Santorum: Don’t Filibuster Sotomayor

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 9:32 am

I just spoke with former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), who’s now a senior fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center, and asked him whether the party should keep open the option of filibustering Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor.

“I’ve never been for a filibuster,” said Santorum. “You can’t go out and argue, as we did, during the Roberts and Alito confirmations and during the circuit court process, that filibusters are illegitimate when it comes to judges, and then come back and use them now. And if you’re looking at this from the realpolitik perspective, I don’t believe that we could ever sustain a filibuster. The other side can. They are much more power-driven and politically motivated than our side could ever be.”

“We need to be pure on this one.”

You can follow TWI on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Duvall
Comment posted June 23, 2009 @ 3:21 pm

“They are much more power-driven and politically motivated than our side could ever be.”

Comedy, or high comedy?

Juan
Comment posted June 23, 2009 @ 5:45 pm

Oh that is just to damn funny

curt
Comment posted June 23, 2009 @ 6:43 pm

I hear the GOP is changing their mascot to a Hippopotamus. Better alignment with their Hypocrite ideology.

Deep Stupid « Hungry Hungry Hippos
Pingback posted June 26, 2009 @ 6:55 pm

[...] senator Rick Santorum.  When asked if the GOP should filibuster the Sotomayor nomination, Santorum replied: I’ve never been for a filibuster. You can’t go out and argue, as we did, during the Roberts [...]

Mari
Comment posted June 28, 2009 @ 10:51 pm

It will certainly make lots of problems for Republicans if they bulldoze this judicial appointment of Sotomayor. She has sterling qualification and she deserves an up or down vote. A filibuster could damage the Republican Party for years to come. I am glad that alas, Santorum is facing the fact that to filibuster this nominee will demand a huge price from Republicans. I have no idea why my party has such a huge need to shoot themselves in the foot on this issue. Her poll numbers clearly confirm that the majority of Americans think she is well qualified for the job. Of course, Republican treatment of Hispanics of late has not been very good. Their racist outlook seems to preclude them from being able to maintain their usual majority oin Hispanic votes. Democrats seem open-armed in their acceptance of this wonderfully prepared woman to be a supreme Court Justice. I think her nomination will sail through and if it does not, expect there to be a huge backlash against us Republicans.