Palin Elaborates on Joe’s Resume

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 at 2:02 pm
This is the lunch we have been provided.

This is the lunch we have been provided by the Palin staff. The life of a campaign reporter is glamorous and fulfilling.

Bowling Green, Ohio

We’ve just wrapped up the second Palin campaign event of the day, a “Victory in Ohio” rally whose highlight — aside from the rather off-key selection of “Big Ol’ Jet Airliner” as pre-rally music — was the introduction of Joe the Plumber. Or, as the press corps has come to call him, JTP.

I don’t mean to be weird or anything, but the sexual tension was palpable: “All the pictures I’ve seen of him, I knew I’d like him wearing his Carhartts and steel-toed boots.” Gov. Sarah Palin apparently got so excited that she momentarily granted him the honored double status of veteran and Frontier State native: “He’s a fellow Alaska[n], and he’s a fellow military man who has served our country proudly. I’d like you to meet him.”

He is neither. But then again, his name isn’t Joe and he isn’t a plumber. So, really, who’s to blame her for getting a little carried away?

Speaking of getting carried away, Palin drew excited responses from the crowd when she — for the first time during the campaign — brought up Rashid Khalidi, “another ‘professor’ and ‘guy in the neighborhood.’”

Palin’s attack on Khalidi has been eagerly anticipated by GOP faithful for sometime. The National Review, in particular, has practically begged for the campaign to make an issue of “the top apologist for terrorists” — i.e., former spokesman for the PLO — who is another (distant) associate of Sen. Barack Obama’s. Indeed, when Palin first mentioned him, mangling his name a bit in the process, several audience members shouted good-natured corrections.

Palin grouped Khalidi with another familiar target: the media, suggesting that The Los Angeles Times has been suppressing a video tape of Obama’s attendence of the controversial figure’s birthday party: “The newspaper that HAS THAT TAPE — THE LOS ANGELES TIMES — REFUSES TO RELEASE IT.” She continued, “If there is a Pulitzer prize for excellence in kowtowing, then, LA Times, you’re winning it.”

The crowd was winning something for its loud voicing of approval.

Categories & Tags:

Comments

Optimus
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 11:59 am

I am so sick and tired of this stupit b_tch.!!!!

eric
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 12:02 pm

Did she really say this? Seriously? I can't tell if you're joking — because if you're not, it's just so damn weird. And she really is a pathological liar.

dave
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 12:05 pm

what a crazy loon. i can't wait til she's through.

kS
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 12:06 pm

Didn't the press used to nail people for lying…and then they would, shamefaced, stop?
This nightmare has yet to be fully vetted (like what exactly does the mayor of Wasilla do all day {see John Stewart} and how can you leave a town of 5500 people 20 million in the hole?, etc. etc. ad infinatum) nor has she had a press conference yet she feels free to slander?
Please God, send her back to the tundra!

Nato
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 12:09 pm

Dangit, I'm wearing Carhartts and Gripfast steeltoes right now, and am, in fact, a vet. Am I now required to vote for McCain/Palin, or does not being an Alaskan give me an out?

sharon
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 12:11 pm

Uh, more bad news for Palin. McCain was chair of a group (the International Republican Institute) that gave grants (one for $448,873) to Khalidi's Centre for Palestine Research and Studies. Don't these folks check out their speeches before they give them?

davelowe
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 12:13 pm

Khalidi? Really? Forget for a moment that this is a nothingburger.

Does Palin or anyone else in the McCain campaign really think that suggesting some new and equally obscure Obama association with 6 days to go is really going to do anything?

Ralf W, Minneapolis
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 12:18 pm

How baldfaced a lie does she have to propagate before she is seen as a liability by her own side? I mean really, saying he's a vet when he isn't? If Joe Biden said that about an 'average Joe' he brought to the stage and it wasn't true his gaffe would be big news.

But we're so used to Palin lying that we don't care???

kitthereader
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 12:18 pm

Ana? You're over here now, too? Is this a new permanent gig? Do I need to subscribe to yet another RSS feed? You bloggers and your portability… sorry to hear about Radar though.

And I don't know what you're talking about, that pizza looks yummy.

Nick
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 12:20 pm

This whole thing has become SOOO depressing. Can we just get to the Obama win and get this thing over with already. The Mccain / Palin campaign is just so ridiculous. Any half educated person should be laughing at them.

I'm fearful though. I'm British and I want to love you America. ….I want to believe you all know what socialism is, and that you've compared the tax rates under Reagan, Clinton and Bush. I want to believe that you've understood that JTP lied about everything and would be better off under Obama.

I would believe in you, it's just that you spend hours ON THE NEWS obsessing over Britney Spears, you elect George Bush TWICE, you're education system has created Miss Teen South Carolina.

I'm ready to love you. Please don't screw it up again. …not this time.

anon
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 12:34 pm

Khalidi is not a former spokesman for the PLO! He's a college professor at Columbia who does research on Palistine-Israeli relations. He's been on CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC.

This is insane! McCain and Khalidi are friends and the foundation McCain worked on gave Khalidi over 500,000 in grants! Khalidi even THANKS McCain for being a friend of Palistine in his books and in his speeches!

What the hell is going on here?! McCain's selling out his own friends now to win? I can't even deal with this, what next, accusing Obama of being associated with G. Gordon Liddy?

Marie
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 12:53 pm

Ana Marie,
I know you're bone-tired from this endless campaign and from the pic, the Palin-provided food sucks…but to write, 'who's to blame her f(Palin) for getting a little carried away?' Really? Really? Who's to blame her if she continues to pathologically lie about the inane stuf…but then when do we know when to really start 'blaming her' when she lies about important stuff? Lying is her fatal character trait…please remember that.

dave
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 12:59 pm

Would the author please not that a foundation McCain chaired gave 500K to a Khalidi organization. Do the research, it's not to hard to find.

sgwhintinfla
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 1:00 pm

Uhmmm AMC you might want to report on the ties that John McCain has with Khalidi. Namely as head of the IRI John McCain gave a group Khalidi was chairman of a $500,000 grant. I would think that would be relevant. We miss you at Swampland by the way

jason
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 1:06 pm

I have carhartt on and boots and I am a vet too. I'm voting for Obama/Biden.

She just lies about anything. sigh and now she lies about Joe the Foreign Policy Wonk

Sean Hackbarth
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 1:06 pm

According to the Alaska Daily News Joe Wurzelbacher did live a few years in Alaska, and a friend said he served in the Air Force.

dave
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 1:09 pm

No dignity remains with this bunch. And, sadly, they don't seen to care. The MSM just stands by and lets them spew out whatever it is they feel like they want to say. They are terrified of Fox News or Rush jumping on them and accusing them of “bias”. What a joke. An absolute joke.

bonniebluedenim
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 1:40 pm

Hey Nick, we try to get it right, or rather correct, we just aren't all on the same page. Voted absentee ballot and can't wait for the finish line, we're all getting ulcers over here. I never voted for a Bush or any shrubbery for that matter.

bonniebluedenim
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 1:43 pm

my dh drives an F-150 Ford pickup and voted for Obama. He's a vet, minus the steeltoed shoes. oh well.

bonniebluedenim
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 1:47 pm

thanks to the Washington Independent for sponsoring Ana…I could only afford the pretzels. This is great stuff! Agreeing with other commenters about “when does this end.” and I know it will be EARLY Tuesday evening! Thanks for letting me play! I hope they put some meat on the next pizza, it looks like your are well stocked on diet coke. What a relief.

Jill
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 1:50 pm

And isn't his name actually Samuel?

El Bruce
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 3:06 pm

John McCain has funneled a lot of grant money to Khaliki. Fact.

Jon Lamont
Comment posted October 29, 2008 @ 9:22 pm

MSNBC reports that a group chaired by John McCain gave $500,000 to Khalidi's group back in the 90's.

Adrian
Comment posted October 30, 2008 @ 1:39 pm

Could
this
thing
get
any more
sad /
funny?

Susie
Comment posted October 30, 2008 @ 2:45 pm

This isn't a Presidential campaign, it's an episode of Punk'd and any second Ashton Kutcher is going to jump out from behind a potted plant.

Adrian
Comment posted October 30, 2008 @ 8:39 pm

Could
this
thing
get
any more
sad /
funny?

Susie
Comment posted October 30, 2008 @ 9:45 pm

EdvinIRohn
Comment posted September 26, 2009 @ 9:29 pm

Carhartt Outerwear coats are made of this tough hardy material. The fabric lining the carhartt coats is also important. Fleece is always a good choice as it is very soft, warm and does not irritate the skin like wool or a rougher fabric.

Cotton tapestries
Comment posted August 9, 2010 @ 9:11 pm

wool was one of the best fabrics ever in the history of humanity. Cotton is #1 by far anyway.

3334915