Did Mississippi Mother Lose Her Baby to Foster Care Because She Doesn’t Speak English?

Friday, August 28, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Time has a shocking immigration story in its Aug. 27 issue about an undocumented woman originally from Oaxaca, Mexico, who was reported to the Department of Homeland Security for deportation when she showed up at a hospital in Pascagoula, Miss., to give birth. The agency took the  newborn away and arranged to have it placed in foster care, reportedly because the mother’s lack of English “placed her unborn child in danger and will place the baby in danger in the future.”

The mother, Baltazar Cruz, now faces deportation, while her baby was given to a couple in Ocean Springs, Miss.

At this point, it’s not clear if there was some miscommunication that contributed to Cruz losing her baby — Cruz speaks only Chatino (an indigenous language native to Mexico), barely any Spanish and no English. The hospital relied on the translation by an American of Puerto Rican descent who spoke no Chatino and whose Spanish was significantly different from the way it’s spoken in Mexico.

According to the Mississippi Clarion-Ledger, the state of Mississippi, based on that translation, portrayed Cruz as essentially a prostitute (in fact, she was working in a Chinese restaurant) and insisted that the child be put up for adoption. Since “she has failed to learn the English language,” the newspaper quotes [state] documents as saying, she was “unable to call for assistance for transportation to the hospital” to give birth.

Lawyers from the Mississippi Immigrants’ Rights Alliance and the Alabama-based Southern Poverty Law Center are now trying to help Cruz get her baby back, but they can’t comment on the case because a judge has imposed a gag order.

Comments

The Washington Independent » Did Mississippi Mother Lose Her Baby … | All abouts
Pingback posted August 28, 2009 @ 5:36 pm

[...] Continued here: The Washington Independent » Did Mississippi Mother Lose Her Baby … [...]

The Washington Independent » Did Mississippi Mother Lose Her Baby … « penggaram
Pingback posted August 28, 2009 @ 8:27 pm

[...] See the original post here: The Washington Independent » Did Mississippi Mother Lose Her Baby … [...]

24AheadDotCom
Comment posted August 28, 2009 @ 7:42 pm

It's good to see that advocates of MassiveImmigration aren't using this very, very extremely rare case to push for even more MassiveImmigration! Thanks to Daphne Eviatar, Time, MIRA, and the SPLC for showing restraint!

/sarcasm

ForPeopleNotPolitics
Comment posted August 28, 2009 @ 11:30 pm

Wow, it ridiculous, 24AheadDotCom, that you don't see a child separated from mother due to miscommunication and faulty protocol.

You only see the politics.

divotdawg
Comment posted August 29, 2009 @ 2:37 am

OMG, this is utterly ridiculous. CPS found a newborn and found a way to get their meathooks into it. There is no chance whatsoever that this woman will ever get her child back. White newborns are hard to come by but this one is “white enough” I guess to draw in the big bucks on the foster/adopt black market! Now, if an attorney there has b*** enough to go up against this insane, corrupt, out-of-control agency pro bono, my faith in humans MIGHT be restored. Give this woman her child back! How dare they do this!!!!!!!!!

For as long as my skin is Black I will be a devoted anti-speciesist. « Vegans of Color
Pingback posted August 29, 2009 @ 8:38 pm

[...] right. Those memories run deep.  People of color still get their babies snatched away, still are shot and hunted, and until (maybe) recently experimented on. People of color are treated [...]

Name
Comment posted August 31, 2009 @ 8:45 am

Have you seen a Oaxacan baby. OMG, they are beautiful. They are like renessaince cherubs w/ caramel brown skin. It's not mentioned in the article but the “couple” that the baby was given to are 2 well connected lawyers from the area who have already held a “baby shower”. The baby is as good as theirs as according to them. I'm not surprised about the gag order I'm sure the judge and his buddies thought they were going to have a much easier time misappropriating this baby. I hope they're sweating bullets right now.

name2134
Comment posted September 3, 2009 @ 10:05 pm

Sounds like you are familiar with this situation. Is there more you know that you're not telling? Inquiring minds want to know…..

Louis Vuitton handbags
Comment posted December 10, 2010 @ 7:48 am

The Epi Leather, shiny palladium hardware, rolled leather handles with ring attachments, and Louis Vuitton Canvas engraved padlock on the side of the bag make this handbag truly standout. Instantly, I fell in love with the balenciaga bags Speedy in black! It was gorgeous, sophisticated and I thought it would lovely in my collection. I absolutely loved the Speedy Cube, but due to the ultra high price I turned to the Epi collection for a more affordable take on a black louis vuitton belts handbag. At the moment, I have four different louis vuitton clutches in my collection going on a 5th in two weeks and I thought it was quite senseless to even think to getting lousi vuitton Speedy 30. So I change to search for a black Jimmy Choo clutches I came across the Louis Vuitton Leather Lockit and it was love at first sight! I have been eager to own a Louis Vuitton store Outlet in black for some time now. If the Catier bags doesnt interest you in black, it also is available in Cassis, Ivoire, and Red. My personal favorite is the black, and I just may add the Louis Vuitton discounts Epi Leather Lockit to my current wish collection. By the way, if you think the price is high, you can visit our online store to choose some Louis Vuitton multicolor for you. I change to search for MiuMiu tote I came across the Louis Vuitton Speedy handbag. Epi Leather Lockit and it was love at first sight! The Louis Vuitton Epi MiuMiu online have always been a favorite to me, and when I saw that the lockit came in Epi Leather also I was took. For some odd reason,cheap lv handbags sale, I have never taken notice of this particular lockit handbag before and I must say it is stunning.The features of this handbag are absolutely beautiful. Written by Louis Vuitton Trunk On Sale.

“Pois enquanto minha pele for Negra eu vou ser uma devotada anti-especista”, de Royce – zami
Pingback posted January 14, 2011 @ 11:13 am

[...] e poderosas para mim. E Ela está certa. Aquelas memórias correm fundo. Pessoas de cor ainda têm seus bebês levados embora, ainda levam tiros e são caçadas, e até recentemente (talvez) eram cobaias[4]. Pessoas de cor [...]

monthly websites
Comment posted September 6, 2011 @ 4:44 am

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have quite enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing for your feed and I hope you post once again soon.