They Punctured My York

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 5:03 pm

A couple more things about that Byron York column. First, the topline argument about President Obama’s popularity is even sillier than it first seems, because the president’s popularity has risen with whites and held even with blacks since the election.

62 percent of whites approve of the job Obama is doing as president. Among blacks, the number is 96 percent.

Obama won 43 percent of the white vote and 95 percent of the black vote. His black support has increased by only one percent, but his white support has soared by 44 percent.

The other strange thing about York is that all of this appeared in one of Washington, D.C.’s three newspapers — a city that’s 55 percent black, with an electorate that’s 56 percent black. The Examiner isn’t generally read by black Washingtonians, though, which might be one reason why the paper’s op-ed brass thought it wise to publish a piece about why those people didn’t really count.

TWI is on Twitter. Please follow us here.

Comments

Duvall
Comment posted April 29, 2009 @ 2:30 pm

To be fair, the Washington Examiner isn't generally read by white Washingtonians either.

Chris Willie Williams
Comment posted April 29, 2009 @ 4:23 pm

That headline made me smile.

(Great analysis of the York piece all around, too.)

neff
Comment posted April 30, 2009 @ 9:19 am

I thought the Examiner was primarily read by people who decided to take one from the guy handing them out free at the Metro station so they'd have something to read on the train. They would have been reading the Express instead if they'd had an Express guy at their station instead of an Examiner guy.

tsynnott
Comment posted May 2, 2009 @ 3:04 am

Put a York in him – ah, he's done…

Aaron
Comment posted May 3, 2009 @ 7:16 am

How would the black vote go if they knew that on his birth certificate that he had sealed listed him as white?

Emily Wilcox
Comment posted May 7, 2009 @ 1:34 pm

Hey Weigel, thanks for clearing this up. I'm a white supporter of Obama so we know I'm not “playing the race card” that Republicans are so adamant about accusing those of noticing York's racist column of.

Emily Wilcox

???
???
???
???

Rfopk Avtl
Comment posted May 17, 2011 @ 7:34 am

I like it very much, thank you cheap custom jerseys

nba nfl nhl mlb