When It’s Time to Party We Will Party Hard

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 5:12 pm

My friend J.P. Freire, the managing editor of The American Spectator, is the brains behind NewAmericanTeaParty.com. When I saw him today after Grover Norquist’s meeting, he was driven, intense — gripping his MacBook like a life raft in the Arctic Ocean, updating the group’s Facebook page and list of sponsors.

Freire’s site is only one node in a network of grassroots Tea Party sites, which are protesting the mortgage rescue plan and the more general “recent trend of fiscal recklessness in government.” The main Washington event will be a rally in front of the White House on Friday, at noon.

Among the ideas that people pitched while Freire was working:

- An appearance from Joe “the Plumber” Wurzelbacher. (He plans on showing up as a reporter for PajamasTV and then commenting on the event on Sean Hannity’s Fox News show.)

- A garbage bag that tea partiers will fill with tea bags. Protestors might write the names of programs they don’t like on the tea bags.

- Doing the garbage bag idea, but with cardboard boxes.

- A cover of “Take This Job and Shove It,” with new lyrics that would attack the stimulus package.

- Getting people in Revolutionary War garb to skeet shoot tea bags.

Comments

Jon H
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 4:01 pm

Knowing Chicago floor traders, I suggest they do a cigar smoke-in.

That'll make them lots of friends.

Dan
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 5:50 pm

Not a Fox watcher, but can anyone argue that acquiring Joe the Plumber was bad for Pajamas Media?

The Teabag Stimulus… « In One Ear… Out the Other
Pingback posted February 25, 2009 @ 7:04 pm

[...] They have all kinds of hairbrained ideas on how to protest, all of which, of course, involve the wasting of mass quantities of tea. – A garbage bag that tea partiers will fill with tea bags. Protestors might write the names of [...]

24AheadDotCom
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 8:00 pm

I agree with Weigel for once!

And, what PJM should do is what I've been suggesting for two years now: “cross-examining” politicians on video by asking them questions designed to show that they aren't thinking through the impacts of their policies. One of the latest questions I'm urging people to ask is here.

I'm sure that PJM knows about my quest, yet for some reason they aren't interested.

Oddly enough, Weigel isn't interested either. He knows about my quest and he can't even pick up the phone and call Hawaii and verify his assumptions. In fact, the toughest question I'm aware of Weigel ever asking… he asked of Larry Sinclair, someone who has no power and no protectors in DC.

Dave Weigel, valiant seeker of the truth.

jeff
Comment posted February 26, 2009 @ 4:00 am

Maybe we should carry around douche bags with our names on them, because you know…

unclearof the meaning
Comment posted February 27, 2009 @ 4:49 pm

I'm a liberal dem, so they can tea bag me until I shoot my skeet.

unclearof the meaning
Comment posted February 28, 2009 @ 12:49 am

I'm a liberal dem, so they can tea bag me until I shoot my skeet.