Senate Advances Bill Extending Unemployment Benefits

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 6:36 pm

The Senate on Tuesday moved a step closer to passing a 14-week, nationwide extension of unemployment benefits, clearing a procedural hurdle that will bring the bill to the chamber floor.

The vote count was 87 to 13 — well beyond the 60 yeas required to proceed to the floor debate.

The proposal had been held up for almost three weeks as party leaders wrangled over a series of controversial GOP amendments, including one to defund ACORN and another to keep illegal immigrants from entering the job market.

Democrats have argued that the Republican amendments are unrelated to the underlying bill. Three times in recent weeks, party leaders have asked for GOP consent to pass the legislation unanimously, only to be rebuffed by Republicans on each occasion.

Meanwhile, unemployment numbers continue to rise. Nationwide, the unemployment rate hit 9.8 percent in September, according to the Labor Department — the highest level since 1983. “It isn’t just the Democrats who are out of work,” Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Ill.) said before Tuesday’s vote. “This is a time for bipartisanship.”

The Senate bill would extend unemployment insurance by 14 weeks nationwide, while tacking on an additional six weeks in those states where jobless rates have topped 8.5 percent. The House last month passed a less generous bill, extending unemployment benefits for 13 weeks, but only in high-unemployment states.

Comments

tana
Comment posted October 27, 2009 @ 7:00 pm

what now ? how much longer

vote independent
Comment posted October 27, 2009 @ 7:31 pm

Lets get this thing passed tomorrow…

vote independent
Comment posted October 27, 2009 @ 7:36 pm

tana,
Tomorrow is the vote that counts,if passed it will be law,the it has to get ok from house because its different(better) then the houses version that was passed in sept. then to Obama to sign…
Lets get that bill passed and to his desk by friday to sign…
C-span2 after 9:30 am sometime the vote will be on! but they said this vote today was suppose to be at 2pm and it didn't take place until 5:30-6pm!

tana
Comment posted October 27, 2009 @ 9:06 pm

thank you for answering, I am almost drowning. Is it true it will not be retroactive? God bless you all. I have been praying for all of us. If the version had passed in September we definately would have been left out at 8%, now we are 8.2% and climbing. I know the struggles you all are facing, If not for God I would be without my car, home, utilities, food, etc. i haven't had a payment since August 3rd… I have truly seen the hand of God upon me, for I have no one except the Lord God himself and a landlady I have known only 5 months… I WILL PRAISE HIM

tana
Comment posted October 27, 2009 @ 9:39 pm

Do you know if this is an “up to” 14 or 20 weeks or a straight 14 or 20 weeks. I don't know if you guys are aware that if it is an “up to'' bill, not everyone get that many weeks. Only a percentage of them? thank you, tana

tana
Comment posted October 27, 2009 @ 9:39 pm

tana
Comment posted October 27, 2009 @ 9:39 pm

tana
Comment posted October 27, 2009 @ 9:39 pm

tana
Comment posted October 27, 2009 @ 9:39 pm

bldblu
Comment posted October 27, 2009 @ 10:38 pm

tana, what do you mean by this statement

“Do you know if this is an “up to” 14 or 20 weeks or a straight 14 or 20 weeks. I don't know if you guys are aware that if it is an “up to'' bill, not everyone get that many weeks. Only a percentage of them? thank you, “

thanks to anyone that knows the answer,my unemployment was up sep2,,so does that mean i would only qualify for 7 weeks,since mine ended 7 weeks ago,,im confused by this

thanks again

uberVU - social comments
Trackback posted October 27, 2009 @ 11:55 pm

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by geolarson2: RT @TWI_news: Senate Advances Bill Extending Unemployment Benefits http://bit.ly/2kgolA...

dannyb1
Comment posted October 27, 2009 @ 11:34 pm

Does anyone know when we will be recieving our 1st check ???

Tweets that mention Senate Advances Bill Extending Unemployment Benefits « The Washington Independent -- Topsy.com
Pingback posted October 28, 2009 @ 3:04 am

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by George Larson II, Ellen Luning and Paul M. Secunda, TMC Member Feed. TMC Member Feed said: Wash. Independent: Senate Advances Bill Extending Unemployment Benefits: The Senate on Tuesda.. http://bit.ly/Hm94O [...]

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 8:48 am

If they agree to the proposed bill, States with 8.5% or higher will get 20 weeks and those under will get 14 weeks….unless the House of Reps. opposes it. if it does go into law the the Pres. needs to sign it. unless the House wants to stick to the previous 13 weeks for those States only over 8.5% and starts all over again…hope this helps…

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 8:51 am

when it gets passed the Pres. needs to sign it and then the funds need to be allocated to each state needing it…I hope they overnight the $$$…because this has gone way too long….

bldblu
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 11:22 am

georgewashington

thanks for the response,but that was my question

“My understanding as also in my case as long as you have “certified” for benefits every week even though you have not received. “

how can one certify for benefits each week,when you sign on to your UI acct,and it says your benefits are up,,there is nowhere to certify,its like im dropped from there computer system.My understanding is that even if you have used the full 79 weeks worth of extensions,as long as it was within this year,,you will still be eligible i guess

I called MN UI,and they were really quite rude,and said they have no idea of any extensions,which i understand that it is a federal deal,but MN being upset about some paperwork is really kind of sad,,afterall they have jobs

thank you if anyone knows about the certify thing

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 11:38 am

I am lucky to have a friend at my DOL…now but when I called the state office they were as rude as could be….I would love to her job I wont be rude

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 11:44 am

CSPAN IS TALKING ABOUT UI BENEFITS NOW 11:45 am EST 10/28/09

bldblu
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 11:47 am

Yeh,,I dont know whats going on anymore,,Minnesota DOL says there is nothing i can do on my acct since it has expired,except just wait,and see if the money eventually gets allocated,then the notices,then the waiting week,Wow absolutely no help or compassion from the customer service dept at MN DOL.Like i said before,,they have a job,so why care about the other 15 million that dont

thanks

bldblu
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 11:47 am

thanks

bldblu
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 11:48 am

Please let us know if any updates,,I dont have Cable

thanks

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 11:58 am

Senator Stabenow (D) Michigan is pushing it as of right now….what I see is the Repubes are trying to screw the administration up because they dont know how to play fair…

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 12:05 pm

One other thing we should have cpan channels on network TV without making people have to pay for cable to see it…luckily I still have cable for now ….and electricity and heat and Ramen Noodles

tana
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 12:11 pm

I mean that every time they give 13 weeks, i get 6 weeks.

tana
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 12:11 pm

I mean that every time they give 13 weeks, i get 6 weeks.

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 12:11 pm

Senator Melendez (D) New Jersey is pushing it as of right now

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 12:19 pm

One thing to remember the Unemp. % only counts those who are on UI

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 12:33 pm

Lunchtime 12:30pm-2:15 est

bldblu
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 12:35 pm

gimmeajob,

thx for the updates,but what do you mean by?

“One thing to remember the Unemp. % only counts those who are on UI

thanks again

suefio131
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 12:43 pm

What a job! Almost 2 hours for lunch, and who do you think picks up the tab?

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 1:00 pm

The Unemployment % is based on those receiving benefits those that have exhausted are not counted….

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 1:24 pm

I apologize they are back talking on the healthcare option…I am for it but if the Govt is backing “I DUNNO” they cant run the govt correct now….

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 1:25 pm

On EMP issue now

MDshak
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 2:14 pm

I was watching C-SPAN, and I heard the OH Senator say that this bill would not cover those that have exhusted the UI. Has anybody heard the same or different? I think that would be terriable being they have taken 3 weeks to get to the floor.

MDshak
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 2:16 pm

My last was regarding the Unemployment extension bill

bldblu
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 2:28 pm

MDshak

Thats what the bill is all about,,is extending the benefits for those that have exhausted theeir unemployment,,,I thought anyways,,now Im really confused. Is there anybody on here that knows whats up?

MDshak
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 2:31 pm

I justed emailed my Senators office so hopefully he can shine a light

bldblu
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 2:33 pm

according to the AP,,the bill will provide 14 wks to low unemployment states,and 20 wks to higher states,as long as you have exhausted your UI before dec/2009

Im not sure though,,im not an expert on this

MDshak
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

That what I thought then I heard the OH senator repeat himself that it would'nt, but that makes little since.

dave47
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 3:07 pm

hey john kyl i just heard you lie on c span 2 you said we have time to pass these amendments because unemployment has not run out yet,eb has run out for thousands scumbag

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 3:18 pm

I heard the same thing but I was told a different story by my DOL rep….I thought it was for all who exhausted and soon to be exhausted….I am approaching anxiety now….

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 3:28 pm

Here is a link to H.R 1348 bill from septmber House of Reps

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 3:56 pm

The important Paragraph:…hope this helps everyone…they need tp pass it and figure where the $$ comes from later…

`(1) IN GENERAL- If, at the time that the amount added to an individual's account under subsection (c)(1) (hereinafter `additional emergency unemployment compensation' ) is exhausted or at any time thereafter, such individual's State is in an extended benefit period (as determined under paragraph (2)), such account shall be further augmented by an amount (hereinafter `further additional emergency unemployment compensation' ) equal to the lesser of–

MDshak
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 3:57 pm

Is the Senate bill exclude UI to those individuals that have exhusted the funds. Did anyone see the OH senator that said all those that have exhusted funds would not be able to recieve UI benefits. Confusing

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 4:30 pm

watching the senate not and the repubes are not fighting the UI Benefits but want to include other bill …..under the rug so-to speak

MDshak
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 4:50 pm

The OH senator is a D, thats why he was so passionate about passing the bill because of the 7,000 people per day that would lose compensation coverage. I think we need to hit up Jack with CNN with emails regarding this, otherwise we may be lost in the crack.

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 4:59 pm

Senator Nelson (D) Florida is talking about Rockets (trying to create an example of the umemp. issue) what does that have to do with the present issue? I can imagine what the Senate's look on their faces is…WTF…I think he took too much many Meds. today….

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 5:56 pm

I am watching cspan2 now and I am for affordable healtcare but if we dont have the $$ we will not be able to afford affordable healthcare…just my $.02…get to the present issue…dang it…pardon my southern slang ..Im a damn yankee at heart

MDshak
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 6:01 pm

Is our government supporting Joe and Jane? Lets give some direction to the government thru voter participation>

vote independent
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 6:40 pm

I said kyl did vote yes to move the bill along, but also lets see what he does when the actual vote comes along, from his speech today on cspan2 hes still pushing ammendments,and I bet he votes no when the finnally get to vote!
His little yes vote didn't mean shit to me..
14wks for all 50 states and 6 additional weeks for states with an average unemployment rate of at least 8.5% for at least 3 mnths in a row.
I heard ohio rep also state if your benes are exhausted you wouldnt be eligable.
mybe in ohio?? Its suppose to apply to all!
they have been jumping all around on cspan2 all day..WTF they said they were going to vote on it today..6:38pm and still no vote….
after watching all day the dems are the only ones pushing it now…repubs talked about health care…

Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 9:17 pm

Dont lose sleep over this but I have not slept in 72 hrs…here is a link to the latest… wtf has the publc option on healthcare have to do with the millions of of Americans looking to keep their homes, car and with christmas coming I guess Thanksgiving is a wash…the healthcare option is an end debate anyways lets pray for the passage of the UI bill ….and all the the nay sayers I hope you make it to Heaven…I will be there and I will be able to pick you out….and you will go down like a kamikazze

katie711
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 10:36 pm

I just heard on my local news that it is for all those who EXHAUSTED all their benefits. So that being said what I am worried about is. Those who have exhausted their benefits, were they ( me ) suppose to keep filing each week once our benefits were up? Im going to the unemployment office tomorrow to find out exactly what is up. If I find anything out I will be happy to share with all. Chin up folks we'll be ok. ( GOD WILLING )

NancyAnne
Comment posted October 28, 2009 @ 11:16 pm

I'm really trying to get this, but it seems they're making it more complicated than it is.

bushwacker
Comment posted October 29, 2009 @ 8:32 am

i cant belive this we have no money ,no jobs,no food and these people of our goverment are trying to attach things that mean shit.think about it if we sent home all those whom thier visa expired that would give us more jobs housing and a chance to survive.you want to be part of this country u come legally and follow thru with ur paper work,just like most of our anceisters.ny doesnt care about the american born people cause unless u committ 1 of the 7 crimes u dont get deproted.imagine losing ur job because of a illegal person whom still works for the company that u got the job for and they know she is illegall and put her on payroll as a self employed person how the hell r u self employed when ur visa ran out 3yrs ago.

dannyb1
Comment posted October 29, 2009 @ 11:53 am

Will we ever know if this gets passed this week ????????

Comment posted October 29, 2009 @ 1:18 pm

http://www.cspan.org…..check it out

taxpayerforlife
Comment posted October 29, 2009 @ 3:27 pm

everyone Go to the newer blog upper left link on this page….

“Senate Advances Bill Extending Unemployment Benefits”

and look at the other links up there for the latest info

outofajob
Comment posted October 29, 2009 @ 4:04 pm

does anybody have any other up to date information..i know that the senate was to resume this morning at 9:30 to get this bill passed but i cannot find out anything..i thought that there was going to be a vote last night at 12:30 If they couldnt come to an agreement yesterday during regular session? I cannot find anything out and i have been searching everywhere.

curtis
Comment posted October 29, 2009 @ 4:44 pm

Senator Kyl says the benefits have not run out yet call him and tell him when yours ran out

KYL's senate office number is 202-224-4521

okiefever1974
Comment posted October 31, 2009 @ 2:16 pm

mabey when its time for reelection i will not vote and just put i am still deciding until the time is rite i have little faith rite now with the gov we need this extention its a terrable time of yr anyway the holidays always brings depression especially for those without family or money and suacide rates go up an im sure if they dont pass the extention they will see alot more crime an murders people trying to get christmas gifts for their children i admit i am poor

okiefever1974
Comment posted October 31, 2009 @ 2:20 pm

PLEASE GOD help us poor folk get this extention its tough and its getting tougher im sure the gov will have a big fancy thanksgiving dinner and a present for everyone on christmas morning what do we tell our kids of congress sent santa away this yr to help build another rocket to send to space

Anonymous
Comment posted October 31, 2009 @ 9:35 pm

tana pleas keep hanging on to the lord he will have the final say .GOD Bless

gink22
Comment posted October 31, 2009 @ 5:25 pm

The Only thing I can Fegure out about is their must be a get rich skeam in it for somebody in politics

CountryCarl
Comment posted October 31, 2009 @ 11:19 pm

At least we are not eating horses, not that we ever would, thank God. I'm Country Carl the Artist and Advocate for additional unemployment benefits on Unemployment-Gone-Mad dot com. In town the pawn shops are the only ones mining gold. These New Depression Blues times can drag a good man to the bottle. As we wait for an unemployment extension, thousands more become dumpster divers, tent pitchers and street corner beggars. Even pets are becoming a burden for tearful owners and freaking out when they become abandon.

lgreen
Comment posted November 2, 2009 @ 5:17 pm

LATEST UPDATED! TODAY 11/2/09

Esquared2009
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 8:50 am

lgreen

That is a good link and I am for the healthcare option. I spent out of my own pocket $100 to get my blood pressure checked and have some prescriptions written that help keep me alive. I really dont think the Government can run themselves how will they run Healthcare. Why do they call it a Doctor's Practice because they are always practicing and some people are unlucky enough to be the laboratory rat. I feel they need to fix medicare and make every practitioner
accept medicare. I had to go to the hospital “a state run facility due to a heart attack it was $834 just to walk in and then they added respiratory services which never occurred, that is what is wrong with healthcare now. If they can do it and keep the checks and balance in order I am all for it.

Esquared2009
Comment posted November 3, 2009 @ 8:53 am

Then dont go to McDonalds

BTW I saw your depression blues video and as a fellow songwriter I think it as an inspiration

donaldpasley
Comment posted November 4, 2009 @ 8:33 am

I am one of the many who have exhausted their benefits, and I saw on c-span how the republicans have not only held up the amendment but how they're holding all legislation hostage. Americans need the extensions to provide the neccessities for their families. Whether food, bills, or car-payments or something to help pay for their mortgage, but wew the people need the unemployment, it's no job, but it's something. And something is better than nothing.

trace1000
Comment posted November 4, 2009 @ 8:38 am

They are probably hoping we lose our homes and cars so then more homes will be available and more used cars sold that are repossed then they can the economy is on an upswing.

E PLURIBUS UNUM

donaldpasley
Comment posted November 4, 2009 @ 8:50 am

naw, I doubt that, they wanna paint a picture that democrats are
slow-witted. We all know how much democrats and republicans alike have agendas. But
for the american people, our agendas are about survival and maintaining.
People who work jobs whether part-time or full-time and pay taxes need, and
deserve the benefits, Republicans like Mitch mcConnell (R) KY, and others have
decided to freeze us out while they plot and plan how to kill Health-care
reform, The process is for them to see 2010 as their oppourtunity to claim back
majority, and to drag down President Obama.

trace1000
Comment posted November 4, 2009 @ 8:55 am

I watched Obama say yesterday we have developed more manufacturing jobs in the US. Where?

iwantyourjob
Comment posted November 11, 2009 @ 4:00 pm

Just found out that since I exhausted my benefits on Sept 19, I will not be paid for those weeks from then to November 6th. That means my landlord will now start the eviction process.

Thanks for considering my situation when you drafted this bill. How many others are in the same boat and were waiting for the back payments?

Nice work.

trace1000
Comment posted November 11, 2009 @ 6:26 pm

iwantyourjob:

There was no retroactive except beginning the day it was signed, in my state the first week I can claim is week ending 11 14 09 but it will be retro back till the 14th of Nov whenever it does come. just keep certifying each week and you will be paid for the weekendings you missed and not to be a bubble burster but as it stands if you are in a state that was going to get 20 weeks dont count on the extra 6 unless they revise it again 14 weeks is tier 3 and 6 weeks is tier 4 but you cant get tier 4 unless you exhaust tier 3 before 12 31 09 which wont happen thanks to our senators, they are talking about working on extending it for the extra 6 weeks and there is some talk of a tier 5. It makes nosense that they dragged it out except to fool us into thinking we would get 20 weeks in the higher 8.5 % states

check out the new blog at:

See you there

there is some info there. at least they could have lubed us up before they tried to screw us

“The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer”

billnancy
Comment posted December 18, 2009 @ 10:34 am

i just called unemployment office i have one more check left in my tier2 benifits they told me since i havent exhausted all mt benifits by the 26th that i was shit out of luck but she said they might pass somthing that will extend my benifits but it has to pass senate does any body know anything

trace1000
Comment posted December 18, 2009 @ 11:40 am

It will be going to the Senate floor first thing in Jan. but if it is anything like this last extension you can be sure the “PARTY OF NO” reublicans will anything they can to delay it

billnancy
Comment posted December 18, 2009 @ 3:34 pm

trace1000
Comment posted December 18, 2009 @ 4:40 pm

It will be going to the Senate floor first thing in Jan. but if it is anything like this last extension you can be sure the “PARTY OF NO” reublicans will do anything they can to delay it

Dan
Comment posted June 13, 2010 @ 1:33 am

The free money should have run out along time ago. At least 1/2 the people could be working but would rather have the free money and COBRA insurance and not have to work for it. People its uemployment benefits not welfare or a retirement program.

louis vuitton bag
Comment posted July 6, 2010 @ 7:13 am

Peteneat
Comment posted July 20, 2010 @ 7:20 pm

you are an idiot. there are no jobs to be had. 5 people applying for one job. you do the math and tell me we do not need this

discount louis vuitton
Comment posted August 4, 2010 @ 6:44 am

get it passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we all might need it as the unemployment rate raising like this!

dactjalkelt