in No Real Hurry to Extend Unemployment Benefits http://bit.ly/11XCUc [...]

CC1963
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 6:13 pm

VOTE THE DUMB A***S OUT WE SURE CAN LIVE WITHOUT THEM.AND I WISH THEY WOULD GO UNEMPLOYED AND NO MONEY COMING IN FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND SEE HOW IT IS.AND I MEAN NO MONEY MAKE IT TO WHERE THEY CANT TOUCH THEIR BANK ACCOUNTS,STOCKS BONDS,ETC,AND SEE HOW THEY WOULD LIKE DEPENDING ON PEOPLE LIKE THEIR SELF TO VOTE FOR THEM TO GET UNEMPLOYMENT.THE AMERICAN PEOPLE NEEDS TO STAND UP AND VOTE THEM OUT OF OFFICE

dreaming
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 6:40 pm

I'm like the guy below from Philadelphia, I too have been without for about two months, and each day I wonder, what will I use for transportation should a job call me for an interview way out in King of Prussia. Or even the Northeast. I knew one day I'd be in the unemployed shoes, so glad that I'm not like the republicans who look down on others and turn the other way…but to tell the truth they do make some sense, very little that is….why don't they just vote and get that part out the way, why dose'nt the Pres obama step up, put his foot down and be the father of this country and tell them to give us our money. we voted for Obama, we voted for change, so To Obama, change it, don't let congress or legislators keep making the decisions, Your answer should be the final answer, Change that, lets see Obama change that…lol…where it will no longer matter what they say, it's what he says…then maybe the working middle class, well all tax payers will not have to pay as much, or pay them just to make decisions for us when times like this happens…what can they do if Obama goes live on air and say, unemployment benifits begins now….what can both parties do…I think Obama needs to be a little more aggresive and say you voted for me, so you voted for change…so here it is….and be live in front of millions…what can they do,,,what can they say if he do that, when he has the people for his back up…it is then we become congress, we become legislators….because when Obama said it live, and congress tries to take it away,,,thats when the marches and protest begins,,,so it is us who needs to make the decision,,,but it is Obama who must SAY change has come.

dreaming
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 7:11 pm

Back again after doing some thinking, Unemployment is rising and keeps rising,,is this a plan,,or somthing,,,when times get tuff, people do what they have to do to make ends meet. which includes selling drugs and robbing people, even robbing stores and such, well is this a plan, is this what congress wants to happen in order to employ more police. in order to keep the court houses operating….to keep taxes on the rise, in order to fill their pockets. I see this eveyday, now, on the corners, and say to myself, thats congress on the corner, congress needs the poor, without the poor how can they sneak out and buy the little girl or boy, who was not selling themselves before, now at hard times they out there…How can they go get that tree, see they need the poor, if they give into unemployment, that little girl or boy might not be on the corner no more,,,maybe that dope boy might go get a job…because now his pops gives him gas money. That little girl might start looking for a job, now that she see that unemployment can help her if she lose her job. I wonder, too about this stimulus pack,,,who dose it really help…why is there not a pack as to help people open up small businesses, so that they can hire, and then unemployment can drop…A stimulus pack should go severly to the unemployed who have worked and showed faith in their employment, the pack should include large amounts to start a small business, be it daycare or realestate…I'm sure a person who has worked for years, has a good sense of business, I know people that hang on corners and sale, and these people will work,,,I see them in clubs and bars and yes they do ask for work,,and the reason for where they are is because they not going to spend the whole day depressed and down,,,so that is the only way they think to have a little fun. should a pack open up for the unemployed, I would fully take advantage of it,,and hire and take people off the corners that i know did work and screening others to see if they will stick around after the first check I give them, I believe they will, I've done it before, and they did stick around and they did do excellent work…my business will never fail, it's the person working for your business that can only fail themselves…But thats just dreaming,,,,for a change,,,,CONGRESS REALLY NEED THE POOR, SO IT IS MAKING THEM.

disillusioned with our govt
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 7:19 pm

Try calling or emailing the Republican national Committee
Maybe if they receive enough people telling them the GOP has lost their vote at least it will make a statement, rather than to individuals.

Email info@gop.com phone 2028638500 fax 202 863 8820

also google Michael Steele I think he is still there but I do not follow the GOP.He has his own page on facebook as does gop.

disillusioned with our govt
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 7:19 pm

Try calling or emailing the Republican national Committee

Email info@gop.com phone 2028638500 fax 202 863 8820

thewhisper
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 7:32 pm

I sit and wonder what these Senator's are going to say when they stand in front of the Lord, (and each and everyone of them will have to do this on their own, with out the benefit of standing together) and explain to him why they chose to be so uncompassionate to the people who gave them there trust and loyalty. The people who chose them to stand up for righousness and to protect the intergity of the American people. Will the conversation be, Yes God, I thought that letting people starve, lose their homes and live on the streets with their children was much more important than to lend them a hand when we had such amendments to debate (even though they had nothing to do with the situation being discussed). In fact, I thought is was much better to take all their taxes and give it to all the big companies, so they would not fail and continue to be able to give hugh bonus's to their employee's. I would like to be a fly on the wall, just to see them before the Lord, and give the explainations that they have been giving throughout this month.

Sam
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 7:50 pm

All I have to say is ” What a shame!”. I never realized that we live in some kind of a third world country where most politicians care about nothing but themselves, once they are in office, they forget who put them there.
Some might say we are lazy, if they extend the benefits, we will not be as anxious to find a job? what a logic! would someone who makes $700 a week give it up for $250? That shows you the type of sympathy hard working people get when they are in a jam. Lost my job after 21 years with the same employer. will not give up, and I hope you will not either. May be there is a lesson to be learned from all this, or more than just one:
* Be thankful
* Be optemestic
* Don't give up
Think next time when there is election, do your homework and remember, your vote will decide your fate.
Best of luck to all. God Bless

bldblu
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 7:55 pm

Nowhere in this country right now is something affecting almost a million people daily,but yet there are only a few media outlets covering this bill to extend benefits.

I know there are alot of issues with our economy,but your own state answers rather matter of factly “we dont anything about the extension,good bye now”
this is a major story going on right now as we speak,and only a few news outlet even bring it up,,I have watched cspan,cnn,fox,and nothing no updates.Im sure they are done for the day,but somebody could update the 600,000 people that are looking for some hope

god bless

mj23424
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 8:05 pm

I went from six figures to $405 a week and half of that goes right to my ex wife for child support. I made almost 6 times more per week when I was working. I find it funny when people tell me I want to be on unemployment. I just love not going on vacations, having child support issues and losing my place to live.

MK
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 8:50 pm

Kyl needs to get a grip on reality! I am truly embarrassed for this country with these kinds of idiots in office. Maybe he is trying to take w. bush's place at the top of the moron list …

This really is a travesty. I seriously hope his constituents remember his stupidity at reelection time.

MK
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 8:52 pm

Oh, one more thing. I think his fact checker sucks! Way to go kyl! Keep funding these wasteful wars, but don't help the working class. IDIOT!!!!!

brhill11
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 8:55 pm

I would laugh if it wasn't so sad. Kyl is so unbelievably obtuse it amazes me that he was elected for anything. Who are these people? What planet are they from? Sorry, but I just had to vent on such ignorance — Kyl and Alexander apparently come from some otherworldly place. The clock is ticking down on this issue and it will be eventually it will passed. Can't wait until the vote is over so I can go back to ignoring the words of these vacuous politicians. The good people of the great states of AZ and TN have my enduring and heartfelt sympathy.

bldblu
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 9:21 pm

So,Whats going on with reids midnight vote threat?

or is it just Empty?

dave47
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 11:15 pm

john kyl showed us all today what kind of a man he is, he stood in front of all of us americans and lied about having time to pass his amendments, saying that the unemployment has not run out and that they have time to do it, lets get real here i have been out of benifits for 5 weeks and i know that there are more of you out there that have been without longer, were all hurting and need this extension,hey john, this bill is the emergency unemployment extension.if your neighbors house was on fire would you call the fire department, or go get the hot dogs out of the fridge john? well i think alot of us know what you would do!!!!!!!!!

bldblu
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 11:30 pm

Where is Mr lillis update as what is the main problem with this,and the amendments.The last 4 days there was updates about the session,,but none tonight,,Is harry reid enforcing the vote at midnight,or are the Dems giving in to the Repubs.

Why isnt there more media coverage on this issue,,it is affecting almost 600,000 people on a daily basis,and fox,cnn,cspan dont even mention it.Please explain why this is not a national concern.If you google this,,there are several sites that mentioned it,but from weeks ago.Mike has been doing a good job,,but what happened today?

god bless

bldblu
Comment posted October 29, 2009 @ 12:01 am

CNN.com does not even mention this on their website,,go to the top 20 political stories,and the 600,000 people unemployed not even mentioned.Sorry people,but we are fighting an uphill battle with this,there is no way without the media even covering this,that it gets done this week,,too many amendments in the way ACORN,and allocation options

god bless all

karen1965
Comment posted October 29, 2009 @ 12:24 am

Hi again, just left the website for Kyl and surprise surprise not a word about unemployment on his page. I read these blogs and make somments trying to keep my sanity. I try to remeber that somewhere, someone is worse off than me. I try not to think about the November court date I have for eviction. I try not to think. How did we et here America:

One year and a half ago, I had a house and car, money in the bank, health insurance, a 401k, cd's, furniture, jewelry, a few tv's a pretty decent credit.
Today everything gone, everything. I couldn't afford my home so I moved to an apartment, I couldn't afford gas and car insurance and car paments so I turned it in. I have always lived within my means. 1 child who is 22 now, a moderate home with nice but affordable furnishings. I did not abuse credit cards if I wanted a new television I saved the money then brought it. What have I done wrong.

I would feel better if I could blame it on my race or gender even my age, but I can't. I am so sick of hurting. I have lost everything. I had to put my things in storage when this first started going downhill and i lost everything because I have not been able to pay the storage bill so they sold it. My grandsons pics, my HS yearbook everything.

What do I do? Where do I go? How?

I worked one and at one point two jobs since I was 21 years old. I paid taxes on every job. I followed the rules America laid down. Well no more, no more.

I can't even afford to kill myself because I had to let my life insurance policy go.

WOW. The drug dealers and prostitutes must laugh loud and hard at the law abiding, tax paying citizen.

KYL is a Moron...
Comment posted October 29, 2009 @ 1:04 am

KYL is a MORON…

This nitwit must be living in another country.
We are about to experience an economic tsunami that will wake up Washington from the deep sleep they are in. Health care will and mock wars will be low priority as this recession turns into a depression.
its the economy stupid – i mean KYL.
JOBS JOBS JOBS wake up Washington!!!!!!!

tim
Comment posted October 29, 2009 @ 2:34 pm

KYL does not care about the middle class and if this were tax cuts for the rich he would have okayed it long ago because they line his pockets with gifts. How does this guy sleep at night. He has no soul.

melodyk
Comment posted October 29, 2009 @ 4:30 pm

Excuse me, people are not out of benefits. I beg to differ and so does my family, as we have lived for almost a month now with no benefits. This is crazy. You are going to starve families out. Pass the darn thing already.

curtis
Comment posted October 29, 2009 @ 4:32 pm

hey KYL mine ran ou 8 weeks ago

curtis
Comment posted October 29, 2009 @ 4:43 pm

Senator Kyl says the benefits have not run out yet call him and tell him when yours ran out

KYL's senate office number is 202-224-4521

Brittanicus
Comment posted October 29, 2009 @ 9:49 pm

As I perceive it the hardest place to install E-Verify, 287 G, or even directing ICE to raid employers is Sanctuary Cities and even States? CALIFORNIA seems to be the epitome of Sanctuary States, but it is estimated to be 127 cities and towns that ignore the US government. San Francisco and Los Angeles stands out as being Sanctuary cities where it's mayors Galvin Newsom and Antonio R. Villaraigosa, along with an compliment of police departments who have cultivated over the years a refuge for the impoverished illegal immigrants, illegal criminal of other countries. Very few businesses have enforced E-Verify, because at this time there is no mandatory law, except for federal contractors/subcontractors. Sen. Sessions has at this time been the fortress against illegal immigration through the Bush and now President Obama administrations. He is determined to adjoin E-Verify as a permanent amendment to the Senate Unemployment benefit extension bill H.R.3548 for 14 weeks. In the same amendment Sen. Sessions would require new applicants for unemployment compensation to have their citizenship status verified using E-Verify. The computer software program E-Verify could also be used for identifying applicants for drivers licenses, automotive insurance, all health care benefits, real estate purchases and mortgage and of course ineligible workers. Even the Public option if enacted in health care could be used to verify all positive recipients and over time become a very sophisticated matrix of data bases to reject ineligible applicants for government benefits.

Senate leaders are currently negotiating which amendments will be considered for the bill, and Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) is trying to prevent a vote on the amendment altogether. E-Verify is becoming a significant potent weapon against illegal immigration in the ongoing battle. It has come under constant legal bombardment by a long list of open border organizations, including the US chamber of Commerce. E-Verify however remains intact, although other enforcement tools such as 287 G, has been weakened by Homeland Security chief Janet Napolitano. Without millions of dollars being appropriated, E-Verify on a continuous basis can eradicate illegal labor for pennies. No need for mass deportation as E-Verify will streamline removal of foreign nationals, owing to parasite businesses will be in incessant fear of being fined or sentenced to a prison term if apprehended by ICE for using illegal workers. As with 2010 census? Those who entered without–THE PEOPLE'S–permission, have violated our laws, and should not, must not be allowed to be enumerated in the decennial census? Is Washington so sure that they will pass this 2nd Amnesty, when Ted Kennedy previous comprehensive immigration reform turned into fraudulent travesty?

Ordinary American workers have become watchdogs for suspicious activity in the working environment. My blogs, comments and articles are limited in information, but keep this issue under public scrutiny. For more details of malevolent politicians who need to be constantly reminded who they work for? For immigration enforcement grading NUMBERSUSA. To light a fire under nonchalant politicians who are selling American workers futures to highest bidder contact WASHINGTON at 202-224-3121 As easily as you voted for these people, you can vote them OUT? Demand NO–MORE–AMNESTIES. Rebuild a two-tier Southern border fence as originally intended. TELL THEM YOU WANT PERMANENT E-VERIFY FOR EVERY WORKER, WHO’S ON A PAYROLL. STAND WITH SEN. SESSIONS. Study the corruption in every level of government at JUDICIAL WATCH. Read about unstoppable OVERPOPULATION GROWTH at CAPSWEB. Read lists of legislators are trying to push through another path to citizenship–alias AMNESTY at http://tinyurl.com/CIR-letter-to-POTUS. THESE CONGRESSMAN/ WOMEN WANT TO STEAL YOUR JOB AND GIVE IT TO ILLEGAL ALIENS? KEEP THEM EMBOSSED IN YOUR MEMORY AND UNSEAT THEM WHEN THEY COME FORWARD FOR RE-ELECTION.

tana
Comment posted October 31, 2009 @ 12:55 pm

I just read there have been no exhaustion in texas as of sept 2009. see link http://dpc.senate.gov/dpcdoc.cfm?doc_name=lb-11… my benefits were exhausted as of july 25. i am so angry

penneyhubbard
Comment posted October 31, 2009 @ 1:49 pm

I hope Kyl's supporters vote him out of office! How can he stand in the way of such an important extension of unemployment benefits of the Senate's Reid/Baucas humane action. Maybe Kyl needs to find out what it is like to be close to losing your house and figuring out whether to pay for food or medicine while you hang on for dear life hoping that the extension will give the “true” job seekers a life-line. Go talk to your fellow Senator John McCain, Kyl, at least he is intelligent enough to understand.

nancycorbin
Comment posted November 10, 2009 @ 7:58 am

Kyl your a jurk and will pay for this next election,

John
Comment posted November 22, 2009 @ 5:31 pm

I am glad to see that their is a senator that knows something about economics. Unemployment benefits are very bad. They discourage people from finding or making another job for themselves. Unemployment tax rises when more people are drawing the benefit. This causes employers to stop hiring or fire even more employees. This creates an endless spiral of unemployed workers. Unless the unemployed have a health issue they need to get off their lazy arse and start being productive, if not they can live in a box and beg for food.

John