Joe the Plumber on Rick Santelli, John McCain and Sarah Palin

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 4:17 pm

I could not shake the sense that Rick Santelli, CNBC’s Angry Man, was going through the same media cycle that Joe Wurzelbacher was. So, at an Americans for Tax Reform luncheon today, I asked Wurzelbacher if he agreed with Santelli’s appearance last week, in which Santelli blasted the mortgage rescue plan and saying that there was a “silent majority” that was sick of bailing out losers. Wurzelbacher smiled, and said he’d seen Santelli, but he wasn’t ready to call Santelli the leader of a popular movement.

“You’re asking me to comment on what other people think,” said Wurzelbacher. “I can’t do that. He’s right that this plan is rewarding bad behavior, without a doubt. And I appreciated his passion when he was speaking.”

Several times, once without being prodded, Wurzelbacher lit into the presidential candidate who lifted him out of obscurity.

On the housing bubble:

John McCain likes to say: Well, I warned about this! Well, I didn’t hear him. And I listened. He might have said it in certain circles but I didn’t really hear him. If he was thinking that was really going to be something he ought have made a bigger stink than he did.

On the Straight Talk Express:

John McCain’s a politician. I don’t really have a whole lot of respect for politicians. I did not agree with the amnesty bill he tried to put forth before running. I thought it was just about the most asinine thing I’d ever heard. You go ahead and let people break laws, then you pardon them and welcome them in? It makes no sense.

Three years ago he was the favorite among Democrats. That always bothered me. Then he talks about reaching across the aisle. I’m tired of reaching across the aisle. You got voted in, supposedly, because of your ideas, your principles, your values, and yet you’re supposed to reach across the aisle and bend on those things to get things done? You don’t sit there and say, ‘I’ll give you Park Place for Boardwalk.’ There’s too much wheeling and dealing in politics. You don’t coerce, and see, that was my problem when I was on the bus. That was the word that was used on the bus. “Coerced.” That’s a bad word. When John McCain sat there and said, “Well, some senators had to be coerced,” that pissed me off. That really upset me.

On Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin:

Absolutely incredible woman. Actually really wants to serve America. Do I think she should give ‘em another chance? I dunno. I mean, America tore her up. The media in general. But of any of the politicians I’ve actually met she seems the most sincere. She actually wants to do what’s right for America. She didn’t have that gleam in her eye of power an money, she had that ‘I want to serve’ look. That’s the kind of character and leadership we need. When you go into politics you want to help your fellow man, not help yourself. I think I’ve got a pretty good B.S. detector and I didn’t smell any from her.

Wurzelbacher wasn’t thrilled by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal’s GOP response to last night’s presidential address. “The only one I can see who I’d considering voting for is Newt Gingrich.”

Comments

FUCK YOU
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 1:39 pm

Joe the Fake plumber is a piece of shit idiot

dbomp
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 2:17 pm

Weird. This is like reporting. On a blog.

Do your bosses know you're doing this?

Bill
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 2:35 pm

My B.S. detector is screaming.
Joe sounds like every used car salesman I've ever met. He's got his meal ticket from the RNC or some Grover Norquist group. When's he going to start that plumbing company?

navy
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 4:31 pm

everyone who actually met sarah palin loves her

Mike
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 4:48 pm

Ron Paul here.

maggiepie
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 6:35 pm

*waves at Navy* Like anyone cares what Joe the Plumber thinks.

DoughtyOne
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 7:44 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with Wurzelbacher's comments here. I do think he would like Jindal better the more he knew about him. I liked Jindal's comments last night.

I like some things about Newt, but then he turns around and says something supportive of the left, and I'm left dumbfounded. For instance, he said at one point that he really liked how Obama's appointments were going. Even a political novice has to know about all the tax cheats that Obama had appointed to his cabinet. Good grief Newt.

It sure is interesting to see the comments by those that disagree with Joe though. The arguments against his beliefs are so powerful. This one, “Joe the Fake plumber is a POS idiot” was very powerful. I'd never heard the reverse argument to Joe's beliefs before. I may have to re-evaluate. NOT

greg
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 7:44 pm

Palin is the real thing. That is why her favorability rating nationally has gone from 49 percent right after the election to 52 percent in January. At the same time her unfavorability rating has declined by 7 points as more people go from the unfavorable column to the undecided column. Looks like the 24/7 carpet bombing of her by the media isn't paying big dividends. Interesting, how 0bama job performance rating is now declining to 58 percent while Palin's rating is moving up.

David
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 7:50 pm

My BS detector is screaming at you. I can smell a hippy lib from a mile away-hippies all smell for some reason. If you had a real job, you wouldn't have to buy a used car-you could afford a new one. I guess now you are waiting for 0bammy to give you a smart car. Make sure you get the model with casket handles so we can chunk you in the ground when you get hit by a shopping cart at the grocery store.

navy
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 7:54 pm

sarah keeps getting more popular as time goes on–they see she is real –one of us–

navy
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 7:57 pm

maggie pie you are a loser and so jealouse of sarah—-

arlene
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 7:57 pm

Who the hell cares what Joe the pretend plumber thinks? He's an idiot.

arlene
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 7:59 pm

Right on Fuck You! I agree!

Ed
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 8:00 pm

Priceless.

PH
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 8:03 pm

I'm glad to read he had such nice praise for Governor Palin!

Palin 2012!

PH
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 8:07 pm

“Absolutely incredible woman.”

Yes, she is!

Palin 2012!

PH
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 8:09 pm

“She didn’t have that gleam in her eye of power an money, she had that ‘I want to serve’ look. That’s the kind of character and leadership we need.”

Right on Joe, right on!

Palin 2012!

arlene
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 8:23 pm

Just because someone is likeable does not make them Presidential material. Please ,the woman needs at least 10 more years of tutoring to be even marginally politically astute. Did you all not listen to her interview?

TLR
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 8:27 pm

It was not John McCain who “lifted Joe the Plumber out of obscurity.” Mr. Wurzelbacher asked the single most incisive question of the entire campaign. The recognition he subsequently received was based on that very fine merit, which put our professional journalists to shame.

It is no secret that Joe was more fond of Governor Palin than he was of Senator McCain. In fact, his sentiments also reflect a large segment of the American public, as validated through exit polls.

Finally, I have to wondr what author David Weigel means with his lead statement: “I could not shake the sense that Rick Santelli, CNBC’s Angry Man, was going through the same media cycle that Joe Wurzelbacher was.” What is he getting at here? It is vague. It is not an argument — something that all journalists are supposed to make in a lead sentence. It leaves the impression of a private joke that is neither sensible nor all that funny, save for a group of privileged insiders.

This is not entirely surprising, coming from Mr. Weigel. He is the same author who wrote an article on STDs called “Bristol Palin's Party,” with the grand idea that it was funny. Fortunately, the editors of the Washinton Independent came to their senses, changed the headline, and apologized to the public. It was not funny, but in poor taste, and a shameful revelation of the paper's innate bias. I appreciated the paper's prompt action then, but I guess there's no lasting cure for a skewed worldview.

Jane
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 8:32 pm

Remind me again why Joe Wurzelbacher's opinions are relevant?

TKK
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 8:41 pm

Let me guess, Arlene. You're a woman that wears very comfortable shoes.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

kl
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 8:52 pm

As soon as you remind us why yours are.

Ronin
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 10:16 pm

If Sarah is turned loose she would make mincemeat out of Katie Crap and Matt Lier and the rest of the commy-simps.

Jane
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 10:32 pm

Because I don't reply with the answer of a 4 year old? Nyah nyah, pyew pyew!

Seriously, why does anyone give two shits or a rat's ass about what this man has to say? He is truly an idiot. I actually pity his fans.

Jane
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 10:32 pm

Huh, didn't she already blow that chance? ;)

Jane
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 10:35 pm

“Mr. Wurzelbacher asked the single most incisive question of the entire campaign.”

He did indeed…in Bizarro World.

Jane
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 10:37 pm

Oy…define, “us?” She does not represent my best interests. Plenty of others obviously agreed!

Jane
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 10:41 pm

My goodness. When are you guys going to stop whining about the results? We had to suffer through 8 wretched years of the R-word.

Her daughter was more eloquent in one interview than she was for the campaign duration.

TLR
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 11:02 pm

Mr. Wurzelbacher, like 47% of America, saw the writing on the wall. The Generational Theft Act comes as no surprise to us. So, seriously? Jane, I hope you're still laughing all along the way to Obama's “Bizarro “Poor House.

Jane
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 11:23 pm

Kind of like 2004's 48% thinking clearly and – get this – a majority in 2000?? The R-words took 8 valuable years and turned our surplus into a deficit. Is this what you mean by Poor House?

Gary
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 11:33 pm

Jane, the BIG reason we had a deficit was because like every democrat, Clinton slashed and burned the defense budget, and declared a “peace dividend”. That loser Jimmy Carter did the same thing, and Obama is talking about cutting 25 percent of it as well.

Reagan built a deficit fixing what Carter did, and Bush had to fix a whole lot of what Clinton did. Remember, the stock bubble burst about the same time Gore was trying to steal the election, and Bush walked into a recession.

And since Clinton had refused to fight Al Qaeda in a meaningful way, even after they bombed the World Trade Center his first year in office, we had 9/11.

Building up to finally end terrorism for good cost a lot of money. But at least it was well spent. It's 71/2 years since we have been attacked. Can't put a price on that.

Gary
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 11:39 pm

Get used to it. After Obama destroys America, you'll have a hard time getting a democrat elected as dog catcher!

Right now Palin's approval ratings are as high as Obama's. And while her disapproval ratings have fallen, Obama's have risen greatly.

He is everything us “evil Republicans” warned the country he was, an empty suit socialist who doesn't have a clue.

Joe
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 11:42 pm

Jane seems to be pretty much a biotch.

Kolohe
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 11:43 pm

2 timer ago? 5 minutter ago?

Kolohe
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 11:44 pm

Hmm, glitch is gone now.

Gary
Comment posted February 25, 2009 @ 11:58 pm

Don't be stupid.

Governor Palin is very politically astute. Past that, she is a highly competent Chief Executive.

Sarah Palin is the only governor in any of the 50 states who knows how to compute the Net Present Value of Cash Flow and relate it to a state's budget.

She is the only governor in the union who had the foresight to save some of the state's money, and cut spending!

And her state's budget is 90% derived from volatile oil revenues. Meanwhile, most other Governors preside over horrific deficits and have stable and predictable tax bases.

Alaska has no state income, or sales tax.

Let me clue you in on some facts.

Governor Palin has the highest popularity of any Governor in America. She is a recognized authority on energy issues, having run the largest oil and gas regulator agency of it's kind.

She is also a tough reformer that when push came to shove, took down the entire leadership of the Alaskan Republican party, INCLUDING the sitting Republican Governor!

Some resume facts:

City Council Woman, Wasilla, Alaska

Mayor, Wasilla , Alaska. Two terms, term limited out.

President of the Alaska Conference of Mayors.

Chairman. Alaska Oil And Gas Conservation Commission. The largest oil and gas regulatory board of it's kind in the nation. STRONG ETHICS REFORM

CURRENTLY:

Governor Of Alaska.

Chairman of The Interstate Oil And Gas Compact Commission. As voted in by other Governors.

Chairman. National Governors Association's Natural Resource Committee. As voted unanimously by the other 49 Governors.

Vice Chairman. National Republican Governor's Association.

Commander in Chief of the only National Guard in the nation that is on permanent deployment.

If anything, she's one of the most experienced Governors to ever be considered a candidate, since Ronald Reagan.

Palin is a born leader, someone who gets it.

Everyone who has ever worked with her gives her high praise.

No less than noted liberal Camile Paglia sings her praises weekly over at Salon.com. Henry Kissinger said, after they met, the he was highly impressed. Even Loren Michaels, from SNL has heaped praise on her.

I trust what these folks say over what someone who has never met her says.

Plus the fact that her peers, other mayors, other Governors, consistently choose her to lead them really says all you need to know about her.

Gary
Comment posted February 26, 2009 @ 12:00 am

You stay classy there you subhuman liberal scumbags.

Jane
Comment posted February 26, 2009 @ 11:09 am

(cue screeching brakes and backup engine)
I saw the WTC bombings from my bedroom window, so don't lecture me on terrorism.
You need to brush up on your history a bit, since Reagan was the one who planted the Al Qaeda roots against the Soviets.

Jane
Comment posted February 26, 2009 @ 11:25 am

Why do some conservatives believe I'll tremble in my boots if you call Obama a “socialist?” I'm supposed to be frightened by inexpensive education and healthcare?

The US's greatest asset is our cultural melting pot, but it's best not to be so arrogant to think we are the best at everything. The country is in its teenage years, raging hormones and all…we need to incorporate our youthful energy while also looking to elders for advice on their own past growing pains. I just don't buy into the “sucks to be you” philosophy that is prevalent among some who believe that people should never, ever need assistance. If half of the population has no access to education or healthcare, how is our overall infrastructure supposed to be strong as a country? You can't very well bite into a sandwich when the interior of your tooth is rotten, can you?

On ratings, the person in the spotlight is always going to have the biggest shift in ratings either way. The fact is, most people don't even care about Palin, therefore the sampling of rating participants is smaller.

Jane
Comment posted February 26, 2009 @ 11:30 am

Gary, no matter how extensive your list, that doesn't change the fact that she doesn't represent my beliefs. Many, many others feel the same. I too am extremely industrious, successful, and popular among my peers, but I'm not going to get my knickers in a knot if someone thinks I ought not to be representing that person because of ideological differences. That's what elections are all about.

Jesus St. Jesus
Comment posted February 27, 2009 @ 4:13 am

TRIG PALIN IN 2056… The Republican party is so inbred at this point that little Jindal’s, baby Bush’s and Dole’s will create a three headed VP candidate to run with him.

Cheney grandchildren, while the most intelligent of the declining brood, will be excluded from running because of their unpure adoptive bloodlines…

Jesus St. Jesus
Comment posted February 27, 2009 @ 12:13 pm

Un mes gobernando Alaska: problemas, críticas, éxitos y apoyos (y II) « Sarah Palin en Español
Pingback posted March 11, 2009 @ 7:29 pm

[...] apoyo, simbólico, ha sido el de Joe el Fontanero, entrevistado en el Washington Independent: Una mujer absolutamente increíble. De verdad, de verdad que quiere servir a América. ¿Creo que [...]

Twitter Trackbacks for The Washington Independent » Joe the Plumber on Rick Santelli, John McCain and Sarah Palin [washingtonindependent.com] on Topsy.com
Pingback posted August 28, 2009 @ 2:32 pm

[...] link is being shared on Twitter right now. @newjournalist said DC — Joe the Plumber on Rick Santelli, [...]