Manny Miranda: In Court Fight, Hispanics, Unlike Blacks, ‘Think Like Everybody Else’

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Manny Miranda, the chairman of the Third Branch Conference and the author of a letter that has asked Senate Republicans to consider a “Democratic filibuster” against Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor, just spoke at a Heritage Foundation luncheon for conservative bloggers. One point he hammered home was that questions about Sotomayor’s 2001 “wise Latina” speech and her support for affirmative action could be asked without alienating Hispanic voters as long as the party reached out to Spanish-speaking media on the substance of legal issues. “I want to get to answer the wise Latino man side of it,” joked Miranda, who is Hispanic.

“Hispanic polls, Hispanic surveys, indicate that Hispanics think just like everyone else. We’re not like African-Americans. We think just like everybody else. When I was on the leader’s staff, someone called me once and asked me: ‘What’s Senator Frist’s Hispanic agenda?’ I said, ‘low taxes, better education, more jobs … what are you talking about?’ And that’s how Hispanics are. This is an opportunity to educate them on all of our issues and they will resonate in the way that they resonate with everyone else.”

African-American and Hispanic opinions didn’t actually diverge much in the last court fight: one poll on the confirmation of Samuel Alito found that African-Americans and Hispanics were split 50/50 on whether he should have been put on the court, although a greater number of African-Americans had no opinion. I talked with Miranda after the luncheon about whether he really wasn’t worried about a Hispanic backlash against the GOP if the Supreme Court fight got out of control — he considers it a possible problem, albeit a remote one if Republicans “fill the void” with substance.

TWI is on Twitter. Please follow us here.

Comments

PG
Comment posted June 2, 2009 @ 1:03 pm

Ironic that Miranda is point-man on this, given the extent to which he hyped up the conservative theory that Democrats opposed Estrada's nomination to a federal appellate court because they feared it would launch Estrada for being the first Latino Supreme Court nominee. http://www.mirandafund.com/Miranda%20Memogate.pdf

A Hermit
Comment posted June 2, 2009 @ 1:11 pm

Adam Serwer has a good question: http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/tapped_archi…

What does it mean that Latinos are “not like African-Americans” because they “think like everyone else”? I'm interested to hear Miranda's explanation of the cognitive differences between black people and the rest of America.

greg
Comment posted June 2, 2009 @ 1:14 pm

help me out please. I don't understand by the context of this brief article how blacks think differently. can someone please enlighten me.

Gern
Comment posted June 2, 2009 @ 1:40 pm

Looks like it's gonna be a BIG problem. The GOP has no substance. Just crap. As a Hispanic working with mostly African American and Hispanic families I'm appalled by these statements. The man's an idiot and absolutely does NOT speak for the Hispanics I know. If anything, more of us are thinking like progressives than whoever he means when he says they don't think like “us.” He's a bigoted and ethically challenged sychophant; in a word, republican.

Gern
Comment posted June 2, 2009 @ 1:43 pm

Sorry. Meant …think like “everybody else.”

Texas Aggie
Comment posted June 2, 2009 @ 3:41 pm

“a remote one if Republicans “fill the void” with substance.”

And therein lies the problem. Where is he going to find any substance that would say that Judge Sotomayor shouldn't be appointed to the Supreme Court?

He must realize this which is why he is falling back on plan B which is “say really stupid things.”

Republican Claims that African Americans Think Differently from Everyone Else | Politicususa.com
Pingback posted June 2, 2009 @ 5:46 pm

[...] the Heritage Foundation, Miranda said, “Hispanic polls, Hispanic surveys, indicate that Hispanics think just like everyone else. [...]

Manuel Miranda: Latinos are ‘not like African-Americans. We think just like everybody else.’ | Dailycensored.com
Pingback posted June 2, 2009 @ 6:00 pm

[...] to suggest that African-Americans somehow think differently from other people. Latinos are “not like African-Americans. We think just like everybody else”: Hispanic polls, Hispanic surveys, indicate that [...]

24AheadDotCom
Comment posted June 2, 2009 @ 8:52 pm

Oh, the horror and the outrage!

Of course, the probability that he was referring to blacks voting about 99.99% for the Dems shouldn't enter anyone's consideration. After all, Weigel's Soros[TM]-brand shock collar might fire if he actually tried to figure out what Miranda meant.

dsl
Comment posted June 2, 2009 @ 9:25 pm

Are you sure we can't just find you on Dittohead.com?

Manuel Miranda: Latinos are ‘not like African-Americans. We think just like everybody else.’ | Think Progress
Pingback posted June 3, 2009 @ 2:16 am

[...] that African-Americans someways conceive differently from another people. Latinos are “not same African-Americans. We conceive meet same everybody else”: Hispanic polls, American surveys, inform that [...]

LaTonja
Comment posted June 3, 2009 @ 10:45 am

Maybe you should ask Miranda if the Democratic nominee had been a highly intelligent, charismatic, thoughtful, stately, savvy cross-over HISPANIC candidate, would he (or she) have received an astronomical percentage of the Hispanic vote?

Tim
Comment posted June 3, 2009 @ 11:37 am

Excuse me Mr. Miranda, but u speak for yourself not all Latinos.

Dunnie J.
Comment posted June 3, 2009 @ 12:03 pm

I don't understand what Miranda is talking about. I am a African-American male and before I retired, I worked with several people of of hispanic descent. We were all middle class blue collar workers. The only reason that I rather vote democrat is because most of the republicans that I worked with who were considered middle class were so mean-spirited and most of the hispanics that I knew were more cordial to me. I guess living in the south and raising a family was a problem for me as well as the hispanics I knew. The animosity was rampant. I wasn't accepted by the mainstream worker until I was in my late thirties which was around the mid-80s. All I wanted was to keep a well paying job and making sure that my family was secure. Miranda leave me to think that all that African-Americans wanted was welfare but that wasn't what I saw from the people in my associations. Most of the people I associated with were compassionate and unselfish. I just don't have any idea of what Miranda is talking about.

LJM
Comment posted June 4, 2009 @ 11:36 pm

Oh, Lonewhacko, are you ever not an idiot?

We Think Just Like Everybody Else «
Pingback posted June 5, 2009 @ 2:34 am

[...] considering everybody. References & Inspirations The Washington Independent – 06/02/2009 “In Court Fight, Hispanics, Unlike Blacks, Think Like Everybody Else” The Lincoln-Douglas Debates – 1858 “The Lincoln-Douglas Debates” Dr. Martin Luther King, [...]

LJM
Comment posted June 5, 2009 @ 6:36 am

Oh, Lonewhacko, are you ever not an idiot?

how do you think? « mulatto diaries
Pingback posted June 6, 2009 @ 9:48 am

[...] to suggest that African-Americans somehow think differently from other people. Latinos are “not like African-Americans. We think just like everybody [...]

deshontetownsend
Comment posted June 22, 2009 @ 4:05 am

wow..i dont wat to say but..hispanics r takin over

electronic collar
Comment posted September 3, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

Great blog, this could be the best blog I ever visited this month. Never stop to write something useful dude!

3080255