Celebs Rally for Vaccine Reform

Thursday, June 05, 2008 at 3:10 pm
Jenny McCarthy (Gamescore, Flickr)

Jenny McCarthy (Gamescore, Flickr)

I spent a bright and lovely morning doing anthropology among the vaccine skeptics, an angry group who blame the government for their children’s medical and psychiatric conditions. The occasion was Wednesday’s “Green our Vaccines” rally, a march on Washington led by the the actor Jim Carrey and his photogenic girlfriend, Jenny McCarthy, the TV personality and mother of an autistic 6-year-old boy named Evan.

McCarthy, Carrey and an untold number of other people -– there were maybe 1,500 at the rally -– believe that something in vaccines causes autism. Science has laid to rest a theory blaming the measles-mumps-rubella shot, and the evidence also points away from the mercury-containing preservative, thimerosal. But Carrey and McCarthy have moved the goalposts. At Wednesday’s rally, the marchers chanted, “Too many, Too soon!” The new theory of the vaccine haters is that “too many” of these disease preventives somehow overwhelm the child’s immune system — a thesis there is no evidence to support.

Illustration by: Matt Mahurin

Illustration by: Matt Mahurin

The anger has deep roots, though. About 1 in 150 U.S. children is diagnosed with a form of autism, compared to perhaps 1 in 3,000 two decades ago. The higher diagnoses are mainly due to changes in psychiatric codings and increased educational and therapeutic programs for autistic kids, but there may be other explanations for part of the increase. The parents of these children have difficult lives and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to care for their kids. Feeling ripped off, they blame the government and industry, and say that environmental toxins and vaccines are responsible.

Over the decade I’ve reported on this issue, the believers have grown more and more entrenched in their convictions, to the point that it’s difficult to have a discussion because we’ve obviously been reading different material. Google University has many campuses and I’ve been attending a different one.

Blaming vaccines for autism is a small cottage industry backed by certain lawyers, alternative medicine practitioners and peddlers of dietary supplements that allegedly cure the damage done by vaccines. But whether their kids are getting better with such therapies or not, these parents’ convictions are unshaken.

Erika Stone, of Dallas, came to the rally with the righteous anger of a mother dealing with a severely ill child. She carried a sign that said, “We are your scientific evidence.” It had photographs of her 2 ½ year old son, Maxwell, and his mates from a special therapy program. Maxwell began to lose his language skills at 12 months. He’s sickly and mute and entirely dependent on her. “My child can’t say a word. He can’t hold a crayon, he can’t feed himself. If you play loud music next to him, he doesn’t even turn around.”

When Maxwell was about 20 months old, his mom heard about the vaccine theory. While the evidence of a vaccine link to her son’s condition didn’t convince me–regressive autism, of the type she describes, was known to occur long before the vaccine schedule increased — Stone said, “I believe it in the bottom of my heart – it’s something called mother’s instinct.”

If it wasn’t for the Internet, would you have been led to this conviction? I asked. “Probably not,” she said.

The group walked from its rally point under the Washington Monument, down Independence Ave (stopping to jeer at the Dept. of Health and Human Services) before filing on to the west lawn of Congress. It heard speeches from people like Rep. Dan Burton (R-Ind), Boyd Haley, a University of Kentucky chemist, and Robert F. Kennedy Jr., an environmental lawyer who displayed his ignorance of the issue in a sensationalist, error-filled 2005 article in Rolling Stone magazine.

As someone who has been following this hair-tearing controversy for a decade, I try to keep my cool, but I lost it once.

I was talking with a group of people (including a large fellow with “CDC Sucks” stitched on his shirt where the alligator should have been) when I was introduced to Wendy Fournier, an anti-vaccine activist I’ve debated on the radio. “Oh, it’s you,” I said. “I want to talk to someone less full of shit.”

No sooner had “shit” passed my lips than the people around Fournier called the rally monitor, who got on her radio and shouted, “Get a policeman over here!” The cop told me that since this was the Green People’s rally, they had the power to tell me to go away, even if I was a journalist.

I walked over to the little retaining wall around the monument and greeted Dan Olmstead, a former UPI editor who runs Age of Autism, a Website that champions the vaccines-cause-autism line and belittles those who disagree. Despite our profound differences, Dan’s an old journalist like me, and he thought it was wrong they’d sic’d the cops on me. We chatted for a while and then Terri Arranga, a “journalist” for Autism One, another vaccines=autism media outlet, came over, stuck a mike in my face and tried for a while to get me to comment about something I said on her program three years ago.

Then, McCarthy and Carrey appeared. The green-clad crowd went wild. “Jenny! Jenny!” they chanted, as the couple reviewed their troops on the lawn.

McCarthy agreed to what she called a “sound bite,” and a guy from “Access Hollywood” started to spoonfeed her questions. I was surprised — OK, disappointed: I love the actor Jim Carrey! — to note that Carrey did a lot of the talking. He offered many theories: evil drug companies, conspiratorial government scientists, etc. “How dumb does the CDC think we are?” (An intemperate question from a guy who, as Orac says, presumably doesn’t want us to think that “Dumb and Dumber” is a documentary.) Kids can’t assimilate all the vaccines, he said. We need more research that isn’t paid for by the pharmaceutical industry. “We don’t call that research, we call it propaganda.”

After asking his questions, the Access Hollywood guy suddenly became a promoter. “Jim and Jenny,” he said, “I’m proud to announce that you’ve been named Access Hollywood’s green couple of the week!”

At which point I saw my opportunity and after checking for rally monitors, asked, “How many vaccines, exactly, is too many?”

“In 1983,” McCarthy said, “our kids only got 10 vaccines. Now it’s 36” (actually, it’s 28, max, by age 2). I asked, “So should they only be getting 10? Which ones shouldn’t they get?” I saw McCarthy turning and asking someone, “Who is this guy?” Carrey responded, gamely. “Kids aren’t a bottomless pit you can pour toxins into, there has to be a limit,” he said.

“So what’s a vaccine they shouldn’t get?” I asked. “A lot of parents of autistic children would have opted not to get the tetanus shot,” he said.

Tetanus? Do they realize what it’s like to live in a pre-tetanus shot society, in villages where unvaccinated kids get tetanus –also called lockjaw. It causes your spine to arch as you writhe in agony for days and then die unless you are fortunate enough to get antitoxin. But then, Carrey and McCarthy haven’t been studying microbiology for the past 20 years.

The organizers were telling everyone to get off the grass, so I fell into step with McCarthy’s pediatrician, Dr. Jay Gordon, who’s a celebrated, or notorious, I guess, Santa Monica doctor because of his outspoken vaccine skepticism. Gordon has been an tiny thorn in the side of the pediatrics profession since 1979, and he takes obvious pride in going against the grain. I can see the appeal to going that way, too, but I don’t quite get his logic.

For example: “I think it’s good for you to get measles,” he told me. “It’s good for the immune system.”

He thinks all kids should get the measles?

“Yes, I do. The measles vaccine might be doing more harm than good.” This although, he tells me, “I know all the numbers.” (In the pre-vaccine era, measles killed 500 American children every year, caused 5,000 cases of permanent brain damage and innumerable hospitalizations. It still kills about 500,000 people each year in the Third World.)

The unvaccinated children in his practice are healthier, Gordon said. Not that he’s indiscriminately opposed to vacination. “Nobody wants a whooping cough epidemic.” He gives the DTP — diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis (whooping cough) — vaccine, but he delays the shots until the babies are a year old.

One way to tell that preconceived belief, rather than rationality, is guiding someone’s actions is by determining whether a change in the evidence affects their outlook. Two plausible theories for autism were weighed by science and found wanting. But those who remain convinced of the link have a way of rationalizing their belief, almost extemporaneously.

Like most of the people I met at the rally, Gordon wasn’t impressed by the epidemiological studies showing that mercury in vaccines hadn’t caused an upswing in autism. But like a lot of the vaccine skeptics, he’s moved on to a new culprit, another element present in tiny amounts in vaccines, where it is used as an adjuvant to boost the immune response: Aluminum.

Categories & Tags: Science|

Comments

tane55
Comment posted July 6, 2008 @ 12:59 am

Dont believe all the surveys there are. Working in an office with 3 other assistants and all three have children with Autism, what is that telling you. Don’t believe everything you hear from the medical community. They are down playing how many children have Autism. Do you want to risk having your child having Autism? Don’t forget the children who have learning disablities or children with ADD. Mercury killed my son. 7 Specialist and not one could figure out why he was sick. He had to die before they figured out it was Mercury that killed him. Do your research, go on line look up Mercury poisoning, or better yet heavy metal poisoning. There is a ton of research material out there. We know we have studied it for two years since my son died.

There is treatment for Heavy Metal Poisoning. Chelation!!

tane55
Comment posted July 5, 2008 @ 10:35 pm

The point Missed is “That we are all at risk” we have polluted our environment to the point that we all have Heavy Metal Poisioning Mercury is the meanest Kid on the Block. Lead is very dangerous because of it’s ability to mutate DNA.

The Point You Should Consider Is get you own body tested for Heavy Metals ( The DMPS Challenge Test Is All We Have )There is a treatment!

There is no safe level of Mercury in the Body.

There is no safe limit for Lead in your body.

Many metal increase the effects of other metals and very little is known

Google Heavy Metal Poisoning Now !

joannegmurphy
Comment posted June 18, 2008 @ 3:48 pm

The parents may be on to something, but does anyone have an explanation as to why, though millions of kids are vaccinated annually, we only see a handful of cases of autism? If there were a direct connection between the vaccine and the disorder, autism would be epidemic, no?

My heart goes out to these parents and I know if God forbid something terrible happened to my child, I would want to blame someone/something so I didn’t go crazy. But surely there has to be a way to refine the association more accurately. For example, what about countries where children are not routinely vaccinated? Is there autism in those countries? If not, the parents may be right. But if autism exists in places with no vaccines, they have a harder case to make.

Conversely, are there highly-vaccinated places with little or no autism?

jess18
Comment posted June 14, 2008 @ 9:22 am

MikeStanton, in response we vaccinate for things such as chicken pox. What is so horrible about dealing with an itchy child for a few days that we rather risk the possibility of putting harmful chemicals in them? … Having to vaccinate them multiple times for something they could catch, live with for a few days and most likely never have to experience again. I firmly believe in knowledge and to be knowledgeable about everything. From my understanding many of the vaccines are diseases that can be treated. So i think with the risks involved it comes down to knowledge being the best solution. Know the signs of these so called horrible diseases, Keep a close eye on are loved ones, Don’t hesitate to ask questions or see a doctor when concerns arise. Always listen to your conscience and a mothers intuition is a powerful thing. I battle with concerns over this debate all the time. We love are children and want only the best for them. We cant ignore that there is a problem and to me it is obvious common sense just in the fact that with the rise of vaccines there has been arise in autism and other sickness. I would also like to say or ask do you have a child who you have seen regress after being vaccinated?? Have you experienced that lost connection with your child? That forever changing moment in your life? I myself have not, but its in these people you see the power of love and dedication and there reaching out and fighting for are children and seeking knowledge and solution and for that you can not condemn them.

questor
Comment posted June 10, 2008 @ 10:44 pm

Okay, this seems like a largely hostile discussion, so I’m going to go out on a limb and not read each and every comment before posting.

Medical evidence supports a link between the drastic increase in autism and the drastic increase in the number of vaccines given. Dr. Stephanie Cave’s book “What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children’s Vaccinations” gives excellent information shot by shot, including convincing scientific documentation of her points. She is a family practitioner who specializes in integrated medical therapies that treat autistic children, as well as those with ADHD.

She notes in particular a huge upswing in cases when HepB was added to the list of vaccinations…basically right at birth. Why? Not because infants are in a high-risk group for HepB; the high-risk groups are people sexually active with multiple partners and IV drug users. Call me crazy, but I think it’s perfectly reasonable to hold off a few years on that one. (Don’t think Baby Johnny’s going to be shooting up until at least the playground years.)

It is a well-know fact that infants’ immune systems and ability to process waste are not well-developed at birth. It is also a documented certainty that: a) many of the people who get diseases like chicken pox were immunized in childhood; and b) if they had simply gone through the discomfort of it as a child, it would most likely been annoying for a few days, followed by lifelong immunity. These diseases are nearly always more serious for adults. So immunizing against fairly harmless childhood diseases is pointless and largely counterproductive.

As for not seeing a direct and immediate connection… My son went from being ahead of the game in speech, learning a couple of new words every day when he was less than a year old, to a complete stall and partial regression that lasted for months–all coinciding with his shots. After that, we delayed additional vaccinations and he’s regained ground, once again learning at a reasonably fast pace. Circumstantial? Maybe. But I had to weigh the risks and felt that his development was at greater risk than his immunological health in the near term. The CDC has been wrong too many times before, giving vaccines for years, then suddenly pulling them from the shelves. As a society, we’re in too big of a hurry on just about everything–including vaccines we shoot straight into our bodies.

f64club
Comment posted June 10, 2008 @ 12:33 am

As anniepena noted above, parental age is a major risk factor for autism (older sperm and eggs = increased risk for de novo mutations). While the link that she provides points to paternal age, other material that I have read implicates maternal age as well.

sgoewey
Comment posted June 9, 2008 @ 9:06 pm

Thank you holistic mom. I got on to comment, but most of my points would be redundant with yours. Please keep it up! I waste too much time trying to enlighten stubborn minds that want to believe CDC,FDA,pharmaceuticals,Am.Dental Assn, AMA, are all infalliable. And yes, chicken pox is an easy one to eliminate. So is Hep. B…NEVER give on Day 1 of baby’s life…though that is SOP. And do not get flu shot. Eat right exercise instead. I know M-M-R…can be serious, but I had all 3 as a child and none were very bad cases. The rally made me sad so many families are affected. So many more could not come. Blogging while your kid sleeps is a lot easier than planning a rally!

martin1234
Comment posted June 9, 2008 @ 6:18 am

Mike
I think you should rename your blog action for vaccination as it is all you seem to talk about, why is this ?
when are you going to start listening to the carers of these children.the NAS was founded by parents and is failing to listen or take not of world events.

I would love the NAS to commission a real survey (not one one thomas the tank engine videos)
q1 did you child have a severe reaction to any vaccination
q2 does you child have diarrhoeal or constipation that is being treated by a doctor
q3 does you child have food intolerances
q4 do you believe vaccinations contributed to the severity of your childs autism.

btw I had mealses and mumps as a child , my mum tells me the doctor did not think it safe as my sister had asthma.
SO MUCH FOR MEDICAL ADVANCES

Comment posted June 9, 2008 @ 12:55 am

holisticmom,

the diseases we vaccinate against.

Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 6:11 pm

mikestanton, what horrible diseases are you referring to?

Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 5:51 pm

Jess

the chances of children catching these horrible diseases goes up when people do not vaccinate. If we wait until children are “strong enough” to vaccinate what happens if they catch these diseases when they are not strong enough?

Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 4:24 pm

giantrobot – to me regression means a slow turning back, just as you describe. Not necessarily a switch, but a turn around. I apologize for not not being clear. I know for some people it is a switch, but for others it is as the Poling’s describe, but the BEGINNING of the regression is immediately after the shots.

jess18
Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 3:48 pm

Holisticmom, thank you i will definitely look into the information you have provided. I think this is so sad. These are peoples children, lives we are discussing, the love of people lives. Something obviously is not right with are system. There has been a rise in shots along with a rise in autism. What are the chances of an infant or toddler actually catching these horrible diseases that we are to give so many vaccines to are children so young??? If necessary why cant we vaccinated later on when a child is stronger in all areas of growth.

giantrobot
Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 1:29 pm

“, I do not know what you are reading or hearing, but EVERY story I have heard (and there have been hundreds I *personally* have read or heard about

dawncrim
Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 10:12 am

Mike Stanton – You are a complete and hopeless fool. I now see exactly where you obtain your bogus information – “peer reviewed medical journals” – aka, lies, lies, lies.

I, on the other hand have obtained my information from a variety of sources – thousands of parents of vaccine injured children, VAERS, the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, vaccine literature supplied by the drug manufacturers, the CDC’s REAL reported disease statistics 1 – 5 years BEFORE each vaccine came on the market, the FDA’s claim on their website that they don’t test anything, the U.S. Department of Education’s statistics on children in IEP’s, etc. Those are the facts buddy – the rest is all BS and a waste of good reading time. Vaccines ARE NOT responsible for eradication of disease (based on information obtained from the CDC) AND DO damage at the very minimum – thousands of people each year.

Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 9:51 am

Holisticmom

I do not know of any investigations into MMR and autism that were funded by the pharmaceutical companies. Though I am uncertain of the sgnificance of this point unless you are saying that academics of the stature of Eric Fombonne and Michael Rutter have been paid to lie about the MMR by pharmaceutical companies.

I do know of a number of studies purporting to show a connection between MMR and autism which were paid for by lawyers acting for parents in vaccine compensation cases. In the UK millions of pounds of tax payers money was paid out in legal aid to finance this. Dr Bustin and Dr Chadwick have since given testimony at the Omnibus Autism Proceedings which showed that the findings from this reseach were fatally flawed.

Regarding Thiomersal, the trace elements of mercury remaining in vaccines are traces, fractions of a microgram. Remember the claim was that the increase from 75 micrograms to 187 micrograms triggered the increase in autism, not fractions of a microgram. Flu vaccine? The only one licenced for under 2 year olds last year was mercury free.

Autism as an autoimmune disorder? There is very little research published and the data is contradictory and controversial. Amarel at MIND talks about some children having very robust immune systems and others being sickly. With maybe 1 per cent of the population somewhere on the spectrum you can probably find correlations with anything if you look.

Cannot beat Mother Nature? Smallpox eradicated – that was a result for us and vaccines.

Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 7:48 am

Mike, your response to my post is long with many points – I will try to touch on them all. First of all, you say, “the claim that vaccines cause autism is a serious one that has to be met. It used to be that MMR was blamed, especially in the UK.” The MMR is still blamed. Wakefield’s study was real. Show me a study not funded by the pharmaceutical industry that shows there is no connection and perhaps we can talk.

As to all the “thimerosal-has-been-removed” talk, it really hasn’t been removed. There are still trace amounts “allowed” and no one is really overseeing the “trace” amounts. Also, most flu vaccines still contain mercury (you can ask for mercury-free, but with all this propaganda stating that the mercury has been removed from vaccines, most parents probably don’t even know to ask for them). Most Hep-B and DTaP vaccines also have mercury. I will try to find you the studies about the “trace amounts” not being so trace at all and will post later.

Lastly, autism is considered by many to be an autoimmune disorder – that means the body is attacking itself. It’s not JUST the thimerosal or aluminum or other toxins that cause autism. It’s the whole process of the shot. Here is what a friend wrote in a letter to a family member that pretty much covers what I want to say: “When a child is injected (unnaturally) with a vaccine filled with a killed or live virus and other ingredients such as heavy metals,

formaldehyde, neomycin/antibiotics, etc. it bypasses the “built in”

immune system and the foreign “intruders” cause the body to go into a

state of confusion and continuous inflammation–the TH1/2/3 cells are

not activated properly, causing auto-immunity–the body, in essence,

attacks itself, resulting in illnesses like asthma, allergies, autism/

ADHD, eczema, lupus, etc. Consider that vaccines never provide true

immunity, which is why vaccines “wear off” and children need

continuous boosters–and why disease epidemics often occur in fully

or near-fully vaccinated populations.”

That is the true reason autism rates haven’t gone down when certain ingredients have been removed (or not removed). It’s not natural. I wish humans would learn that we can’t beat Mother Nature.

dawncrim
Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 7:19 am

Arthur Allen is actually the person who is full of shit. I’ve counted countless lies throughout the entire article!

First of all, over 8,000 attendees were at this rally (they also had to preregister for this event). Arthur Allen must be feeding this same bullshit to the U.K. media because they are also claiming fewer than 1,000 people showed up. Lies, lies, lies.

Also, in 1983 Autism affected 1 in 10,000. It now affects 1 in 67 ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CHILDREN (that are in IEP’s for Autism) according to the U.S. DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION. Don’t believe me? Check this out for yourself.

Also, thousands of parents have claims success with biomedical treatment. Go to http://www.generationrescue.org Yes, they do blame our “powers that be” for poisoning their children in the first place. Some parents have had to spend as much as $500,000 to get their child back to normal. Others have divorced, committed suicide, or just end up killing themselves and children due to the feeling of hopeless (absolutely no hope according to the so-called medical professionals). Autism is a nightmare.

This guy Arthur Allen is a bozo. I sent him an email asking him to respond to all of my facts (which were statements by the CDC or information dervived from the vaccine literature). Of course, he told me that he didn’t have time to respond. My guess is that he has been paid off by “our powers that be”. For someone that claims to be such an “expert” on the subject – makes me laugh because everything he states is a blatent lie – and the CDC and drug companies own reported information proves it.

This other guy Mike Stanton is a bozo too. He also has no clue what he is talking about. I guess he forgot that the MMR was removed from the market in Japan believe it caused encephilitis in every 1,044 babies (BRAIN SWELLING). Also, MERCURY HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED IN THE U.S. (only lowered to trace amounts while the aluminum content was sharply raised). Aluminum and mercury combined result in synergystic toxicity (the affects of the mercury are more devastating). An independent lab tested 4 mercury free vials (HAPI) and they all contained mercury. The FDA no longer requires it to be listed if it is in trace amounts (meaning less than .3 micrograms). Of course, they also don’t test these vaccines either for exact mercury content(please refer to their website for their drug disclaimer). Furthermore, the ONLY way that mercury is excreted from the body is through bile, which is something an infant does not produce until 6 mo. of age. Where does it go? Straight to the infant’s brain – which is why it is not detected in blood, hair, etc (unless the patient is IMMEDIATELY tested after vaccination).

So, with that said, I URGE EVERYONE to refer to this link for vaccine ingredients:

Print off the vaccine literature from the website, take it to a chemist, and have that person explain the affects of each ingredient. They will tell you that many of these same ingredients are contained in their lab with skulls and crossbones on the label.

Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 7:15 am

giantrobot, I do not know what you are reading or hearing, but EVERY story I have heard (and there have been hundreds I *personally* have read or heard about – plus thousands and thousands more that I don’t know about, I am sure!) have been about how children regress IMMEDIATELY AFTER their shots!! Have you read Evidence of Harm? The one boy started his chronic diarrhea the day he got home from getting his shots!!

If you think we’re not “doing our homework,” perhaps you should look a little more deeply at yourself. Give me a break!

giantrobot
Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 11:56 pm

I have read through the comments and I must have missed the place where the “green vaccine” crowd answered the questions Mr. Allen posed.

So, what number of vaccines is too many?

What vaccines can or should we do without?

We know that Jenny McCarthy’s organization thinks we can (and should) do without Measles, Mumps and Rubella. If that’s your position, state it clearly when you talk to the press and your legislators.

Mr. Carrey put pressure on a group in New Mexico and had a free vaccine clinic cancelled. At least, this is what the blog run by the organization that Ms. McCarthy fronts bragged about recently. Luckily the recent measles outbreak missed New Mexico. I wonder what the response would have been if that area had been hit? Would Dr. Gordon congratulate them on getting natural immunity? Would anyone have accepted some responsibility if anyone was injured or killed?

giantrobot
Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 11:47 pm

“MOST parents of autistic children can pinpoint when their child(ren) started failing

epiwonk
Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 9:51 pm

Adrienne,

You say,

“Your heels are dug in and your mind will not be changed. I wonder what evidence would change your mind

Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 6:34 pm

Adrienne,

Wendy Fournier and Arthur Allen have a history. He thinks she is full of shit and told her so. That does not translate into disrespect for all the parents on the march.

Do you have a cite for the 8000 figure? I watched the entire march pass a traffic cam on the Mall and put the numbers at no more than 2000.

Then comes your selective quote:

“(The parents of these children have difficult lives and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to care for their kids.) Feeling ripped off, they blame the government and industry, and say that environmental toxins and vaccines are responsible.”

The part you omitted in brackets gives a context for why the parents feel ripped off. I feel ripped off by the way the system dealt with my son. I am sure that timely provision of services and support to parents would do a lot to alleviate this feeling and assist greatly in helping parents come to terms with their child’s autism.

Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 6:19 pm

Holisticmom,

the claim that vaccines cause autism is a serious one that has to be met. It used to be that MMR was blamed, especially in the UK. Then the opportunity for a natural experiment arose. In Japan they used an MMR vaccine whose Mumps component was linked to meningitis. As a result MMR was dropped in 1993 and single jabs introduced. But autism rates continued to rise. New Scientist carries the story here. http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7076

In the United States autism was linked to thiomersal. Exposure to thiomersal more than doubled the exposure to ethyl mercury from 75 to 187 microgams at a time when recorded rates of autism rose to 1 in 150. In the UK exposure to thiomersal in the childhood vaccine schedule remained constant at 75 micrograms until 2003 when it was removed. But our autism rates went up the same as in the USA. And there has been no decline in autism in either country since thiomersal was eliminated from both our childhood vaccine schedules.

Now we are told that there are too many vaccines. Yet todays vaccine schedule contains less antigens than ever before.

As too the ingredients, now the mercury is gone they are turning to aluminium As someone commented recently on my blog

“The aluminum in vaccines come as nano-sized fibers that lodge in the tissue at the injection site. They recruit immune cells to enhance the antibody response. The aluminum fibers are stuck in the tissue, they do not circulate in the body.

“And yet, the anti-vax crowd keeps perseverating on aluminum and make wild claims that since thimerosal was eliminated aluminum content has increased. This is patently false as aluminum is not a preservative.”

It is not enough for parents to to say that they know the vaccines caused their child’s autism because they noticed the autism shortly after the child had their shots. Correlation does not equal causation. First we need to establish a biologically plausible pathway with a reasonable timesacale for cause and effect and then test it. MMR was plausible but can now be discounted. Likewise thiomersal. The increased vaccine burden is implausible. So what’s next? A hypothetical link to aluminium?

The argument that a significant number of children are autistic because of vaccines does not stand up to scrutiny. The argument that a tiny number of autistic children are autistic because of vaccines is possible. But these would be exceptional cases, like all the other compensable vaccine injuries that are dealt with every year. But it seems that it is only among a vocal minority of parents within the autism community that these cases are seen as a reason to campaign against and call into question the safety of the vaccine programme for all children.

adrienne
Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 4:51 pm

mikestanton,

I beg your pardon, but exactly WHAT PART of Arthur Allen’s non-journalistic angry opinion of this event was “clearly respectful?” What it this line, “

Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 3:50 pm

But mikestanton, can’t autism still be linked to vaccines for SOME people?? Just because you don’t believe YOUR child was affected by vaccines, MOST parents of autistic children can pinpoint when their child(ren) started failing – and that usually coincides with when they recieved their vaccines. Does it have to be black and white? Can autism have more than one cause?? I don’t understand the rift between the two sets of parents. (For the record, my child is not autistic, although I only know parents of children who know their child’s autism was caused by the vaccine.)

Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 2:10 pm

The original article by Arthur Allen is clearly respectful towards the parents’ situation while being in total disagreement with their point of view that vaccines are responsible for their children being autistic. For this he is ridiculed for his appearance, reviled by some as a pharma shill and subject to ferocious rebukes because he states what I and many other parents of autistic think. Vaccines did not cause my child’s autism and I see no reason to believe in a vaccine induced epidemic.

It would be nice to be able to respond to the scientific objections to the position I share with Arthur without all this personal antipathy.

ladyoflewis
Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 11:49 am

Kristina Chew writes:

sarah15
Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 10:30 am

I don’t understand why its such a leap to contemplate that we may have crossed the line in terms of vaccine dosage. Its generally accepted that any drug or substance will cause toxicity and damage if given in too great a quantity. Why such flat denial that some kids are receiving vaccine overdoses? Its not about ‘which vaccines would you do without’ – its about cumulative effect. Do the study – a real study with a CLEAN control group of never-vaccinated and see if a significant subset of the population is susceptible to vaccine-damage. If the study reveals this – then go through the schedule and get rid of any vaccine that is not necessary. Not everything on the schedule guards against life-threatening epidemics. Saving every life is a noble cause, but if we are decimating the neurological function of an entire generation – the balance of risks and benefits must be restored.

greenvaccines
Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 10:22 am

Mr Allen,

Exactly how many vaccines have you received? If you have not received the recommended 36 than according to your recommendations to parents YOU are a threat to society and might spread the scourge of diseases…Practice what you preach, my friend.

SHAME on you for attacking a kind mother of a child who was FULLY Vaccinated who suffers daily, and has yet to utter a word since vaccination.

Perhaps in the future you might try and act decent, “professional” and have some compassion while in the company of 8,500 parents (police estimate) who struggle with the daily heartbreak and care of their brain damaged children, what ever you believe the cause may be.

Leslie,

Mother of a FULLY vaccinated child (now 10)

*Who quickly regressed afterward…

*Was told to put her in an institution…

*Has a diagnosis of heavy metal poisoning…

*Has a rare auto-immune disease…

*Requires round the clock constant care…

*Has yet to utter a word since 18 months…

*Is in recovery due to Bio-medical intervention and numerous therapies.

Maybe you should investigate the chidldren themselves, and open your mind and your eyes.

Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 6:27 am

One more thing – way back in our grandparents’ and great-grandparents’ time there was this thing called BREAST FEEDING. You may have heard of it. Because the mothers likely had all these illnesses, breastmilk passed antibodies to infants to help them through outbreaks of illnesses. They DEFINITELY did not all die of VPDs!!

Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 6:24 am

Concernedparent, there are lots of reasons babies died – they could not all have died of supposedly vaccine-preventable illnesses!! Times were a LOT harder back then. If you know anything about vaccines, “immunity” comes after the danger period of infancy has passed (MMR isn’t given until at least 12 months, or now at 18 months, I believe).

You have a completely wrong idea of even simple illnesses like mumps!! If our grandfathers were all sterile, how the heck would we even be here?! The risk for mumps is that if children do not get it when they are CHILDREN and instead get it past puberty, there is a SLIGHT chance it could go into the testicles and an even SLIGHTER chance that it could cause sterility in A testicle (which is very, very rare and even rarer – much rarer – that it could cause sterility in both). Please do some research – it will help you with your fears.

I still don’t understand why the pro-vax people are so worried about what the rest of us are doing! If you are fearful of illness, take care of yourselves! You can’t rely on government or the pharmaceutical companies to take care of you – they are in this for profits, not altruistic concerns for the health of the world.

By the way, we are ALL concerned parents. That is why we are doing what we think is best for our children. Just like you.

vaccinfo
Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 12:12 am

The link between vaccination and autism is not just demonstrated from plenty of research, but it is common sense. Inject highly toxic substances, including known immune system SENSITISERS such as mercury, aluminium, formaldehyde and phenols, plus viral RNA etc directly past important outer levels of defence in the body and hey presto you get damage on a deep level, and of course a SENSITISED immune system. Only the degree and manifestation varies among individuals.

All comments to the contrary to that are quoting (not the data, but) conclusions and judgments where the vested interests are easily traceable. I don

allie90
Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 12:04 am

Jess18 – please also look into Homeopathic medicine – its a gentle way to treat your child without vaccines and avoid harmful drugs.

Don’t let some people fool you about when our grandparents lost little children/infants. There was no sewer system and lots of times no clean water. When you have these basic’s you don’t have all the disease’s.

Most of the vaccines today, are preventing normal childhood illness’s,

like Chickenpox, Mumps, measles.

Google ingredients of each vaccine, and you can even go to the CDC website and see the list of toxins.

There is a better way.

The worst thing to happen to your child is a weak immune system, a poor diet, and poor digestive system. Vaccines weaken the bodies

ablitity to stay healthy.

concernedparent
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 11:12 pm

Our grandparents and great grandparents survived when their siblings died as babies and children. That’s why if you go to old cemetaries you can see so many cute little gravestones with little baby angels on them. Our grandparents and great-grandparents had siblings who were sterile from mumps infections they got in their teen years. Our grandparents lost babies to fetal rubella infections or gave birth to handicapped babies because of it. I realize that many people would like to return to those days, but I would not.

Also, our great grandparents and parents and people of my generation (baby boomer) had lots of mercury exposure from all kinds of stuff, including stuff easily and frequently purchased without a prescription. People used to use calomel at huge doses for different things, it wasn’t just a “teething powder”. I can’t even guess how many bottles of merthiolate and mercurochrome my mother must have purchased in her lifetime (my mom is past 80 and shows no signs of mercury toxicity from all that handling of thimerosal in merthiolate).

The whacked out mercury moms and dads and the whacked out antivax squad are going to be tossed aside as useless by the new generation of parents of autistic kids, some of whom will, no doubt, be suing wi-fi device manufacturers and pesticide manufacturers and I expect that they’ll sue “evolution” for inventing Lyme disease, if they can figure out how to do that.

Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 9:31 pm

Jess18, which illnesses scare you? I recommend that you look at each vaccine and then each illness – which ones scare you? Research those (the illnesses and the vaccines) and weigh the risks of both. I have read more close to twenty books and have been in several online communities as well as a wonderful community in real life and through all of that, my fears are gone. A wonderful place to start is a book by Aviva Jill Romm called Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parents Guide. She goes over each illness and corresponding vaccine, but she also goes over how to recognize each illness, how to treat them and when to seek medical attention.

Our parents, grandparents, great-grandparents and many of us ourselves did not recieve these vaccines and we have made it this far. Scare tactics work wonders at getting us to react. Feed your child well, teach him to take care of himself (wash hands, etc) and trust in his immune system!

NVIC is a good resource as is the CDC Pink Pages, check VAERS for vaccine adverse events reports, do your research! You can always vaccinate later, but you cannot undo them once they are in your child.

jess18
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 6:31 pm

My son will be starting school this august. I have not vaccinated him because of all the awareness about the links to autism and other sickness. I am afraid this is a double edge sword. I am all for not vaccinated for the unnecessary. My fear is God forbid it be my son who catches something and its my fault. I feel that now that he is older and unlike a newborn he has and has built a strong immune system. I am thinking about getting him some vaccines before school. I am reaching out for knowledge on what vaccines people feel are safe and necessary ?? i am reaching out to those like Jenny McCarthy who have done homework and are truly knowledgeable about vaccines. Please if anyone has any words of wisdom?

Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 6:12 pm

And yes, some Amish I know vaccinate, but others don’t. You are right. Some do. They also eat CRAP (the ones that vaccinate.) Horrible food. Smoke too. The ones I know that don’t vaccinate, live on a farm and live mostly like you would sort of expect the Amish to live.

Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 6:09 pm

The CDC says the vaccine has never been studied for efficacy:

Page 7 of this pdf states:

Efficacy of the toxoid has never been studied in a vaccine

trial. It can be inferred from protective antitoxin levels that

a complete tetanus toxoid series has a clinical efficacy of

virtually 100%; cases of tetanus occurring in fully immunized

persons whose last dose was within the last 10 years are

extremely rare.

When was your last booster? Mine was in 1987. I’m not dead yet. No lock jaw. No really serious wounds, but I clean them when they occur. Not a worry of mine. I did have a nice, painful lump in my arm for about six months after the shot. It oozed pus for a while after that. Still have a scar. Small reaction, but I’d rather not risk a bigger one.

adrienne
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 5:07 pm

Well, I suppose the remaining question is this: If the governmental agencies are “certain” that there is no vaccine-autism link, then why on earth are there still CDC funded research studies continuing today? P.S. giantrobot, you’re partially correct. The Amish are vaccinating more today than in the past. And their ASD numbers are also on the rise. what’s really scary is that when they take their kids to ERs, the docs try to “catch them up.” A recipe for disaster. Jennifer, one of my boys is also recovering from vaccine-induced autism. congrats to you and yours for your victory!!!

chantele
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 3:42 pm

Hey giantrobot – I bet you wish your robot were giant…

Have you had your boosters lately??

chantele
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 3:38 pm

So you were the guy completely thrown out by the SWAT team at the rally!!!! You were causing a lot of trouble and NOT just asking a few minor questions. So what does it feel like to be completely manhandled? No wonder your article is for sh*t.

*Piece of advice you need a haircut and some new clothes. Yes, I am allowed to judge you.

giantrobot
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 3:36 pm

Will the idea that the Amish don’t vaccinate ever go away? They do. There are more PDD kids that Mr. Olmsted found (which is the number that Jennifer is repeating).

Read the science in the Omnibus transcripts when they come out. Deth’s theories on oxydative stress make no sense (according to the world experts on it). Boyd Haley’s ideas on mecury (which he couldn’t present because he isn’t an expert) make no sense. The real experts on mercury and autism spoke and it isn’t even like there is a question.

As to Simpsonwood, geez, will that ever go away? Even a U.S. Senate investigation showed nothing wrong there. What do you think Mr. Allen was referring to in his discussion of RFK Jr’s incredibly flawed story in Rolling Stone?

jenniferbarsamian
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 3:12 pm

The CDC and heads of the major drug comapnies (who produce the vaccines sold in the US) actually met in 1999 at the Simpsonwood Center in Norcross GA. The topic of the meeting….the absolute link between mercury preserved vaccines and autism. In the transcripts of the meeting the link was called undeniable. Please do your homework before writing an article like this. The CDC has known about the autism/vaccine link since 1999. Their response to the crisis…take the tainted vaccines and ship them overseas….don’t do a recall as that may alarm the public. Consequently the tainted vaccines remained on the shelves of US doctors offices as late as 2003 or 2004. What happened to the populations who received the excess tainted vaccines? Autism was virtually non-existant in China, but after 1999 the number of cases reported skyrocked to 1.8 million.

Amish aren’t vaccinated. There should be 130 autistic people in Lancaster county according to the national autism rates. There are only 4. Three of these children were adopted and received vaccines prior to arriving at the amish family. One autistic amish lived down wind of a powerplant which discharged mercury into the air.

Mercury in vaccines is not the only cause of autism. It is a large trigger accompanied by genetic and environmental factors. The science is real….read the studies by Richard Deth, Boyd Hayley, and the CDC among others.

As a side note. I have a child who was autistic, then underwent years of chelation therapy to remove the mercury from the vaccines from his body. He is now recovered, healthy and living an autism free life.

giantrobot
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 3:12 pm

“Arthur Allen are you paid by the pharma companies?”

I knew it couldn’t last. Sooner or later, someone had to pull the “pharma shill” card. The funny thing is that people go right past that and ask ” don

Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 2:43 pm

“Do they realize what it

chantele
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 2:19 pm

Arthur Allen are you paid by the pharma companies? Were you even at the same rally that I was? Not just watching little snip-its on TV, I mean actually there? I WAS THERE!

I am a mother of two children, none of which have autism. I think you went to the Rally and wanted to write a really good story, but may have gotten offended when one of the speakers told the rally supporters to be angry with the media. Because the media is to blame for most of the “mis-informed” press (like your article written above) who don’t read the studies themselves only to report what the CDC wants the report to say. **There were THOUSANDS (@ 8,000 to be exact) at the rally – Obviously math isn’t your strong point, since your article said there were only about 1,500. (You and the CDC wish there were only about 1,500 – If there were only 1,500 people the DC police wouldn’t have closed down a section of Independence Ave to march on.) They would’ve made us march only on the sidewalk – true story.

I love the part in your article where you say the most shots given “max” by age 2 is 28 (TOO MANY TOO SOON!) But there are 37 shots recommended by the CDC by age 6. (Here is the CDC schedule for your viewing pleasure: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/child/2008/08_0-6yrs_schedule_pr.pdf) **This # includes the newly recommended flu shots.

–BUT WAIT THERE’S MORE

By the time your child is 17 the # of recommended shots is 53 for girls (HPV – cervical cancer vaccine) or 50 for a boy. Here is the link for this information: (http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/child/2008/08_7-18yrs_schedule_pr.pdf) **This # includes the newly recommended flu shots.

You are nothing more than a pompous jackass who probably wishes he was writing for the New York Times or possibly even Playboy. But instead your boss made you cover the “Green Our Vaccines” rally and that made you mad. Hey, it’s not our fault your bitter.

I challenge you to read through an entire PRO-VACCINE book. It’s called The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears. I am a mother who DELAYS vaccination and due so BECAUSE of this PRO-VACCINE book. I have done my homework and do not feel like my child should get so many vaccines to protect the entire population of the US. Which brings me to my next question for you Arthur: Have you had your booster shots lately? If not, it appears that by the CDC’s recommendation you are in of 14 shots – of course this # doesn’t include the annual flu shot. (I looked you up online and you appear to be @ 60 years old; an unattractive 60, but still 60.) Oh and by the way, here is the link for your viewing pleasure: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/adult/07-08/adult-schedule-11×17.pdf.

**Anyone who reads this article – Your best source for the correct information would be to see it for yourself on YouTube.

Sincerely,

Chantele

egood
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 1:09 pm

Thank you for the coverage of this event. I agree that vaccines are an important issue right now. Dr. Jay Gordon is a great advocate of this issue especially since he looks at both sides, the pros and the cons of vaccinating. He has a great blog called vaccinatingyourbaby.com where he discusses his viewpoints. Thanks!

autismvox
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 12:23 pm

A mother of a boy in my son’s class—my son, and all the children in his class, are autistic—noted that it’s important for autistic children to get tetanus shots. Her son puts a lot of non-edible things into his mouth; my own son has a tendency to run outside without shoes and is not good at telling me when he might be in pain.

It was a rally about vaccines, not autism, as your report and those of others (“Age of Autism”) have indicated. Perhaps one day parents might rally round the need for more schools and school placements for autistic kids and housing and jobs for autistic adults—-but we may be too busy taking care of the day-to-day to go to a rally.

Someone left this comment on my blog regarding the internet and the spread of medical (mis)information:

“The internet has become in retrospect the best and worst thing to happen to medicine in the past quarter century. This, along with the inflated self-esteem of the general public (educated by anti-authority 60

autismparent
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 11:50 am

Hey Arthur…..Why dont you get your facts straight before reporting such falsified trash? Maybe take another course in good journalism, its obvious you didnt pay any attention to the first one.

Do you have a loved one with Autism? If not, your opinion does not matter-

autismparent
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 6:50 am

Do you have a loved one with Autism? If not, your opinion does not matter-

autismvox
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 7:23 am

A mother of a boy in my son's class—my son, and all the children in his class, are autistic—noted that it's important for autistic children to get tetanus shots. Her son puts a lot of non-edible things into his mouth; my own son has a tendency to run outside without shoes and is not good at telling me when he might be in pain.

egood
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 8:09 am

chantele
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 9:19 am

I am a mother of two children, none of which have autism. I think you went to the Rally and wanted to write a really good story, but may have gotten offended when one of the speakers told the rally supporters to be angry with the media. Because the media is to blame for most of the “mis-informed” press (like your article written above) who don't read the studies themselves only to report what the CDC wants the report to say. **There were THOUSANDS (@ 8,000 to be exact) at the rally – Obviously math isn't your strong point, since your article said there were only about 1,500. (You and the CDC wish there were only about 1,500 – If there were only 1,500 people the DC police wouldn't have closed down a section of Independence Ave to march on.) They would've made us march only on the sidewalk – true story.

I love the part in your article where you say the most shots given “max” by age 2 is 28 (TOO MANY TOO SOON!) But there are 37 shots recommended by the CDC by age 6. (Here is the CDC schedule for your viewing pleasure: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/down…) **This # includes the newly recommended flu shots.

–BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE

By the time your child is 17 the # of recommended shots is 53 for girls (HPV – cervical cancer vaccine) or 50 for a boy. Here is the link for this information: (http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/down…) **This # includes the newly recommended flu shots.

You are nothing more than a pompous jackass who probably wishes he was writing for the New York Times or possibly even Playboy. But instead your boss made you cover the “Green Our Vaccines” rally and that made you mad. Hey, it's not our fault your bitter.

I challenge you to read through an entire PRO-VACCINE book. It's called The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears. I am a mother who DELAYS vaccination and due so BECAUSE of this PRO-VACCINE book. I have done my homework and do not feel like my child should get so many vaccines to protect the entire population of the US. Which brings me to my next question for you Arthur: Have you had your booster shots lately? If not, it appears that by the CDC's recommendation you are in of 14 shots – of course this # doesn't include the annual flu shot. (I looked you up online and you appear to be @ 60 years old; an unattractive 60, but still 60.) Oh and by the way, here is the link for your viewing pleasure: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/down….

Sincerely,

Chantele

Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 9:43 am

“Do they realize what it

giantrobot
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 10:12 am

“Arthur Allen are you paid by the pharma companies?”

I knew it couldn't last. Sooner or later, someone had to pull the “pharma shill” card. The funny thing is that people go right past that and ask ” don

jenniferbarsamian
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 10:12 am

The CDC and heads of the major drug comapnies (who produce the vaccines sold in the US) actually met in 1999 at the Simpsonwood Center in Norcross GA. The topic of the meeting….the absolute link between mercury preserved vaccines and autism. In the transcripts of the meeting the link was called undeniable. Please do your homework before writing an article like this. The CDC has known about the autism/vaccine link since 1999. Their response to the crisis…take the tainted vaccines and ship them overseas….don't do a recall as that may alarm the public. Consequently the tainted vaccines remained on the shelves of US doctors offices as late as 2003 or 2004. What happened to the populations who received the excess tainted vaccines? Autism was virtually non-existant in China, but after 1999 the number of cases reported skyrocked to 1.8 million.

Amish aren't vaccinated. There should be 130 autistic people in Lancaster county according to the national autism rates. There are only 4. Three of these children were adopted and received vaccines prior to arriving at the amish family. One autistic amish lived down wind of a powerplant which discharged mercury into the air.

giantrobot
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 10:36 am

Will the idea that the Amish don't vaccinate ever go away? They do. There are more PDD kids that Mr. Olmsted found (which is the number that Jennifer is repeating).

Read the science in the Omnibus transcripts when they come out. Deth's theories on oxydative stress make no sense (according to the world experts on it). Boyd Haley's ideas on mecury (which he couldn't present because he isn't an expert) make no sense. The real experts on mercury and autism spoke and it isn't even like there is a question.

As to Simpsonwood, geez, will that ever go away? Even a U.S. Senate investigation showed nothing wrong there. What do you think Mr. Allen was referring to in his discussion of RFK Jr's incredibly flawed story in Rolling Stone?

chantele
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 10:38 am

chantele
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 10:42 am

Hey giantrobot – I bet you wish your robot were giant…

Have you had your boosters lately??

adrienne
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 12:07 pm

Well, I suppose the remaining question is this: If the governmental agencies are “certain” that there is no vaccine-autism link, then why on earth are there still CDC funded research studies continuing today? P.S. giantrobot, you're partially correct. The Amish are vaccinating more today than in the past. And their ASD numbers are also on the rise. what's really scary is that when they take their kids to ERs, the docs try to “catch them up.” A recipe for disaster. Jennifer, one of my boys is also recovering from vaccine-induced autism. congrats to you and yours for your victory!!!

Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 1:09 pm

The CDC says the vaccine has never been studied for efficacy:

Page 7 of this pdf states:

Efficacy of the toxoid has never been studied in a vaccine

trial. It can be inferred from protective antitoxin levels that

a complete tetanus toxoid series has a clinical efficacy of

virtually 100%; cases of tetanus occurring in fully immunized

persons whose last dose was within the last 10 years are

extremely rare.

When was your last booster? Mine was in 1987. I'm not dead yet. No lock jaw. No really serious wounds, but I clean them when they occur. Not a worry of mine. I did have a nice, painful lump in my arm for about six months after the shot. It oozed pus for a while after that. Still have a scar. Small reaction, but I'd rather not risk a bigger one.

Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 1:12 pm

And yes, some Amish I know vaccinate, but others don't. You are right. Some do. They also eat CRAP (the ones that vaccinate.) Horrible food. Smoke too. The ones I know that don't vaccinate, live on a farm and live mostly like you would sort of expect the Amish to live.

jess18
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 1:31 pm

Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 4:31 pm

concernedparent
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 6:12 pm

Our grandparents and great grandparents survived when their siblings died as babies and children. That's why if you go to old cemetaries you can see so many cute little gravestones with little baby angels on them. Our grandparents and great-grandparents had siblings who were sterile from mumps infections they got in their teen years. Our grandparents lost babies to fetal rubella infections or gave birth to handicapped babies because of it. I realize that many people would like to return to those days, but I would not.

Also, our great grandparents and parents and people of my generation (baby boomer) had lots of mercury exposure from all kinds of stuff, including stuff easily and frequently purchased without a prescription. People used to use calomel at huge doses for different things, it wasn't just a “teething powder”. I can't even guess how many bottles of merthiolate and mercurochrome my mother must have purchased in her lifetime (my mom is past 80 and shows no signs of mercury toxicity from all that handling of thimerosal in merthiolate).

The whacked out mercury moms and dads and the whacked out antivax squad are going to be tossed aside as useless by the new generation of parents of autistic kids, some of whom will, no doubt, be suing wi-fi device manufacturers and pesticide manufacturers and I expect that they'll sue “evolution” for inventing Lyme disease, if they can figure out how to do that.

allie90
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 7:04 pm

Don't let some people fool you about when our grandparents lost little children/infants. There was no sewer system and lots of times no clean water. When you have these basic's you don't have all the disease's.

Most of the vaccines today, are preventing normal childhood illness's,

like Chickenpox, Mumps, measles.

There is a better way.

ablitity to stay healthy.

vaccinfo
Comment posted June 6, 2008 @ 7:12 pm

Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 1:24 am

Concernedparent, there are lots of reasons babies died – they could not all have died of supposedly vaccine-preventable illnesses!! Times were a LOT harder back then. If you know anything about vaccines, “immunity” comes after the danger period of infancy has passed (MMR isn't given until at least 12 months, or now at 18 months, I believe).

I still don't understand why the pro-vax people are so worried about what the rest of us are doing! If you are fearful of illness, take care of yourselves! You can't rely on government or the pharmaceutical companies to take care of you – they are in this for profits, not altruistic concerns for the health of the world.

Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 1:27 am

One more thing – way back in our grandparents' and great-grandparents' time there was this thing called BREAST FEEDING. You may have heard of it. Because the mothers likely had all these illnesses, breastmilk passed antibodies to infants to help them through outbreaks of illnesses. They DEFINITELY did not all die of VPDs!!

greenvaccines
Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 5:22 am

Mr Allen,

Leslie,

Mother of a FULLY vaccinated child (now 10)

*Who quickly regressed afterward…

*Was told to put her in an institution…

*Has a diagnosis of heavy metal poisoning…

*Has a rare auto-immune disease…

*Requires round the clock constant care…

*Has yet to utter a word since 18 months…

*Is in recovery due to Bio-medical intervention and numerous therapies.

sarah15
Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 5:30 am

I don't understand why its such a leap to contemplate that we may have crossed the line in terms of vaccine dosage. Its generally accepted that any drug or substance will cause toxicity and damage if given in too great a quantity. Why such flat denial that some kids are receiving vaccine overdoses? Its not about 'which vaccines would you do without' – its about cumulative effect. Do the study – a real study with a CLEAN control group of never-vaccinated and see if a significant subset of the population is susceptible to vaccine-damage. If the study reveals this – then go through the schedule and get rid of any vaccine that is not necessary. Not everything on the schedule guards against life-threatening epidemics. Saving every life is a noble cause, but if we are decimating the neurological function of an entire generation – the balance of risks and benefits must be restored.

ladyoflewis
Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 6:49 am

Kristina Chew writes:

Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 9:10 am

The original article by Arthur Allen is clearly respectful towards the parents' situation while being in total disagreement with their point of view that vaccines are responsible for their children being autistic. For this he is ridiculed for his appearance, reviled by some as a pharma shill and subject to ferocious rebukes because he states what I and many other parents of autistic think. Vaccines did not cause my child's autism and I see no reason to believe in a vaccine induced epidemic.

Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 10:50 am

But mikestanton, can't autism still be linked to vaccines for SOME people?? Just because you don't believe YOUR child was affected by vaccines, MOST parents of autistic children can pinpoint when their child(ren) started failing – and that usually coincides with when they recieved their vaccines. Does it have to be black and white? Can autism have more than one cause?? I don't understand the rift between the two sets of parents. (For the record, my child is not autistic, although I only know parents of children who know their child's autism was caused by the vaccine.)

adrienne
Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 11:51 am

mikestanton,

I beg your pardon, but exactly WHAT PART of Arthur Allen's non-journalistic angry opinion of this event was “clearly respectful?” What it this line, “

Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 1:19 pm

Holisticmom,

It is not enough for parents to to say that they know the vaccines caused their child's autism because they noticed the autism shortly after the child had their shots. Correlation does not equal causation. First we need to establish a biologically plausible pathway with a reasonable timesacale for cause and effect and then test it. MMR was plausible but can now be discounted. Likewise thiomersal. The increased vaccine burden is implausible. So what's next? A hypothetical link to aluminium?

Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 1:34 pm

Adrienne,

Then comes your selective quote:

The part you omitted in brackets gives a context for why the parents feel ripped off. I feel ripped off by the way the system dealt with my son. I am sure that timely provision of services and support to parents would do a lot to alleviate this feeling and assist greatly in helping parents come to terms with their child's autism.

epiwonk
Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 4:51 pm

Adrienne,

You say,

giantrobot
Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 6:47 pm

giantrobot
Comment posted June 7, 2008 @ 6:56 pm

So, what number of vaccines is too many?

What vaccines can or should we do without?

We know that Jenny McCarthy's organization thinks we can (and should) do without Measles, Mumps and Rubella. If that's your position, state it clearly when you talk to the press and your legislators.

Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 2:15 am

giantrobot, I do not know what you are reading or hearing, but EVERY story I have heard (and there have been hundreds I *personally* have read or heard about – plus thousands and thousands more that I don't know about, I am sure!) have been about how children regress IMMEDIATELY AFTER their shots!! Have you read Evidence of Harm? The one boy started his chronic diarrhea the day he got home from getting his shots!!

If you think we're not “doing our homework,” perhaps you should look a little more deeply at yourself. Give me a break!

dawncrim
Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 2:19 am

Arthur Allen is actually the person who is full of shit. I've counted countless lies throughout the entire article!

Also, in 1983 Autism affected 1 in 10,000. It now affects 1 in 67 ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CHILDREN (that are in IEP's for Autism) according to the U.S. DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION. Don't believe me? Check this out for yourself.

This guy Arthur Allen is a bozo. I sent him an email asking him to respond to all of my facts (which were statements by the CDC or information dervived from the vaccine literature). Of course, he told me that he didn't have time to respond. My guess is that he has been paid off by “our powers that be”. For someone that claims to be such an “expert” on the subject – makes me laugh because everything he states is a blatent lie – and the CDC and drug companies own reported information proves it.

This other guy Mike Stanton is a bozo too. He also has no clue what he is talking about. I guess he forgot that the MMR was removed from the market in Japan believe it caused encephilitis in every 1,044 babies (BRAIN SWELLING). Also, MERCURY HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED IN THE U.S. (only lowered to trace amounts while the aluminum content was sharply raised). Aluminum and mercury combined result in synergystic toxicity (the affects of the mercury are more devastating). An independent lab tested 4 mercury free vials (HAPI) and they all contained mercury. The FDA no longer requires it to be listed if it is in trace amounts (meaning less than .3 micrograms). Of course, they also don't test these vaccines either for exact mercury content(please refer to their website for their drug disclaimer). Furthermore, the ONLY way that mercury is excreted from the body is through bile, which is something an infant does not produce until 6 mo. of age. Where does it go? Straight to the infant's brain – which is why it is not detected in blood, hair, etc (unless the patient is IMMEDIATELY tested after vaccination).

Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 2:48 am

Mike, your response to my post is long with many points – I will try to touch on them all. First of all, you say, “the claim that vaccines cause autism is a serious one that has to be met. It used to be that MMR was blamed, especially in the UK.” The MMR is still blamed. Wakefield's study was real. Show me a study not funded by the pharmaceutical industry that shows there is no connection and perhaps we can talk.

As to all the “thimerosal-has-been-removed” talk, it really hasn't been removed. There are still trace amounts “allowed” and no one is really overseeing the “trace” amounts. Also, most flu vaccines still contain mercury (you can ask for mercury-free, but with all this propaganda stating that the mercury has been removed from vaccines, most parents probably don't even know to ask for them). Most Hep-B and DTaP vaccines also have mercury. I will try to find you the studies about the “trace amounts” not being so trace at all and will post later.

Lastly, autism is considered by many to be an autoimmune disorder – that means the body is attacking itself. It's not JUST the thimerosal or aluminum or other toxins that cause autism. It's the whole process of the shot. Here is what a friend wrote in a letter to a family member that pretty much covers what I want to say: “When a child is injected (unnaturally) with a vaccine filled with a killed or live virus and other ingredients such as heavy metals,

formaldehyde, neomycin/antibiotics, etc. it bypasses the “built in”

immune system and the foreign “intruders” cause the body to go into a

state of confusion and continuous inflammation–the TH1/2/3 cells are

not activated properly, causing auto-immunity–the body, in essence,

attacks itself, resulting in illnesses like asthma, allergies, autism/

ADHD, eczema, lupus, etc. Consider that vaccines never provide true

immunity, which is why vaccines “wear off” and children need

continuous boosters–and why disease epidemics often occur in fully

or near-fully vaccinated populations.”

That is the true reason autism rates haven't gone down when certain ingredients have been removed (or not removed). It's not natural. I wish humans would learn that we can't beat Mother Nature.

Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 4:51 am

Holisticmom

dawncrim
Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 5:12 am

I, on the other hand have obtained my information from a variety of sources – thousands of parents of vaccine injured children, VAERS, the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, vaccine literature supplied by the drug manufacturers, the CDC's REAL reported disease statistics 1 – 5 years BEFORE each vaccine came on the market, the FDA's claim on their website that they don't test anything, the U.S. Department of Education's statistics on children in IEP's, etc. Those are the facts buddy – the rest is all BS and a waste of good reading time. Vaccines ARE NOT responsible for eradication of disease (based on information obtained from the CDC) AND DO damage at the very minimum – thousands of people each year.

giantrobot
Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 8:29 am

jess18
Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 10:48 am

Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 11:24 am

giantrobot – to me regression means a slow turning back, just as you describe. Not necessarily a switch, but a turn around. I apologize for not not being clear. I know for some people it is a switch, but for others it is as the Poling's describe, but the BEGINNING of the regression is immediately after the shots.

Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 12:51 pm

Jess

Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 1:11 pm

mikestanton, what horrible diseases are you referring to?

Comment posted June 8, 2008 @ 7:55 pm

holisticmom,

the diseases we vaccinate against.

martin1234
Comment posted June 9, 2008 @ 1:18 am

Mike

q1 did you child have a severe reaction to any vaccination
q3 does you child have food intolerances

SO MUCH FOR MEDICAL ADVANCES

sgoewey
Comment posted June 9, 2008 @ 4:06 pm

Thank you holistic mom. I got on to comment, but most of my points would be redundant with yours. Please keep it up! I waste too much time trying to enlighten stubborn minds that want to believe CDC,FDA,pharmaceuticals,Am.Dental Assn, AMA, are all infalliable. And yes, chicken pox is an easy one to eliminate. So is Hep. B…NEVER give on Day 1 of baby's life…though that is SOP. And do not get flu shot. Eat right exercise instead. I know M-M-R…can be serious, but I had all 3 as a child and none were very bad cases. The rally made me sad so many families are affected. So many more could not come. Blogging while your kid sleeps is a lot easier than planning a rally!

f64club
Comment posted June 9, 2008 @ 7:33 pm

questor
Comment posted June 10, 2008 @ 5:44 pm

Okay, this seems like a largely hostile discussion, so I'm going to go out on a limb and not read each and every comment before posting.

Medical evidence supports a link between the drastic increase in autism and the drastic increase in the number of vaccines given. Dr. Stephanie Cave's book “What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations” gives excellent information shot by shot, including convincing scientific documentation of her points. She is a family practitioner who specializes in integrated medical therapies that treat autistic children, as well as those with ADHD.

She notes in particular a huge upswing in cases when HepB was added to the list of vaccinations…basically right at birth. Why? Not because infants are in a high-risk group for HepB; the high-risk groups are people sexually active with multiple partners and IV drug users. Call me crazy, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to hold off a few years on that one. (Don't think Baby Johnny's going to be shooting up until at least the playground years.)

It is a well-know fact that infants' immune systems and ability to process waste are not well-developed at birth. It is also a documented certainty that: a) many of the people who get diseases like chicken pox were immunized in childhood; and b) if they had simply gone through the discomfort of it as a child, it would most likely been annoying for a few days, followed by lifelong immunity. These diseases are nearly always more serious for adults. So immunizing against fairly harmless childhood diseases is pointless and largely counterproductive.

As for not seeing a direct and immediate connection… My son went from being ahead of the game in speech, learning a couple of new words every day when he was less than a year old, to a complete stall and partial regression that lasted for months–all coinciding with his shots. After that, we delayed additional vaccinations and he's regained ground, once again learning at a reasonably fast pace. Circumstantial? Maybe. But I had to weigh the risks and felt that his development was at greater risk than his immunological health in the near term. The CDC has been wrong too many times before, giving vaccines for years, then suddenly pulling them from the shelves. As a society, we're in too big of a hurry on just about everything–including vaccines we shoot straight into our bodies.

jess18
Comment posted June 14, 2008 @ 4:22 am

MikeStanton, in response we vaccinate for things such as chicken pox. What is so horrible about dealing with an itchy child for a few days that we rather risk the possibility of putting harmful chemicals in them? … Having to vaccinate them multiple times for something they could catch, live with for a few days and most likely never have to experience again. I firmly believe in knowledge and to be knowledgeable about everything. From my understanding many of the vaccines are diseases that can be treated. So i think with the risks involved it comes down to knowledge being the best solution. Know the signs of these so called horrible diseases, Keep a close eye on are loved ones, Don't hesitate to ask questions or see a doctor when concerns arise. Always listen to your conscience and a mothers intuition is a powerful thing. I battle with concerns over this debate all the time. We love are children and want only the best for them. We cant ignore that there is a problem and to me it is obvious common sense just in the fact that with the rise of vaccines there has been arise in autism and other sickness. I would also like to say or ask do you have a child who you have seen regress after being vaccinated?? Have you experienced that lost connection with your child? That forever changing moment in your life? I myself have not, but its in these people you see the power of love and dedication and there reaching out and fighting for are children and seeking knowledge and solution and for that you can not condemn them.

joannegmurphy
Comment posted June 18, 2008 @ 10:48 am

My heart goes out to these parents and I know if God forbid something terrible happened to my child, I would want to blame someone/something so I didn't go crazy. But surely there has to be a way to refine the association more accurately. For example, what about countries where children are not routinely vaccinated? Is there autism in those countries? If not, the parents may be right. But if autism exists in places with no vaccines, they have a harder case to make.

Conversely, are there highly-vaccinated places with little or no autism?

tane55
Comment posted July 5, 2008 @ 5:35 pm

The point Missed is “That we are all at risk” we have polluted our environment to the point that we all have Heavy Metal Poisioning Mercury is the meanest Kid on the Block. Lead is very dangerous because of it's ability to mutate DNA.

There is no safe level of Mercury in the Body.

There is no safe limit for Lead in your body.

Many metal increase the effects of other metals and very little is known

Google Heavy Metal Poisoning Now !

tane55
Comment posted July 5, 2008 @ 7:59 pm

Dont believe all the surveys there are. Working in an office with 3 other assistants and all three have children with Autism, what is that telling you. Don't believe everything you hear from the medical community. They are down playing how many children have Autism. Do you want to risk having your child having Autism? Don't forget the children who have learning disablities or children with ADD. Mercury killed my son. 7 Specialist and not one could figure out why he was sick. He had to die before they figured out it was Mercury that killed him. Do your research, go on line look up Mercury poisoning, or better yet heavy metal poisoning. There is a ton of research material out there. We know we have studied it for two years since my son died.

There is treatment for Heavy Metal Poisoning. Chelation!!

tane55
Comment posted July 5, 2008 @ 7:59 pm

There is treatment for Heavy Metal Poisoning. Chelation!!

Leigh
Comment posted October 23, 2008 @ 8:09 pm

Their is no evidence that shows a link between autism and vaccination. There is in fact many studies that show their is not a link. I think that people to need a history lesson to be reminded of the mortality rates of diseases such as measles and whooping cough before vaccines came along. While I do not believe that vaccines in any way cause Autism, i would say that i would rather have a live child with autism than a dead child. But hey that's just me.

Anorexia
Comment posted January 30, 2009 @ 6:16 pm

nice article! nice site. you're in my rss feed now ;-)
keep it up

Jorge Avilas
Comment posted February 1, 2009 @ 9:27 am

nice article! nice site. you're in my rss feed now ;-)
keep it up

James J Connell
Comment posted February 1, 2009 @ 10:33 pm

nice article! nice site. you're in my rss feed now ;-)
keep it up

Gerald V Robinson
Comment posted February 15, 2009 @ 8:49 pm

i luv your blog :), you are on my rss reader now

Viajes Internacionales
Comment posted February 16, 2009 @ 4:49 am

i luv your blog :), you are on my rss reader now

Plastics Springs
Comment posted July 16, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

wow, i read this article, but what impressed me more was Tane55's comment !

Ionut8313
Comment posted July 29, 2010 @ 2:40 pm

Autism can be eased if the patient starts the treatment early