Poll: George Allen Could Make Comeback in Virginia

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Public Policy Polling releases a fascinating survey of the Virginia electorate, one that gives former Sen. George Allen (R-Va.), defeated in a razor-thin 2006 re-election bid, a solid 50 percent approval rating, with 38 percent disapproving. Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.) is at 47-40.

The electorate is split on whether they’d vote for Allen again — 36 percent say definitely no, 31 percent say definitely yes. This is the finding that leaps out:

Picture 97

That’s right: A majority of Hispanics, and 40 percent of African-Americans, would either vote for Allen or consider doing so. That’s interesting for a number of reasons. In 2006, while the “Macaca” scandal dragged him to defeat, Allen actually won 15 percent of the African-American vote. (The Hispanic vote, while growing fast, was too small to calculate.) I’ve heard Democrats talk down Allen’s chances of a 2012 comeback by predicting that the high African-American turnout that would come with an Obama re-election campaign would, presumably, bring out plenty of Democratic voters who’ll back Jim Webb. But Allen’s image among African-Americans is, for a defeated Republican who called a dark-skinned Indian man an obscure word for “monkey,” not that bad.

You can follow TWI on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Poll: Virginians Want Racist Old Senator Back [Real America] | Newstion.com
Pingback posted September 2, 2009 @ 6:03 pm

[...] if this poll is any indication, Virginians have the shortest fucking memory in the country. 31% of Virginians would definitely [...]

jupitor
Comment posted September 3, 2009 @ 1:46 am

The way these polls are being played with, they are no longer reliable. Fox is putting questions just right to get what would be a totally different out come if the question was not twisted. Also, they are now picking by gender an party to twist polls now aday. As you read columist writting up their peace, you can pretty much tell what party now a day they belong to. There is nothing fair an Balanced or impartial of playing politics in article's written or the media. Even David Weigel had to take that one dig at the republican party with the “Monkey” an dark-skinned Indian thing that gave this writter away. It is sad this is all we are now offered as a way of reporting news, and information in this polerized times we live in.

grf67
Comment posted September 3, 2009 @ 9:58 am

Don't count on it. Allen is finished in Virginia.

The Return of George Allen
Pingback posted September 3, 2009 @ 11:16 am

[...] #’s suggest the former Senator is in good favor among [...]

wolverstone
Comment posted September 3, 2009 @ 1:51 pm

I find Mr. Weigel's inclusion of the factual statement that former Senator Allen called a dark-skinned Indian a “Macaca” entirely appropriate in context. He is pointing out that it is surprising that 40% of Virginia's African Americans might vote for someone who called a dark-skinned individual a term that is an obscure term for “Monkey.” We all know that racists have referred to “blacks” as apes or monkeys. I think you are making a leap, jupitor, to infer that Mr. Weigel is showing a partisan bias with his comment. He is simply exposing the irony of the polling result.

rskaz
Comment posted September 3, 2009 @ 2:45 pm

Racism, ignorance and violence is a volatile combination. Especially when the result it electing hate-mongering domestic terrorist supporters like Allen.

yvette
Comment posted September 3, 2009 @ 4:55 pm

They didn't poll me. I would never vote for him.

ags86
Comment posted September 3, 2009 @ 9:15 pm

I dunno.. I would love to agree that Allen is finished but there are places (aka my hometown) in Virgina that still voted for Gilmore. If they can forgive Gilmore, they'll forgive Allen. Ugh.

thesheriffsani
Comment posted September 3, 2009 @ 10:47 pm

He's tanned, he's rested, he's ready? All he needs now is a guest spot on 30 Rock going 'Sock it to me?'

Nick
Comment posted September 4, 2009 @ 2:45 am

I believe he can make a comeback. Virginians are waiting for him to come back. Don't count him out.

cigar444
Comment posted September 4, 2009 @ 7:13 pm

Interesting…. A politician who lost the election and is therefore no longer in office has an approval rating.
Only in Virginia! Makes me glad I live in Kalifornia!

johndeviney
Comment posted October 6, 2009 @ 3:30 pm

I believe he will be back, he is most likely biding his time and waiting for Jim Webb to be up for reelection in 2012 and with the tide turning against Obama and Senator Webb just being a go along to get along kind of guy Allen will be able to make a fresh impression & carry the day

MMN
Comment posted October 25, 2009 @ 7:58 pm

Obama haters always talking about the tide turning. They did it with Clinton. They did it with McCain. Just more proof that some people do vote based soley on ideology and never on the actual issues.

Brad
Comment posted October 30, 2009 @ 10:16 pm

How about Oliver North, who would have won the seat in 1994 as the Republican nominee had the Republicans not put up Marshall Coleman to run as an independent?

independentva
Comment posted November 17, 2009 @ 8:46 pm

Please stay in Kalifornia.

independentva
Comment posted November 18, 2009 @ 1:46 am

Please stay in Kalifornia.

Patty
Comment posted July 12, 2010 @ 6:27 pm

I was devastated when Jim Webb got into the Senate representing my beloved Virginia. I will campaign for George Allen and I want him to be President one day. He'll be the 2nd Ronald Reagan and they'll name an aircraft carrier for him too. I love George Allen.

Dartt Alice
Comment posted January 30, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

I would not like to see George Allen win I think Web has been a great Senator and I hope he runs and wins.