John McCain: Friend of a Friend of a Friend of Saddam Hussein

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Well, if Sen. Barack Obama is supposed to be “palling around with terrorists,” then why not go there?

Murray Waas reports for the Huffington Post that the announced head of Sen. John McCain’s presidential transition team — call it the power of positive thinking — was part of an effort to end sanctions on Saddam Hussein so he and others could grab a lucrative oil contract:

The two lobbyists who McCain aide William Timmons worked closely with over a five-year period on the lobbying campaign later either pleaded guilty to or were convicted of federal criminal charges that they had acted as unregistered agents of Saddam Hussein’s government.

During the same period beginning in 1992, Timmons worked closely with the two lobbyists, Samir Vincent and Tongsun Park, on a previously unreported prospective deal with the Iraqis in which they hoped to be awarded a contract to purchase and resell Iraqi oil. Timmons, Vincent and Park stood to share at least $45 million if the business deal went through.

My friends, who is the real John McCain? Do we know him? Why has he been so dishonest about his associations?

Follow Spencer Ackerman on Twitter

Comments

slag
Comment posted October 14, 2008 @ 2:09 pm

Obama to McCain: I'll see your little known sixties radical and raise you an overthrown dictator. Looking forward to the debate tomorrow!

just john
Comment posted October 14, 2008 @ 2:13 pm

If I were Obama, here's the statement I'd release: “This story would be very useful to us, if we were running a McCain/Palin sort of campaign.”

My Friends
Comment posted October 14, 2008 @ 3:00 pm

My friends, My friends, McCain supports the Terrorists!

Steve
Comment posted October 14, 2008 @ 3:01 pm

“I don't care about some washed up…er…dead dictator, but why won't Senator McCain come clean about his relationship with the Butcher of Baghdad?”

jp
Comment posted October 14, 2008 @ 5:02 pm

Barak Hussien Obama

slag
Comment posted October 14, 2008 @ 9:09 pm

just john
Comment posted October 14, 2008 @ 9:13 pm

My Friends
Comment posted October 14, 2008 @ 10:00 pm

My friends, My friends, McCain supports the Terrorists!

Steve