GOP Congressman: Cap-and-Trade Biggest Threat to Democracy and Freedom

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 at 12:52 pm

During a House Energy and Commerce Committee hearing to discuss newly proposed climate change legislation from Committee Chairman Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) and Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.), Rep. John Shimkus (R-Ill.) just said this about cap-and-trade programs to limit carbon emissions:

This is the largest assault on democracy and freedom in this country that I’ve ever experienced. I’ve lived through some tough times in Congress: impeachment, two wars, terrorist attacks. I fear this more than all of the above activities that have happened.

You may recall Shimkus from some of his other rational, non-hyperbolic arguments, such as the time he publicly reasoned that high carbon dioxide levels might not be so bad. After all, the dinosaurs didn’t seem to mind.

Follow Aaron Wiener on Twitter

Comments

PunditKix
Trackback posted April 22, 2009 @ 1:03 pm

The Washington Independent » GOP Congressman: Cap-and-Trade Biggest Threat to Democracy and Freedom…

Trackback from PunditKix.com…

Joseph
Comment posted April 23, 2009 @ 9:44 am

Ironic coming from a guy that voted for the Patriot Act

sarah
Comment posted April 23, 2009 @ 10:19 am

We are regulated by our governement to wear our seat belts, have gun permits and we have a FDA that is (supposed) to regulate our food supply……………….. WHY would we not regulate carbon emissions? They KILL and harm too. Only greedy corporations & politicians oppose protecting the public.

Matt
Comment posted April 23, 2009 @ 12:01 pm

Cap and trade will raise each household's taxes by over $3000 a year. When you have to get your electricity rationed to you, you can thank Pelosi's congress for handing over control of our lives to a bunch of bureaucrats.

Nobody
Comment posted April 23, 2009 @ 12:53 pm

The cap and trade is estimated to cost the oil and gas indusrty 400 BILLION dollars over the next 10 years iff passed. Who do you thinnks is going to pay for this? We are as consumers. If this passes, we can all look forward to $8.00 per gallon gasoline prices…

Nobody
Comment posted April 23, 2009 @ 12:57 pm

Actually MIT did a study this year that says a cost of $4500 per family of four per year. Oil prices will see an increase of 23%, natural gas by 20%. Not to mention the possibility that smaller refineries will be driven out of business…Further increasing the prices and contributing to economic problems when those people get released from their jobs and more people start losing there homes…

Nobody
Comment posted April 23, 2009 @ 1:05 pm

There arre other ways to regulate carbon emissions. A carbon tax vs. cap and trade is a better option. Let the companies pay for the specific amount of emmissions rather than giving allowances. That cost would create incintive to decrease CO2 emmisions. If the companies are required to pay for an allowance, there is no incintive to reduce emissions. It would also create a need for smaller refineries to close in order to sell their allowances.

Drasties - Dutch on the World - World on the Dutch
Pingback posted April 23, 2009 @ 8:27 pm

[...] Rep. John Shimkus (R-IL) described President Obama’s energy plan as “the largest assault on democracy and freedom in this country that I’ve ever experienced.” Speaking at a hearing on the Waxman-Markey [...]

Ken
Comment posted April 24, 2009 @ 8:03 am

He's right. I agree with his comments. I too believe that this is the greatest threat to America that I have ever seen, and I'm astonished that the one man who I felt would save us, Obama, is pushing for this disaster. The vast majority of people have no idea how deep this Cap&Tax scheme will eventually go. Did you know that once Cap&tax is in place, there will be another push for the really big money; it's called “Carbon Rationing”. It's the holy grail of the green movement. With carbon rationing, you will be issued a carbon credit card and under threat of law you will be forced to swipe this card every time you buy gas or diesel, fly, or use electricity. When the card runs out you must buy more carbon credits. Eventually that carbon ration will be extended to eating beef or any other meat, clothing, sports or hundreds of other activities we take for granted. So say so long to bar-B-qe'd ribs and hello to tofu burgers, I kid you not. I hope that Shimkus and Inhofe and others like him defeat this bill, it would mark the beginning of the end of our world as we know it.

Chrisdutch
Comment posted April 24, 2009 @ 11:06 am

Nobody, not even close. It is figured to raise household costs by $80.00 per year. Anyway, I hope Shimkus enjoys his beachfront property in the middle of Illinois.

Ken
Comment posted April 24, 2009 @ 3:03 pm

Chrisdutch
Comment posted April 24, 2009 @ 6:06 pm

The Top Five Environmental Whoppers of 2009: An Earth Day Retrospective « ScatterShot
Pingback posted May 1, 2009 @ 11:55 pm

[...] a March 25 hearing of the House Subcommittee on Energy and the Environment, Shimkus pointed to historic — or rather, prehistoric — precedent to argue that rising levels of greenhouse gases [...]

adidas originals
Comment posted June 5, 2010 @ 1:27 am

Thanks for this interesting post,i like it.