Scenes from the DC Tea Party: Round One

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 at 12:39 pm

img_24341The Washington, D.C. tea party is underway! Several hundred intrepid protesters turned out in the rain to voice their opposition to taxes, bailouts, the Obama administration, the Federal Reserve and a slew of other political issues. TWI’s Dave Weigel will have full coverage of the event later this afternoon, but for now, enjoy a few photos I took of the tea party, after the jump:
An initially thin crowd in Lafayette Park slowly filled out as people ventured out in the rain.

An initially thin crowd in Lafayette Square slowly filled out as people ventured out in the rain.

img_2428

A volunteer men’s quartet with some, uh, minor tuning issues kicked things off with renditions of “The Star Spangled Banner,” “America the Beautiful” and “God Bless America.”

img_2419

This gentleman came all the way from Oregon to demonstrate his frustration with the Fed in front of the White House.

img_2429

The event was rife with the obligatory communist references, including this shirt purchased from mikechurch.com.

img_2418

And some Mussolini references too. At least this guy got his first name right.

img_2425

An event for the whole family.

img_2415

For everything else, there’s MasterCard.

img_2434

The opening speaker emphatically declared that the demonstrators were NOT right-wing extremists. This guy begged to differ.

img_2437

Ah, there’s the tea we’ve been hearing about.

img_2442

This young man was the only demonstrator I saw calling for Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) and Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) to be hanged.

img_2440

Meanwhile, a very different kind of protest was going on across the street.

Follow TWI’s Tea Party coverage all day today on Twitter.

Follow Aaron Wiener on Twitter

Comments

Roger Ailes
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:05 am

Someone should tell Timmy McVeigh Jnr. that Secretary of State Clinton is no longer in Congress.

telfish
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:07 am

Looks like a load of unemployed hippies to me. Go get a job, maybe then you can pay some taxes to whilne about.

Eric
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:07 am

The funniest, smartest response so far, especially to the schlock-chocked ‘Tea Party Anthem:’

CLS
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:16 am

They should change the name to the “I will never, ever get laid” protest.

DD
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:16 am

I'll be going to work first, then to my Albuquerque Tea Party. Maybe if some of these hadn't LOST their jobs, they'd be at work, today too!

DD
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:19 am

Whether Hillary's in D.C., Arkansas, or any other continent on the globe, the SUBJECT of the poster is TREASON, Roger!!

justnick
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:22 am

I doubt they're hippies. Hippies protest useful things like the end of wars and civil rights.
Not paying their share.

James Douglass
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:24 am

We are just warming up for the 2010 mid-term elections. The people I saw in the photos above were anything but out of work worthless “hippies”. They appeared to me to be angry Americans digging in their heels at being dragged down the road to socialism.
The ones who are ashamed of themselves are those in the photo wanting Bagram & Gitmo closed. They are probably on the payroll of people that should be looked into…

Jim in Kansas
Garden City, Kansas

DD
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:31 am

Just call me a hippie chick, justnick. I'll be protesting the “Un-War-On-Terror” for the foreign entanglement that it is, as well as DC squashing the right to life, freedom of worship, the right to keep and bear arms and to CHOOSE for myself where I want my tax contribution to go to benefit Americans FIRST!

Adam Rakunas
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:34 am

It's probably a vintage poster.

ddc
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:42 am

Please explain what any of the people named on that poster have done to commit treason. Did they illegally wiretap unknowing Americans? Did they suspend the 1st Amendment, unknowing to America's citizens? Did they torture folks? Did they start an illegal and unjustified war? Did they have 4000+ of our young men and women in uniform killed to futher their illegal and unjustified war? Did they give no-bid, billiion dollar contracts to their friends at Halliburton & KBR? Did their friends who received these no-bid contracts install showers that electrocuted and killed our young men and women in uniform? 'Cause, you know, that was the Bush administrations' folks.

Devilstower
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:45 am

Ten to one he had his mother write that sign for him.

chris
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:47 am

if some of these MORONS had not voted TWICE for the former LOSER at 1600……maybe they would have jobs to go to?

Robx
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:47 am

I'm proud of these people. They care and they're making an effort to change things for the better.

mwrr26
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:47 am

Why are republicans so out of shape?

Bobbie
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:55 am

It's about the constitution and debt to future generation. You're an idiot

DD
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:56 am

You are correct ddc, let's THROW THE REPUBLICRATS OUT!
Besides the issues I mentioned in my “hippie chick” comment, how about ALL OF THEM IN ALL THREE BRANCHES OF GOVERNMENT from 8 years ago up to through Obama's first 100 days, agreeing to foreign courts presiding over American citizens, paying (with MY tax money) for illegal aliens' health care, when I have to pay over $300/month for medical insurance, paying for illegal aliens' college education when my daughters have to take out student loans AND work to pay for theirs. Get off the 2-Party merry-go-round.

bobbie06
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:56 am

They are Americans that love their country and realize what the debt will do to future generations. Why don't you check it out rather than critize.

bobbie06
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:00 am

AMEN TO THAT.

bobbie06
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:06 am

I didn't vote for Bush and I didn't vote for Obummer. Turns out I was right on both fronts. These morons you refer to are hardworking Americans that care about this country. I guess you're okay with the debt we're passing on to future generations.

bix
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:10 am

I just don't even know where to begin. These people are angry at Obama for passing the stimulus package after Bush spent eight years going from a surplus to the greatest deficit in history (and that's not even counting that pesky “War on Terror”). And what about the fact that the Republicans started this whole bailout trend in the first place. I try to be open minded, but I can only assume that these people are misinformed, intolerant and bigoted, or masochistic.

And, DD, since when did anybody get to choose how their tax money is spent. I sure don't like my tax money going to support pointless foreign engagements, abstinence-only education in Africa, the death penalty, Lehman Bros, Gitmo, etc … but, that's democracy for ya.

TK
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:12 am

I agree with you Robx. I wish I could have come today, but I am working all day! My parents (who are retired) are out there. It's funny to see how everyone on this site claims, “they should get a job.” Most of the people attending the rallies are former veterans, or those who are retired, some are even schoolchildren on spring break. It's sad to see how others can criticize. Most of the sites have failed to mention that not only are conservatives attending the tea parties, but so are liberals and independents. These demonstrations are not about party affiliation, they are about what's important for America. We can't afford these bailouts.

bizmark
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:14 am

Idiots! Taxes are no higher now than they were under Bush and will be lower. On the Stimulus, EVERY economist agreed that had to be done. Some said it needed to be a lot more more but Congress wouldn't vote for more so we couldn't do that. Think, people! I realize reality has absolutely Nothing to do with any of this. It's all about being sore election losers. And that is a fact.

Ben
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:15 am

To the ignorant people that post comments criticizing the protest. Educate yourself first.
This is a mixed party protest.

This protest is about:
Saying YES to fair, low taxes!
Saying YES to strict term limits!
Saying YES to clean sheet zero-based budgeting!
Saying YES to eliminating the pork!
Saying YES to eliminating the IRS!
Saying YES to ending cushy government pensions!
Saying YES to eliminating bureaucracy!
Saying YES to eliminating political parties!
Saying YES to securing the borders!
Saying YES TO RECLAIMING AMERICA AS THE LAND OF THE FREE AND LAND OF OPPORTUNITY!

Pelamela
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:15 am

Tea baggers protesting lower taxes? Looking at the faces involved, it looks more like a Nazi convention to me!

jason
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:16 am

irrational thinking is a value treasured by many, it seems.

bizmark
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:17 am

I'm amazed! They are doing nothing at all except showing they don't like having a Democrat in office. All these same issues were in place under Bush, even the Stimulus. Please explain further what you are proud of. We all have a right to protest in this country. But you really do need a reason. These people don't have one.

not a crazy republican
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:18 am

Literally 10's of crazies gathered to tea bag each other.

Michelle
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:24 am

Good to see real patriots still alive in this arrogant country. They must all be Republicans – the words are spelled correctly.

bizmark
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:25 am

Interesting. I'm sure most of the people at these tea parties don't realize all those issues are being protested. It sounds like they're just a forum for anyone who is dissatisfied about anything. Well, I'm upset about prisoners at Guantanamo, warrantless wiretapping, Bush/Cheney getting off scott free, Republican obstructionism, Fox News promoting (not reporting) Republicans while dissing all Democrats, lack of health care for many people and high costs of health care and I also want to reclaim America as the land of the FREE and OPPORTUNITY. None of us get everything we want. I suffered through GW Bush as president now you have to STF up and accept reality for a while.

Ben
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:25 am

So You are saying that millions of people attending the tea parties in over 700 cities around the U.S. are going out there for no reason whatsoever?

I'm sorry my uneducated friend. Visit any of the Teaparty websites online and spend 5 minutes reading, and then maybe you'll have an understanding.

Robx
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:26 am

Why are you people calling these protesters idiots and nazis? For the last 8 years all I heard was how healthy dissent was. Now it's not?

HardDraw
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:27 am

Wow! Clinton is still in congress.I guess I need to wakeup & smell the coffee.But uninform much ,they are all Faux news viewers.Is it any wonder the gentleman holding the sign has Cltinton as a member of congress.

E
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:28 am

I was just there (during lunch from my job) and its honest hard working Americans- they are not protesting “taxes” which so many leftys would like to think- but the ever growing government and reckless spending which is causing increasing debt (3 months of Obama = 1 term of Bush) which will inevitably cause HIGHER TAXES. Its not here yet, but at the rate congress and obama are spending it will be.
These are well read people who read Ayn Rand, Mark Levin, and dare I say it…history books. They know what “Don't Tread on Me” flag really means.

Not seeing what this cause it really about it is only hurting yourself, and America

Barry O
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:28 am

Thr only people dumber than these protesters are people posting here.

Robx
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:28 am

What in the world would suggest to you that these people are Nazis?

chris
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:28 am

the man has only been there 3 MONTHS, it is going to take some time and some brains.

bizmark
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:30 am

Try thinking about how a prolonged Depression would affect future offspring. Because that's what Obama (and Bush) has saved us from with the Stimulus. As a result of his and Congress efforts the economy can start coming back and the increased income will generate more taxes to get the budget straightened out. See? That's why the Pres has to ignore people who don't want America to succeed. The rest of us do want to succeed. He will ignore all these people because it's the right thing to do.

Tyshea
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:32 am

I have to agree with Chris and ddc these people are complaining about our current president and he has only been in office for 100 days. People need to realize he didnt create this problem it was dumped in his lap when he took over from our old president who sent our young men and woman to be killed for a lie because the war was a lie i didnt see any weapons of mass destruction or anything like that. People are so quick to blame our new president and dont think about we start having these economic issues from the last president that they kept in office for 2 straight terms to do more damage. Now the old president who created the problem is out of office and he has his money. Really People come on I do agree taht the government should not use our tax money to bailout companies like A.I.G who heard people caused their company to fall and then wanted to still give high priced bounes to the same individuals who are bringing the comapny into the ground. But atleast give our current president a chance to fix the problem that was dumped into his lap and it cant be done overnight it takes time.

Wacky
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:34 am

These tea parties were never meant to be for one party or against another, they're to bring attention to how those in power abusing their positions and wasting taxpayer money. WE voted them in, WE need to call them out on the mess they've all worked to create, and then WE need to vote for others to replace them! Oh…and I don't recall where our country was founded on a bipartisan system anyway, why not bring more ideas to the table. Surely there must be more than two people with a plan. (And please don't call me Shirley.)

E
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:35 am

spending the same amount of money as Bush in less time isn't “solving the problem that was dumped in his lap”. And asking for 83 billion more $$ from congress for Iraq and Afghanistan still isnt saving money for “supporting a lie”
the double standard here is laughable

Ben
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:38 am

I have the same right to speak my mind freely as you. If you don't like the facts, you have the right not to listen. Be upset if you want to, but the prisoners in Guantanamo should stay there, not be released in our country being supported on our welfare system. I don't agree with everything that the Bush administration has done, or with the Libs in congress that were at fault with the majority of it. Fox news is the one station that has a politically right view, while ALL other media markets are FAR FAR FAR LEFT on every issue, and use there media outlets to condemn all conservatives, dig up into a republican's past as they stay satisfied with what lies on the surface for democrats. We have the best health care system in the world. Letting the government get involved with that will destroy it, and reduce the available treatments to patients. I can go on all day and I should. Unfortunately I have business to attend to.

Patriot 1
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:39 am

Dear Bizmark ,(Apropriate name being that it sunk!)
Get your facts straight before condemnation. The TEA Party has NO political ties to Republican, Democrat or Libertarian. It is ALL of America, except you, that is fed up with over-sized and growing, government and gross overspending. It is Americans afraid of losing our CONSTITUTION to Obama's Socialism. It is TRILLIONS of dollars being spent that will NEVER get repaid. It is Americans against Congressional spending bills that NEVER GET READ but passed because Obama says so. Remember our Constitution and Declaration of Independence??? Well today Congress, Pelosi, Reed, and Obama are dismantling them as I write. Sore looser, you bet I am along with the rest of American citizens.

Robx
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:40 am

You forgot to say that you were also angry about not being able to marry your boy friend (legally).

Ben
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:40 am

Your right, you aren't a crazy republican, just an immature, uneducated, useless Lib

Patriot 1
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:41 am

Dear Bizmark et al. ,(Apropriate name being that it sunk!)

Ben
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:41 am

We can't get started on that now. That will just open the door to many other issues. Like polygamy, and incest.

Travis
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:44 am

I too suffered through eight years of Bush. Too much spending and letting a liberal congress and senate have their way. I spoke out then also. I will certainly not STF up now just because I disagree with this president also. What an ignorant baffoon you are to assume that just because we oppose this rush to socialism that we are fans of Bush and the Republicans. Fox news slanted???….probably….but trying looking at the major three and CNN. They are ballast to the other side of the boat. Does that mean I support them being biased….absolutely not…but I would not single them out for criticism without being honest enough to point to the others also. People of your ilk have no intellectual honesty at all.

Robx
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:46 am

He will ignore them at his party's peril. We're sick of other people giving away our hard-earned money.

Ben
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:52 am

Thank you Travis for reinforcing my comments. There are not enough educated people out there, but after today, we shall see that changing. I usually have a comment or two a day I post at twitter. You could follow by searching for EducateThenVote.

Travis
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:54 am

EVERY economist???? Really???? There are MANY economists who thought nothing should be done and MANY more who thought maybe we should do something, but not what they were planning and eventually did.

You should not be so naive as to believe the absolutes preached by the mainstream media propagandists. Of course, researching something before you prove yourself either an idiot or a liar wouldn't hurt either. And yes, I check the things reported by FOX just as much as I check those you hear on CNN and the big three. I watch some of all of them and verify things reported by ALL of them.

Ben
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:55 am

Yourself included.

Robx
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:56 am

oh, you're right. :)

J Zah
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:57 am

I hear that DD. The ones who are saying these protesters are idiots are the ones who think they are benefiting from government programs.

Tax Day Tea Party » Midday update (ongoing)
Pingback posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:00 pm

[...] Washington, D.C.: Shades of 1970’s paranoia from Inside the Beltway. And scenes from the event via the Washington Independent. [...]

Robx
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:00 pm

Right on! Who would vote for an empty suit over a war hero?? I'm sore too!

Travis
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:01 pm

At least you started off honestly. You clearly don't know where to begin.

Try starting here: Bush=Bad does not mean Obama= good

Would love for you to explain why disagreeing with the fiscal policies of BOTH Bush and Obama or either one of them means you are intolerant, bigoted and/or masochistic. That is pure hate-speech to distract from honest debate instead of honestly engaging the issues and does nothing to advance a productive discourse let alone resolution.

bobbie06
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:02 pm

You don't know there would be a prolonged recession … Roosevelt's New Deal prolonged the depression … the war brought us out of it. O'Bama is putting us into debt that will cost us deeply. Remember he promised the pork would stop and didn't have the balls to stand up to Pelosi and her cronies. And then we have a stimulus bill no one read which is preposterous. It was pushed through on the basis the world was coming to an end. Live in your dream world. The reality is we can't continue to print money and borrow from foreign governments. If you don't get that … then you don't want our country to succeed. Big government is not the solution and fascism is not my cup of tea.

Robx
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:03 pm

You need glasses. These are America's finest. I'll be joining them in about an hour here in Florida.

Common Sense for the Senseless
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:05 pm

“The TEA Party has NO political ties to Republican, Democrat or Libertarian.”

Tell that to Newt Gingrich and Dick Armey, who along with a bunch of right-wing financiers, are funding this movement of a few dozen wingnuts.

You should also tell that to the 60% of Americans who thibk their taxes are fair, and not excessive.

The only sore loser(note the correct spelling) is you and the tiny number of people who are out protesting the lowest tax rates in decades for most Americans and a return to the tax trates we had 10 years ago for the wealthy, which is still much lower than they were under Saint Reagan.

Travis
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:08 pm

You are an idiot. Obama is in office because people like me and those protesting today refused to vote for a Republican who was likely to give us more of what Bush gave us. You are correct that much of this was in place under Bush. That doesn't mean it was right then either! You see, for some of us this is about more than supporting a party or a person. It is about right and wrong. It was wrong then and is still wrong now. The only difference is that the scale of Obama's plans are escalating these travesties so wildly and so rapidly that it is a catalyst for motivating people to finally say…enough.

bobbie06
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:13 pm

You're right, he didn't create it and it was dumped in his lap. He had a chance to make a difference … instead he proceeded to triple the debt, print money with no backing and further obligate this country to China. Who would have thought he could out do George Bush in three months. God Help Us.

JS05
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:14 pm

Wow. You just can't let them win. If nobody notices or supports them, they are irrelevant. If they are able to attract big name coverage and support, they are corporately sponsored or something like that. And, since you obviously can't count, it's actually more than the “tiny, few dozen” that you claim… maybe the fact that you can't count is the reason that you aren't bothered by trillions of dollars in national debt?

bobbie06
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:16 pm

Then that make you a dummy.

bobbie06
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:17 pm

Exactly what we're trying to prevent.

Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:24 pm

How exactly do you let some one win who has already lost and is bitter about it? I never said nobody supports them, in fact I said the opposite. What I was pointing out was the fact that these protests are so far sparsely attended which shows a lack of interest by anyone not already opposed to Obama's agenda.

These protests are composed of the 30% of people who dissapprove of Obama, which not conicidentally, is the exact same number of people who still think Bush was a good president.

Look at the pictures, not one of them shows a crowd larger than a few hundred. As evidenced by all the polling available, Obama's policies are supported by most Americans. As evidenced by the signs being carried by the protestors, these people are right-wing fringe wingnuts who are pissed that they lost the election and don't even know what they are protesting.

bobbie06
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:24 pm

Amen

Robx
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:25 pm

I hope you don't actually believe polls. The result of a poll corresponds to whatever purpose the agency that sponsored it wants.

The results are prompted by questions like:

Do you think taxes are extremely unfair, question their legality, and want to register a complaint with your local government?

Or Do you think taxes are about about right and fair?

Obviously most people would answer as guided.

RR
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:28 pm

If they were Natzis they would be in favor of the current facist administration. Now we really know you are as stupid as you write. Take time out from watching your reality shows and if you can read try reading a history book, or learn different political systems you will realize what a tard you are.

JS05
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:34 pm

If anybody was accepting reality, we wouldn't be spending our grandchildren into debt. The Bush administration is partly to blame for that, which is one reason why so many people ran to the other side. But where has it gotten us? Study Hegel, and controlled conflict.

“What we think we see is often an illusion intentionally presented, like the conjuror who would have you to believe he holds an orange in his right hand, when it is actually in his left hand. Citizens of the world, whether their sympathies are left-wing or right-wing, monarchist or republican, have been used as pawns in their game of Hegelian psychology by the hidden hand that rules.”

Stop thinking within the two party system. Wake up see the real reality, before it is too late.

Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:34 pm

Oh boy, here we go again, “because the polls don't say what I wnat them to say, they must be biased” A lame excuse for a lame argument.

People made the same argument last year when polling showed Obama winning the election for all but 1 week, how'd that work out for them? 2008 was the most accurate year of election polling ever.

You can see the question posed to respondent's for most major pollsters, and they are nothing like what you suggest. Polling is a mathematical science that is accurate more than 90% of the time. Like any science, it is not always correct. Whether the real number is 60%, 65% or 55%, the range of possible outcomes all show one thing: the majority of the public is nowhere near where these folks at the tea parties are when it comes to the issues they think they are protesting.

luckyirishgoddess
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:40 pm

Millions? No way. Maybe a few thousand nationwide, but no way will millions show up for this stupidity.
You just received a tax cut. What more do yo require? You're lucky if you still have a job that pays well enough for you to owe taxes!

RR
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:41 pm

This is an opposition to our FEDERAL GOVERNMENT!! Not to Obama. Obama is only the figure head which shows how ignorant you are as to how our government works. I have opposed all presidents since 1913 which is when taxes began to be taken and when the blackhole called the Federal Reserve started printing. NO MORE TAX WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!! THE PRINTING PRESS NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN. Mind you that is why the Revolutionary War was fought. This is a revolt!!!!!!!!!! WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:43 pm

um, i was at this protest during my working lunch hour, and i am not a right-wing fringe wingnut (whatever that means)

I am a concernded American for the rapid pace for which our government is growing, spending, and increasing its alreay staggering debt. Concerned enough to walk a mile to the Whie House in a POURING rain and take an hour out of my day to speak my voice.

from what I gather from your comment, you don't even know what you are supporting if you cant even see why 2000 of these “sparsely attended” are going on today all over the country

Todd
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:47 pm

That is because about 50% of Americans don't even pay taxes, they are actually a drain on society. They are the ones that think they pay the right amount of taxes.

JS05
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:47 pm

I was a Ron Paul supporter, and when the media ignored him, everybody said he “couldn't” win, and that he was some kind of fringe candidate. Now that some of his predictions have come true, and [some of] the media is listening to his ideas, the idea are corporately sponsored, or something like that.

And I minored in statistics. One of the first rules of statistics is that causation does not equal correlation.

Wow. 10 minutes ago there were only a few dozen. Now it's [only] a few hundred [which is somehow simultaneously equal to 30% of the population?], and the tea parties aren't even over yet!!!

Todd
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:51 pm

Those of us who have to work to support the welfare life of the Obama constituency can not go until after work hours. I am sure the crowds will grow when people who have jobs and actually pay taxes and not just sit around on blog sites all day spouting off about how they despise those of us who are necessary to support them.

Ketter
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:51 pm

lol. Fox News dittoheads.

Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:52 pm

Compare that to the hundreds of thousands who were on the streets protesting the war over the course of several years. Compare that to the several million who protested for immigration reform in 2006. Notice that even FOX news, which promoted the events, has not covered the events live at all in the last 3 hours.

I'm not supporting anything here, I'm pointing out with empirical evidence that this day of protest is a flop, you can always find a few people willing to walk a mile to the White House for almost any reason, but the proof is in the numbers(or lack thereof). If these protests attracted anything like the interest we've seen over the last few years for other causes, we would have seen a lot more participation. Unfortunately for you and your minority opinion, we did not.

Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:55 pm

John
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:56 pm

HANGING POLITICIANS!
BETTER THAN ELECTIONS ANY DAY!

Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:57 pm

Blah, blah , blah, all of your problems are because of poor people, I get it.

I never said I despised anyone, I am simply pointing out how sad and useless these protests turned out to be. You don't have to get angry about it.

Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 12:58 pm

Please cite your source for these statistics. I already know they are wrong, but I'd just like to see you flail around trying to prove them…

JS05
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:01 pm

“If Ron Paul were president right now, you might have a point, but since he isn't you don't.”

What does that mean?

“The polling was right about his chances, just like they were right about Obama's chances. Thanks for proving my point.”

The final outcomes did follow the polls predictions (and there could be many reasons for this, and some of the possible explanations are quite undemocratic). There were only discrete possibilities for outcomes. Chances are something else, and follow a more continuous spectrum. Probably only God knows what the chances were.

eean
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:06 pm

I love the sign pointing out that the Fed printing money will devalue SSI. Which might happen (though right now we're having deflation, so the worry is premature), its just ironic to see such a group of supposed anti-socialists protecting the value of SSI. These people don't even know what they're protesting.

E
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:08 pm

ignorance is bliss i suppose

Todd
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:08 pm

Pretty tough to argue with blah blah blah. Incidently, most people do not agree with Obama's policies. They approve of Obama from a popularity perspective. These same folks who I would contend did not know what they were voting for. Most never heard of Bill Ayers or Rev Wright. Many voted for him because of his race and nothing else. Also, My problem is not poor people, it is people who thinks the world owes them.

BurfordHolly
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:09 pm

“Fascism is the merger of the state and corporate power……”

Fascism = Fox news + GOP + Blackwater + Haliburton

Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:09 pm

You just invalidated your point even more by claiming that god is keeping score.

By that logic, God wanted Obama to win, which would fly in the face of the current prevailing wingnut theory.

If you had studied statistics as you claim, then you would know that the chances of an event occurring can be be figured out precisely by mathematics.

Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:10 pm

You are living proof of that my friend…

Betty
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:11 pm

He's had three months, and he's made things MUCH worse…spent more money, faster and more than ALL previous presidents during there WHOLE presidencies. So that covers the TIME…as far as the brains go..he hasn't shown ever a hint of one yet…only his desire for POWER AND SOCIALISM!!

We can't get them ALL out fast enough!!

Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:11 pm

Please, cite your sources. As I said above, I already know that you are wrong, I just want to see you try to prove it and make a fool of yourself.

Todd
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:13 pm

Hope I did not flail to long for you

smh3477
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:13 pm

These people are nuts.

Charlton Heston
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:13 pm

They can have my Teabag when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!

When Teabagging is outlawed, only outlaws will Teabag!

bobbie06
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:13 pm

Unfortunately, 33% of the people polled don't have a clue.

Andrew
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:14 pm

Wow, that was the weakest grassroots movement I have ever seen. It was so embarrassing and disheartening to see such a mediocre protest for something I I really care about. Perhaps other cities had better turnouts with less embarrassing crazies in their crowds.

Todd
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:16 pm

Rasmussen….care to quit. WHere are your numbers coming from? MSNBC?

Charlton Heston
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:16 pm

And think about the fact that Fox and Pajama Media and local State GOP offices where behind the push for this as well, and what happened? A few overweight white men showed up, not quite sure what they were protesting.

In short…

Epic fail!

Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:20 pm

Oh no you're flailing much as I predicted you would, because even your own source says that the number of people who don't pay taxes is not 50%. Like I said, I already knew you were wrong, I just wanted to see you make a fool of youself.

You padded the numbers to make your argument look better, and maybe you were betting that I couldn't read or something, but you should know that when you lie to make a point, you completely destroy your own credibility.

Thanks for the assist.

JS05
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:22 pm

Do you always take everything literally?

Is there a wingnut.com somewhere where I can go and lookup their theories? haha- there actually is, and they are hiring ;)

Theoretically, probabilities can be calculated for everything, but only if you have enough data to do the calculations (ie omniscience, ie God). Statistics can be calculated with less data, but is not as exact.

Todd
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:26 pm

“Polling is a mathematical science that is accurate more than 90% of the time.” With statements like that. I have got news for you, you are not going to win any debates. I was off by 9% and it does not account for the current unemployment rates. If 41% of the country is not paying taxes. Not one of them is going to complain about the amount of taxes they pay. I trust we can agree on that.

Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:29 pm

Rasmussen, with it's demonstrated 5% rightward lean in it's methodology. Riiiight.

Rasmussen only polls likely voters(even when there is no election) and weights its polling results to fit what it thinks the demographic breakdown of the country is. While every other pollster except Zogby(aka The Worst Pollster in the World) polls the number of Republicans at about 25%, Rasmussen claims they are 35%. That exp[lains why their approval numbers for Obama are 5-7% lower than anyone else. Nice source.

The intellectually honest thing to do is to look at all of the polling, which you can do by going to any number of sites like 538 or pollster, which shows that an aggregate of all polls show that Obama's numbers on the economy are in fact well above 50%, and in some cases as high as 71%

Cherrypicking may have worked to get us into Iraq, but it won't work here.

Sorry buddy.
Fail.

The Tea Party Threat To The GOP… « In One Ear… Out the Other
Pingback posted April 15, 2009 @ 2:32 pm

[...] been watching pictures stream in all morning of all Tea Party protests and so far, they’ve pretty much confirmed my [...]

Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:34 pm

The very definition of flailing is trying to equate my statement of fact about the accuracy of polling with your blatant lie. Just FYI.

You may also want to know that the 9% you were “off by” (lied about) equals about 12 million taxpayers.

I hope it is as apparent to you as it is to me how little credibility you have when commenting about the accuracy of polling, they are rarely as “off” as you are right now in their numbers.

Todd
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:40 pm

Your using CNN. Hello. The gold standard in polling right. I guess we have the typical double standard in play here. you are upset that I sound mad in my post while you insult myself and others on the site. I am sure you are one of those that things the world revolves around them and only looks for fault in, and nit pics at others. You have nothing to do all day but post attacks to anyone who disagrees with your left ideology. That said, I need to get some work done. My stats are every bit as credible as you and your sources. Live with it.

Todd
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:45 pm

Typical, don't defend or address your own stats, just keep trying to shoot holes in others. Polling is dependent on sample size, standard deviation, etc. So saying accurate more than 90% of the time is probably the most ridculous thing I have read today. Don't discuss that though. That would make you look stupid. Keep focusing on others. That way you can say whatever you want and not have to account for any of it. You fit the liberal mold like a glove.

George
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:49 pm

At least the Guantanamo/Bagram protesters were hitting on the mark… still, after all these years.

Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:49 pm

Nope, as I said before, I'm using the averaged bumbers of all the available polling. Perhaps you should read my entire post before commenting next time. I cited the CNN poll because it is the most recent.

CNN publishes all of it's poll results with demographic breakdowns, and they do not weight their results. The polls are conducted by an independent research firm, which has no connection to CNN's editors or producers.

Attacking the veracity of a polling organization with no facts to back it up is a pretty useless exercise, unless you have some evidence to cite that can prove it, I'll just disregard it. Your stats are as worthless as your arguments.

Attacking me because I pointed out how wrong you were is just about as useless. Remember, anger is the path to the dark side, and will never win you an argument.

alan
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:52 pm

Barber shop singers. This movement is going to be huhuhuhuuuuugge!

Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 1:58 pm

You can check each and every major pollster, including Rasmussen, and they will say the exact same thing about their accuracy (in fact, Rasmussen claims 95% accuracy).

Don't you think it's a little bit hypocritical to use statistics to make a point from a pollster that claims 95% accuracy when you think that accuracy number is “the most ridiculous thing” you've read today?

You can't have it both ways and expect anyone to take you seriously (though I doubt that they do after you were caught lying).

I realize that you are upset at being caught in a lie, but deflection is a poor tactic to use to try to cover it up.

BurfordHolly
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 2:01 pm

Isn't Obama's budget pretty much the same as Bush's except that he put Iraq in the budget which Bush always kept OFF THE BOOKS?

The first step to getting a real budget is to get away from the chronic financial lies of the Bush years.

Thaddeus Hale
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 2:08 pm

It's very interesting that you took your lunch hour to express your outrage today. However, have you been expressing that outrage the last eight years as billions of dollars have been wasted on a war that shouldn't have been authorized nor fought? Have you been outraged that the last administration wasted a substantial budget surplus through increased spending that was unnecessary? If not, why are you outraged now?

Reed
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 2:08 pm

spoken by a career student, that did not pay back government loans, lives with parents AND DOESN'T PAY TAXES……. Google search Fascism, go to the Public Library , then get a passport and move to an already establishes Socialistic country instead of trying to Change ours, If you are not part of the solution you obviously want the OBAMANATION to continue.
P.S. He lied to you too! You will get nothing and love it

ynot
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 2:14 pm

“a career student, that did not pay back government loans, lives with parents AND DOESN'T PAY TAXES”

See under: “Loser”

Reed
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 2:18 pm

Last administration? CONGRESS AND CONGRESS ONLY passes the budget and the pork, WHO WAS IN CHARGE? The president has very little power in the budget process. Look at the last budget passed. OBAMA promised line by line scrutinity, Pelosi, Reed and the rest loaded it up and made OBAMA a LIER, he could have VETOED but did not.

bradman
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 2:30 pm

All white people.

painless
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 7:33 pm

“The war brought us out of it”…

From an economic perspective, WW2 was a ginormous federal spending program, which tremendously raised the national debt. Would you feel better about federal stimulus if we used it to fight another World War?

Laura
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 2:36 pm

It makes no sense to protest spending unless you have a plan for what you believe needs to be cut. Typical Fox base dreck. “There's only one voice in America! Mine!”

SpireaX
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 2:42 pm

Well, let's see. Fox News has encouraged this so-called “movement” and we pretty much know that they're the propaganda arm of the Republican Party. Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity…all GOP supporters have been blabbing on the radio and TV about this. Don't give us the BS that these tea parties don't have any political ties to the Republican party. I mean I realize that your party is the party of lies, disingenuous claims and outright contradictions but please, even your rant strains the credibility bar set very low by your idols.

The Rest of America
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 2:47 pm

How much of the current budget would you say is “pork”. Earmarks, as odious as they can be, only make up 1 or 2 percent of any budget that is passed.

Of course, Bush cooked his budget by leaving the true cost of the Iraq War off of his final tally.

SpireaX
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 2:48 pm

What a bunch of sore losers. One lady is holding a sign asking for Obama's real birth certificate? I mean really…enough of this nonsense. I guess now that we have a President that actually honors the spirit of the Constitution, works with domestic and foreign leaders and is trying to correct 8 years of budgetary shenanigans such as not including the price tag of two wars as in the previous Bush's budgets, these people are unhappy.

They'd been deluded into this train of thinking that somehow, aggressive foreign excursions, being misled by President Bush about the state of our economy, the discredited theory of supply side economics and that liberty and safety can’t go hand in hand, is truly the American way.

And notice that all these protestors are clearly Caucasians. Just an observation but I really think these folks have lost all logic. I pity them

Gary Williams
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 2:48 pm

“It appears that conservatism has pathological dimensions manifested in violence and distorted psycho-sexual development” (Boshier, 1983, p. 159). This is supported by a study conducted by Walker, Rowe, and Quincey (1993) in which there was a direct correlation between authoritarianism and sexually aggressive behavior. An investigation done by Muehlenhard (1988) revealed that rape justification and aggression toward subordinate individuals was much higher in traditional (conservative personality) than non-traditional personalities. It is postulated in this paper that the offender has a conservative personality and, therefore, manifests that violence.”

“Yes, the research shows they are very aggressive, but why are they so hostile? Yes, experiments show they are almost totally uninfluenced by reasoning and evidence, but why are they so dogmatic? Yes, studies show the Religious Right has more than its fair share of hypocrites, from top to bottom; but why are they two-faced, and how come one face never notices the other? Yes, their leaders can give the flimsiest of excuses and even outright lies about things they've done wrong, but why do the rank-and-file believe them? What happens when authoritarian followers find the authoritarian leaders they crave and start marching together? I think you'll find this book “explains a lot.

Many scattered impressions about the enemies of freedom and equality become solidified by science and coherently connected here.” http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/

The Rest of America
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

Um, in the last five Presidential elections, the candidate who actually served in the actual military LOST. Bush 1 (WWII), Dole (WWII), Gore (Vietnam), Kerry (Vietnam), McCain (Vietnam).

Maybe this whole “only a military man should be Commander in Chief” talking point should be put aside.

Matt
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 2:52 pm

Exactly, that is why I went to my local tea party and was very disappointed. I saw the people had nothing to say about the debt incurred over the last 25 years, and lots to say about Obama's birth certificate, communism, muslims, etc.. So I left. I was a Ron Paul supporter and am socially to the left. I felt the message had been co-opted by a very authoritarian Fox News crowd. Hannity talking about the tea parties calls himself a libertarian (a foreign war loving, Bush defending, Patriot Act supporting, tell me what I can smoke, who I can sleep with, corporate tool libertarian, ha). The original idea behind the protests was great in reality I found them to be a joke.

CrismaFire
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 2:56 pm

look at all the white comments the ugly head of prejudice rears its head, Maybe other races care about America too then again maybe not.. Once before America had a bad government (England) and Americans kicked their butt. We will do again if neccessary after all look at the jokes running our government now hardly a threat.

Charlie
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 3:07 pm

Someone needs to tell these people that the election is over. They lost. Badly.

Charlie
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 3:14 pm

Please. Continue to ignore polls. Stay in your echo chamber. That way, I guarantee you'll be losing elections for years to come.

Gary Williams
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 3:18 pm

What? You're arguing that fascism equals socialism with the very man who created/invented the fascist ideology in the first place? See… This is why people call conservatives stupid and ignorant. Mussolini, the creator of fascism, was quoted for an Italian encyclopedia editor who wanted to use his definition for the new (back then) entry in encyclopedias for “Fascism”.
Mussolini was quoted saying “Fascism is the direct opposite of socialism”. Yet your going to argue with El Duce himself that fascism is the same as socialism because Hitler, while still a politician looking for votes back in the late 20s, named his party NSDAP…with the “S” standing for “Socialist”.
This means absolutely nothing…or at least as much as the GDR (East Germany) was democratic, or any of the thousands of other parties that have since used words like “Democratic” or “Free” to mask tyrannical intentions at home and abroad. Fascism and Socialism are diametrically opposed ideologies which is why Hitler and Stalin fought and suffered the majority of causalities during the Second World War.
This push to make fascism left-wing can be traced to the far-right Zionists who cannot deny their place on the left-right scale and so have pushed to have Hitler's ideology moved over to the left so comparisons between Zionism and Nazism would seem harder to make than it actually is. And here's a link to an Einstein letter to the NYTimes (1948) <http://www.yayacanada.com/einstein_ltr_fascism….> saying much the same thing.
So unless you're stupid enough to argue with both Einstein and Mussolini about the nature of fascism, then I suggest you stick your head where the rest of your brain resides.

John
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 3:24 pm

They lost the election, badly, and they'll lose the next one even worse, because it's becoming ever clearer that these people are sick and scary. Obama 2012.

Wacky
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 3:26 pm

Personally, I found the idea of the tea party a wonderful concept: Shed light on the frightening direction in which our country is heading. It's our right to protest, no matter the reason. But ALL of the media clouded things, as they do so well, and I notice the vast majority of negative comments here reflect exactly what the media puppets feed us. This isn't about any one person or party, regardless of race. Why not just band together for the sake of our country and it's well being? There once was a time when everyone truly loved the USA, not just their little piece of it. Will that patriotism ever return? I challenge anyone to look at the state of the economy and all the bailouts and say “Yes, this is a good thing. I love how the government is taking over private industry and cannot wait to see where they intrude next!” While the tea parties may not have been a rousing success, they weren't an overwhelming failure either.

linkfeedr » Blog Archive » Protest v. Protest - RSS Indexer (beta)
Pingback posted April 15, 2009 @ 4:28 pm

[...] First, Republican teabagging, courtesy of Aaron Weiner from The Washington Independent: [...]

justinslot
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 3:32 pm

Those FedReserve/Godfather shirts are awesome though.

zoe kentucky
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 3:36 pm

Does anyone else find it interesting that after weeks (months?) of free publicity from FoxNews, many GOP leaders, as well as Beck, Limbaugh, and Hannity all promoting the National Day of Teabagging that all they could get was a few thousand people in cities like DC or Chicago? Is this the best they can do? This is their show of strength of a surging “silent majority” movement?

It's all kind of sad, really.

nola
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 3:42 pm

That is such complete crap. Every person in America who buys anything at all at any store, restaurant, etc., pays tax. Give me a break.

It's true, some people who make very little money (and none of it from investment income, which is taxed regardless of your income level) do not pay federal income tax. There is also state income tax, of course, and all of the user taxes that are built into our system, from city stickers, vehicle registration, fees for other municipal and county services, etc etc. This is all on top of the sales tax (state, county, and municipal) that is found in one shape or form across the country.

Wacky
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 3:43 pm

It is sad because Fox was the only station to offer legitimate reports. Had CNN or the MSM given any coverage in preparation I'm sure turnout would have been more successful. But boy were they falling over themselves to report on the first dog. Give me a break! Then again, with jobs fading fast in my area I may chalk part of the failure up to the fact that if we don't show up for work there might not be work for us when we return!

james
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 4:12 pm

bunch of racists backwater hicks looks like to me.

james
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 4:15 pm

They all have sand in their vag's.

thhalejr
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 9:17 pm

Betty,
Your math is off. President Obama has been in office less than 100 days and has inherited an economy that is as close to a depression as it can be since 1929. All economists, liberal and conservative, agree that government spending brings governments out of economic recessions. The president is doing what he has to do in order to stimulate the economy back to viability.

Have you been complaining over that last 8 years with the deficit spending that’s been going on for a war that hasn’t yielded any productive results other than eroding our country’s reputation around the world? Also, could you please define for me what Socialism is, because I hear a lot of people throwing that term around but don’t know if they actually know the meaning of the economic system?

Matt
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 9:44 pm

Exactly, that is why I went to my local tea party and was very disappointed. I saw the people had nothing to say about the debt incurred over the last 25 years, and lots to say about Obama’s birth certificate, communism, muslims, etc.. So I left. I was a Ron Paul supporter and am socially to the left, and felt the message had been co-opted by a very authoritarian Fox News crowd. Hannity talking about the tea parties calls himself a libertarian (a foreign war loving, Bush defending, Patriot Act supporting, tell me what I can smoke, who I can sleep with, corporate tool libertarian, ha). The original idea behind the protests was great in reality I found them to be a joke.

Maddie
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 4:53 pm

maybe that's why the country is in such bad shape & other countries are bitch slapping us on a daily basis…well its only been on a daily basis since our first foreign born president has taken office

Selected Reading « The Bleeding Heart Show
Pingback posted April 15, 2009 @ 6:05 pm

[...] at the Washington Independent went to take pictures of the right-wing ‘tea parties’ in DC. In case you’re interested, this is by far my favourite placard. Don’t know what [...]

Boudleaux
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 5:19 pm

Let's see. Your problem is that this “grass roots” effort suffered because of the lack of free advance publicity from anyone in organized commercial media, other than the one major news network that came up with the whole “idea” in the first place.

I had not previously realized that that is the way grass roots political action was supposed to work.

You'll notice, anyway, that this gang of a few thousand incoherent yahoos nationwide received about as much press from the “MSM” as the tens of millions of war protesters did in 2003. And whether you agree or not, at least those protesters had a coherent point, as in, “we oppose the war.” Here, what is the point? We protest our own tax cut? Obama is both a fascist, and its diametric opposite, a socialist?

And finally, if by “legitimate reports” you mean Fox' actively participating by labeling the President of the United States a “fascist,” I suppose you have a point.

Otherwise, you are an extremely dim specimen.

Anon
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 5:54 pm

You seem to believe “had [other networks] given any coverage,” there would be more turnout. This strikes me as backwards: there must first be turnout in order for there to be an event to cover.

dave
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 6:06 pm

everybody is white there, aren't they?

Wacky
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 6:29 pm

I won't take the same stance as others and sling names around. It's come to my attention over the last few years that those proclaiming tolerance are those loudest to speak against opinions of others. And I'm far from dim, thank you.

I have never considered the tea parties to be about Obama. It's far larger than that. This mess started way before he ever took office and has snowballed ever since. My political views are my own and I won't share them. Rest assured, I believe members of both executive AND legislative branches of government, regardless of party, are responsible for this mess. In my opinion, the point of the tea party is to draw attention to the fact that spending is out of control, government is on a power trip, and as a tax paying American citizen, I want my representatives to know I don't like it. Now those in the media may turn it around to fit their own agenda, but that's how I feel, for what it's worth.

I agree with you that war protesters have had their coherent point. The thing is that these tea parties are following the same path. All protests start small and with lots of little ideas surrounding a main theme, eventually gelling into something large enough for all to take notice. I do hope the tea party idea follows suit.

When I spoke of legitimate reports by Fox vs. MSM, I was merely pointing out the fact that MSM devoted way too much time to the dog even before it was brought home. Perhaps if they had the pre-game shows similar to the dog, more demonstrators would have shown up. You are right at times, Fox does label Obama incorrectly. Wouldn't it be nice if there was truly a news program, or newspaper for that matter, where you could depend on getting a straight story? Absolutely no network can say they aren't yellow these days.

Wesley Mouch-Crusher
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 6:34 pm

Most of the signs were functionally equivalent to 'Get a Brain Morans' [sic].

Gregory Gardner
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 6:38 pm

You're crazy.

Coldstone
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 6:59 pm

A bit off topic, but: At what point can Fox news continue to tout it's ratings (second most watched cable channel recently in prime time behind USA network), and claim to not be MSM? If more people are watching Fox news than CNN – doesn't that make Fox the MSM?

P.
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 7:43 pm

Wow. There are so many minorities in that crowd. I wonder what all those white people could actually be angry about.

Ron
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 8:28 pm

The march of the penguins.

cinnamonape
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 8:33 pm

These were the same supporters of the “Privatize SSI” a few years ago…they wanted to put SSI into the hands of the same people that ran the financial institutions into the ground by gambling away the hard-earned investments of the working people of this country.

That's who this crowd is. Oh, of course they were going to get a huge tax break on that “privatization” since there was no longer going to be the “employers match”. Remember McCain also talking about cutting the “payroll tax” for businesses. What precisely are payroll taxes? They are the SSI, Medicare and Unemployment Insurance Contributions that businesses make.

I bet most of the people out there are well-to-do businessmen who want “their” taxes cut. Which means…our SSI, Unemployment Insurance and Medicare cut to the point of bankruptcy.

It’s not the Boston Tea Party « Mnemosyne Writes
Pingback posted April 15, 2009 @ 10:51 pm

[...] Scenes from the DC Tea Party: Round One [...]

Alex
Comment posted April 15, 2009 @ 11:13 pm

I borrowed some of the pictures for my blog post here (http://alexcacioppo.blogspot.com). Hope you all don't mind too much. To me these developments are like the anti-November 4, which made me feel proud to be a part of this country — versus this, which just inspires embarrassment.

Marea Bataie a Hamburgerilor (Part 1) « The Yankee Times
Pingback posted April 16, 2009 @ 2:13 am

[...] unui Mises sau Friedman, antrenand o dezbatere cu politicienii la fel de eminenti de stanga… Pana vezi cu cine ai de-a [...]

Derek
Comment posted April 16, 2009 @ 3:58 am

I attended a tea party in Miami and honestly it wasn't conservative, Republican or organized by Fox News (although liberals and Obama shills would love to think so). It was a protest against government in general; the GOP and the Democrats are to share the blame. Obama didn't cause this mess, but he is currently adding to it, just like the GOP did for the last 8 years. To label us as partisans is off point; it was an anti-government rally. Which is what this country needs. We all need to hold our elected officials accountable.

scoots
Comment posted April 16, 2009 @ 4:46 am

That guy is there every day, he did not come out specifically for the teabagging. (I am a tour guide and go past the north side of the White House regularly)

Gregory
Comment posted April 16, 2009 @ 4:50 am

Odd how looking at the pictures gives one the impression that the white people just want their country back. I wish them all kinds of luck with that.

JoeBuddha
Comment posted April 16, 2009 @ 5:47 am

I have a few questions about the “silent majority” and the howls of outrage represented by these tea baggers:
1) If they're the majority, why didn't they vote? Barack won handily!
2) Why don't they tell the pollsters about their dissatisfaction? Barack is still amazingly popular.
3) Where were they when Bush was slashing taxes and running up deficits to make even Reagan blush?
4) Also, where were they when Bush was shredding the Constitution and declaring that the President can do anything he damn-well pleases, thank-you very much and the people (and Congress) be damned?
Pathetic.

budzilla
Comment posted April 16, 2009 @ 6:08 am

Before such a sweeping statement may be made, one must look at the demographics of those filers paying no income tax:

* Single parents whose families are usually below the poverty line
* Young people or students who do not earn enough money to pay taxes

Compare that to the majority of billion-dollar corporations who pay no taxes and use the Caymans as their tax haven. Let's not begrudge those on the lower end of the income scale. My husband and I paid more than $80,000 in Federal Tax for 2008, and I have no problem with it being used for the good of the country.

Also, a quick review of macroeconomics will explain why a government must spend its way out of a recession or depression, unless you want 10 years of economic failure, as Japan experienced by refusing to implement government spending during the 90's.

budzilla
Comment posted April 16, 2009 @ 6:10 am

-(previous comment referring to earlier statements about “slackers” who pay no taxes)-

budzilla
Comment posted April 16, 2009 @ 6:12 am

This anti-government sentiment began about January 20, right?

Happy
Comment posted April 16, 2009 @ 8:00 am

Yup. The teabaggers really showed their stuff here. I'm convinced. They're teabaggers.

Brian
Comment posted April 16, 2009 @ 8:08 am

Does anyone else find it amusing when people who don't have an education beyond high school (if they even made it that far) tell other people who chose to put in the time and effort to actually get educated in how the world works that they're the ones who really know how the world works?

Horrible, Biased Teabagger Reporting « Teablogging
Pingback posted April 16, 2009 @ 3:29 pm

[...] Washington Independent: Scenes from the DC Tea Party: Round One [...]

Wacky
Comment posted April 16, 2009 @ 5:28 pm

exactly!

Wacky
Comment posted April 17, 2009 @ 6:36 am

No, not at all…it started years ago when Bush denied there was a problem with the economy. This isn't partisan!

Our Morning Roundup: Wingnuts and Their Teabags - City Desk - Washington City Paper
Pingback posted April 17, 2009 @ 9:10 am

[...] the Washington Independent’s Aaron Wiener, a Washington City Paper contributor who snapped some mighty fine tea party photos, Milbank managed to capture some funny slogans, the best of which leads us to our next item: [...]

budzilla
Comment posted April 17, 2009 @ 8:11 am

Good point!

Jake
Comment posted April 17, 2009 @ 10:48 am

One by one, ticking time bomb fun.
It's not the secret of the government that's keeping you down.
No it's the other way around, wait! what's that sound?
One by one baby here they come.

He want's it easy, he want it relaxed.
Said I can do a lot of things but I can't do that
Two steps forward, then three steps back.
Alright!

The end has no end. The end has no end. The end has no end. The end has no….. end.

Words from the “spoiled, college-student, lives with the parents, perpetual loser” generation that got Obama elected. Grow up.

Wacky
Comment posted April 17, 2009 @ 1:36 pm

budzilla
Comment posted April 17, 2009 @ 3:11 pm

Good point!

Jake
Comment posted April 17, 2009 @ 5:48 pm

One by one, ticking time bomb fun.
It's not the secret of the government that's keeping you down.
No it's the other way around, wait! what's that sound?
One by one baby here they come.

He want's it easy, he want it relaxed.
Said I can do a lot of things but I can't do that
Two steps forward, then three steps back.
Alright!

A few thoughts on “tea parties” | tax forms
Pingback posted April 18, 2009 @ 11:51 am

[...] (You can find more scenes from the recent D.C. “tea party” at the Washington Independent.) [...]

I promise I don’t hate white people | Life in the Middle Lane
Pingback posted September 21, 2009 @ 12:20 pm

[...] are illogical. Check your history, jackasses.) What are these protesters and other oppositionists thinking? These pictures just make them look as stupid as they [...]

Tea Party Opponents Say, "I've Got You Under My Skin" | The Barbican
Pingback posted April 13, 2010 @ 7:21 pm

[...] news.  Likewise were the Code Pinkers and the 9/11 Truthers.  These images were buried.  But these now seem to make the news regularly.  Interesting, that.  The likes of MSNBC and many others had [...]

kids educational toys
Trackback posted September 25, 2010 @ 1:09 pm

Buy Soft Toys & Childrens Toy online now!…

Thank you, finicky article….

safe weight loss
Trackback posted October 16, 2010 @ 12:53 am

Rapid weight loss plan and diets…

I absolutely agree. That is exactly how I understand it. Great!…

christmas crafts for children
Trackback posted October 18, 2010 @ 3:23 am

Buy Soft Toys & Childrens Toy online now!…

Hi I attempted to sign up to your RSS and the link seems to be broken. How can i get around this?…

trip reviews
Trackback posted October 18, 2010 @ 4:11 am

The Best Family Vacation Ideas – For Family Vocations…

I presently definite my email subscription! Credit!…

low carb diet plans
Trackback posted November 10, 2010 @ 9:03 am

Healthy diet plan…

My partner and i saw the following excellent blog post today related to your article……

low cost provider
Trackback posted November 18, 2010 @ 8:55 am

Best Medical Insurance – Cheap Health Insurance Quotes…

Out of the ordinary information. Credit on behalf of the info!…

low mortgage rates
Trackback posted November 20, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

Best mortgage rate today…

this is sooo cool….

muscle exercises
Trackback posted November 24, 2010 @ 9:41 am

Best Weight Loss and Health Fitness Exercise Tips…

Interesting site….

free online games
Trackback posted November 28, 2010 @ 11:53 am

Free Games Download – Free Games Online – Free PC Games…

EXACTLY what did you say? I’ve been looking on behalf of! Credit so much!…

cheap family holidays
Trackback posted December 3, 2010 @ 11:04 am

Best Family Holiday Travel Vacation Plan…

I have spent thousands bucks on TradeTang. a guy call dreamstage, fantastic….

unique invitation ideas
Trackback posted December 4, 2010 @ 11:33 am

Unique Wedding Ideas Planning…

Good job! THANKS! You guys do a great website, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. best regards,…

asset management tools
Trackback posted December 25, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

Latest Software Reviews, Software Recommendations & Software Comparison…

Superb article ,I really appreciated with it, This is fine to read and valuable pro potential,I really bookmark it, pro broaden read. Appreciation pro sharing.I like it….

fitness program
Trackback posted February 6, 2011 @ 11:17 am

Online Fitness Program and Weight Loss Exercise Plan…

Appreciation pro the suggestions and references information’s….

cheap lacoste polos
Comment posted April 24, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

, I want my representatives to know I don’t like it. Now those in the media may turn it around to fit their own agenda, but that’s how I feel, for what it’s worth.

ralph lauren polo shirt
Comment posted May 3, 2011 @ 6:33 pm

lacoste outlet
Comment posted May 25, 2011 @ 8:09 am

creative!i really like yuor article.

xuejiao wen
Comment posted May 26, 2011 @ 7:36 am

We have all been fond of office 2007 professional plus furniture haven’t we? With ms windows 7  designs available in all parts of Windows 7 Ultimate, Internet is one medium to choose the best Cheap Windows 7 at competitive prices and that too at a store near your Office 2010 Professional. Below http://hohosoftware.wordpress.com summarize some Microsoft Office 2010 to help you choose the best Office 2007 Enterprise for your corporate as well as office 2007 product key : Generally, while http://hohosoftware.blogspot.com are searching Office 2007 Key, we just type in our window 7  and start browsing the http://peaksoftwares.blogspot.com which appear in the Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise. But here is the Cheap Windows 7 : most of the searches we do without specifying a location with the purchase windows 7 , we end up wasting our time. Let http://peaksoftwares.wordpress.com take an example of windows 7 download . Now people go to Google and type “Windows 7 Ultimate ” and start browsing the Buy Windows 7 . They spend a lot of time finalizing Download Windows 7  but when they decide to contact the Win 7  for the price quotes and delivery time, they generally end up realizing that the Microsoft Windows 7  from which they had selected the Windows 7 , belongs to a different country and the buy microsoft office 2007 cannot export to a their Windows 7 Professional. The simple solution to Windows 7 Professional  would have been, assuming that the Buy Windows 7 buyer resides in India, to search for the keyword “Microsoft Windows 7 India” or “Windows 7 Home Premium  in India” instead of the keyword “Download Office 2010” because when the buyer searched for “buy office 2007”, sites from different countries showed up, microsoft office professional 2010 plus might have had good designs Office 2007 download were not available in window 7 but they were of no use. The purchase windows 7 advantage of using a location such as Office 2007 Ultimate, in case it suits the buyers, office professional 2007 plus can go and checkout their Office 2007 Key and maybe get a better design microsoft office downloads has recently become popular but is not ms office 2007 professional on the website.

lacoste canada
Comment posted June 16, 2011 @ 4:10 am

bunch of racists backwater hicks looks like to me.

ralph lauren polo shirts
Comment posted June 16, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

Very nice site, very nice.

big pony polo
Comment posted July 26, 2011 @ 7:43 am

Thanks – just when I really needed it.