Meg Whitman: Van Jones Is ‘Doing a Marvelous Job’

Thursday, September 03, 2009 at 1:22 pm

There’s a guy over in Oakland, I think his name is Van Jones. And he and I were on a cruise last summer in the Arctic, on climate change. And I got to know him very well. And a lot of the work he’s doing to enfranchise broader communities I’m a big fan of. He’s doing a marvelous job… I’m a huge fan of his. He is very bright, very articulate, very passionate. I think he is exactly right.

The political problem here? Whitman is a wealthy Republican trying to win the GOP gubernatorial nomination from conservative candidates Steve Poizner and Tom Campbell, both with stronger ties to the party’s base. And here she is, on video, proclaiming her friendship for the current Emmanuel Goldstein of the conservative movement.

You can follow TWI on Twitter and Facebook.

Categories & Tags: | | | | | | | |

Comments

yarrrr
Comment posted September 3, 2009 @ 5:25 pm

She met him on a cruise… big whoop…

panola
Comment posted September 3, 2009 @ 6:39 pm

Even more ridiculous is when Van Jones said:

“We're really entering a third wave of environmentalism in the United States. The white polluters and the white environmentalists are essentially steering poison into the people of color communities.”

Does anyone really believe that white people are intentionally poisoning minorities? Why does he have special advisors out there openly attempting to create an even bigger racial divide with hate and lies?

strangely_enough
Comment posted September 3, 2009 @ 8:08 pm

Ever been to Richmond, CA?

That environmentally hazardous facilities and materials are disproportionately cited in economically poor communities is not a controversial statement (think NIMBY). That so many of those communities are composed of non whites is equally uncontroversial.

Trying to ascribe a motive, and your use of “intentionally,” only distracts from the actual subject.

And, Whitman is running for gov of CA, so she doesn't have the luxury of an electorate that will buy any and all manner of paranoid, delusional nonsense.

bigchesse
Comment posted September 3, 2009 @ 9:15 pm

Liberals (Democrats) or people that wjhere dumb enough to vote B.O. into office are to damn dumb to see what these elitist, socialist, communist, progressives are going to do to this country if we let them. Wake up America. You need to really read what Van Jones has said and what he wants to do…get informed.

Tweets that mention The Washington Independent » Meg Whitman: Van Jones Is ‘Doing a Marvelous Job’ -- Topsy.com
Pingback posted September 3, 2009 @ 10:55 pm

[...] this page was mentioned by JoEllen Pleines (@paulinerevere), Brett Jeffries (@brettjeffries), Carmen Britton (@carmib09), Sally Forth (@betseyross), JoEllen Pleines (@paulinerevere) and others. [...]

JDslamb
Comment posted September 3, 2009 @ 10:19 pm

Horrible camera angle too … LOL

marihollister
Comment posted September 3, 2009 @ 10:50 pm

Ms Whitman, We thought that you might be the correct candidate for Governor of our state, but alfter hearing you extoll the virtues of Van Jones, an avowed communist among other extreme positions, we will not be supporting you any longer. All we can do is hope that our country survives this president for a few more years, and the population gets smart enough to vote out the majority of the senate and congress.

sinclair27
Comment posted September 3, 2009 @ 11:13 pm

Come on, people. Big deal. I am sure she doesn't know of his racist, marxist leanings. She barely knows his name. She liked some of his environmental ideas. That's it. As far as supporting him or endorsing his anti-capitalist agenda? I don't think so. Meg Whitman's lived her whole life as a fiscal conservative and is the most pro-capitalist candidate among the bunch. She made a terrible mistake not checking out his whole history and agenda before chiming in. People make mistakes. Nobody is perfect. That doesn't negate all of her other positive attributes and her superior ability to challenge the dems than the other boring GOPers in the race.

jacasa
Comment posted September 4, 2009 @ 12:24 am

Van Jones is an idiot and now I believe Meg Whitman is as well.

valerie73
Comment posted September 4, 2009 @ 12:35 am

She didn't say she liked his commie sympathies, what she admired was his willingness to help the disenfranchised and his conservationist bent. There are many conservatives with a green slant http://www.rep.org/quotes.html and even the great civil rights leader MLK was a life-long Republican. The party of the big tent has always been at it's best when the more progressive leaders (Ike, Teddy R, etc.) were at the foreground. It's like the world has become one big example of the TS Elliot quote “Conservatism is too often the conservation of the wrong things: liberalism a relaxation of discipline; revolution a denial of the permanent things.” -

Is Your Freedom Real » Blog Archive » Controversial Obama Administration Official Denies Being Part of 9/11 “Truther” Movement, Apologizes for Past Comments
Pingback posted September 4, 2009 @ 1:37 am

[...] jobs, especially in poor communities. He has been praised from leaders ranging from Al Gore to former eBay CEO (and Republican) Meg Whitman, who in May said  that Jones is doing “a marvelous job… I’m a huge fan of his. He is very bright, very [...]

jwaiting
Comment posted September 4, 2009 @ 2:19 am

Hopefully most people can see what is happening in our country they can only do what nancy and harry and the rest of the gang let them do throw ALLof them out

AMR1960
Comment posted September 4, 2009 @ 4:19 am

Well another RINO that want's to be Gov…sorry but 'No' Ms Meg…I shall make it known to all I can you are a 'Fan' of a self-described Communist and Left-Wing Racist…

nocooperationwithlibtards
Comment posted September 4, 2009 @ 4:48 am

Meg Whitman's candidacy is not going to reach the reserve.. bye bye Van, bye bye Meg..you will each have plenty of time to go on more cruises since you two losers' political careers are toast.l you get flushed into the sewer with other libturds

Joe
Comment posted September 4, 2009 @ 5:46 am

“She met him on a cruise… big whoop…”

The patriotic thing would have been to him overboard.

rexksmith
Comment posted September 4, 2009 @ 5:50 am

Ms. Whitman.

Your praise for a racist, avowed communist, with no experience in managing an organization or business of any kind (Van Jones), much less a huge undefined federal environmental program indicates tha you are just another run of the mill politician with your finger in the wind. Clearly you are not what you are posing to be, but rather another corrupt special interest politico.

You can count on my opposition to your campain, and that my money will be funnelled against you.

Rex K Smith

Controversial Obama Administration Official Denies Being Part of 9/11 “Truther” Movement, Apologizes for Past Comments | Lux Libertas - Light and Liberty
Pingback posted September 4, 2009 @ 7:48 am

menloman
Comment posted September 4, 2009 @ 6:57 am

Bye bye Meg. That cruise sunk your campaign.

Whitman distances from Jones
Pingback posted September 4, 2009 @ 1:21 pm

[...] Whitman, running for Governor of California, had once said good things about Van [...]

We Got Truthers In High Places, Where The Whiskey Drowns And The Beer Chases « Around The Sphere
Pingback posted September 4, 2009 @ 1:31 pm

[...] David Weigel at The Washington Independent: A mysterious YouTube member named, conveniently, “megwhitmanonvanjones,” has uploaded a May 2009 San Francisco Chronicle video of 2010 GOP California gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman, in which the former CEO of eBay and former adviser to Mitt Romney and John McCain gushes about suddenly controversial green jobs czar Van Jones. [...]

Stupid Idiot
Comment posted September 4, 2009 @ 6:46 pm

Richmond opened in 1902. It's located for easy access to sizable oceangoing vessels.

Can I call this guy a dipshit? Is that allowable on this board? How about dumbass?

Stupid Idiot
Comment posted September 4, 2009 @ 6:56 pm

…and a warmer. I could almost forgive her being a fan of a self – described Communist, but not being a climate changer. Even a closet climate changer. That's non-negotiable.

The Washington Independent How Well Did Meg Whitman Know Van Jones? – CelebrityTwitterGossip.com
Pingback posted September 4, 2009 @ 11:54 pm

[...] May 2009 video of California gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman praising Van Jones, which was posted by TWI yesterday, has inspired a parody video from the campaign of California Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner. [...]

thunderone
Comment posted September 4, 2009 @ 11:00 pm

Let's see…. You left Stride Rite shoes as it was going down the tubes; politely asked to Leave FTD as it spiraled in the same direction and once again vacated… or basically were booted out of eBay as it began to plummet….. Like Charlie Wrangle, Barney Frank… maybe you can do for California…. what your track record and history shows

AMR1960
Comment posted September 4, 2009 @ 11:53 pm

…Indeed RINO Meg is the poster child for the trendy Nouveau Right that effortlessly sells-out on the Values and Traditions that are the bed-rock of this Republic, for acceptance and laudation, from the Media, they are a political HIV on the Conservative body politic…

Van Jones « Code Name: Jumper
Pingback posted September 6, 2009 @ 3:09 pm

[...] jobs, especially in poor communities. He has been praised from leaders ranging from Al Gore to former eBay CEO (and Republican) Meg Whitman, who in May said that Jones is doing “a marvelous job… I’m a huge fan of his. He is very bright, very [...]

beezwaxing
Comment posted September 7, 2009 @ 6:31 pm

Is it just me, or is anyone else questioning their sanity? This is just jawdropping, Utterly inexplicable to me. I feel like I'm in a movie watching the whole world losing their minds. A Republican praising this RACIST FREAK? MY GOD … I'M ONLY 54, IS THE WORLD COMING TO AN END BEFORE MY EYES?

bEEZ

jsl55
Comment posted October 3, 2009 @ 3:53 am

I am torn. Should I register as a Republicant so I can vote against this idiot Whitman in the 2010 primary? Or should I register as a Democrap so I can vote against the anti-Constitution communist Boxer in the primary? Maybe I can find some corrupt ACORN employee and register in both parties.

John Cocksure
Comment posted October 7, 2009 @ 5:41 am

Well, hey, this is a blessing. Unlike the Schwartzenloooser RINO, at least this time I know who I'm not voting for, and why. I'm soooo glad that her true colors were revealed, in her own words, before a single political ad was aired.

Only problem is, we still need a relevant conservative to head Kahlifornia and save us from the liberal stupidity and spending that has turned the seventh largest economy in the world into the biggest debtor state in the union. The current situation speaks for itself, don't you think?

Borrowing a template phrase from Ronald Reagan, “I didn't leave the Republican Party. The party left me.” I've thrown away (literally) my Re-pube-lickin' membership card, and am now an Independent conservative. But the fools keep sending me “final notice” letters saying that my membership is about to lapse. GO-O-O-D! I just keep writing “return to sender–refused” on the envelope and sending it back. What a hoot! One final note to the RINOs in the Republican Party: Thanks so much for becoming liberals and helping to bring about the demise of our once-great country.

NO_MORE_PROGRESSIVES
Comment posted February 17, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

I was really excited about Meg Whitman…going to vote for her with great pleasure. Until I read in the NEW YORK TIMES (no less) that she and Van Jones had a love affair of sorts. Sorry Meg…end of the line. NO MORE PROGRESSIVES!

NO_MORE_PROGRESSIVES
Comment posted February 17, 2010 @ 10:33 pm

Absolutely! Call him a dipshit, it's well deserved for not doing the homework; particularly on California State history when it comes to industry, and both legal and illegal immigration. Industrial centers come FIRST, then people move into the area for the JOBS industry creates. Always has been, and always will be that way.

And, call it paranoid, delusional, or whatever soothes your little liberal heart. I'll call it NOT VOTING FOR SOMEONE WITH TIES TO, AND AN APPRECIATION FOR A RACIST, COMMUNIST PIG!

uberVU - social comments
Trackback posted March 15, 2010 @ 7:50 pm

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by JamilSmith: RT @TWI_news: Meg Whitman: ‘I Love Van Jones’ http://bit.ly/12ponl...

Rosetta Stone
Comment posted October 13, 2010 @ 9:20 am

Unless you have ridden with and been protected

redcoyote7
Comment posted October 19, 2010 @ 4:22 pm

Campbell is/was no conservative. Please don't intertwine conservative with Republican.

Roni Pavlick
Comment posted September 6, 2011 @ 5:57 am

This was well written and informative =)

Dominica Goicoechea
Comment posted September 6, 2011 @ 7:24 am

Very inspiring, nice to know others are also interested in these things!

France Oganyan
Comment posted September 6, 2011 @ 8:10 am

Very interesting, helpful, and well written, thanks for sharing.

Sueann Weglarz
Comment posted September 6, 2011 @ 8:39 am

This is exactly what I needed, thank you.

Gilberte Thoma
Comment posted September 6, 2011 @ 10:18 am

This is exactly what I needed, thank you.

Isadora Miskovich
Comment posted September 6, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Very inspiring, nice to know others are also interested in these things!

Leda Uppinghouse
Comment posted September 6, 2011 @ 10:19 pm

I like your blog a lot, I just bookmarked it — thanks and keep it up.

Venetta Lann
Comment posted September 7, 2011 @ 12:14 am

I like your blog a lot, I just bookmarked it — thanks and keep it up.

Ardelia Ernest
Comment posted September 7, 2011 @ 1:18 am

This was interesting and helpful, thanks for sharing.

Rosanna Embery
Comment posted September 7, 2011 @ 2:26 am

This was well written and informative =)

Celestina Baffuto
Comment posted September 7, 2011 @ 4:17 am

This was well written and informative =)

Arlinda Higbie
Comment posted September 7, 2011 @ 5:53 am

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks for sharing.

Phoebe Tookes
Comment posted September 7, 2011 @ 6:43 am

Just leaving a quick comment to say I’m enjoying your blog…

Simona Reaume
Comment posted September 7, 2011 @ 11:48 am

This was well written and informative =)