Another Delay in the CIA Inspector General Torture Report

Wednesday, July 01, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Remember how the Justice Department was supposed to declassify the 2004 CIA inspector general’s report on the “enhanced interrogation program” today? Not going to happen. There’s continued legal wrangling over how much to declassify. The latest I’ve heard is that the declassification could happen tomorrow — happy Fourth of July! — or perhaps next week. My understanding is that White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs made some comments to that effect at his press briefing this afternoon, but I was out at a thing and haven’t seen the transcript yet. More soon.

Update: OK, got the relevant section of the Gibbs briefing. Long story short: probably not going to be released this week, as there’s an ongoing interagency fight over how much can be declassified. Gibbs:

Obviously some of the information that’s out now can — you can go back now through the older IG report — in a sense, I don’t know if this is a word, “unredact” some of that material.  That’s what — I think that’s a decent part of what’s going on interagency-wise right now.

The IG report was actually “released” in May 2008 but was almost entirely redacted. If it can’t be unredacted, then it can’t actually be released in any substantive fashion.

Follow Spencer Ackerman on Twitter

Comments

sgwhiteinfla
Comment posted July 1, 2009 @ 6:27 pm

David Corn tweeted that Gibbs said he wouldn't expect it to be released this week. I am hoping that means somebody is in there fighting to get more of it released that isn't redacted.

saynototorture
Comment posted July 1, 2009 @ 6:42 pm

I'm not feeling the change I can belive in. I bet the the delay was caused by the need to run to staples to buy more black markers. I bet we see a NEWS DUMP on teh holiday.

I heard the reports says nothing was gained by torture and that the CIA tortured more than even the Bush Laywers said the could. Holder will continue to drag his feet on investigating torture as is required by the UN conventions on torture which is US law.

Still No CIA IG Report | Design Website
Pingback posted July 1, 2009 @ 8:45 pm

[...] comes today that, shockingly, the Justice department has requested yet another delay in declassifying the 2004 CIA inspector [...]

Still No CIA IG Report | Design Website Blog
Pingback posted July 1, 2009 @ 9:07 pm

[...] No CIA IG Report Jul.01, 2009 in FeedNews Word comes today that, shockingly, the Justice department has requested yet another delay in declassifying the 2004 CIA inspector [...]

muzza
Comment posted July 1, 2009 @ 9:22 pm

Phew. Smells like rape.

Nbruno
Comment posted July 2, 2009 @ 3:38 am

No surprise. How will we justify photos of abuse? Send these detainees to trial. Almost 8 years now!!! Not releasing this information only amounts to protecting mistakes at Gitmo. The world has a right to be angry at us. Let's face the music and stagger back to reality and sanity. You can't protect us by hiding the truth, this diseased situation is already terminal.

adidas online
Comment posted June 4, 2010 @ 8:13 am

Thanks for this interesting post,i like it.

very good
Comment posted June 7, 2011 @ 7:31 am

Thank you for this post,it’s very interesting.