Gates: Afghans, Not Just U.S. Troops, Needed to Win War

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 3:31 pm
Secretary of Defense Robert Gates (defenselink.mil)

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates (defenselink.mil)

For his first appearance before the Senate as President Obama’s defense secretary, Robert Gates did something unexpected: he offered a glimpse into the Obama administration’s forthcoming review of strategy for the precarious war in Afghanistan — balanced with stark warnings about the dangers U.S. troops face there.

Gates, a cautious advocate of bolstering U.S. troop levels in Afghanistan, told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Tuesday that he worries that “Afghans [will] come to see us as the problem, not the solution, and then we are lost.” He warned that increased levels of U.S. troop deaths in 2009 were “likely.”

Illustration by: Matt Mahurin

Illustration by: Matt Mahurin

At their confirmation hearings, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Director of National Intelligence-designate Dennis Blair punted questions about Afghanistan, pending a review by the new administration slated to occur over the first weeks of the administration. Unlike his colleagues entering the administration, Gates, who served as Pentagon chief under President George W. Bush, could not claim a lack of familiarity with the intricacies of the war. While working for Bush, Gates was frequently a voice of caution on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, contrasting with the often triumphalist rhetoric and expansive goals of his then-colleagues — his aides have said that he has more in common with Obama’s approach to foreign affairs than he did with Bush’s — and Gates’ measured tone in the hearing was hardly a departure from his style in the Bush administration. But Gates appeared freer to voice concern about the course of the war during Tuesday’s hearing than he was as a Bush cabinet official, befitting his new status as an architect of policy rather than an inheritor of it.

Most importantly, Gates provided a series of warnings that might help shape the ways in which the Obama administration takes charge of the Afghanistan war. The most immediate issue facing the administration on the war is whether to increase U.S. troop levels in Afghanistan — something Obama repeatedly promised on the campaign trail and is now attracting increasing discomfort among the administration’s progressive base. In December, Gen. David McKiernan, commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan, stated that he needs an increase of nearly 30,000 troops “for the next few years” — in other words, a sustained troop increase, not a brief surge in U.S. forces as occurred in Iraq in 2007. In the last few days Obama administration officials have begun telling reporters off the record not to presume that the president has made a decision on the size or duration of any prospective troop increase.

Gates said Tuesday that he backs McKiernan’s request — but signaled that the troop spigot would not remain open. “I would be very skeptical about additional force levels beyond what Gen. McKiernan asked for,” Gates told the Senate panel. A former senior CIA official during the Russian invasion and occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s, Gates recalled that “the Soviets couldn’t win that war with 120,000 troops and a ruthless approach” to Afghan civilians, since they adopted “the wrong strategy.”

While not exactly spelling out what the right strategy for Afghanistan would be, Gates went further than any Obama official has to date in sketching what such an approach might look like. “Above all,” he said, “there must be an Afghan face on this war.” More important to Gates than increasing U.S. troop levels, he said, was increasing the numbers of Afghan security forces, and he said the government of Hamid Karzai supports a U.S.-backed effort to increase the Afghan National Army to 130,000 troops from its current 80,000, though he said he was unsure “even that number will be large enough.” At several points in the hearing, Gates worried that the U.S. was losing support from the Afghan people, saying that the U.S. has “lost the strategic communications war” to the Afghan insurgency about U.S.-caused civilian casualties. Proposing a policy of “first apologiz[ing]” when U.S. troops kill civilians in error, Gates said, “We have to get the balance right with the Afghan people or we will lose this war.”

Moving away from the Bush administration’s expansive rhetoric about creating an Afghan democracy, Gates mused that the U.S. needed to set “modest, realistic goals” in Afghanistan, making clear that he sees “no purely military solution” for the insurgency, preferring a “fully integrated civil-military strategy.” The U.S.’s minimum goals should be to ensure “an Afghan people who do not provide a safe haven for Al Qaeda” and provide an unspecified degree of support for the Afghan government. While the U.S. could assist the Afghanistan government’s economic efforts, Gates warned, “If we set as the goal [creating] a Central Asian Valhalla, we will lose.” He offered only tepid support to an idea, floated by McKiernan, that NATO should become more actively involved in counternarcotics efforts to combat sources of insurgent fundraising. And while he supports training and equipping increased numbers of Afghan security forces, he envisioned merely “a capable, reasonably honest Afghan police” force — a concession to the rampant levels of police corruption in Afghanistan.

Evidently cautious about what remains achievable in Afghanistan, Gates notably did not address some of the more controversial proposals for Afghanistan policy: encouraging local and tribal governance with looser connections to the central Kabul government than Karzai’s administration has pushed; training tribal auxiliary forces to supplement security efforts; and negotiating separate peaces with elements of the insurgency to peel away support for the Taliban and Al Qaeda.

Without the support of the Afghan people, Gates said, the U.S. would simply “go the way of every other foreign army that’s ever been in Afghanistan.” Putting Afghan troops at the “forefront” of the fight is imperative, the defense secretary continued. “Villagers [must] see it’s their army they’re helping,” Gates said, “not U.S. troops kicking down their doors.”

Follow Spencer Ackerman on Twitter

Comments

marc
Comment posted January 27, 2009 @ 8:29 pm

It is therefore distressing that the vital job of training large numbers of Afghan security forces has been outsourced to the likes of Dyncorp and Blackwater. The same privatisation effort in Iraq produced few positive results even with its enormous billion dollar price tag.

sgtoblat
Comment posted January 28, 2009 @ 5:17 am

>I couldn't agree more with Secretary Gates that we need to put an Afghan face on the security efforts.

Yes the war of occupation needs to be turned into a civil war, that way at least it's the afghans own fault when we lose.

>While not exactly spelling out what the right strategy for Afghanistan would be

Because he hasn't got one. Gates just wants to reinforce failure – more money and more lives for nothing more than salvaging western prestige.

TPile » Blog Archive » Five for Fighting 1/28/09
Pingback posted January 28, 2009 @ 7:20 am

[...] About Five for Fighting 1/28/09 * Gates outlines Afghanistan strategy… [...]

Wonk Room » The WonkLine: January 28, 2009
Pingback posted January 28, 2009 @ 10:01 am

[...] Ackerman reports on Defense Secretary Gates’ telling Congress that he sees “no purely military solution” for the growing Afghanistan [...]

Hamma Mirwaisi
Comment posted January 28, 2009 @ 4:58 pm

Appealing to the US government official for Justice

I am a naturalized citizen of the USA. I do understand that the laws are counting me equal with other citizen in the country. But individuals are not counting me as a full citizen.
I was trying to serve my country the USA who adopted me during the hardest time of my life with wife and two children’s. While I was searching for job in the Army CI department the people interview; I made me look like Osama bin Laden on his paper work.
I was working on the Air force Satellite communications for many years and had security clearance (Secret) and over two years serving military war effort in Iraq. Now they are damaged my security clearance.
The US governments are accusing me to not be good citizen. I went to senator and Congress men; I am told every thing are fine but when I look for Job there are note on my interim security clearance will chase away hiring companies to consider me for the Job for over one year now.
There are no other agencies to go too. The US governments are treating me very bad; I do need help please.
I did write “Policy-designate Michele Flournoy” and asked her to hire me. I am originally from Iraq and lived in Iran’s too. I do understand the culture, religions, political structures inside out about both countries above and want to help her department but there are no way to reach these people in power.
I am writing this and hope that she and others will read my comment and start counting people like me as a citizen. I am the “naturalized citizens” and want the US Government to count me as a full citizen of the USA and give me the chance to serve in this hard time.
I hope she or her subordinate or some other people in the State department or department of defense will read this advertising of myself and will send me an email to offer me a job so I can serve my country the USA.
Thanks for any help you might provide.

Regards,
Hamma Mirwaisi
hmirwaisi@gmail.com
Jan-28-2009

Hamma Mirwaisi
Comment posted January 28, 2009 @ 5:00 pm

Appealing to the US government official for Justice

Thanks for any help you might provide.

Regards,
Hamma Mirwaisi
hmirwaisi@gmail.com
Jan-28-2009

utfb
Comment posted January 29, 2009 @ 6:02 am

In the lawless areas of Pakistan where ben laden is we should use a few neutron bombs go in in a couple weeks search for bennie boys DNA if not that valley move on to the next one. In the long run they would lose less people than was lost in the twin towers and a lot less than if this is protrected for 4 to 8 years. It's time some law should be brought to the lawless territory even if only for a month or two. We get our man the Afgans get rid of us (U.S.) on a major scale and if the government of Pakistan want to allow that territory to revert back to lawlessness it will be there to do with as they wish. Let it be known to all around we want one thing and one thing only and we really are prepared one way or another to get it.

PoliTrix » Blog Archive » Brandon Friedman: Five Myths About the Afghanistan Escalation
Pingback posted January 29, 2009 @ 12:02 pm

[...] looming disaster. To this point, President Obama’s Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates, had this to say on Tuesday: Moving away from the Bush administration’s expansive rhetoric about creating an [...]

Jaff Sassani
Comment posted January 31, 2009 @ 9:55 am

Rebuilding a modern Iranian State can be applied to Afghanistan too.

Rebuilding a modern Iranian State following the overthrow of the current illegitimate Arabic regime of the Islamic Republic of Iran
Author : SKDC

Rebuilding a Modern Iranian State
February 13, 2008 12:00 PM EST

by Jeff Sassani

Iran is the home of both Iranians (Eranšahr, Aryan) and non-Aryans. Our heritage is a mix of many different groups because our homelands are unfortunately located in a very strategic location within the Middle East.
Our people have suffered for over a millennium and continue to suffer today while our land is being abused and its residents subjugated by other nationalities. The fact that we have survived for over a thousand years is amazing in itself and a testament to the tenacity and courage of our people.
We have witnessed many empires come and go after the defeat of The Sassanian Empire. Since that time we have been reoccupied by many other nations, led by the Arab Nationalist movement. This movement is fueled by nothing more than hatred and revenge. They hide behind the guise of religion while in reality they use Islam as nothing more than a cover up. One needs look no further than Egypt, where their language and culture has been decimated, to see where this path leads.
The Medes Empire, The Achaemenids Empire and The Sassanian Empire are our heritage, we must never forget this. We must honor the spirit of our beloved leaders like Thee Dayukku (the founder of The Medes Empire), Thee Cyrus the Achaemenid (the founder of The Achaemenids Empire) and Thee Ardashir Babak (the founder of The Sassanian Empire, to which we belong).
With this in mind, look at our current day leaders. Where have they come from? Have they really cared about our culture, our heritage, or our nation? Why have we allowed people like Ayatollah Khomeini, Mohammad Khatami and Ayatollah Khamani to suppress our national pride in exchange for their Islamic Ideology? They claim they are holy men, yet take a minute and think about what they have done. They are trying to destroy our people’s sprit and make them slaves to religion so that our people will be servants. Look at the world today, most of the people on the earth have some kind of religious belief, but they are not slaves to their religion. Beliefs should be personal, not dictated by the nation. By perpetuating this ideology our people have becoming slaves of the Arab Nationalist Ideology through the Islamic Religion.
The Sassanian Empire united our people in the past and protected our people from invaders for a long time. The Sassanian Empire was the protector of the Zoroastrians Religion and was for all Aryan people without any discrimination. The Empire served the Aryan people from India to Europe; protect us in the East from the Turk nomads and in the southwest from the Arab nomads, in the north and west from the Roman Empire.
Today it would be impossible to unite such a large area under one country because of the Arab invasion of our homeland and the subsequent destruction of our civilization. Even those of us who are descendents of the Sassanian Empire are hopeless and abused by others. However, we believe that an economic union is the best way to continue with the struggle. We must be united in order to liberate our people from Arab domination and superiority. We must study the Islamic religion and understand the message of God based on our modern day knowledge so that our people won’t be slaves to rituals and practice.
The Islamic Religion split between Sunni and Shiite Islam because of the power struggle and differences between the second Islamic Khalifa (President or King), Omar Bin Khtab and the fourth Islamic Khalifa, Ali ibn Abi Talib. Khtab was known as the most violent ruler against the Aryan people, non-Arabs, and non-Muslims. He later went on to be the founder of Sunni Islam. His actions have become the foundation of the so-called Islamic and Arab terrorist ideology which in reality has nothing to do with Islamic religion. Western countries should attempt to understand the root of terrorist ideology. By doing this, they can see that they can defeat this ideology economically and socially rather than blindly attacking Islamic religious beliefs.
The fourth Islamic Khalifa, Ali ibn Abi Talib (599-661 CE), was the first cousin and son-in-law of the Prophet Muhammad. He later became the founder of Shiite Islam. Ali ibn Abi Talib was a very extreme Arab nationalist who shared Khtab’s hatred of non-Arabs and non-Muslims. This is evidenced by his actions against the Jewish people during Prophet Mohammad’s rule and his war against the Jewish people in Arabia.
Ali ibn Abi Talib Al-Qweareyyshi was a young man and the leader of Islamic Army. He was responsible for the butchering of Jewish people during the attack on the city of Khabar. Khabar was the largest Jewish city in Saudi Arabia before Islam took over the region. After Prophet Mohammad passed away, Ali ibn Abi Talib Al-Qweareyyshi wanted to become an Islamic Khalifa but Omar Bin Khtab did not allow him to do so. This is the root of the animosity which continues even to this day.
From that day forward, Ali ibn Abi Talib Al-Qweareyyshi changed his policies. Whatever Omar Bin Khtab supported, Ali ibn Abi Talib Al-Qweareyyshi opposed. He tried very hard to become an Islamic Khalifa. He finally achieved this goal after the murder of the Third Islamic Khalifa, Othman Ibn Affan. Arab associates of Ali ibn Abi Talib Al-Qweareyyshi purportedly carried out this murder. Followers of the previous three Khalifas accused him of this murder. His actions were in such doubt that Mu'awiyya Bin Abu Sofian, a powerful Arab leader and one of the Islamic generals refused to recognize his status as Khalifa.
Eventually, Ali ibn Abi Talib Al-Qweareyyshi was forced to move to the area of what is modern day Iraq. At that time, he was in war with the Arab population and this is why he was nice to non-Arabs. The Aryan people who had been treated unjustly by the harsh rule of Islamic Army under the Arab Nationalist joined Ali ibn Abi Talib Al-Qweareyyshi and most of them become Shiite Muslims. Some Aryan tribes have digressed so far that they think of Ali as God and worship his descendents instead of the God.
Many people do not understand the reality of Arab rule and that is why we believe in educating them. When the people become educated the Ayatollahs of Iran will be lose their hold over the population and the Aryan people will be able to see through their propaganda.
Today, the Aryan people are divided between the two sects of Islam. Most of our people mistakenly worship the Arab personality instead of God. Our mission is to educate our people so that they may understand Islam and worship the creator of the universe rather than dead Arab leaders.
To build a modern Iranian nation we need to get united with all the Aryan people instead of putting barriers up between us. We fully understand that some branches of Aryan people like Persians, Afghans and Pakistanis who possess some power today may be opposed to accepting some less powerful Aryans such as Kurds, Blochis, or Pashtos in Pakistan as partners. It is far easier to simply attempt to assimilate these people. This policy is really the old Arab Imperialist policy. It is being implemented today by Arab agent, such as those in the leadership in Iran. Their real goal is to destroy our culture forever. We sincerely believe it is in the best interest of everyone to bring peace and stability to this region of the world. All interested parties, but especially western countries, should take the time to understand our culture and our past civilizations in order to achieve this goal.
The current policy in this region is not working. Without an understanding of the root of the terrorism philosophy we cannot effectively fight it. The world should confront those at the root of the problem. The Sayed families, whom claim to be the descendents of the fourth Islamic Khalifa, play a large role in this. They are behind all the terrorist groups from the Shiite Islam side because they want to be recognized as the Islamic Khalifa of all Islamic countries and convert all Muslims to Shiite Islam.
The world should confront Wahhabi Islam in Saudi Arabia and the world. They are the most violent Islamic group behind the Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. They must also confront the Sunni Islamic brother hood that are behind the Al-Qaeda leader Ayman Al-Zawahiri. Both groups are against Shiite Islam specially the Wahhabi Islam sect whose goal is to eliminate Shiite Islam once and for all. These two groups are truly behind all the terrorist groups from the Sunni Islam side because they also want to be recognized as the Islamic Khalifa of all Islamic countries and convert all Muslims to Sunni Islam.
In conclusion, Islamic people all around the world should study Islam carefully to rescue themselves from Arab nationalism or any other political ideology. They should bow only to God, the creator of the universe and its contents. Pray only to Allah (Arabic: , All h) in this modern day. Don’t be fooled by hate mongers like the Iranian leaders and Shiite Sayed families around the world. Don’t be fooled by people like Osama bin Laden and Ayman Al-Zawahiri who are merely trying to become the Islamic Khalifa by using religion as tool to reach their unlawful ambitions. People from the Western countries and around the world should be aware of the root of these problems and help Islamic people around the world to get out of this unproductive cycle. This can be accomplished by helping them economically and rebuilding those countries bit by bit through mutual benefit, economic, and education development.
Sincerely,
Jaff Sassani
from the SKDC
Feb-11-08
jaff.skdc@googlemail.com

Jaff Sassani
Comment posted January 31, 2009 @ 12:02 pm

Dear honorable Defense Secretary Mr. Gate

You are absolutely right about Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq and other parts of the “Muslim World”

We are at the Jaff Sassani organizations have been writing about the combination of the use of military force and the establishment of the “economic Union” for our regions will defeat the terrorist organizations.

We did not hear from your intelegent officers to follow on with our plan. We hope that your new boss will use our plan to fight the terrorist organizations and their sponsors the Islamic Republic of Iran (IRI). Mr. Secretary with your experience and knowledge what are stopping you and your intelligence services to introduce us to your new boss Mr. President Obama. We are assuring you and your boss that Iran never will accept peace by your Government and never they are going to give up on Atomic Bomb making.

We appreciate if you give us a chance to see you.

Gen. David Petraeus, Dr.Bzrezinski, former defense Sec. Mr. William Perry has one thing in common. They are calling for economic improvement for the region. The US Government to be successful need economic Union for the region in parallel wit military forces to fight the terrorist organizations. Please read our program and the people’s region demand for economic improvement in the region.
Gen. David Petraeus is saying
“Achieving progress, needless to say, will take time,” Petraeus adds, requiring a “sustained” commitment. Progress in security needs to go hand-in-hand with development of infrastructure, the rule of law and governance capabilities, including the provision of credible elections. (All this is basic counterinsurgency stuff.) More Afghan security forces are necessary, but so are “greater civilian contributions” and greater international assistance.”

We are pleased at the “Jaff Sassani Organizations (SKDC)” if you can support the establishment of the AU or ATU. Your support does mean a lot for our organizations’. We appreciate your work with others regarding our proposed Eryan (Aryan or Iranian) Economic Union (AU) or with Turkish people (ATU). The problems are the Turks of Turkey; they are depending on the lobbyist in the Washington D.C. and EU to form the “Turkic Economic Union”. The Turks plan are going to eliminate 20-30 million Kurds; for them to make such a Union plus few hundred years of war in the region. We are going to listen to your advice; please fell free to send us message and emails.
Our goals are clear. We want peace and stable region. We are hoping that the USA, EU, Russian, India and Israel will hear our call for peaceful solutions instead of Turkey’s war plan and distractions’.
We really appreciate your support and hope for peace and prosperity for the Middle East and Asian’s people in the region.

Read more about our works and support for our plan in the

Sassani News agency

In Favor of the AU or ATU Economic Union Plan by Jaff Sassani's “SKDC” – OpEdNews
10/01/2009

In Favor of the AU or ATU Economic Union Plan by Jaff Sassani's “SKDC”
OpEdNews,?PA?- 1 hour ago
by Mullah Mohammad Afgahani Page 1 of 1 page(s) For the last one year I have been monitoring the activity of the Jaff Sassani organizations (SKDC) in Iran

Resource Allocation Reconsidered « Just Above Sunset
Pingback posted February 2, 2009 @ 2:02 am

[...] And Defense Secretary Gates, Bush’s man than Obama kept on, is getting all realistic, or that was his most recent Senate testimony: [...]

Afghanistan: Damned If You Do, Damned If You… « The Stupidest Man on Earth
Pingback posted February 13, 2009 @ 4:30 pm

[...] to make sure Afghanistan will not become a safe haven for al-Qaeda, Defense Secretary Robert Gates says. “If we set as the goal [creating] a Central Asian Valhalla, we will [...]

Carl Strand
Comment posted May 17, 2009 @ 8:33 pm

Mr. Gates I have a solution to the war in Afghanistan. Using my system this war could be won in two years without additional troops and will cut deaths and wounded by 50% Please contact me. Carl Strand

Carl Strand
Comment posted May 18, 2009 @ 3:33 am

Feingold Set to Oppose Further Troop Boost for Afghanistan | The Lie Politic
Pingback posted August 5, 2009 @ 10:31 pm

[...] McChrystal and his deputies that any such request would not be welcomed by Obama. In January, Gates told a Senate panel that he would be “very skeptical” of a troop increase much over what [...]

johnfburns
Comment posted August 31, 2009 @ 3:23 pm

Dear Sec. Are we are at war, then lets fight like we did in WWII. Bomb day and nite and get the job done. This guerrilla type war is getting us now were. Lets pull out all we got and get on with it or will be living with this until my grandchildrens grandchilden will be fighting.
Enough is enough. J F Burns USAF

Gates at the Gates: The Most Important Man in the Afghanistan Debate | The Lie Politic
Pingback posted September 22, 2009 @ 11:52 pm

[...] number of proposals for Afghanistan. He advocated up to 30,000 additional troops in January, while arguing that the more important move would be to advance Afghan-driven security and publicly fearing that sending any more U.S. troops would push Afghans past a “tipping [...]

raymondalvarez
Comment posted November 17, 2009 @ 3:57 pm

question to secretary of state mr. gate: today you are my friend, swearing that you will defend either with your life, this country. tomorrow you are our enemy. thinkg about this; all derailed muslims are our enemies, no matter their swearing. and most sad, they are in our government and in our soil. what will happened tomorrow if we have a conflict with china – will all U.S. citizen asians pay this country the same manner the muslim are paying the U.S.?

raymondalvarez
Comment posted November 17, 2009 @ 8:57 pm

12 Afghan Civilians Dead From U.S. Artillery Mistake In Helmand | NEWS Gate
Pingback posted February 14, 2010 @ 10:35 am

[...] for the error. This is in the spirit of Defense Secretary Gates’ (much neglected) “first apologize” rule from January 2009 about what to do in the event of Afghan civilian [...]

Nobody
Comment posted March 13, 2010 @ 10:15 am

Sgtoblat said “Everyone knows the war is lost now we have to kill a whole lot more afghans to make sure we can retreat with pride.”

I ask you. Is that what you would do to your own people?

adidas originals
Comment posted June 4, 2010 @ 7:59 am

Thanks for this interesting post,i like it.

spelling word games
Comment posted September 14, 2010 @ 9:45 am

Dog bark collar
Comment posted February 19, 2011 @ 8:37 am

Thanks for the post. This keeps me informed about the topic.

2749033