Anything You’d Like to Apologize For, ‘Morning Joe?’

Friday, July 10, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Much remains unclear about the substance of the “significant actions” that CIA Director Leon Panetta conceded that the agency didn’t sufficiently brief to Congress. What’s absolutely crystal clear is that for days on end, MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough  popped off at the mouth about how the CIA would never ever never mislead Congress and how House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) “needs to shut up” instead of saying otherwise. Just check out this new Media Matters video (after the jump).

I carry no brief for Pelosi, and Pelosi could indeed be misrepresenting what CIA actually briefed to her, even though the additional questions about its briefing schedule are numerous. But if Scarborough had bothered reading, say, an acclaimed history of the CIA, he would immediately see that it’s extremely well documented that the CIA has often misled Congress about sensitive intelligence programs. Basic due diligence, unfortunately, would get in the way of his preferred storyline, so don’t expect anything like this latest self-induced humiliation to prompt an on-air reflection of the way “Morning Joe” operates. The unaccountable ability of some cable TV hosts to just pretend to their audiences like they know what they’re talking about is really staggering.

You can follow TWI on Twitter and Facebook.

Follow Spencer Ackerman on Twitter

Comments

The CIA’s Lies to Congress | News Fu
Pingback posted July 10, 2009 @ 3:43 pm

[...] the meantime, we can at least take heart that, even if only momentarily, it’s made one obnoxious blowhard on cable TV change his [...]

The CIA’s Lies to Congress | Design Website Blog
Pingback posted July 10, 2009 @ 4:12 pm

The CIA’s Lies to Congress | Design Website
Pingback posted July 10, 2009 @ 4:45 pm

Betsy
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 5:50 pm

Morning Blow

strangely_enough
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 6:33 pm

I'd say ask Lori Klausutis, but she's permanently in dispose…
Only in America, could a talk show host claim the CIA to be honest about their activities.

thebigmouth
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 7:24 pm

he thinks he'll be president some day with mika as vp

jan
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 7:36 pm

Joe is a joke and so is his side kick Mika. Why would anyone that is an MSNBC viewer watch these two and the other jokers on his show. My advice to Joe and boys is to move over to Fixed News where you will fit in just fine. My advice to MSNBC is do something about your AM shows. Get rid of Joe and company, Dylan on Morning Meeting and Dr. Nancy. If I wanted to watch right wing republican talking heads I'd watch Fixed.

ejfree
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 7:38 pm

How may politicians quit politics just to get a job on cable tv? ( dead office aide). Joe big mouth, red neck got scared of the scandal and quit. Just like his buddy Sarah Palin. Mika and Joe have traveling a lot lateley on his book signing tour. Why would she leave her husband and kids for Joe just to help the book sales. She's been closer and smiling a lot more at Joe on the show. Joe and Mika are lovers. Oh yea, Joe was hard on Pelosi.

lapdogd
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 7:51 pm

I agree with you 10000%. As for watching those two clowns, I do not watch them live or get any podcasts to clutter my computer from J&M. I only look at YouTubes of videos on various posts that show what a joke they are, as they got something wrong – AGAIN!!

rvgrandpa
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 8:33 pm

If it was determined that the U.S. was going to wipe the world's biggest asshole, all the toilet paper would be shipped to Scarborough's house. 'Nuff said.

jackbutler5555
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 8:55 pm

I'm not a Washington insider but the idea that the CIA routinely deceives Congress seems a little strange to me. As we well know one party replacing another in both the executive and legislative branches is part of our national rhythm. The CIA executives have observed these flip-flops for decades. So, why would they believe that just because the political party in power encourages deceiving Congress, the next one won't mind when they take the helm. Let bygones be bygones, right? It sounds wrong to me. As evidence, they made the Bush administration give them their interrogation marching orders in writing, along with a legal rationale.

jackbutler5555
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 8:59 pm

Lovers, eh? I'd never know unless I came here. I was going by the fact that Mika disagreed with him a lot, a lot. I guess I'm easily fooled. You're not making all this up just because you don't like Joe, are ya'?

sgwhiteinfla
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 9:14 pm

Take the opposite view of what you are saying. What if the CIA doesn't favor EITHER party and therefore believe its much better for them just to lie to everyone and hope they get away with it? Don't believe for one second that Republicans haven't attacked the CIA repeatedly over the years. Hell Cheney HATED them. So isn't it likely that lying is just SOP no matter whom is in power?

jackbutler5555
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 9:20 pm

Your view would make the better movie. But why would the CIA want to set themselves up to be beaten up all the time? Keep in mind. These are guys and gals who got kids in college, mortgages, car payments, and wives who want to go on vacation. They lose their jobs and they ain't got squat.

jackbutler5555
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 9:26 pm

In all fairness to Joe, this is who he is. That's his show. He's sober when he delivers his pronouncements, unlike some of the guys in the bar the night before. Remember what he said about Al Franken? He said Franken wanted to steal the election. Then later on, he said Coleman should quit the battle. I enjoy the show because he just spews it out without giving it any thought. But he's determined to sound authoritative. Then he acts later on as if he never said it. It must be my weird sense of humor.

strangely_enough
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 9:27 pm

“So, why would they believe that just because the political party in power encourages deceiving Congress, the next one won't mind when they take the helm.”
That assumes an appreciable difference between party leadership that simply hasn't been evidenced. If they can't be compelled to account for torture, reforming the CIA obviously “off the table.”

Jilli
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 9:27 pm

Mika is the equivalent of sarah palin – all looks and no substance. And the Schmoe – he's nothing but msnbc's version of Billo – if you don't agree with him or dispute his facts – he'll just talk louder and cut you off.

I'd rather see Lawrence O'Donnel in the morning slot.

jackbutler5555
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 9:33 pm

I won't get into a debate about whether there is sufficient philosophical difference between the parties. But you may have noticed the game of making the other party look bad, haven't you? If so, CIA deception would logically be fuel for either fire.

leesmall
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 10:02 pm

Thank God you are able to provide balance an clarity to all this tripe. When the Talking Heads present opinion as fact, the politest thing one can say is they're “opinionated”(and be praised for it, no less). When these “facts” are presented without editorial disclaimer, the best one can say is they're biased, deceitful commentary that obfuscates real truth and clarity. Nothing less(but a lot more) should be said.

Swami_Binkinanda
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 11:23 pm

Morning Joe is MSNBC's penance for letting three hours of truth be broadcast per day.

CeeLee
Comment posted July 10, 2009 @ 11:36 pm

Wow, I just loved the part where he called Nancy Pelosi “his friend”. Thank God Joe Asshole isn't in Congress anymore.

Joe Scarborough, Pelosi Critic, Now Laments Unfair Criticism Of Pelosi | i-Technews
Pingback posted July 11, 2009 @ 1:22 am

[...] the prototypal word, to the last, I hap with the Washington Independent’s sociologist Ackerman: I circularize no short for Pelosi, and Pelosi could indeed be misrepresenting what CIA actually [...]

Retab
Comment posted July 11, 2009 @ 1:49 am

Way to go, Joe! You seem to make a habit of this.

GeorgiaEliot
Comment posted July 11, 2009 @ 1:54 am

You are talking about the grunts, not the upper levels who make decisions regarding briefings or security classifications. The best way to stay upper level – keep the dirt secret until you need to use it. Look how long Hoover ran the FBI……

jakeparker
Comment posted July 11, 2009 @ 12:12 pm

It's called “Selling Your Book”. Everytime, and I mean 'every instance', one of these right-wing whack-jobs writes a book, they have to do an attention-grabbing act to sell it. Everyone knows that what they say doesn't make any difference, as long as it gets attention.
See: Coulter, Buchanan, Bennett, etc.

sheikwil
Comment posted July 11, 2009 @ 5:49 pm

I agree Joe Scarbrough is a low life cheating lyar. When he is lying or don't know what he is talking about, he talks over the person that his calling him out on his lies. He needs to tell how that women died in his office. Mika is an idiot, I can't belive she is her father's daughter. How can her father who is one smart man and usually calls Joe Scarbough out on his lies and tell him he doesn't know what he is talking about, have a daughter who is just a stupid butt kisser for Joe Scarbrough,. she will always look like the idiots that work on Fox because that's where joe, fat pat bucahnan the racist should be working. They are all ignorant losers like the majoriity of the Republicans

justasking
Comment posted July 12, 2009 @ 9:53 pm

Joe and Mika have becomes such a joke in the morning. She lacks class and doesn't demand respect from the loud mouth blowheart Joe. I got more news and a variety of opinions from Don Imus. How I wish MSNBC had a show like that.
I watched the Today Show for 15 yrs then Imus then Joe in the Morning… I'm done.
The show has gone down hill to opinions taunted as truth and overtalking guest.

New title of show… Morning Joke with Joe & Mika

richardclark
Comment posted July 13, 2009 @ 11:02 am

You don't really expect less from Scarborough do you! He also professes daily how America is center Right….and continuing to grow in that direction….Which is a lie…of coarse….
He never explains how America elected a black President while being center Right?

jeanmcdermott
Comment posted July 29, 2009 @ 11:35 pm

My God. Pelosi has zero credibility! Obama is a close second! He says one thing and ZING the next thing you know it is packaged in a gilded message and is a totally different package. I hope his first 4 yrs go well because that SUCKER will not make it for a second term, I HOPE. A rose by any other name is still a rose, and he colors his speaches to get approval with lies, arrogance and BULLSHIT. My philosphy is that we do whatever it takes to shut this liar up. I cannot believe there are that many “sheep” in America who do not give one Damn moments thought to what the real truth is or where it leads. Tell me where to go, what to do who to write…I will do it. My congressmen do not know what the bills are but are pressured to vote for them. What the F… is that about? How can I vote for a representative who votes before he knows the issues because of pressure. NO Friggin way. show me the tea party. Point me the right way, I will be there. I am from a military family. I will not lay down and play dead. the constituation should rule over all. Damn it. i AM AN AMERICAN. DON'T MESS WITH ME./

jeanmcdermott
Comment posted July 29, 2009 @ 11:45 pm

WHAT horsecrap. grow up. mika is Nothing like palin but she will not lay down and play dead. The woman has real class and a brain. Joe is a master at telling it like it is. It is not about talking louder it is about talking with meaning and reason. Shut your mouth long enough to absorb what is being said. You might actually learn something.

jeanmcdermott
Comment posted July 29, 2009 @ 11:47 pm

YOU ARE A total friggin idiot. Pay attention. You must be a democrat…..they are traditionally followers and never ever ever pay attention to what is gong on in the real world. DUH.

jeanmcdermott
Comment posted July 29, 2009 @ 11:48 pm

Sit on your ass and spit in the wind for the easy way out. It is where you actually belong. DUH