McCain Camp Buses in 4,000 Kids for Ohio Rally

Thursday, October 30, 2008 at 2:20 pm

As if it wasn’t embarrassing enough for Sen. John McCain when he called for Joe the Plumber to stand up and be recognized at a campaign rally in Defiance, OH., only to find out that Joe wasn’t there, it turns out that almost the entire crowd of 6,000 was forced to be there.

From NBC’s Adam Aigner:

A local school district official confirmed after the event that of the 6,000 people estimated by the fire marshal to be in attendance this morning, more than 4,000 were bused in from schools in the area. The entire 2,500-student Defiance School District was in attendance, the official said, in addition to at least three other schools from neighboring districts, one of which sent 14 buses.

There’s really no better way to create the illusion of enthusiasm for a candidate than by enlisting the support of children who presumably face punishment for skipping school if they don’t attend.

Comments

joe tha plumber
Comment posted October 30, 2008 @ 12:00 pm

black people

continuum
Comment posted October 30, 2008 @ 12:23 pm

Will someone explain to me how it is legal for the entire student population of a school district to be used as campaign props for the Republican party? This is absolutely crazy.

Chris
Comment posted October 31, 2008 @ 7:04 am

This anti-McCain bias is completely evident. To clarify from a local perspective:

Morning classes were cancelled at Defiance Schools because McCain spoke right at the school, and it would have been impossible to have class, at least at the Junior High due to security. The parents had the OPTION of having their kids go to the rally or stay home. 4,000 kids being bussed in was an exaggeration. A few hundred kids were bussed in from rural school districts around here, mostly government classes. It was an educational experience… to see a presidential candidate in town for the first time since 1912 is something historical and really brings history to life for students. I would have had no problem if the same thing happened and it was the other candidate. It's not like they were being forced to cheer and participate. Geez…

winnie47
Comment posted October 31, 2008 @ 9:07 am

WTF? Is this a new version of “NO Child Left Behind”? Why would a candidate empty schools to fill a stadium? these children CANNOT vote , and don't need a partisan, one-sided lecture as a civics lesson. A scheduled debate at school with a surrogate from each campaign would have been more appropriate. But I don't believe it WAS a civics lesson. We are 4 days from election day. A stadium of 14 year olds aren't going to win McCain the vote. Neither is news coverage of an empty stadium(as happened in New Mexico last week). This was a case of putting any BODY in the seats he could find, and hope the cameras didn't pick up on how young they were. PS – You know you're in trouble when you can't even get Joe the Plumber to show up!

IZZY
Comment posted November 2, 2008 @ 4:30 pm

McCain should NOT have been allowed to have a “rally” at a school when classes were in session. No excuse for it. I would have been furious if my kids' education was disrupted for a partisan political rally, no matter the candidate.

Linda
Comment posted November 3, 2008 @ 2:21 pm

This is okay, to force kids to miss a day of school? And not okay for adult voters to miss a day of work because they had to stand in 7-hour lines to vote? And yet, we are beginning to know that despite these disparities, Obama will win: with his fired-up crowds fighting to see him (not force-bused in), and his enthusiastic voters WILLING to stand in line to vote for him. It brings a lump to the throat and makes me so very proud of our voters.
As for the school kids? They are usually happy to get out of school; but I'm wondering if each and every one had a note signed by his/her parent for him/her to take an activity-bus trip? If not, it's a violation of most schools requirements.

Linda
Comment posted November 3, 2008 @ 2:29 pm

What in the world does the comment “black people” above mean? Is it a one-word, inarticulate gasp from a dying demographic dot? As I was calling people from an Obama phone-bank this morning in North Carolina, I swear I had the mean old daddy of May Ella Ewell (in “To Kill a Mockingbird”) on the phone. He told he wouldn't vote for a black man, and asked would I be willing to fly in a plane with a black pilot? Of course, I told him. This pathetic line of reasoning is more saddening than maddening, so I held my cool. Anyway….my man is going to win: YES, WE CAN!!

Linda