Fox News Racism Says Powell Will Endorse Obama

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 at 2:05 pm

OK, never mind what I said about Lawrence O’Donnell.

Fox News has an item about a possible Colin Powell endorsement of Sen. Barack Obama that relies on absolutely nothing but race to justify the speculation.

Under the headline “Hip-Hop Dancing Colin Powell Fuels Speculation He’ll Endorse Obama” — yes, you read that correctly! — Fox “reports” the following:

The normally staid former U.S. secretary of state and chairman of the Joint chiefs of staff performed an impromptu hip-hop dance alongside well-known rap stars Tuesday following a speech at a festival in London celebrating African-American music and fashion.

His address at the “Africa Rising” celebration inside London’s Royal Albert Hall fueled speculation that an endorsement of Barack Obama is imminent.

Fox provides absolutely no evidence that Powell “fueled” anything.

It quotes from a Powell speech at Royal Albert Hall that simply expresses pride in his African-American heritage. And for good measure, the “report” contains this line, which would never in a million years be written about a white politician:

“Colin Powell has his dancing shoes on, fueling speculation that he’s gearing up to do the Obama Two-Step.”

Yeah, it had to be a two-step.

Basically, Fox News viewed a black man expressing pride in being black and figured he’d endorse the black presidential candidate.

I don’t really know what you’re supposed to say about this crap except that it’s racist. First the “terrorist fist-jab” on-camera incident and now this.

Fox has proven that it will never be ashamed of itself.

Follow Spencer Ackerman on Twitter

Categories & Tags: Elections 2008| Media| Obama| Politics| U.S.| | | | |

Comments

Hmmmmm
Comment posted October 15, 2008 @ 12:13 pm

Glad to see somebody picked up on that. I found the Fox article after Googling Powell to see how widespread was the rumour that he might be ready to endorse. I nearly fell off my chair when I read the article. Bizarre stuff!

lyndat
Comment posted October 15, 2008 @ 12:24 pm

This post is a great example of dog whistle racism in today's politics. And there are so many more!

We're tracking political race baiting at http://www.stopdogwhistleracism.com. We find the good, bad and ugly from the right, left and center about race in the race. Visit us today for a non-partisan take on the race card, and the race card card, in today's politics.

Hope to see you at StopDog!

law33
Comment posted October 15, 2008 @ 12:29 pm

This post highlights the use of dog whistle racism in today's politics. And there may examples of this!

Hope to see you at StopDog!

Apt604
Comment posted October 15, 2008 @ 1:23 pm

But what can you expect from Fox News? Imagine what they’d write if Powell had been photographed near a KFC . . .

Leishtek
Comment posted October 15, 2008 @ 2:22 pm

I wish Powell would endorse Obama, but considering the P committed war crimes in Vietnam (google on My Lai Massacre) and Iraq pre-planned OIL WAR (we know this one…the WMD's LOL) that would not be surprising at all. At all.

SteveAZ
Comment posted October 15, 2008 @ 2:26 pm

thank you for noticing this racism. I took a screen shot in the a.m. and it was worse. Fox editorial geniouses added these race baiting comments under their photo on the main Fox News website: “Hip to be Square” and “watch Colin Powell shake his Money Maker”. Now you tell me how “Money Maker” has anything to do with the event he was attending; maybe they just couldn't bring themselves to add the K in Money to say what they were really trying to sell Joe 6 pk public. This is so typical of what Drudge and Faux news perpetrate on a more frequent basis: smear the messengers, highlight McCain/Palin positives, and trivialize their negatives….. and now, help spread subtle racism. disgusting and shameful…

ngum
Comment posted October 15, 2008 @ 4:04 pm

they don't call it faux news for nothing do they? would they say the same if it was some american politician reaching to his irish or jewish roots?

Jennifer
Comment posted October 15, 2008 @ 5:07 pm

Wow, they must really be clutching at straws if a Bush enabler such as Colin Powell now qualifies as an Obama supporter because of his cultural identity. How astute, logical and dignified of them to draw such parallels; I'm kind of embarrassed to speak English, now that it might associate me to the Fox News Network.
First the 'terrorist fist jab', then the 'Obama baby mama', now this? Somebody really needs to call out Fox for their ongoing WTF?-ness.

Jennifer
Comment posted October 15, 2008 @ 5:10 pm

What is the connection to KFC? Sorry, am a non white meat-eating foreigner. I only know it for its annoying ads.

Bam Bam
Comment posted October 16, 2008 @ 5:24 am

A very common stereotype of African Americans is that they have an extreme fondness for fried chicken. It is rarely brought up as a flattering comment.

This would illustrate the point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ4B7G8Rw3Q

Brian
Comment posted October 16, 2008 @ 6:56 am

Bush enabler? Watch the movie, “Bush''s War.” Powell tried to work with the fool and Bush threw him under the bus. Powell was loyal, one of his faults, but he tried his best to save the world from Bush's madness. Nobody backed him up. And there was a racial component to how he was treated. Powell should endorse Obama and then go work for him when he gets elected.

Bill Brasky
Comment posted October 17, 2008 @ 6:08 pm

McCain is done. Colin powell will endorse Obama sunday. That will be the ultimate irony and really the death blow to the repubs (finally). It really is sad though, when you see articles like this one on Fox Noise you understand immediately why the polls are even close at all. If Obama is a white guy this is a 20 point spread right now. Call me racist or whatever. I dont care. And this is coming from a white dude in South Carolina.

Markus
Comment posted October 17, 2008 @ 7:42 pm

Wow. And I thought I had found an independent site, I guess not.

“..never in a million years be written about a white politician.” Hmmm, I wonder what MSNBC etc would be claiming if a white politician went to a dance where the theme was 'white pride'? Oh that's right, according to the whiney lib's whites are racists if they espouse such pride (or point out the obvious, as in this case or don't faint when the messiah speaks or [fill in the blank]).

This site claims to be Independent? Get a clue, no real independent would ever quote MSNBC as a source of anything other Liberal drivel. FOX and CNN at least attempt to stay on center (with their news anchors of course, not the commentators, but MSNBC hasn't this line, period).

-Markus

Mike NC
Comment posted October 18, 2008 @ 12:34 pm

Fox News make me sick!

With a Bridge Called My Back
Comment posted October 19, 2008 @ 11:39 am

Isnt it amazing, how so many 'experts' have now decided that so many Black people are voting for Obama because he is Black? When he started in the race, Hillary Clinton had something like 75% of Black voters support and held on to it for quite a while. The majority of Black people that I know are voting for Obama because they think he can do the job, not just because he is Black. If it was that simple, Lenora Fulani would have had Black fueled nationallandslide years ago…

Anyway yes, could Fox news make their racism any more crystal clear? At this point, I doubt it.

sara
Comment posted October 19, 2008 @ 9:21 pm

Idiots. Powell did endorse Obama. Blacks vote for blacks. This is racism.

Don
Comment posted October 20, 2008 @ 3:47 am

Racists? Man are you dispicable trying to race bait. I see nothing “racist”, just words about an event. Please tell me what the raxcist part is, Libtards.

Matthew
Comment posted October 20, 2008 @ 8:55 am

“Why shouldn't fox assume Powell is going to vote for Osama, er Obama, when he his getting 90% of the black vote. But I'm sure that isn't because of his skin color right?”

Maybe because even uber-white AL GORE received 90% of the black vote?

“Hmmm, I wonder what MSNBC etc would be claiming if a white politician went to a dance where the theme was 'white pride'? Oh that's right, according to the whiney lib's whites are racists if they espouse such pride (or point out the obvious, as in this case or don't faint when the messiah speaks or [fill in the blank])”

Each time I read someone peddle this tired observation I am reminded of the first time I heard it made. It was in a class discussion in the eighth grade (congratulations to Markus for being every bit as profound as a thirteen year old high school student) . You are aware that so-called “pride” festivals are actually only de-humiliation drives? Race supremacy is an entirely different discussion (and there does exist black supremacists and black racists, etc.) from that which is dealt with at such rallies attempting to empower segments of population which are often disconnected from a sense of culture or history. Personally I have no use for them, but this is, at least theoretically, their aim.

It is perhaps an unfortunate reality that even if you were able (or in any way inclined to – I am white and certainly have no sense of “pride” over the pigment of my skin, nor shame) to construct a white pride festival that did not cross the line, you would undoubtedly face accusations that you were racist. That hypocrisy is pretty much unavoidable given the American paradigm which retains the blights of slavery.

On one hand blacks are blasted for the collapse of the inner cities and “their” neighborhoods and the inherent degradation of “their” culture, etc., but on the other they are blasted for many of their attempts to empower those who feel disaffected. The truth is that many who criticize their attempts to build are more comfortable with status quo where blacks act as the scape goats for all societies ills.

Well, there are always “illegal immigrants”.

hip hop clothing
Comment posted March 14, 2009 @ 1:09 am

nowadays there's no racism to our nation.think about Obama, now he is the president of the united states of america,because people believe in him,and so many to mention people who are famous inspite ot being black.

andrewwang
Comment posted March 22, 2009 @ 7:07 pm

Speaking of Barack Obama: LONG LIVE EMPEROR OBAMA!

Obama is a racial-minority individual and does not like racism:

There is bad news about George Herbert Walker Bush.

What if basically all racial-minority people would subscribe to the interpretations that George Herbert Walker Bush committed monstrous, racist, hate crimes while he was the President of the United States?

It will eventually come out: it is only a matter of time.

Respectfully Submitted by Andrew Yu-Jen Wang, J.D. Candidate
B.S., With the Highest Level of Academic Honors at Graduation, 1996
Messiah College, Grantham, PA
Lower Merion High School, Ardmore, PA, 1993

(I can type 90 words per minute, and there are thousands of copies on the Internet indicating the content of this post. And there are at least hundreds of copies in very many countries around the world.)
_________________
“If only it were possible to ban invention that bottled up memories so they never got stale and faded.” Off the top of my head—it came from my Lower Merion High School yearbook.

Ryan
Comment posted December 14, 2009 @ 10:40 pm

I would say “you people,” but after reading this ridiculous report, and many of your ridiculous posts, I think many of you might think that I am racist.
A lot of black people are more sensitive than they should be regarding their race. Come on your black, big deal. You are Human first. We are all Human; it doesn't matter what color your skin is. I sometimes wonder if the people that are so easily offended by anything that has to do with their race, are actually the ones that are the racists. I doubt that my post will have any impact on any of you. I just thought that I would have fun with this and throw it into the mix.

Ryan
Comment posted December 15, 2009 @ 3:40 am

mbt shoes
Comment posted May 10, 2010 @ 12:44 am

DO you like it?

mbt sandals
Comment posted June 2, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

Thank you for your sharing.I'm very interested in it.

mbt sandals
Comment posted June 3, 2010 @ 1:21 am

so cool

jordan shoes
Comment posted June 10, 2010 @ 3:14 am

Demonstrate a unique new concept;Thereforejordan shoes|michael jordan shoes|cheap jordan shoesboth dressed in fashionable taste therelinks of london|air jordan 23|air jordan 11|air jordan 13So,air jordan 12this is the dress of a good choice!air jordan 21|air jordan 14|air jordan 16|At the same time,also has a super-powerful visual force;air jordan 17|air jordan 19|air jordan 18|This is a pretty good article!

Louis Vuitton handbags
Comment posted December 10, 2010 @ 7:16 am

The Epi Leather, shiny palladium hardware, rolled leather handles with ring attachments, and Louis Vuitton Canvas engraved padlock on the side of the bag make this handbag truly standout. Instantly, I fell in love with the balenciaga bags Speedy in black! It was gorgeous, sophisticated and I thought it would lovely in my collection. I absolutely loved the Speedy Cube, but due to the ultra high price I turned to the Epi collection for a more affordable take on a black louis vuitton belts handbag. At the moment, I have four different louis vuitton clutches in my collection going on a 5th in two weeks and I thought it was quite senseless to even think to getting lousi vuitton Speedy 30. So I change to search for a black Jimmy Choo clutches I came across the Louis Vuitton Leather Lockit and it was love at first sight! I have been eager to own a Louis Vuitton store Outlet in black for some time now. If the Catier bags doesnt interest you in black, it also is available in Cassis, Ivoire, and Red. My personal favorite is the black, and I just may add the Louis Vuitton discounts Epi Leather Lockit to my current wish collection. By the way, if you think the price is high, you can visit our online store to choose some Louis Vuitton multicolor for you. I change to search for MiuMiu tote I came across the Louis Vuitton Speedy handbag. Epi Leather Lockit and it was love at first sight! The Louis Vuitton Epi MiuMiu online have always been a favorite to me, and when I saw that the lockit came in Epi Leather also I was took. For some odd reason,cheap lv handbags sale, I have never taken notice of this particular lockit handbag before and I must say it is stunning.The features of this handbag are absolutely beautiful. Written by Louis Vuitton Trunk On Sale.

Property Solicitors
Trackback posted April 3, 2011 @ 10:39 am

Conveyancing Solicitors…

[...]while the sites we link to below are completely unrelated to ours, we think they are worth a read, so have a look[...]…

Yangzhifang2006
Comment posted May 12, 2011 @ 7:29 am

We keep talking about spring trends in handbags, clearly there are many. We have brought you stories on coach outlet online and Coach Outlet, and today I will tell you about another trend; floral patterns. Typically we would cover this Coach bag on Coach wallets, but I actually wanted to feature this on PurseBlog.

xuejiao wen
Comment posted May 26, 2011 @ 10:14 am

We have all been fond of office 2007 professional plus furniture haven’t we? With ms windows 7  designs available in all parts of Windows 7 Ultimate, Internet is one medium to choose the best Cheap Windows 7 at competitive prices and that too at a store near your Office 2010 Professional. Below http://hohosoftware.wordpress.com summarize some Microsoft Office 2010 to help you choose the best Office 2007 Enterprise for your corporate as well as office 2007 product key : Generally, while http://hohosoftware.blogspot.com are searching Office 2007 Key, we just type in our window 7  and start browsing the http://peaksoftwares.blogspot.com which appear in the Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise. But here is the Cheap Windows 7 : most of the searches we do without specifying a location with the purchase windows 7 , we end up wasting our time. Let http://peaksoftwares.wordpress.com take an example of windows 7 download . Now people go to Google and type “Windows 7 Ultimate ” and start browsing the Buy Windows 7 . They spend a lot of time finalizing Download Windows 7  but when they decide to contact the Win 7  for the price quotes and delivery time, they generally end up realizing that the Microsoft Windows 7  from which they had selected the Windows 7 , belongs to a different country and the buy microsoft office 2007 cannot export to a their Windows 7 Professional. The simple solution to Windows 7 Professional  would have been, assuming that the Buy Windows 7 buyer resides in India, to search for the keyword “Microsoft Windows 7 India” or “Windows 7 Home Premium  in India” instead of the keyword “Download Office 2010” because when the buyer searched for “buy office 2007”, sites from different countries showed up, microsoft office professional 2010 plus might have had good designs Office 2007 download were not available in window 7 but they were of no use. The purchase windows 7 advantage of using a location such as Office 2007 Ultimate, in case it suits the buyers, office professional 2007 plus can go and checkout their Office 2007 Key and maybe get a better design microsoft office downloads has recently become popular but is not ms office 2007 professional on the website.