GOP Risks Alienating Latinos by Scapegoating Immigrants in Health Care Debate

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 at 10:49 am

As a leading immigration restrictionist group today opens a conference highlighting the costs of immigrants to the nation’s health care system, critics are pointing out the risks of Republicans’ embracing an anti-immigrant strategy in the health care debate.

“The Republican Party’s embrace of the nativist base is probably the most self destructive” decision party leaders could make, Frank Sharry, executive director of the immigration reform group America’s Voice, told Roll Call.

Given that Latinos tend to be Catholic and socially conservative, many might have leaned Republican, Sharry notes, had the GOP not started adopting a nativist agenda. This latest anti-immigrant stance, Sharry argues, risks transforming Latino voters  from a swing group to “a reliable bloc” for Democrats.

Henry Fernandez, a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress, agreed.

“Immigration is a constant theme,” he told Roll Call. “It’s red meat for foot soldiers who are willing to hold up signs at town halls,” adding that the anti-immigrant rhetoric encourages the participation of “dangerous people in our public discourse.”

As I reported last week, protesters at town hall meetings are increasingly railing against lawmakers for seeking to provide health care to illegal immigrants, although the pending House bill not only denies benefits to illegal immigrants but severely restricts benefits to legal immigrants as well. Still, the anger fomented by anti-health care reform groups has spilled over into nativist death threats.

Last week outside President Obama’s town hall meeting in New Hampshire, one protester shouted, “We don’t need illegals,” adding, “Send ‘em back with a bullet in the head.”

You can follow TWI on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

GOP Risks Alienating Latinos by Scapegoating Immigrants in Health Care Debate | Latino News
Pingback posted August 19, 2009 @ 12:06 pm

[...] From: The Washington Independent [...]

Kuyper
Comment posted August 19, 2009 @ 3:25 pm

When have the Republicans ever cared about the Hispanic vote? And since when have they ever been anything other than racist, nativist and xenophobic about immigration?

chenlifeng0810
Comment posted August 19, 2009 @ 3:49 pm

Only One word to characterize such a great post “WOW” that was a very interesting read
a href=”http://www.victoriaclassic.com”>Links of London Jewellery

Everything dynamic and very positively!
a href=”http://www.victoriaclassic.com”>Links of London Jewellery

I think I will try to recommend this post to my friends and family, cuz it’s really helpful.
a href=”http://www.victoriaclassic.com”>Links of London Jewellery

Just wanted to say great job with the blog, today is my first visit here and I’ve enjoyed reading your posts so far
a href=”http://www.victoriaclassic.com”>Links of London Jewellery

Thanks for article. Everytime like to read you.
a href=”http://www.victoriaclassic.com”>Links of London Jewellery

Ali999
Comment posted August 19, 2009 @ 5:18 pm

And if this healthcare bill doesn't specifically require that immigration status be verified then Obama risks alienating the millions upon millions of voters who are NOT Latino. I might add that I'm a lifelong DEMOCRAT who opposes illegal immigration and amnesty, as does my blue collar brother who's married to a Mexican-American.

chrissalzmann
Comment posted August 19, 2009 @ 5:46 pm

In fact, the legislation specifically states that “undocumented aliens” will not be eligible for credits to help them buy health insurance, in Section 246 on page 143.

That said, can the GOP say or do even more to alienate latinos???

Ali999
Comment posted August 19, 2009 @ 6:12 pm

chrissalzmann, the U.S. code also says that illegal aliens shouldn't even be in the country and shouldn't be working. We all KNOW how well that hasn't worked without enforcement of the law. This bill can SAY what it wants, but without a mechanism for enforcing that provision, there is not one reason in the world to believe that illegal aliens will not receive insurance. After all, they now hold jobs under false or stolen SS numbers and receive other benefits, such as loans and college tuition the same way. Why would we think that an illegal alien wouldn't commit more fraud in order to get medical care?

Ali999
Comment posted August 19, 2009 @ 6:20 pm

By the way, chrissalzmann, you equate illegal aliens and Latinos. However, about 50% of illegal aliens are NOT Latino. If Latino voters are “alienated” because illegal aliens are not eligible for healthcare, more power to the bill. It doesn't say much about how “American” Latinos feel if they believe their countrymen should be exempt from following our laws. Laws which, I might add, already give advantages to Hispanics in LEGAL immigration by their emphasis on family reunification.

jillibrown
Comment posted August 19, 2009 @ 6:27 pm

More damage? Let's see, there's the bigotry shown in the run up to the election would hurt, then the disgraceful actions by republicans during the Sotomayor hearings, and now the vile signage and statements presented by the tea baggers and health care opponents. How much worse can it get? They've managed to alienate about everyone but old white people – how can you win elections with that strategy? I guess they're about the only ones on the planet that doesn't know that the country is trending to a minority-majority status. Dumb move.

Ali999
Comment posted August 19, 2009 @ 7:40 pm

jillibrown, plenty of us DEMOCRATS don't want illegal aliens to receive healthcare either. Not to mention, there are as many independent voters as there are Democrats. Guess YOU don't realize that illegal immigration is an issue that cuts across party lines. As for minority-majority, well, I'm Arab-American and as “brown” as my Mexican-American sister-in-law (her husband, my brother, also opposes amnesty and benefits to illegal aliens). It is not in MY interest or those of other immigrant groups to see Latinos become a dominant ethnic group, particularly not through illegal immigration. That kind of corruption is precisely what my ancestors and relatives left their homes to escape.

yesmrbond
Comment posted August 19, 2009 @ 9:07 pm

The Democrats don't care about you because they already got your vote for your socialist messiah. They know you are so easily duped that they will spin you some platitudes, blame Republicans, cry racism and get your uninformed vote the next time too. They have been using the same playbook with Blacks since the 60's so why should Latino's be any different?

MaryJay
Comment posted August 19, 2009 @ 9:29 pm

Here's a subject I'd like to see Daphne tackle: ” Latinos Risk Alienating Other Americans By Relentlessly Putting Devotion to Their Ethnic Group Ahead of Devotion to Their Country.”

geraldshields
Comment posted August 19, 2009 @ 10:39 pm

All I can say about this is Democrats aren't the ones carrying signs advocating the shooting of illegal immigrants. Usually when people harbors that resentment, legal immigrants end up getting shot. I can see why my brother latinos are alarmed.

American
Comment posted August 19, 2009 @ 11:34 pm

As a Nativie American with a spanish surname, It is time for European Americans to understand that is exactly what most Mexicans are. They are Native Americans! That said I also believe in legal immigration as due most Native Americans with Spanish surnames. However when the GOP takes it's illegal xenophoic attitudes they lump all brown people together and that is why we get so mad and anti GOP. My ancestors have been on this continent longer than any other group of human beings and to be degrade by fellow countrymen is hurful and makes you wonder will
Europeans ever see us as equals. You killed millions of my ancestors when they got in your way why should I believe you will not do it again.

SENCVoter
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 12:18 am

This debate reminds me of an interview I read a long time ago in a German magazine. A white supremacist was asked by a German reporter if he would render help to a black man if this man had been hit by a car. The white supremacist said, yes, I would just like I would help a dog.

Some of us have put fellow humans below dogs. That is sad.

Eurodescended
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 12:44 am

The answer is: a plurality European descendants will never see you as equals. At least 40% think Native Americans with Hispanic surnames are alien to this entire hemisphere! They are dimwitted but violence-prone and dangerous as I'm sure you know.

pthbex
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 2:09 am

To all the “Democrats” who say they are against “illegal” immigration. That is a far cry from saying you want to put a bullet in the head of illegal immigrants — which is where the angry “Nativist” rhetoric is heading…

And — if you “Democrats” are against “illegal” immigration, then why don't you spend more time railing against the greedy businessmen who exploit these workers and break the law for MONEY. Why do you always blame poor people who simply want to feed their children rather than the business owners who want to buy a beach house?

This is a complex problem that requires complex solutions — international trade laws that encourage workers to stay in their home countries, prosecuting businesses who exploit workers, coming up with compassionate ways to deal with NEEDED immigration to fuel economic growth — which will happen again. Every single one of you and your families came to this country through immigration and helped make this country what it is today. That will never change — even if the color of the skin of the immigrants does.

I know that most of the immigrant-haters haven't bothered to read this — but I hope a few of you have and will think about the fact that Latinos are not being selfish in caring about this issue. We don't like being profiled, rounded-up, viewed as strangers in our OWN COUNTRY — especially when some of us have been here in New Mexico and Texas before you guys arrived from Italy and Ireland! And we DON'T like having our relatives and fellow Latinos treated like dirt because you are scared and uninformed.

Get over your racism, your fear and your simple-minded ideas. Mostly, get over yourselves.

“Democrats” or not.

Latinos will NOT forget. And most of us ARE legal. AND we VOTE.

n8eleven
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 2:36 am

That is ridiculous. This country was built over the dead bodies of native americans, with the blood and sweat of blacks and is now being fueled by the under-payed, marginalized hands of latinos. How dare you claim sole allegiance to this country. Minorities MADE this country. Our names may not be on the handful of documents you so dearly cling to, but our sweat is in every building in this nations capitol, in every railroad and farm and corner and corner store.
And Mary – believe me when I tell you – NO ONE believes in the “American dream” like immigrants. No one believes in the promise of this land, like its' immigrant population.
Your sad little statement only highlights how little you truly understand the latin american experience.

Wonk Room » The WonkLine: August 20, 2009
Pingback posted August 20, 2009 @ 10:07 am

[...] The Washington Independent points out that the “GOP risks alienating Latinos by scapegoating immigrants in health care debate.” [...]

BlackSaint
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 9:43 am

Those are not immigrants but a invading horde of Illegal Aliens! American tax payers cannot provide free health to non-citizens no matter from where, or what race!

Our government fails the most basic and primary task & duty of government, to protect this Nation and its Citizens from invasion and enforce its laws.

They refuse to abide by our Constitution, refuse to enforce our Immigration Laws and refuse to honor their Oath of Office!

Our Government, past & present, Republican & Democrat, have allowed the invasion of 20 to 30 million criminals and uneducated peons which is the largest invasion of any Nation, at any time, by any means & in direct violation of Article IV, Section IV of our Constitution.

This refusal to abide by our Constitution or enforce our Immigration Laws should be classified as Treason of the most foul kind, & as grounds for impeachment & trials for Treason!

Not only have they allowed the invasion, they force American tax payers to pay Billions on Billions of dollars to provide Welfare, Prison cells, Educate the invaders numerous children, and free medical care, at the same time the invading horde break numerous laws and massive document fraud, & are destroying our schools, hospitals, communities, culture and standard of living while Robbing, Raping, Killing & Assaulting American Citizens at an rate the terrorist can only dream about.

Recent statements in Mexico from both President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary something needs to be done. “Our inability to prevent weapons from being illegally smuggled across the border to arm these criminals causes the deaths of police officers, soldiers, and civilians,” Hillary whined.

But no mention, whines, concern or care that their refusal to stop the Massive Invasion of Illegal Aliens pouring across our borders or enforce our immigration laws that causes an estimated 25 Americans deaths per day and 10,s of thousands victims of Assault, Robberies, Rapes, Identify thief, and other assorted crimes committed by the invading horde of Illegal Aliens from Mexico on American citizens each year!

It is a telling indictment & shows their Empathy & Compassion of our Politicians & their priorities are not for the American citizens when they express more concern over Mexicans deaths mostly connected to the Drug trade, than the murders, havoc & crimes of Illegal Aliens against American Citizens!

The Democrats view the invading horde of Criminals and Uneducated third world rejects as Undocumented Welfare Democrats & the Republicans as Undocumented Slave labor for their Pay Masters in the Chamber of Commerce & Businesses!

Most of our Politicians in Wash. DC are wading knee deep in innocent American blood and suffering because they put Self Interest ahead of the interest of American Citizens & the future of this Nation!

The Citizens of this Nation have not sacrificed with blood, sweat & tears for over 200 years & obeyed the Laws of the land, paid the taxes, and fought the wars & built this Nation to see Corrupt politicians turn this Nation into the United States of Mexico without a shot being fired, to serve their demented, nefarious goals and lust for power!

stevo1
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 11:53 am

Folks, we as Americans should know that you CANNOT pick and choose which laws you want to follow and which laws you do NOT want to follow. The Non-representing representatives of ours are following marching orders from god knows who. but its not us, and its not the Law! We Americans need to STAND UP NOW and tell them enough is enough! FOLLOW the LAW! kick out every illegal alien and their children, send them back to Mexico or wherever it is they are from! they are abusing the system!, and you can bet LARAZA is behind a majority of this! healthcare? say NO to covering illegals out of our pockets! we have done this far to long! and are now facing the consequences! Our schools are overcrowded with them! they get free foodstamps! free medical! free places to live! why would they NOT want these things?? it is TIME for them to GO HOME! Let mexico deal with its own, or they can go their and change thier own country! As an American Citizen iam TIRED of footing the bill here! where in the CONSTITUTION does it say “sneak across the border, drop a child and get free living, compliments of the U.S.Taxpayer??? what did our forefathers fight and die for?? this SNAFU? tell your Non-representing -representatives that it is time to FOLLOW THE LAW! every last one of them that set foot across our border BROKE THE LAW! they need to be apprehended, deported, and if they come back, build a prison in MEXICO and let them take care of their own!

stevo1
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 11:55 am

Well Said Sir! bravo!

stevo1
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 12:03 pm

Moving to Mexico
Dear Mr. President, Senate and House of Representatives:

I'm planning to move my family and extended family (18-20 mouths) into Mexico for my health, and I would like to ask you to assist me.

We're planning to simply walk across the border from the U.S. into Mexico , and we'll need your help to make a few arrangements.

We plan to skip all the legal stuff like visas, passports, immigration quotas and laws. I'm sure they handle those things the same way you do here.

So, would you mind telling your buddy, President Calderon, that I'm on my way over? Please let him know that I will be expecting the following:

1. Free medical care for my entire family.

2. English-speaking government bureaucrats for all services I might need, whether I use them or not.

3. All Mexico government forms need to also be printed in English.

4. I want my kids to be taught Spanish by English-speaking (bi-lingual) teachers.

5. Schools need to include classes on American culture and history.

6. I want my kids to see the American flag on one of the flag poles at their school.

7. Please plan to feed my kids at school for both breakfast and lunch.

8. I will need a local Mexican driver's license so I can get easy access to government services.

9. I do plan to get a car and drive in Mexico, but, I don't plan to purchase car insurance, and I probably won't make any special effort to learn local traffic laws.

10. In case one of the Mexican police officers does not get the memo from their president to leave me alone, please be sure that every patrol car has at least one English-speaking officer.

11. I plan to fly the U.S. flag from my house top, put U S. flag decals on my car, and have a gigantic celebration on July 4th. I do not want any complaints or negative comments from the locals.

12. I would also like to have a nice job without paying any taxes, or have any labor or tax laws enforced on any business I may start.

13. Please have the president tell all the Mexican people to be extremely nice and never say a critical things about me or my family, or about the strain we might place on their economy.

I know this is an easy request because you already do all these things for all his people who come to the U.S. from Mexico .
I am sure that President Calderon won't mind returning the favor if you ask him nicely.

Thank you so much for your kind help,

Sincerely, US Citizen & Taxpayer

stevo1
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 12:05 pm

what would happen if twenty million illegals left our country?

American citizens killed by illegal aliens

Mexico's second highest income is from illegals sending money home! google it! do you understand how really HUGE that is?? how many of them MUST be here illegally to make that happen?? 12 million? HA! more like 40 million?? we are being invaded, without one shot being fired! does anybody have a CLUE?? whos job it is to protect and defend the United States?? to ABIDE by the CONSTITUTION???? what does it mean? to break the law? why all the infighting? they broke the LAW! period! google “operation w*tback” Eisenhower had this very same problem. he quietly and EFFECTIVLY took care of it! why can we not do the same??? they walked, rode, swam over here. they can do the same going home taking their anchor babies with them! and then, if they want. they can GET IN LINE. like all the rest of the “LAW ABIDING ” people that do it the RIGHT WAY!!!

Estoban
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 12:48 pm

This article attempts to divide Americans and fan racial prejudice! The fact is that Americans are red, white,black, brown and yellow and all shades between. Some Americans are prejudiced and cling to it like a teddy bear, but most of us live with, work with, play with and love each other. We judge people much more on their actions and words. We dislike liars, cheaters, criminals, abusers and those that betray us, no matter what color they are. Lawbreaking illegal aliens are just that. They come in all colors, all ethnicities, all religions. The thing they all have in common is disregard for our laws. They willingly overstay visas, steal across our borders, drive without insurance or license and use stolen and/or forged documents to get jobs and other benefits. Their actions make them unacceptable, just as the actions of legal immigrants that follow the rules make them desirable for friends, neighbors and workers. The illegal alien is no better than the greedy criminal employer that hires them. We are much better of as a nation without either. Throw out the useless elected officials that won't enforce our laws as well!

BlackSaint
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 1:34 pm

Meantime, with 15 million Americans without jobs, the invasion continues, no Liberal Politician will address the 500 pound gorilla in the room, and millions of invading, plundering, welfare loving, prolific breeding, Illegal Aliens taking millions of jobs that should be American jobs and 100,s billions of dollars in social services that should be for American citizens!

One cannot be political correct and admit that Illegal Aliens are an large part of the problems in this Nation.

Their negative impact extends to every area from Sub-par loans & defaults, Underground economy, Massive document fraud, Lower standard of living, Crime, Overflowing prisons , Bankrupted hospitals, Failing schools, Property Taxes, Insurance costs, Environment, Culture, Welfare costs, Welfare fraud, SS fraud, Voter fraud, Disrespect for our laws & country, our Constitution against invasion and even Balance of payments occurring from oil and other imports to support the 20 to 30 million illegal aliens in this country!

One has to only look at Calif. which is basically mostly an Spanish speaking, Bankrupt state that cannot afford to provide Welfare, Schooling, Medical, Prison cells etc. for millions of MS-13 Gang bangers, Drug dealers, Rapist and other assorted Criminals and uneducated, Prolific breeding, third world rejects from Mexico!

In a very few years it will be impossible to see where Mexico ends and Calif. begins as both will be an third world cesspool!

Failure to secure our borders and reward the Invading horde for their invasion and their relatives in an never ending chain with American Citizenship is nothing less than committing National Suicide & will assure our future is an over populated Spanish speaking third world Nation that is an Cesspool of Corruption, Crime, Poverty and Misery modeled on Mexico!

Fenom
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 1:41 pm

BlackSaint
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 2:07 pm

California the Golden state, American future, is fast becoming the poster child for an bankrupt third world State & the Democrats model for American!

An unholy alliance of Socialist Democrat politicians, Unions, and Illegal Aliens supporters are feasting at the trough of tax payers paid benefits while taxing & regulating business and the tax paying public into poverty.

The pandering of Left Wing Democrat Politicians to their constituency of Unions, Illegal Aliens and open border supporters, are driving business and citizens to other states & countries, while leaving the parasites & welfare leeches in an increasing bankrupt, crime ridden, dysfunctional state!

For years California has ignored economics 101 and imported Criminals, Uneducated Peons, and poverty from Mexico, which increased Medical, Welfare, Crime, Prison, etc. & adding a estimated 10 to 16 billion per year to Calif. State expense to support the invading horde of Illegal Aliens while exporting business and educated tax payers.

Like all Socialist & Marxist States the results have been a astronomical increase in social welfare, schooling, prison cost etc. and a lowing of Living standards, Education standards, Tax receipts & finally Bankruptcy.

Failure to abide by our Constitution against invasion & enforce our Immigration laws and constraints on wages and benefits for public employees will result in turning the Golden State into MexiCalif and the end of the Calif. Dream and the beginning of the MexiCalif. Nightmare!

The policies of Obama and Wash. DC Democrats are intent on following Calif. policies and are resulting in the same socialist process across American.

Amnesty & Citizenship as a reward for their invasion of the USA, will result in the rest of the USA turned into a Spanish speaking third world cesspool, modeled on Mexico and follow California into a polluted, over populated, Spanish speaking third world Nation of Crime, Corruption, Poverty, Cruelly & Misery!

This will result in a population depending on Welfare and the Democrat party, thus assuring the lock on power for the Socialist Democrat party of the United States of Mexico!

jim
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 2:42 pm

Wrong the division is between Citizens and NON- citizens

deebailey
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 4:00 pm

You got that right Fenom! Those people should be asked to be specific. If I were a congressman I would be up there with a dry erase board: “OK, let's write this down. What are we trying to get back to?” ” How far back are you trying to go?” “What specific part of the consitution are you referring to and how has it been compromised?” They're letting these people off too easy

Estoban
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 4:49 pm

deebailey, the first thing the congressman should write is:From the 1940s to the 1980s a young kid could mow lawns, sweep driveways. A high school student could work summers in construction, flip burgers, baby sit. A college student could defray costs by doing all these jobs and more part time. A young adult could get married, buy a home, raise kids, send them to school with a solid middle class construction job. No more! Lawbreaking illegal aliens have sucked up these jobs and driven wages into the ground.

Then he could write:Constitution, ArticleIV, Section 4 “The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence.

Therefore, since between 12 million and 40 million illegal aliens have stolen across our borders or overstayed visas in a mass invasion and occupy our country, secure millions of jobs using false and/or stolen identification and since neither President or Senator or Representative are upholding Article IV, Sec. 4, then our Constitution has been compromised.

MaggieGoddard
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 6:10 pm

Femon said The GOP has always been a Party of “I got mine and I don't care about you” people. They are old, white men who have an affection for the days when they owned everything, including other people. How many times have you heard at these town hall meetings “I want my Country back”? Back where? Back to when Blacks and Latinos were not even considered human. I see Black and Latino republicans and say to myself, look how far we have not come.

First of all Femon, just try and run this country with all the Democrat save the world programs without white people's money. So while you decided to make this a racial issue, I would suggest you look and see where the majority of tax income comes from.

Second of all open your eyes. The party that you loooooove so much is a socialist party, not a democratic party. While you may be one of the hungry hands that are constantly reached out to explore what you can find in someone else's pocket from someone else's hard work, there are people who truly are color blind and just want everyone to contribute and be responsible for themselves. Talk about matras that you attach to Republicans, let's try a few Democratic matras “What about my children” Don't take away my social net, I can't find a job, I'm disabled because I did too many drugs in the past, I got pregnant too many times and I need society to send me money to raise them, I need a car, I need food. You should be ashamed of yourself. I've been poorer than the majority of these left wing nuts who seem to think the world owes them a living and a life at a Obama standard. Lazy people need to get out there and contribute rather than to vote radical socialist into office so that they can remain that way. I can't wait to help vote Obama and every socialist power hungry lying democrat out of office. It will be truly a great day for America. This is as close as I ever want to come to having a dictator run my country. In the meantime, enjoy your liberal mindset, steal from others to support lazy illegal and drug infested minds. It won't last forever, enjoy yourself.

MaggieGoddard
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 6:15 pm

OH, and just today Obama said he would not stand for American's not being their brother and sister's keeper. We;'re all here to help one another. Big joke. He's good at telling stories but does he think we don't watch the news or read newspapers. You and I are supporting his Aunt who is here illegally in Chicago and living on welfare. I guess his matra doesn't apply to him, just you and I. You'd think the guy would at least throw a few bucks to his illegal Aunt if only to make his words to us look more sincere. Oh I forgot, you and I are also paying for his Mother-in-law to live the good life in the White House. It never ends with the Demorats, just spend spend spend and take take take. No matter how generous the American people are, it is never enough for the Democrats. They must have a money farm we don't know about, but then I guess really in the end they really don't give a rats ass about Americans, just watch them try to load 15-40 million illegals on our backs in the near future.

veronica
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 6:40 pm

You wouldn't be the one paying the majority of the taxes if you did not do it on other peopl's back. you took this country away from the indians with nothing but lies and death. Not only that you used slaves to build this country up. the majority of the people in this country that are heirs have received their money from the hard work of slaves. So if everybody was given an equal opportunity we all would be the ones to pay a lot of the taxes. You also tried to have power by passing jim crow laws, to make you all seem superior, now you all wants their country back. I say HELL NO, we are not backing down anymore. You all had your turn, now see how it feels to be subserviant.

jarred
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 6:50 pm

Type your comment here.If yu've been poorer than the majority of us, then you're barking up the wrong tree you need to be screaming at your right wing nuts that is hoarding all the money and looking out for themselves. you can always go to another country where everything is free. Steel from others is that not what the right wingers have done and still are doing. You sound ignorant to say you've been poorer than the majority of the leftwing when your own right have kept you poorer. Did you receive anything from them while you were poor, and now you're tryign to blame President Obama for your lack. Seems to me like you were poorer before Mr. Obama came into office. he has only been in office for 8 months, and I gurarantee, you were poorer well before he came into office. How ignorant you sound. go fuss at those right wingers that you so call loveand have been keeping you poor.

MaggieGoddard
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 7:01 pm

Veronica, you left wingers are really off base. I've never taken anyone's land from anyone, and I've never been in a home that had or condoned slaves. So take me personally out of your little box. I've never made a dime off anyone elses back, nope no welfare and oh yeah three days of unemployment since I was 16 years old and I think my employeers paid into that program so no loss there. No medical, no help with school supplies, not welfare, nope not a bit. Now how did we live? Shoes only in the winter time, plastic over the window frames, no indoor toilet, my bed was a filthy canvas army cot, no TV until I was in the 5th grade and no car until then as well.
So while you may say boo hoo, save it. I had a good childhood and never knew I was poor because everyone else in the neighborhood was as well. I had a good time with good family. Good work ethics. So I would compare my life style as a young person with any one of these suckers sneeking into our country with their hands out for charity or welfare. You can point the finger to some who have not lived a poor life but not to me. Made me stronger, I've always work, I've always saved. People simply cannot sit around waiting for the freaking government to send them a check, or food stamps or provide health care. Go to another damm country if that is how you want to live. No one is stopping you. As for being subservant to others now that the left wing nuts are making their “what about me” mark? I will never be subservant to anyone regardless of my financial situation. It is you that have stolen from others through “government programs” that felt subservant because of your own willingness to let someone own your future. Not me, sorry. Take your pathetic view of history and peddle it at some left wing socialist get together.

honker
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 8:37 pm

GOP may risk losing the illegal alian vote but they sure woould get many conservative Democrats, independents and others that are waiting for candidate to stand up, secure the borders, crack down on corrupt employers that hire illegal aliens and start deporting illegal aliens! Good God you frikin morons…get some candidates with some balls that will actually stand up for the Amercian people…and not another Juan Mcain waffling over amnesty for illegal aliens…PLEASE.

honker
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 8:41 pm

Shut up moron! You write with poison pen

honker
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 8:51 pm

Wow! I am dead set against illegal aliens and I believe that illegal immigration is an equal opportunity crime commited by all races, creeds and religiouns of people from all around the world.

honker
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 8:53 pm

Kuyper: I resent your comment!

americanpiehole
Comment posted August 20, 2009 @ 9:59 pm

This is a simple issue you are either for open borders or you are not.
All other rhetoric on this issue is just bunk.

DD
Comment posted August 22, 2009 @ 4:15 am

Very true, unfortunately for many people this issue is more about race than anything else. It's no surprise that the number of hate crimes against Latinos has continued to rise as a result. Mexicans are largely native american as you stated and have resided in the southwest long before the first Americans arrived, yet they're labeled as “aliens”. Native Americans have resided here longer than anyone else yet they're also viewed as foreigners on their own land. The only “true” from their perspective is a white christian. It is really sad to see so called patriotic individuals turning on their fellow Americans. The ironic part is that Mexican Americans make up a large percentage of the US military serviceman defending our country overseas and agents patrolling the US border at home.

Colon Cleansing
Comment posted February 8, 2010 @ 11:54 pm

I completely agree that cost of migrating the candidates should be controlled up to an extent . Otherwise it may cause an overhead.

BestColoncleanse
Comment posted February 9, 2010 @ 2:15 am

I am aware of cost of immigrants as they really cost much that effects us.
Colon Cleanse