Former New Mexico Gov. Johnson confirmed for Thursday debate
Gary Johnson’s presidential campaign has received confirmation that the former New Mexico governor will be allowed to participate in Thursday night’s debate.
“We are obviously very pleased to have this opportunity to participate,” Johnson said in a statement.
“I am bringing forward a voice to the debate that has gone largely unheard thus far and I am convinced that a lot of voters are ready to listen. I’m promising to submit a balanced budget in 2013 and I am further pledging to veto any spending legislation that exceeds revenue.”
The campaign notes that while serving in New Mexico Johnson vetoed 750 bills and thousands of line items, and kept his pledge to never raise taxes. When voters in candidates’ home states are asked to provide their opinion of the presidential hopefuls, Johnson was the only person within the field who was viewed positively.
Although Johnson’s statement regarding the debate focused on fiscal policy, he has also been incredibly outspoken on and critical of the influence of social conservative issues on the country and the GOP.
“There is no majority in America that can be built on hypocrisy and inconsistency,” Johnson said last month while addressing the National Press Club.
The reliance on social conservatism as a major candidacy requirement, Johnson added, runs the risk of a nominee and perception “that will regulate [Republicans] to a minority status for a generation or more.”
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.