Michael Zak Makes Good

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 8:55 am

Zachary Roth has a short write-up on Michael Zak, the amateur historian who wrote the “Heroes” section of the new GOP.com, which focuses to a confusing degree on obscure 19th century black Republicans. Zak’s involvement with the site was no secret — he is credited at the bottom of the biography pages — but I’m impressed that he got the job. Anyone who’s covered Republican National Committee events in D.C. has probably met Zak. I first encountered him at the Jan. 5 debate between RNC chairman candidates, when Zak buttonholed me to pass on a business card and hold forth on the GOP’s long history of racial progress. I gave him my business card; soon, I started getting emails like this.

Picture 59

Picture 57

Picture 58

This is, in Republican circles, fairly uncontroversial stuff. Liberals don’t take it very seriously — the racist Southern wing of the party started seriously jumping ship in 1964, after the passage of the Civil Rights Act, and “the party of Barack Obama used to be racist” is not that compelling a message to black voters. But Zak, who is not shy about handing over a business card and talking about his qualifications, managed to convince the RNC that he was the man to make this case on the party’s Website.

Another Zak email, illustrative of the “Democrats are the real racists” line:

Picture 60

Picture 62

Comments

nolo
Comment posted October 15, 2009 @ 2:05 pm

Aside from anything else, he should be shot for using that font . . .

Name
Comment posted October 15, 2009 @ 3:00 pm

I saw a piece of his arguing that Democrats shifted the focus of their racism during the Civil Rights Era, from Jim Crow to the welfare state, which he believes to cause poverty as a way to sustain itself.

It was a pretty deft maneuver.

strangely_enough
Comment posted October 15, 2009 @ 3:39 pm

Well, when you leave aside the fact that the Dixiecrats felt the rest of the party, right up to Truman, were turncoats, targeted moderate (read non-racist) Dems in the south, and that whole Souther Strategy thing, well, yeah, I guess it does make sense…

Johnny S
Comment posted October 15, 2009 @ 9:08 pm

That's Soul Brother Michael Zack, please.

Zak Is Back | GSA Schedule Services
Pingback posted October 16, 2009 @ 10:24 am

[...] man who wrote the new GOP.com’s 19th century-centric “Heroes” page has issued a new email blast [...]

Proivasek
Comment posted July 17, 2010 @ 7:00 pm

When Johnson and the Democrats passed the Civil Rights Act in 1964 and the Voting Rights act a year later, was when the vast majority of segregationists left the Democratic party and were welcomed by the Republicans as part of the Nixon “Southern Strategy” to win the South, and the Presidency, in 1968. (Nixon hired Roger AIles, now head of Fox News, to develop a media campaign to convince whites that THEY were the true victims of racism.)

Gave Him The Business | More More Pics