Mike Pence: House GOP Might Have Some Health Care Defectors

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 at 11:59 am

At a breakfast sponsored by the American Spectator, I asked Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.), the House Republican Conference chairman what I thought would be a yes or no question: Would all Republican members of the House vote against the eventual, Democratic-sponsored health care bill? Pence spent nine minutes talking about Republican ideas.

“I think you will see overwhelming Republican opposition,” said Pence. “Will it be unanimous? I defer you to the whip’s office.” I asked again about the suggestion that the Republicans might, possibly, not vote unanimously against a Democratic health care bill as they voted against the stimulus package and the president’s budget.

“You should anticipate overwhelming Republican opposition to government-run health insurance,” said Pence. “I didn’t say ‘possibly not’ unanimous. We’ll leave ‘unanimous’ to the other [leadership] offices.”

At issue here is a very small number of Republicans. But any number of Republican votes for a health care bill could be pivotal; each one gives an endangered or Blue Dog Democrat room to vote no.

Check out our Senate Public Option Scoreboard here. You can follow TWI on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

The Obama Whitehouse » House GOP Might Have Some Health Care Defectors
Pingback posted September 16, 2009 @ 1:37 pm

[...] The Washington Independent » Mike Pence: House GOP Might Have Some Health Care Defectors [...]

rad21
Comment posted September 16, 2009 @ 7:36 pm

From what has been reported, there are no suggestions of how to reduce the cost of healthcare. I do hope Congressional deliberations in committee; and in reconciliation between the two chambers will produce a workable bill. This would achieve access to affordable and quality healthcare and reduce cost. If this does not succeed, here is another alternative process.
Appoint a non-political expert panel. The ideas are all there. There is nothing new to this. There are a lot of good healthcare models in the USA that can be implemented; if the pressure groups are blunted.
Step 1: Get the politicians out of the way; and specially those receiving campaign contributions from healthcare groups.
Step 2. Like base closures, the recommendations of an expert panel should be an up-or down vote in Congress.
Step 3. the Fed govt is empowered with rules regulations and Congress may pass further laws if needed to fine tune the system if and when needed.

Healthcare reform is like base-closure. There are a ton of interest groups and millions of dollars of campaign money floating. This makes everybody an expert; thanks to 24-hour news outlet sites; that are more interested in sloganeering (pulling the plug on grandma … death panels … Obamacare, etc.) than in educating the stakeholders about cost-effective healthcare.

seever
Comment posted September 16, 2009 @ 7:19 pm

I live in Mike Pence's hometown. I've never heard him say anything of substance. I think he must spend the most of his time standing around looking like another Rob B. If we must have a republican from this district, I wish for goodness sakes the people would give us a candidate with a brain. Mike Pence just tries to stay out of any controversy so he can run for Senator Lugar's office and then the presidency. God help us all!

tcatherine
Comment posted September 16, 2009 @ 7:32 pm

I'm not from Pence's district but I have come to know him since President Obama was elected and I would work my tail off to keep him from Lugar's job.

TruBlu
Comment posted September 16, 2009 @ 8:50 pm

I currently LIVE in his district (47304 zip code) and I can tell ya, Mike Pence is a tool of the first order. Not answering questions is a specialty. He has benefited mightily from a district with subservient media. The loathsome Indianapolis Star and the smaller surrounding newspapers print whatever he says without questioning a word. It's pathetic. And I don't understand why. There are any number of people (Republican or Democrat) in the district who are TWENTY times smarter and would be THIRTY times better. But industry is dead here, there is NO middleclass to speak of, and therefore he has no real opposition.

peterlarkin
Comment posted September 16, 2009 @ 10:06 pm

Pence spent nine MINUTES talking about Republican ideas???
Are you sure you don't mean nine SECONDS?

conniemoneta
Comment posted September 17, 2009 @ 12:47 am

THE MEDIA IS HELPING TO KILL THE PUBLIC OPTION BECAUSE THEY ARE BOUGHT AND PAID FOR JUST LIKE CONGRESS BY THE INSURANCE COMPANIES.
VERY FEW VOICES SPEAKING THE MERITS OF PUBLIC OPTION, STICKING TO HOW MUCH IT WOULD COST AND GOD FORBID HURT THE PROFITS OF THE INSURANCE COMPANIES.

nana4gj
Comment posted September 17, 2009 @ 12:49 am

Who is surprised? I certainly hope Congress and the Administration is not serious about trying to include them in this or any effort. That is why we sent a majority to DC.

Hubkal
Comment posted September 17, 2009 @ 12:53 am

I think this is the begining of the spin. I think the thought might be “act like some GOP may vote for it to take the stress of the blue dogs”…in the end it will be partisan.

maheanuu
Comment posted September 17, 2009 @ 1:53 am

Any endangered Blue Dog Dem should be road kill, period! If they want to be Rethuglican Lite then don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out… We pretty much got rid of our trash in Oregon, Hooley was road kill in the last election, she was so dead that she didn't even run… Thanks Darlene for giving us all the great crap like Credit Card Debt, the New Bankruptcy Law and other and sundry Repig spit lickings you left on your way out.. I only hope that your K street job pays you a little better than being a DC hooker

Just this old Chief's 2 cents

HitNMyths
Comment posted September 17, 2009 @ 3:59 am

And therein lies the legislative answer for healthcare.Real Healthcare with a PO and everything.
House Republicans have paper thin margins in liberal districts too. Some must make the calculation that their district favors it; reelection may hinge on such a high profile stand. When the House version passes with 4-7 reptilican votes listen for any Senate hints about republican input and getting what we asked. Two R's will roll when it looks ready to pass the Senate. Theirs still a chance to roll over one more time. There'll be a reconciliation bill I think

HitNMyths
Comment posted September 17, 2009 @ 4:12 am

And since Reptilicans are always smaller and sillier and slightly ridiculous these will be known
as Repub Purple Puppies

pleasechange
Comment posted September 17, 2009 @ 4:40 am

It's such a give-away to their cooperate friends, I'll bet they are breathing like dogs over the Baucus plan. They'll say no, no, no…when they really mean yes, yes, yes. They'll make a big stink and say “we won't.” Then they'll start to come around because to them, it reallly isn't about Americans at all.

pleasechange
Comment posted September 17, 2009 @ 4:43 am

One can only dream ;-)

Nosmanic
Comment posted September 17, 2009 @ 5:56 am

So republicans have found a way to vote for a liberal bill and still be bad for democratics.

indianavoter
Comment posted September 17, 2009 @ 11:51 am

This Hoosier will certainly be out there campaigning for anyone running agains Mike Pence, this guy is not good for Indiana and we don't want him trying to fill Lugar's job.

Jerry
Comment posted August 12, 2010 @ 8:35 pm

I wish that someone in washington dc would have the man or woman hood to pay back the SOCIAL SECURITY that the goverment took for that fund and quit saying you are giving the senior citizens that you want to give them 250.00 dollars and then charge them for atax on the money. I would just like for you and all of the members of the house and senate to be replaced if you can not figure this out. My NAME IS L. JERRY LEE from GREENSBURG,IN. 47240