Soufan vs. Lindsey Graham

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 12:27 pm

“Do you know a guy named… K-I-R-I-A-K-O-U,” Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) asks Ali Soufan, referring to a former CIA official who alleged that — at an interrogation he never portrayed himself as attending — Abu Zubaydah broke after his initial waterboarding.

“Last week he retracted that,” Ali Soufan responded.

Graham: “Can you say there was no good information” resulting from torture?

Emphasizing he’s speaking from his first-person experience, “I would like you to evaluate what we got before” torturing Abu Zubaydah, Soufan replies. Graham: “One of the reason these interrogation techniques have survived for 500 years is because they work.”

Soufan: “There are a lot of people who find it easier and aren’t smart enough” to interrogate someone without torture. Graham finishes by saying Soufan isn’t the “only repository” of information on interrogation.

“I have nothing but the highest regard for this gentleman,” Graham alleges.

Follow Spencer Ackerman on Twitter

Comments

Dick Hertz
Comment posted May 13, 2009 @ 2:35 pm

Shorter Graham: Torture makes me hot in my private places. Why stop if it is just brown people?

Swami_Binkinanda
Comment posted May 13, 2009 @ 9:35 pm

Torture, a case study and debating the un-debatable… : The Sirens Chronicles
Pingback posted June 4, 2009 @ 11:40 am

[...] When Senator Lindsay Graham (R-S.C.) argued that… “One of the reason these interrogation techniques have survived for 500 years is because they work.” [...]

Rahm, KSM, GTMO, Lindsey Graham and Bipartisanship As Unilateral Disarmament
Pingback posted February 15, 2010 @ 6:06 pm

[...] yet when he’s faced with people who know more than he does, he acts like a baby, as with his petulant treatment of longtime FBI counterterrorist Ali Soufan last year. He is not the chairman of anything. He is [...]

dresses karen millen
Comment posted September 5, 2011 @ 2:43 am

The specific thought is actually substantially more widespread to check out substantially more vibrant participants dressing fashionable Karen millen clothes through getting an function.

Puma Caps
Comment posted September 5, 2011 @ 2:46 am

Blast Caps are extremely competitive with retail opposition simply because they might be bought on their own without any bottles or weight being shipped.

Wholesaler Galvanni
Comment posted September 6, 2011 @ 5:40 am

I used to be searching the net interested in some cool stuff and stummbled accross your internet site. I desired to inform that that we think your website has some great pages so i have formerly saved this article to visit again soon Thanks!