Bush Signs Extension of Unemployment Benefits

Friday, November 21, 2008 at 11:52 am

Congressional Democrats haven’t had much luck with efforts to move stimulus legislation this week. Plans to pump billions of dollars into public works projects and state Medicaid programs went precisely nowhere. And a push to provide Detroit’s sputtering automakers with emergency cash never got over the hurdle of GOP opposition.

Party leaders will go into Thanksgiving with one victory, though. This morning, President George W. Bush signed a $6 billion bill extending unemployment benefits for seven weeks nationwide. In states where unemployment is above 6 percent (including Michigan, California and Florida) the extension will be 13 weeks. The House passed the bill in the first week of October, and the Senate followed suit yesterday.

If you’re feeling a touch of deja vu, there’s good reason. Washington has already extended jobless benefits once this year — by 13 weeks back in July. Citing that effort, the Bush administration had initially opposed another round. It argued that “unemployment benefits should be
temporary in nature to encourage a return to work as quickly as possible.”

Faced with the ever-sinking economy, however, Bush had little choice but to sign the bill.

Indeed, the Labor Dept. reported yesterday that first-time jobless-benefit claims in the first week of November jumped to 542,000 — up 27,000 from the week before and the highest number since 1992. Nationwide, unemployment stands at 6.5 percent, but that figure is expected to rise above 8 percent next year.

And we thought that Iraq would be the Bush legacy…

Comments

winter3
Comment posted November 21, 2008 @ 10:23 am

i live in arkansas and there are No jobs…. i came here from florida where at least you could maybe find something. Arkansas is really bad.. and 13 weeks more is not going to do it, or is 20 weeks or 52 weeks. they could have at least given people 6 months/ 25 weeks, maybe just maybe people could find something, because it is just going to get worse, this is not going away any time soon.

blake
Comment posted November 23, 2008 @ 10:16 pm

does anyone know how long it will take to get money? ive run out and need it.

blake
Comment posted November 23, 2008 @ 10:17 pm

when will the money come in?

Lillian
Comment posted November 24, 2008 @ 11:20 am

I also live in Arkansas. I have been unemployed since January 18, 2008. Amazingly with my college degree (cum Laude gard) and currently in grad school (3.85 GPA,) and strong work experience, I recently went to a job fair in Little Rock with poor results. In fact, a recruiter actually told me I was too smart to be looking for a job in Arkansas. She suggested that I dumb down my resumes to improve my chances for a job.

So much for studying and working hard.

lisa
Comment posted November 27, 2008 @ 4:24 pm

jacksonville , ar sucks they want you to wit on another letter but other counties are already giving out extensions ex: monticello you could hve went down there last Friday

brigette
Comment posted December 3, 2008 @ 1:11 pm

how do we get the next extension, i have been waiting

Clay Mynes
Comment posted December 15, 2008 @ 7:50 pm

I sent my application for the extension three weks ago. I live in Florida where the unemployment is high. Am I by myself waiting or are there more out there having the same problem receiving the extension?

Rhonda Catchings
Comment posted December 17, 2008 @ 9:16 pm

This stinks I have no money for the Hoildays benfits ran out 11/08/08.
I thought this was to help with the HOLIDAYS. Christmas is 6 days away and I still have gotten nothing.
GREAT HOLIDAYS NO MONEY NO ANSEWERS!

Sadly Drowning
Comment posted December 18, 2008 @ 1:51 am

wow, I moved to Arkansas from Florida as well and oh my god, I can not believe the culture Shock!!!! Everything here is slow, empty, and bleek looking. I also have unemployment and it will be running out soon, I can not even find a darn place to apply to. I feel like I am on another planet, there is nothings here to do, no means to make money, I have to support a family and I am getting really angry and bitter, If I lose my car I am 17 miles from a city, that would really be the end of me and my florida car payment is over $400. I am already sharing one bedroom with my kid, in my terminal parents house, anymore exciting ecnomy surprises, and I will completly be broken down. I cry myself to sleep everynight.

Fed Up
Comment posted December 20, 2008 @ 7:30 pm

I have been worried about mine as wel. I called Jacksonville Arkansas – where I originally started my claim in July. I will be running out next month and terribly worried. Is there any way that we can change our claim to a different office. It is terrible here in Arkansas. There are no jobs here. I opened the Sunday paper and found one page front and back on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. They could really use some help down there. I am so nervous about what to do for money when my claims run out in the next few weeks.

Mary Chin
Comment posted December 22, 2008 @ 1:38 pm

To my knowlege when I spoke to the unemployment operator for the extension she told me is only an additional seven weeks of employment I receive. Is that true or is thirteen weeks.

Mary Chin
Comment posted December 22, 2008 @ 1:43 pm

Don't give up. Download your form on the http://www.fluidnow.com where it said”emergency unemployment. Fill it out and mail it asap to Tallahasse. In the meantime keep calling the operators and don't give up. I was successful and spoke to one. but I waited almost fifteen minutes to speak to a operator. I live in Florida my benefits ran out for December what I was told is that I received an additional seven more weeks until January. Hopefully I believe it will go for another seven more weeks depending on the ratio of unemployment. Also you will receive a letter in the mail saying your eligibility of the extension. Good Luck

Mary Chin
Comment posted December 22, 2008 @ 1:46 pm

Be patience you will get the extension by mail. But in the meantime download your form on http://www.fluidnow.com and mail to to Tallahasse. Also call and speak to a live operator which will enable you to know how many more weeks you are entitled. I spoke to one waited fifteen minutes and was told I got another seven more weeks until January. Hopefully if the ratio is high it may enable us to receive another six more week which is thirteen. Don't give up I honestly feel the same way you feel. Have the faith.

Tracy
Comment posted December 22, 2008 @ 5:06 pm

This is just a temporay fix for Arkansas residents. Apply to the Arkansas Census Board to take the test for 2010 census. It will be 20 hours a week if you get selected. They are begging for people to sign up. There is a practice test on line to help you prepare for the test. Take care.

Gale
Comment posted December 31, 2008 @ 1:18 pm

Florida STILL has not released any Emergency Unemployment Funds. They are not available by phone, just a busy signal. And its the holidays so I'm sure they are enjoying it with their families while we have nothing. THANKS FLORIDA! I WANT MY UNEMPLOYMENT MONEY!

Kat Gray
Comment posted January 8, 2009 @ 7:20 am

hey, Gale! I just emailed the Governor…AGAIN…about this very thing. This is RIDICULOUS! The State Agencies in Florida SUCK! The best advice I've been given, and the one I get most often, is MOVE OUT OF FLORIDA. I really don't want to move so I keep bothering the elected officials hoping things will change. PLEASE DO THE SAME and get everyone you know to email the governor, the Senators, and your state representative. Unless we all speak up…nothing will ever change!

Deb
Comment posted January 10, 2009 @ 6:04 pm

Is there a waiting week in Florida between the first extension and the 2008 extension? I just got my mailing from FLUID and it only shows a week of benefits…I should be at the end of my first extension now…

Deb
Comment posted January 11, 2009 @ 2:04 am

loriharrison
Comment posted September 3, 2009 @ 10:54 pm

I worked for a company for twenty yaers ,and they are asking all employees to take a one week furlow without pay .i was wandering if i was able to collect benifits for the week i go without pay

RealTime - Questions: "Is thirteen bad luck or good?"
Pingback posted November 29, 2010 @ 10:20 pm

[...] Cheat Sheet WILL ISRAEL HAVE SEVEN YEARS OF BAD LUCK FOR SMASHING THE MIRROR? « Desertpeace Bush Signs Extension of Unemployment Benefits « The Washington Independent Silent birth? Holy crap! | BabyCenter mental_floss Blog » The Quick 10: 10 Reasons Why the [...]